O-line problems

I haven't seen the game yet. I will record the game on my DVR (3am?? Thanks NFL Network!) and watch it later.

But from what I gather , the O-line had another bad night. So I ask: Is the problem that all the Bills linemen stink, or one or two slackers dragging the entire group down? I guess we need to also ask: Is McNally the O-line genius he was touted to be?

PTR

I haven't seen the game yet.  I will record the game on my DVR (3am??  Thanks NFL Network!)  and watch it later.

But from what I gather , the O-line had another bad night.  So I ask: Is the problem that all the Bills linemen stink, or one or two slackers dragging the entire group down?  I guess we need to also ask: Is McNally the O-line genius he was touted to be?

PTR

742524[/snapback]

I'm not a fan of how the Bills patched up the OL this offseason but with a new scheme and three new starters (if you count Peters) I'm willing to give them some time before I pass judement on them.

not to defend McNally but look at what they gave him

a converted TE playing RT

an overpaid loaf playing RG

a guy more suited for G playing LT ( and backup G at that )

and two new guys playing C and LG ( not to mention there wasnt a lot of interest out there for these two )

and the team drafts DBs with 3 of their first 4 picks

can you really blame the guy?

and two new guys playing C and LG ( not to mention there wasnt a lot of interest out there for these two )

742548[/snapback]

Amen! Unless McNally's resume includes prior experience parting the Red Sea, I wouldn't give him (or anyone else for that matter) much hope of making this group look good.

Why are most of you trashing our O-Line?

The Bills just played the first preseason game, and againt one of the best D-Lines in all of football. This is the first game-action our starting O-Line has seen together, and we played our full roster at O-Line trying to give everyone a look.

Yes, there were some bad plays by everyone (most notably the sack by Peppers if you ask me, and Peters is my favorite player), but, they did not look that bad. Sure I'd like better, and think the O-line is very important, but they are moving in the right direction, apparently already better than last year.

So, what gives? Calling for McNally's job? What's wrong with you people?

Is this caused by what you saw in this game? If so, please tell me why you think it will be a miracle if they can play well together? Or, are you frustrated with how our O-Line has played in recent years, in which case why are are you trashing this line? They haven't been blocking for our team for long.....

I haven't seen the game yet.  I will record the game on my DVR (3am??  Thanks NFL Network!)  and watch it later.

But from what I gather , the O-line had another bad night.  So I ask: Is the problem that all the Bills linemen stink, or one or two slackers dragging the entire group down?  I guess we need to also ask: Is McNally the O-line genius he was touted to be?

PTR

742524[/snapback]

Well, Bill Parcells said that you can cover up for one OT lost to injury, but not 2.

I am thinking that if only one offensive lineman was sub-par, steps could be taken to get him some help (fullback, TE, etc.).

That said, having 1 offensive lineman who sucks is a scenario which has nothing to do with the Bills.

I was at the game in Charlotte last night, and this morning I looked over a lot of it that I'd recorded on the DVR.

Yes, the o-line play was ragged, but it was by no means as bad as this thread would imply. I understand the frustration. This is a first pre-season game against one of the strongest lines in the NFC. Even the two bad plays by Peters against Peppers were interesting. On the first (where Peppers sacked Holcomb) Peters engaged with him, then slipped off Peppers to try to block a blitzing linebacker (whom a running back, unseen to Peters, was about to pick up) so Peppers got unabated to the QB. Seems to me this is correctable.

The other play was a blatant hold against Peppers when Peters got beat and was trying to protect Holcomb.

The Bills broke no long running plays in the game, and quite a few of the gains were very short, but they did get prositive yardage on most running plays. They did not seem to open up much room in the middle of the line, but they did bouce a few plays outside.

I think this o-line is a work in progress, and we'll know better at the end of pre-season. If they stay healthy, I expect the starters to be better than last year's line.

About the game and team as a whole, I saw lots of things that need to get better, but also a number of positive signs. The fact that the Bills shut out the Panters after their first possession is not insignificant. I worried about the run defense in the middle, but aside from a few plays the tackles seemed to me to play pretty well, especially the rookie Williams.

There was not real pass rush, but I hope that will come.

McGee got beat on that first series, but at least one of the passes was a case where the receiver came back on a badly underthrown ball by Delhomme and made a great catch although McGee had him well covered. And the TD throw was a close thing--Crowell the linebacker took his eyes off the QB for a split second to peek at the receiver, and was therefore just a fraction of a second slow in dropping back. As it was he still almost batted down the pass.

I won't talk about the QB situation because everybody else here has beaten it to death.

Antonio Gates made some nice positive runs. Aiken was getting open in the second half. Losman spread the ball around. Lindell made two long field goals.

I am encouraged about the defense and I aqm not ready to abandon the offense, not even the o-line. I think there are enough guys who can play to make a decent O-line.

742548[/snapback]

I think that you were a little tough on Gandy, whereas I think that he approaches average at LT. If he improves and stays healthy, average is a plateau that we might even see.

I also think that Fowler has a chance to play well, as does Peters.

Yes, there is an outside chance for the Bills to have a middle of the pack group of blockers, however much history and logic frown upon this possibility.

As high as my hopes remain, I see little chance of RW shelling out the cash for the few top caliber blockers that enter free agency. Our draft was so suspicious that one has to wonder if Levy was even cognizant enough to realize that he just continued to chase after defensive backs, while neglecting other serious needs.

Next year, Marv will be 81 and RW will be 88. Expecting them to be able to change direction is a huge reach. Expecting people this old to be competent in such a highly competitive arena is simply not rational imo.

This leaves us Bills Fans with little other than hope, and blind devotion. I am just as proud to wear the Bills T-Shirt that I wore today (actually, it was a TBD Shirt) than I would be if we had won the 06 superbowl, and this is fact. I will die as a fan of the Bills, Bills Fans, and the great reigon of WNY.

History tells us that the team is not being properly constructed, but the Bills are ours. Soon, Bills Fans will be partying together at RWS and cheering them on. In that sense, all is good.

GO WNY!!!!!!!!! GO BILLS FANS!!!!!!!!!!! GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just in: the Panthers front four is pretty good. (In fact, with a healthy Jenkins and Kemoeatu lining up at DT, they might just be #1 on my FFL draft board.)

Not enough data just yet. Let's see what they look like the next couple of weeks.

I'm watching it now, and I'd just like to say that Brad Butler at RT looked pretty decent to me. He was out there scrapping, and I haven't see him make any glaring mistakes.

Matt Morgan at LT though. 0:)

742534[/snapback]

Good God Morgan was BRUTAL!

Quickest I have ever seen a 300 Lb. Man move in reverse...He seemed to be especially vulnerable to the Bull Rush...If that's the best the Bills can do at Back-Up OT then the Depth is non-existent...

Mouse should be fired if the line craps out again.

742543[/snapback]

I agree....this guy has been given a way too free pass.....He has been

here for 4 years and has not be able to mould a decent OL......All those

mental mistakes that the players on the line are making (false start,

holding etc) are correctable by coaching....and those mistakes have

been present in the last 4 years.....

Also, the crap that Jim was never given enough talent is bull. Look

at all the good teams and they necessarily don't have blue chip

talent on the line....

742548[/snapback]

Yes.

This is not the first group he has tried, and so far failed, to make productive.