[Survey] Outdoor parties...

SDS

Given the location of a family-oriented suburban neighborhood, houses 50 ft apart, what time do you think it is appropriate to end the outdoor portion of a Sat. night party?

703258[/snapback]

What ethnicity are you? I'm half alcoholic polish, and half drunken irish. So i have never seen a family party end prior to at least 11pm.

Depends, but if music is being played outside and it is a fairly large group outdoors, more than 15 people, then you should go inside by 9pm. Just too many little kids, etc... that can't sleep. In addition, if your neighbors are not at the party, all the more reason to end by 9PM.

I am ok with 11 PM on a saturday nite

Given the location of a family-oriented suburban neighborhood, houses 50 ft apart, what time do you think it is appropriate to end the outdoor portion of a Sat. night party?

703258[/snapback]

Depends, but if music is being played outside and it is a fairly large group outdoors, more than 15 people, then you should go inside by 9pm.  Just too many little kids, etc... that can't sleep.  In addition, if your neighbors are not at the party, all the more reason to end by 9PM.

703275[/snapback]

9PM?!?! Just because you effed up and had kids doesn't mean you have to spoil everyone else's fun! :P

General procedure- Stop by the neighbors and tell them you are having a little shin-dig, and they are more than welcome to attend. Also let them know that if the group is making too much noise, please tell me first instead of calling the cops. On a weekend night, 11PM-12midnight is a respectable time to wrap things up and head to the bar. However, I have definitely thrown a few bashes (the finest was in 1999 when the Sabres hammered the Leafs 5-2 in game 4 of the conference finals) where we had the pool and hottub (and kegs) cranking until about 5am. Never heard a word from the neighbors!

General procedure- Stop by the neighbors and tell them you are having a little shin-dig, and they are more than welcome to attend.  Also let them know that if the group is making too much noise, please tell me first instead of calling the cops.

Good advice. Years ago four of us lived in a residential neighborhood and threw a huge 7/4 party every year; usually 300+ people, many kegs, band, etc. Lots of noise until at least midnight.

The day before we would knock on every door in the neighborhood to tell them what to expect and to invite them over. Even though some of them gave us a little grief, no one ever called the cops to complain.

Oh yeah, one other idea....get up the next morning and clear all the empties off your neighbor's lawn before he has to do it. That'll go a long way towards making things right for next time.

My family and I had token invites to our neighbor's 40th bday party. Despite living 50 ft. from us, we haven't socialized in over a year. When we got the invite, one thing became apparent - someone needed the use of our swing set... (the back of their house is adjacent to the side of our backyard).

Well, after the beer funnel made it's debut around 9:30 pm (and certain parents allowing their 7 year olds to do "water funnels") - I went home. Yes, 40 year olds doing funnels in Suburbia... it is quite a sight.

The party continued about 50 feet from my bedroom window until 1:00 am. During which Andrew was awakened every 20-30 minutes and Paige was awakened twice. The cause of the loud noise? Smashing bottles and someone yelling at the top of their lungs "OHHHHHHH!!!!!!" every 5 minutes for 3 hours...

At 1:00 am I called over to ask if either the person smashing the glass or the person yelling at the top of their lungs could stop if they wished to remain outside or if they could just walk 15ft into their walkout, finished basement and continue inside.

They didn't answer the phone, but through the magic of caller ID - they knew I was calling. They disregarded my call and continued to 1:30am.

Their backyard is the size of a small postage stamp, which will become readily apparent when the 6 ft privacy fence goes up in a few weeks....

The response around the office, given the neighborhoods we live in, was 10:00pm max... which was my feeling at well.

well you didn't say it was THAT kind of party, I assumed it was a nice pleasant valley sunday cookout that went late into the evening

My family and I had token invites to our neighbor's 40th bday party.  Despite living 50 ft. from us, we haven't socialized in over a year.  When we got the invite, one thing became apparent - someone needed the use of our swing set... (the back of their house is adjacent to the side of our backyard).

Well, after the beer funnel made it's debut around 9:30 pm (and certain parents allowing their 7 year olds to do "water funnels") - I went home.  Yes, 40 year olds doing funnels in Suburbia... it is quite a sight.

The party continued about 50 feet from my bedroom window until 1:00 am.  During which Andrew was awakened every 20-30 minutes and Paige was awakened twice.  The cause of the loud noise?  Smashing bottles and someone yelling at the top of their lungs "OHHHHHHH!!!!!!" every 5 minutes for 3 hours...

At 1:00 am I called over to ask if either the person smashing the glass or the person yelling at the top of their lungs could stop if they wished to remain outside or if they could just walk 15ft into their walkout, finished basement and continue inside.

They didn't answer the phone, but through the magic of caller ID - they knew I was calling.  They disregarded my call and continued to 1:30am.

Their backyard is the size of a small postage stamp, which will become readily apparent when the 6 ft privacy fence goes up in a few weeks....

The response around the office, given the neighborhoods we live in, was 10:00pm max... which was my feeling at well.

703460[/snapback]

My family and I had token invites to our neighbor's 40th bday party.  Despite living 50 ft. from us, we haven't socialized in over a year.  When we got the invite, one thing became apparent - someone needed the use of our swing set... (the back of their house is adjacent to the side of our backyard).

Well, after the beer funnel made it's debut around 9:30 pm (and certain parents allowing their 7 year olds to do "water funnels") - I went home.  Yes, 40 year olds doing funnels in Suburbia... it is quite a sight.

The party continued about 50 feet from my bedroom window until 1:00 am.  During which Andrew was awakened every 20-30 minutes and Paige was awakened twice.  The cause of the loud noise?  Smashing bottles and someone yelling at the top of their lungs "OHHHHHHH!!!!!!" every 5 minutes for 3 hours...

They didn't answer the phone, but through the magic of caller ID - they knew I was calling.  They disregarded my call and continued to 1:30am.

703460[/snapback]

Why didnt you walk over and talk to them?

Best way to determine when to quiet down is just before the local noise ordinance goes into affect. Otehrwise, onec the neighbors start to complain. Most areas I believe have a 10-11pm cut off time so you can continue to party, but if you make to much noise the police may visit and shut you down. If there are kids in the general area, you should definitly respect those times and be respectful of your neighbors.

I have had a problem with this in the past.....

I did just as someone suggested and went over and talked to them...the problem is that when the booze start flowing some folks dont want to have a peacefull conversation....I got into a fistfight with someone much younger then me (who didn't even own the house or live there) for being polite and asking them to turn it down. I was talking to the renter and someone standing 10 feet away threw a full bear can at me.....and it was on.

Mission accomplished though.....they did in fact turn it down and after that were a lot more respectfull

9PM?!?!  Just because you effed up and had kids doesn't mean you have to spoil everyone else's fun!  :P

703300[/snapback]

Bills just mad because at 9pm they make him stand on the lawn holding a lantern.

Why didnt you walk over and talk to them?

703473[/snapback]

Pretty much what JiH said... Walking over to talk to a number of drunk people by yourself where you have to deal with all of them at once, as opposed to speaking with the home owner alone on the phone, didn't seem to be a wise move...