the flight from buffalo by young people

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Buffalo and always will...but the article is right. There is nothing for young adults.

I left 3 years ago and have found out what it is like to live in a real city.

I live in Northern California, the weather is great, there is a lot to do and I get paid 3 times as much as I would in Buffalo.

It is not as expensive as people think either.

I have been in Austin, TX for about 16 years now...I love it. On paper, Austin and Buffalo wouldn't even be a contest for most people. However, as I have just reached my forties, I have, in the back of my mind, fantasized about moving back to Buffalo. If I didn't have obligations here (a longtime girlfriend with a family, who loathes cold weather), and knew I could find a job, I would move back in a heartbeat. Its' home. Whenever I mention it to someone in my family (the 5 of 10 who still live in Buffalo) they tell me "don't do it"...everytime I go home though, I have a great time...I love Buffalo. I guess though, at 41, I wouldn't be considered a "young adult" anymore...

The interesting thing for me was that I actually left DC in 1989 (any case to be made for me being young back them is now totally laughable as I officially declared myself middle-aged when I hit 45 a couple of years ago and if I make to 90 I think thats pretty good) and moved to Buffalo.

I did so because Buffalo had the greatest attraction in the world in that my lovely spouse was from here and wanted to be near her Dad and Mom.

I actually was planning to work here, but found that I had built enough ties to do consulting work in DC and that actually with no a tough plane ride, the internet and modern communications, one can live a lo of places and still sell your services elsewhere.

Its tough for youngsters because the have to go where the jobs and companies are. However, taking advantage of the middle created by commanding a national salary, but living in WNY (I once desribed housing here to a comparable home and quality of neighborhood in DC as buy one and get one free in terms of housing).

If one can find your way toward collecting a national level wage, living here in Buffalo is not a bad financial situation at all.

All of us youngins are leaving because the older generations voted for and followed the wrong people.

I'd like to thank all the local politicians and union leaders for completely eliminating my desire to ever again live where I grew up. Truly remarkable.

As a 25 year old finishing up grad school in beautiful Buffalo, this article is dead on. Buffalo is a great place for families, college kids, and people 40 & over. But it sucks for the 25-40 range. An interesting stat I heard somewhere is that per captia, Buffalo has the largest percentage of college graduates in the nation. But we retain so few of them. I at least have a decent amount of friends in the area but I already have my mind made up to leave as soon as I graduated. This also forces me to date young coeds or milfs simply because my market is so unrepresented. :) That said, I predict Buffalo will swing around and see a little renaissance. Cheap living (even with the taxes) and global warning will work to our favor. Invest in Buffalo real estate now. :lol:

im in my early 30's and toying with leaving rochester area for seattle...i pick seattle only because i have friends from here that moved away to escape rochester...the companies run themselves so much different now then 20 years ago..employees got good jobs that lasted and they knew they could raise a family knowing theyll have a job forever at these big companies...now the younger crowd cant keep a job at them for more than a few years with the way companies keep laying off or selling parts off and such...you cant buy a house and start a family here cuz your not sure how long ull have a job...what im saying here is that if your 40+ and working at one of the bigger companies you pretty much have it set and know thet your safe(er) from being laidoff then the younger guys below you on the seniority list...therfore your not going to leave and restart somewheres else...the younger guys get pushed out and decide theres nothing left for them here in NY...biggest problem with this state is the tax's and costs that companies have to endure to set up here...most big companies set up in other states to lower there costs...im not one to say i have all the answers and im not sure one state is really all that different from the other..seems they all have there problems, but theres like 40 states that gotta be better than this one and like 9 that might be worse...man this countries going to hell..lol

I can't view the article but does it mention young, mid-age families moving back to WNY? I realize all the young people leaving but I personally have extended family members that have moved their families back to Amherst/Williamsvile from Boston, Charlotte and New Jersey. They did it not only because they missed Buffalo but because the the quality of life.. (cheaper nice homes), safety and schools for their children are excellent.

I figure if I know 3 families that moved back (all in their late 30's or early 40's)...there must be many more.

im in my early 30's and toying with leaving rochester area for seattle...i pick seattle only because i have friends from here that moved away to escape rochester...the companies run themselves so much different now then 20 years ago..employees got good jobs that lasted and they knew they could raise a family knowing theyll have a job forever at these big companies...now the younger crowd cant keep a job at them for more than a few years with the way companies keep laying off or selling parts off and such...you cant buy a house and start a family here cuz your not sure how long ull have a job...what im saying here is that if your 40+ and working at one of the bigger companies you pretty much have it set and know  thet your safe(er) from being laidoff then the younger guys below you on the seniority list...therfore your not going to leave and restart somewheres else...the younger guys get pushed out and decide theres nothing left for them here in NY...biggest problem with this state is the tax's and costs that companies have to endure to set up here...most big companies set up in other states to lower there costs...im not one to say i have all the answers and im not sure one state is really all that different from the other..seems they all have there problems, but theres like 40 states that gotta be better than this one and like 9 that might be worse...man this countries going to hell..lol

707610[/snapback]

Companies are moving jobs from NY and other states but not to sun belt etc, the real move is to India, China, eastern europe, look at IBM recent announcement of 6B$ investment over next few years. Jobs wont be moving anywhere except offshore face that fact that those who moved out of WNY will be seeing the same thing happening in the place they moved since companies only care about one thing and that is making sure the execs get rich.

I can't view the article but does it mention young, mid-age families moving back to WNY?  I realize all the young people leaving but I personally have extended family members that have moved their families back to Amherst/Williamsvile  from Boston, Charlotte and New Jersey.  They did it not only because they missed Buffalo but because the the quality of life.. (cheaper nice homes), safety and schools for their children are excellent.

I figure if I know 3 families that moved back (all in their late 30's or early 40's)...there must be many more.

707619[/snapback]

My wife and I plan to return to Buffalo in about 10-12 years. At one point, it appeared jobs became available for both of us which would have brought us back much sooner, but alas, it was not to be.

I am considering buying some land near one of the lakes in the near future

Hopefully, the Bills will still be in Buffalo when we return.

In the meantime, I am already a season ticket holder (shared with a current resident of WNY) and we visit Buffalo 3-5 times a year. Next visit: Taste of Buffalo (yum)

See Y'all at Hammers on the 24th of September!

RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

I thought this was an interesting statistic:

Over all, the upstate population grew by 1.1 percent in the 1990's — slower than the rate for any state except West Virginia and North Dakota

The city should change it's slogan to "Buffalo: Kicking North Dakota's Ass in the Growth Department for Three Straight Years."

I can't view the article but does it mention young, mid-age families moving back to WNY?  I realize all the young people leaving but I personally have extended family members that have moved their families back to Amherst/Williamsvile  from Boston, Charlotte and New Jersey.  They did it not only because they missed Buffalo but because the the quality of life.. (cheaper nice homes), safety and schools for their children are excellent.

707619[/snapback]

For every one that moves back, 10 leave! Just look at the numbers, we're shrinking.

And by the way, the homes developers and builders build (not the customs, but the cookie cutters) are junk, not nice. Sure, they're cheap, but garbage. If you like poor craftsmenship, poor, second-rate materials, and boring, landscapeless subdivisions, the burbs are perfect.

Someone expressed my sentiments exactly in one of the anti-Canes threads:

Buffalo - glad I grew up there - wouldn't want to live there

I go back at least 3-4 times a year still - nice to go back and visit, but never have had a desire to move back and live there.

I grew up in Buffalo. My early years were on the West Side, then the Town of Tonawanda. I went to Kenmore East, then RIT for college. I left Buffalo in 1981 because I had a nice job offer outside of NY State. I thought I would move back someday but after 5 years I was priced out of the market and go not get a job there. There are very few engineering and tech related jobs in WNY and most are entry level. My wife is from Lancaster so I go back twice a year. I miss the area and most of my family is still there. My kids love going there to. Someday I would like to return. Maybe an early retirement or a consulting postion where I work from home?

Buffalo is unique and a great area. Although the butt of some cruel joke, most outsiders like it when given the proper exposure.

The situation is complicated but WNY politics and poor leadership are the root cause for the mass exodus of jobs.

I grew up in Buffalo.  My early years were on the West Side, then the Town of Tonawanda.  I went to Kenmore East, then RIT for college. I left Buffalo in 1981 because I had a nice job offer outside of NY State.  I thought I would move back someday but after 5 years I was priced out of the market and go not get a job there.  There are very few engineering and tech related jobs in WNY and most are entry level.  My wife is from Lancaster so I go back twice a year.  I miss the area and most of my family is still there.  My kids love going there to.  Someday I would like to return.  Maybe an early retirement or a consulting postion where I work from home? 

Buffalo is unique and a great area.  Although the butt of some cruel joke, most outsiders like it when given the proper exposure. 

The situation is complicated but WNY politics and poor leadership are the root cause for the mass exodus of jobs.

707679[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. I'm in biomedical research and while I'd love to move back someday there are just no jobs in that field in WNY. Also, my wife, who I had to drag out of Buffalo kicking and screaming, would never want to move back now.

I left Buffalo in 1979 for California but really enjoy my visits back home. I currently reside in South Orange County where home values have become a second pension to most.

I am a firm believer that wherever you decide to live, it is a compromise. Here in Southern California, the traffic is a big thing along with housing (if you were not fortunate enough to buy before the big surge). But, to me, the weather is the best around since it lacks the humidity of other parts of the country. Compromise.

Buffalo is a great place to grow up for families and college kids. It has a unique love for its sports teams which is very refreshing. I have been gone for 27 years but still try to return annually to attend Bills games, enjoy the tailgating, continuing after the game at the Big Tree Inn, and enjoy visiting everyone.

Unfortunately, what Buffalo lacks is opportunity. Businesses cannot afford the heavy tax burden of the State and with the population shrinking, potential profits are leaving. If you currently have a job in Buffalo and hate it, you have to stay in it because there are few options. And how do you create opportunity? The political system needs a restructuring to create a vision of opportunity by establishing incentives for business which will result in jobs and opportunity.

It is time that Buffalo stops the process of providing the education needs for other states to reap the benefits and keep our young students local to continue their Buffalo heritage. You cannot fault the youth for seeking opportunity and growth.

The current status is sad to all of us who left because we love the city of Buffalo and proudly state that wherever we go. However, if the politicians do not wake up, many more will leave including our pride and joy, the Buffalo Bills, which could start the entire demise of the city we all grew up to love so dearly.