Could it be 2001 all over again?

No, not the 2001 Bills, but the 2001 Bears who went 13-3. This years team resemblances that Bears team.....Average QB, solid defense, and great special teams...If the ball bounces our way, we could be a 13-3 squad, and DJ could win his second coach of the year award

I can dream, can't I?

You might want to take that analogy with some Pepto Bismol. It will take at least a year for the new staff to develop this team into something deemed respectable.

717678[/snapback]

In this balanced NFL, never say never.....

I agree we have so many unknowns on this team.....that we want to be skeptic

about it.....That is fine...However, we can do the same by being optimistic

about the unknown........

THe Chicago Bears of 2005 played Excellent defense and Great STs and had

a lousy offense (probably the worst in the NFL),.....but they won 11 or 12

games to win their division.....

Our Bills are set up exactly for a similar punch....THe big question mark is

can all the off season acquisitions land up our defense as a excellent defense.

The problem is that the Bears are (and were) in the NFC Central.

717714[/snapback]

Well how good are the Jets and Dolphns? Despite the Saban slobberfest in the press. The Bills schedule looks pretty easy, especially the second half. IF the Bills have their act even half-together, we could be the "surprise" team of 2006.

PTR

Well how good are the Jets and Dolphns?  Despite the Saban slobberfest in the press.  The Bills schedule looks pretty easy, especially the second half.  IF the Bills have their act even half-together, we could be the "surprise" team of 2006.

PTR

717726[/snapback]

The fins were 9-7 last year, added Culpepper, and will probably improve just by virtue of Saban being there another year.

Right now, to say we have an average QB is generous. I think the only way we win 10+ this year is if our QB turns out to be above average.

The problem is that the Bears are (and were) in the NFC Central.

717714[/snapback]

The other problem was that the 2001 Bears were a total fluke, nowhere near deserving of a 13-3 record. And IIRC they were trouced in their first playoff game.

I'd rather they built a solid team that gradually gets better than to have one great regular season based on a few lucky bounces and kick returns.

No, not the 2001 Bills, but the 2001 Bears who went 13-3. This years team resemblances that Bears team.....Average QB, solid defense, and great special teams...If the ball bounces our way, we could be a 13-3 squad, and DJ could win his second coach of the year award

I can dream, can't I?

717669[/snapback]

dreaming ain't fun. Try drinking some 12 year old Scotch. Go check out my alcohol fueled predictions.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=48202

The fins were 9-7 last year, added Culpepper, and will probably improve just by virtue of Saban being there another year. 

Right now, to say we have an average QB is generous.  I think the only way we win 10+ this year is if our QB turns out to be above average.

717756[/snapback]

So adding a QB who was looking bad before a serious knee injury without being able to throw to Moss, and having a second year coach is enough for the team to be considered an improvement?

Yeah big improvements, they also added an O-linemen, Bennie "Pro Bowler" Anderson, that was deemed not even good enough for the Bills (and will be an upgrade to Miami) and added our wonderful ex-head coach to be an offensive co-ordinator, a spot where the Bills excelled with his amazing knack for coming up with fool proof trick plays and pulling Willis on 3rd downs.

So where is the Super Bowl Parade route being set up in Miami this year?

I can dream, can't I?

717669[/snapback]

IDK, are the Bills going to have a schedule full of teams that finish with losing records?

If so, then I suppose it can be 2001 all over again. Seems to me that we have at least half of the teams on our schedule that will finish the season with a winning record. NE in two games, Miami in two games, Chicago, Minnesota who finished last season winning 7 of their last 9, Indy, Jax, San Diego possibly.

I can dream, can't I?

717669[/snapback]

BTW, is that what makes you happy as a fan, making the playoffs and then getting killed in them because you had a weak strength of schedule?

IDK, but my expectations are a trifle higher.

IDK, are the Bills going to have a schedule full of teams that finish with losing records? 

If so, then I suppose it can be 2001 all over again.  Seems to me that we have at least half of the teams on our schedule that will finish the season with a winning record.  NE in two games, Miami in two games, Chicago, Minnesota who finished last season winning 7 of their last 9, Indy, Jax, San Diego possibly.

718239[/snapback]

Mineosota could go either way this year, they could cotinue being a decent team with Brad johnson and a new coaching staff, or be a flop without Daunte (the Elite NFL QB) leading the team

Chicago could continue proving that a good Defence wins games with a weak offence, or they could struggle and go back to being Da Bears of recent years

Indy might struggle a bit without a solid RB, but will probably still be a good winning team

But you seriously believe San Diego will be a winning team this year being lead by Rivers? The guy has not had much in game experience and was a backup on a team that didn't even make the playoffs with a more experienced, very good QB. This is not going to be the same team they were last year, and they are probably going to struggle after handing the job to Rivers.

Some tidbits from that 2001 Bears team (I "parroted" phrases from Bears website).

---Shane Matthews at quarterback. They were Preseason 1-3.

---Their #1 WR Marcus Robinson was lost for the season. Their #2 WR Booker stepped up with 1071 yards and 8 touchdowns.

---Fans and media lambasted GM Hatley's "Questionable" selections in that April's draft (including Anthony Thomas), and Hatley left Bears a month later.

---New GM was Jerry Angelo, selected over Tom Modrak.

---Media predicted a finish no better than 5-11.

---Most believed Angelo wanted to see Jauron fail so he could hire his own coach in 2002. Players sided firmly with Jauron.

---In their 2nd game (3rd Week due to 9/11), #1 QB Shane Matthews went out with a hip injury, yet the Bears & Jim Miller overcame a deficit with 17 unanswered points to win.

---Bears beat the next 3 opponents --Atlanta, Arizona, and Cincinnati-- by a combined score of 75-16 with their backup, great defense, special teams, and A-Train (who didn't play regularly until the season's fifth week).

---Chicago trailed 28-9 deep into the third quarter of the next game (SF) and Miller went out with a side injury. Now-backup Matthews comes in and Bears won in OT on an Urlacher forced fumble.

--The following week, an ineffective Shane Matthews-led offense trailed Cleveland 21-7 with less than one minute left in the game, and WON--in OT--with great special teams (onside kick and a jump ball in the endzone) and defense (tipped pass). They were 6-2 after a heartbreaker loss to GB.

--Bear victories over Tampa, the Vikings, and Detroit were highlighted by great defense (no TD's in 2 of them). Another GB loss made them 9-3.

---They went 4-0 vs Bucs, Skins, Lions and Jax with great runs by A-Train, incredible defense, and some unsung heroes.

---They lost their first playoff game to the Eagles. QB Jim Miller was knocked out of game by Hugh Douglas.

---NFC Coach of the Year Dick Jauron, Offensive Rookie of the Year Anthony Thomas.

---The offense finished 26th Overall; The Defense 15th.

Well how good are the Jets and Dolphns?  Despite the Saban slobberfest in the press.  The Bills schedule looks pretty easy, especially the second half.  IF the Bills have their act even half-together, we could be the "surprise" team of 2006.

PTR

717726[/snapback]

It sucks that we are a hot surprise team every year now. Oh how long must we endure this?

When are people going to learn that what happens last year, or 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, has nothing to do with what will happen next year.

No one knows who will be good, who will be bad, what star players get hurt, what star players lose a step, who the new stars will be, and ....

Its fun to talk about, but unless everything from last year is repeast, which is impossible, then Im pretty sure what happend last year wont happen in 2006.

I mean, will the Dolphins have a 20 point 4th quarter come back again? Maybe, but Im sure no one will predict it.

Will McGee fall at the 1 after an amazing return? I doubt it.

And yeah, we could be a surprise team. We sucked last year, and if we are over .500 it would be a surprise.