This sucks

BillsFanNC

All I have been hearing today at work is Canes talk. Normally this is to be expected given that they are on the brink of winning the Cup and all. But it's more who is talking that bothers me. My desk is in an office area with about 20 others. Throughout the winter and spring whenever I brought up hockey with some of these people, even in reference to the Canes, nobody was ever interested in that discussion at all. In fact I was often playfully mocked for being a hockey fan by these same people who are now suddenly die-hard Caniacs. Now it looks almost certain that the Cup is going to reside here. It makes me sick. It was bad enough having to endure taunts from these people the day after game 7 of the ECF, now it appears like I'll have to re-live that nightmare tomorrow. Now I understand what some of the Boston area posters here had to endure when the Patriots were winning Super Bowls. This really sucks.

I would have to think that the same thing happened in Dallas when they won the cup as well. Demographics? State of being a sports fan?

While I agree that being a Buffalo fan this is a bit painful, I would enjoy the atmosphere. Get a taste of what may occur should the stars align correctly.

And if they weren't talking about the Canes you would be bitching that no one here cares and what bad fans they are.

Christ - people can't be happy the team in their town might win the friggin Cup tonight? I don't have tickets but I'm taking my kids to the RBC to watch the game outside. These things don't happen every day.

Personally, i think its great. The NHL is really benefiting from having the canes deep, and the lighning winning 2 years ago. It sucks that i live in the heart of enemy territory, but whatever... we'll kick their asses next season. This whole experience did get me to create my 2nd unbeatable line:

"You are correct, your team did a great job beating the Rochester Americans"

The first unbeatable line:

"My team made it to 4 straight super bowls, a feat that will never happen again."

All I have been hearing today at work is Canes talk. Normally this is to be expected given that they are on the brink of winning the Cup and all.  But it's more who is talking that bothers me.  My desk is in an office area with about 20 others.  Throughout the winter and spring whenever I brought up hockey with some of these people, even in reference to the Canes, nobody was ever interested in that discussion at all.  In fact I was often playfully mocked for being a hockey fan by these same people who are now suddenly die-hard Caniacs.  Now it looks almost certain that the Cup is going to reside here. It makes me sick.  It was bad enough having to endure taunts from these people the day after game 7 of the ECF, now it appears like I'll have to re-live that nightmare tomorrow.  Now I understand what some of the Boston area posters here had to endure when the Patriots were winning Super Bowls.  This really sucks.

708403[/snapback]

Go into work tomorrow with a Canes cap on. :doh:

That would make for some good conversations. 0:)

And if they weren't talking about the Canes you would be bitching that no one here cares and what bad fans they are.

I would? They are already bad fans because they are either T-Bone's or bandwagoners who only started caring when the playoffs started.

Christ - people can't be happy the team in their town might win the friggin Cup tonight?  I don't have tickets but I'm taking my kids to the RBC to watch the game outside.  These things don't happen every day.

708425[/snapback]

I'm a Sabres fan. I derive no joy out of another team winning a championship simply because I live in close proximity to where they play. Were you all fired up about the Panthers when they made the Super Bowl?

All I have been hearing today at work is Canes talk. Normally this is to be expected given that they are on the brink of winning the Cup and all.  But it's more who is talking that bothers me.  My desk is in an office area with about 20 others.  Throughout the winter and spring whenever I brought up hockey with some of these people, even in reference to the Canes, nobody was ever interested in that discussion at all.  In fact I was often playfully mocked for being a hockey fan by these same people who are now suddenly die-hard Caniacs.  Now it looks almost certain that the Cup is going to reside here. It makes me sick.  It was bad enough having to endure taunts from these people the day after game 7 of the ECF, now it appears like I'll have to re-live that nightmare tomorrow.  Now I understand what some of the Boston area posters here had to endure when the Patriots were winning Super Bowls.  This really sucks.

708403[/snapback]

The good thing is that by sundays NASCAR race, they'll have forgotten all about the cup already.

Don't sweat it. By November, you will be back to being ridiculed for being a hockey fan...

708427[/snapback]

Hope you can bare it, after two months of being ridiculed for being a Bills fan! :D

ps- I feel your pain! I lhave live in Austin (Dallas Cowboys territory) since 1991. I had to endure the two SB losses to the Cowboys, and then, out of nowhere, the friggin' Dallas Stars beat the Sabres in the Stanley Cup...the yucks haven't stopped ever since!

"You are correct, your team did a great job beating the Rochester Americans"

I'd modify that slightly:

"You are correct, your team did a great job beating the Rochester Americans in 7 games."

708403[/snapback]

Yeah, and we did not see and increase in the number of people posting in Sabres threads and changing their avatars to Sabres related stuff during their playoff run. Let them have their fun who cares.

Yeah, and we did not see and increase in the number of people posting in Sabres threads and changing their avatars to Sabres related stuff during their playoff run.  Let them have their fun who cares.

708485[/snapback]

What's wrong with Sabres related avatars? :D

Some of us have had them since we started posting on this board. (Me, a whole 10 months ago, but you get the idea.) :D

What's wrong with Sabres related avatars?  :D

Some of us have had them since we started posting on this board.  (Me, a whole 10 months ago, but you get the idea.)  :D

708497[/snapback]

That's why I said changed them to Sabres avatars. Obviously your's didn't change to that, it always was that.

Yeah, and we did not see and increase in the number of people posting in Sabres threads and changing their avatars to Sabres related stuff during their playoff run.  Let them have their fun who cares.

708485[/snapback]

Sigh. Some people just don't get it.

Sigh. Some people just don't get it.

708733[/snapback]

For some, the sabres are the #1 team in buffalo, and the bills are there to hold them over for the next game... for some, the bills are #1 and the sabres are an afterthough... For some, like me, the bills and sabres are equally important.

708403[/snapback]

Might I suggest headphones and a MP3 player? :D

There is still the chance the Canes will manage a classic collapse.  :D

708760[/snapback]

Yes. If the Oilers can take game 6 and continue to pound on the older Canes in the process then there is a lot of pressure on the Canes not to choke away the Cup in game 7.