ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff

Ronaldino vs Ronaldo

720754[/snapback]

C.Ronaldo is a total diver and a cry-baby, but at the same time he seems to feed off the negative things people say about him. I hate to admit it, but he was one of the more interesting players to watch, not to mention one of the most talented. As for Ronaldinho, I'm really disappointed he didn't do more. He was one of the biggest reasons why I was psyched to see this WC, and he was basically absent from start to finish. He was pretty much absent in the Champions League final against Arsenal, too. At this point I'd have to say that C. Ronaldo is by far the stronger player when it comes to mental toughness. I know ronaldinho was under a lot of pressure, but that's part of the territory when you're one of the greats. Thankfully there were a lot of other players who really stepped it up during the tourney, so even w/out Ronaldinho's greatness it was still a pretty awesome world cup.

Belatedly,,,congrats meazza on the victory by the Azzurri...

I got home from work JUST as the PKs were completed....

Then I had a HS soccer referee meeting and the topic was Zindane's headbutt...

Us old timers were wondering where CoCo Brazil was...

Now there's a guy who could head butt...

If a kid head butts during a HS game we agreed to give him or her 2 red cards

Belatedly,,,congrats  meazza on the victory by the Azzurri...

I got home from work JUST as the PKs were completed....

Then I had a HS soccer referee meeting and the topic was Zindane's headbutt...

Us old timers were wondering where CoCo Brazil was...

Now there's a guy who could head butt...

If a kid head butts during a HS game we agreed to give him or her  2 red cards

720776[/snapback]

Thank you. I cannot wait to get the new shirt with the 4 stars.

Zidane won the golden ball. Pure and utter joke.

and yet another excuse for people to whine.

if marco did say something racially motivated, than what better way to show him up but to win the title and hold the beloved world cup. 

screw Zidane.

720772[/snapback]

I have to agree here....though I really think Zidane was only half pissed at Materazzi....he was also half pissed at Buffon for stopping his header. If you watch Zidane's reaction to that save, he was really pissed.....I think that put him over the edge and he just felt defeated, and then materazzi gave him the necessary "push" over the edge and he lost it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

and yet another excuse for people to whine.

if marco did say something racially motivated, than what better way to show him up but to win the title and hold the beloved world cup. 

screw Zidane.

720772[/snapback]

Yeah, who cares as long as the team you root for wins.

it was still a pretty awesome world cup.

720762[/snapback]

I have to thoroughly disagree. I consider myself a soccer fan, as I know most of the good players and the club teams they play on. I follow the EPL and the Champs League. I thought this World Cup was pretty lame. The juicy games didn't live up to the hype, and the majority of big-name players were disappointing.

The aspect that was pathetic was the reliance on free kicks, and the amount of times players dive to set them up. I understand soccer and I understand that diving is part of the game. It was over the top in this WC. The coverage has expanded to the point now where there are camera angles all over the field, and it becomes painfully obvious during the replays that the guy who is rolling on the ground writhing in pain was not touched at all.

I also realize that goal-scoring is not the whole shabang in soccer. Chances are usually at a premium and that is why there is such pandemonium when a goal is scored. However, this was the 2nd-lowest scoring WC, behind only 1990. The games averaged just over 2 goals per game. The lack of offensive imagination (and even just the lack of shooting) coupled with the rediculous diving and poor refereeing made this a very disapointing WC for me.

I think the people who enjoyed watching the game before the WC will still enjoy it, but I don't think the last month did anything to recruit "fringe" fans into the game. I feel slightly driven away, and it was the players themselves who did it. Their rediculous antics gave all players a bad name. I understand how physical the game is, and that these guys are prime athletes. But they really came off looking like pussies.

I have to thoroughly disagree.  I consider myself a soccer fan, as I know most of the good players and the club teams they play on.  I follow the EPL and the Champs League.  I thought this World Cup was pretty lame.  The juicy games didn't live up to the hype, and the majority of big-name players were disappointing.

The aspect that was pathetic was the reliance on free kicks, and the amount of times players dive to set them up.  I understand soccer and I understand that diving is part of the game.  It was over the top in this WC.  The coverage has expanded to the point now where there are camera angles all over the field, and it becomes painfully obvious during the replays that the guy who is rolling on the ground writhing in pain was not touched at all.

I also realize that goal-scoring is not the whole shabang in soccer.  Chances are usually at a premium and that is why there is such pandemonium when a goal is scored.  However, this was the 2nd-lowest scoring WC, behind only 1990.  The games averaged just over 2 goals per game.  The lack of offensive imagination (and even just the lack of shooting) coupled with the rediculous diving and poor refereeing made this a very disapointing WC for me.

I think the people who enjoyed watching the game before the WC will still enjoy it, but I don't think the last month did anything to recruit "fringe" fans into the game.  I feel slightly driven away, and it was the players themselves who did it.  Their rediculous antics gave all players a bad name.  I understand how physical the game is, and that these guys are prime athletes.  But they really came off looking like pussies.

720792[/snapback]

good post. I too feel it was a so-so cup. Club matches are much better and more exciting

Yeah, who cares as long as the team you root for wins.

720791[/snapback]

So what is your take then. That he did what was right? So many people are defending Zidane even though he himself has not spoken up about why he attacked the player.

Substitution and offsides questions from a very casual fan...

Why not allow "on the fly" substitutions instead of the limited substitution rule that currently exists? This would allow players to come on and off as much as they want.

Also, why not have a fixed "offsides" line where a player in the offensive zone can't cross before the ball(much like the blue line in hockey) instead of this moving offsides line that is determined by the position of the defender?

I say that FIFA needs a rule where if you get taken off on a stretcher, you MUST sit our for X amount of game time (say 10 minutes or something) before returning. I am sick of these whining diving pansies having to be carted off the field only to come back on 30 seconds later.

They scored their only goal on a dive

totally disagree. Watch it again - the guy was running at full speed and got clipped. And don't forget about the other non call in the box that was a no-brainer penalty kick if they hadn't already called one.

As for the comment that was made, it doesn't absolve zidane of any responsibility for his actions.

Was most likely something racist as italian soccer is full of racism (by the fans at least) and swastikas in the stands aren't an uncommon sight (and they make red sox fans take of “Yankees suck” t-shirts!)

totally disagree. Watch it again - the guy was running at full speed and got clipped.  And don't forget about the other non call in the box that was a no-brainer penalty kick if they hadn't already called one.

As for the comment that was made, it doesn't absolve zidane of any responsibility for his actions. 

Was most likely something racist as italian soccer is full of racism (by the fans at least) and swastikas in the stands aren't an uncommon sight (and they make red sox fans take of “Yankees suck” t-shirts!)

720817[/snapback]

I didn't think it was a penalty but based on reputation alone, Materazzi will get the call against him. He's known for stupid tackles in the box. Had it been Cannavaro, the ref might not have called it.

Materazzi may be a hitman, but he's not a bigot.

I didn't think it was a penalty but based on reputation alone, Materazzi will get the call against him.  He's known for stupid tackles in the box.  Had it been Cannavaro, the ref might not have called it. 

Materazzi may be a hitman, but he's not a bigot.

720820[/snapback]

How do you know that, though? Seriously, I've been surprised in the past by FRIENDS of mine, let alone some pro athlete that you don't know on a personal level.

How do you know that, though? Seriously, I've been surprised in the past by FRIENDS of mine, let alone some pro athlete that you don't know on a personal level.

720823[/snapback]

In Serie A, he often makes vicious tackles. I honestly didn't want him replacing Nesta.

He is like Montero who used to play for Juventus or Walter Samuel for Madrid and Argentina. Known for dirty tackles.

In Serie A, he often makes vicious tackles.  I honestly didn't want him replacing Nesta. 

He is like Montero who used to play for Juventus or Walter Samuel for Madrid and Argentina.  Known for dirty tackles.

720826[/snapback]

That doesn't really answer my question, though....how do you know he's not a bigot and/or a racist? SOMEONE'S gotta be promoting this crap since there's a whole campaign against it....can't only be the fans.

totally disagree. Watch it again - the guy was running at full speed and got clipped.  And don't forget about the other non call in the box that was a no-brainer penalty kick if they hadn't already called one.

720817[/snapback]

ROFL, clipped? Admittadly I haven't paused it on Tivo 50 times but the half dozen replays they showed during the game made it pretty clear to observers more impartial than me that it was a no-contact dive.

I'm not going to pretend to know much about the politics of Italian soccer, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many first world countries more racist than France.