'Hot' off the presses - tomorrow's camp cancelled

I can see both sides of the coin. On one hand, guys are less likely to give full attention to the drills because their thought is on how cold they are, on the other hand the more exposer to the cold the better. There needs to be an even balance between the two.

732008[/snapback]

I think it's a risk vs. reward thing - how much benefit do you get from practicing for a few hours in "real world" conditions vs. what is the increased risk that extreme heat/cold could cause injuries?

I see the "real world" argument, but from the perspective of guys getting hurt/sick, etc. I rather play it conservatively and only expose them to such conditions when there is no choice (like week 2 in Miami).

It's going to be high 90's-100 all week here in the DC area. How are the Deadskins able to practice in this heat and the Bills not? I agree with others, just move practice to 8am or something while it's only in the low 80's.

Well here's what my wife said. She was scheduled to work at the Xerox booth in the VIP tent at 8AM tomorrow morning. She was told not to show up because whatever was going on then has been cancelled.

It might not have been a practice session but some other kind of thing going on at camp.

Sorry for what may have been a false alarm. And here I thought I had scoop... <_<

Well here's what my wife said.  She was scheduled to work at the Xerox booth in the VIP tent at 8AM tomorrow morning.  She was told not to show up because whatever was going on then has been cancelled.

It might not have been a practice session but some other kind of thing going on at camp.

Sorry for what may have been a false alarm.  And here I thought I had scoop... <_<

732056[/snapback]

Go back to pimpin out your kids to the local press.

It's going to be a Heat Index of 110 degrees. It was also supposed to be the first practice in full pads. What harm is canceling ONE practice due to extreme heat? It can only help- no need to take a chance on someone getting sick or worse. Maybe they will just make it a no pads practice.

Anyone who complains- go outside tommorrow evening in full football equipment and run around for a couple hours. See how you feel for the next week. That kind of heat just drains anyone. I think practices would suffer for the rest of the week as opposed to a day off- stay cool, stay hydrated and get back out there Wednesday. Smart move if you ask me.

Well here's what my wife said.  She was scheduled to work at the Xerox booth in the VIP tent at 8AM tomorrow morning.  She was told not to show up because whatever was going on then has been cancelled.

Sorry for what may have been a false alarm.  And here I thought I had scoop... :D

732056[/snapback]

It was probably some kind of special camp or VIP thing that they opened the tent for. Because I have read NOTHING about a camp session tomorrow morning or even afternoon.

It's going to be a Heat Index of 110 degrees. It was also supposed to be the first practice in full pads. What harm is canceling ONE practice due to extreme heat? It can only help- no need to take a chance on someone getting sick or worse. Maybe they will just make it a no pads practice.

Anyone who complains- go outside tommorrow evening in full football equipment and run around for a couple hours.  See how you feel for the next week. That kind of heat just drains anyone. I think practices would suffer for the rest of the week as opposed to a day off- stay cool, stay hydrated and get back out there Wednesday. Smart move if you ask me.

732110[/snapback]

Wednesday afternoon is not going to be much cooler. They are saying 95 or higher for Wednesday.

The Bills game in Miami can be just as hot. Are they going to cancel the game just because it's 90 degrees? I think not. They better get used to those types of conditions now so that they will be ready for it week two in Miami.

731942[/snapback]

I think that a decision to cancel or restrict activities flows from what someone mentioned in a post above but did not explain. If folks do not remember (it was only a few years ago, but we Americans have trouble remembering last week if new reality show has premiered), but Vikes OL player Korery Stringer died in pre-season when he collapse during workouts in hot conditions which were not extreme but were higher than nirmal.

I have not seen any official autopsy results or seen the results of the lawsuit which Stringer's family filed against the Vikes,, but purely out of liability concerns, teams are easily more prone to cancel or take extreme measures to curtail summer practices than hold them even if practice temperatures may be less than are in Miami or some regular season game.

I think in most folks view, the fact that many players (particularly OL guys) are severely overweight and that this is now a full-time jpb (with enormous compensation) as players should not expect to play themselves back into shape at camp and that players should come to camp aware of the heat, their conditioning and other factors.

However, if an NFL team presents any signs of not doing their due diligence to be aware pf the heat playing in the summer during pre-season, then any assumption of risk taken by the player can get totally ignored and the team (or more likely their insurers who require cut backs in training in pre-season tied to hear) may paty through the nose.

In the end, this certainly makes more than a lot of sense from a business perspective to suspend practice when it gets hot even if it is at what most fans consider weenie conditions.

It also makes sense from a human standpoint as quite frankly, the game is risky enough without taking on even a small additional risk of potential heat stroke.

Sorry for what may have been a false alarm.  And here I thought I had scoop... :D

732056[/snapback]

Hmmm. Chicken Little Syndrome? ;)

Will Melissa be working the Xerox booth at the night practice? My son and I will stop over and say hello. Of course my "little guy" is larger than me and 28 years old!

732056[/snapback]

...you've been chatting with Soprano again?

The Bills game in Miami can be just as hot. Are they going to cancel the game just because it's 90 degrees? I think not. They better get used to those types of conditions now so that they will be ready for it week two in Miami.

731942[/snapback]

I just heard an interview with a Tampa Buc yesterday, He was asked if the heat is an advantage to the Bucs early in the season. He replied "Hell yeah, I remember the Buffalo Bills came in here last year and we could see they were just dying from the heat."

I just heard an interview with a Tampa Buc yesterday, He was asked if the heat is an advantage to the Bucs early in the season. He replied "Hell yeah, I remember the Buffalo Bills came in here last year and we could see they were just dying from the heat."

732906[/snapback]

The difference being: guys have died from the heat at training camp before, so there's a certain visibility of camp activities in the heat that encourage coaches to curtail said activities if there's a risk of heat-related injuries.

But no one's died from the heat in a game yet, so who cares? The moment someone DOES die of heat exhaustion in a game, though...then we'll see a whole new slew of regulations, including but not limited to letting the officials delay the start of an early, outdoor game if it's too hot... :D

The difference being: guys have died from the heat at training camp before, so there's a certain visibility of camp activities in the heat that encourage coaches to curtail said activities if there's a risk of heat-related injuries.

But no one's died from the heat in a game yet, so who cares?  The moment someone DOES die of heat exhaustion in a game, though...then we'll see a whole new slew of regulations, including but not limited to letting the officials delay the start of an early, outdoor game if it's too hot...  :lol:

732914[/snapback]

A couple high school kids just died down here during football practice. The key thing with heat is hydration. The Bucs, Jags, & Fins all make sure their players get plenty of Gatorade & do not push a player if they are dehydrated.