Willis on NFL Total Access

Show up at offseason workouts or no new contract.

The only players I would ever consider giving an extension to, regardless of pedigree are the ones that make the offseason workouts. You want the extension then earn it, otehrwise screw you, you get nothing.

I would be extremely dissapointed if the Bills buckled and gave Willis an extension based off of pro career where he has done so little. Especially after proclaiming yourself ot be the best....

696936[/snapback]

The guy was an above average starting tail back in a bottom feeder offense. Give the guy some credit.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can jump all over Willis, but Im pretty sure everyone will agree that the offense was not the greatest. We had no threat of a passing game and a below average offensive line.

The guy got 1250 yards in our offense. Atleast with Bledsoe, teams had to worry about the deep ball.

Our offense makes everything look so difficult, so I think Willis actually deserves some credit.

Get him in a good offense on a winning team, and he is a 1600+ guy every year.

Now, I dont undertsand why this guy jumps at every TV appearance offer he gets. He is not very good at interviews and public speaking.

We can jump all over Willis, but Im pretty sure everyone will agree that the offense was not the greatest.  We had no threat of a passing game and a below average offensive line.

The guy got 1250 yards in our offense.  Atleast with Bledsoe, teams had to worry about the deep ball. 

Our offense makes everything look so difficult, so I think Willis actually deserves some credit.

Get him in a good offense on a winning team, and he is a 1600+ guy every year.

Now, I dont undertsand why this guy jumps at every TV appearance offer he gets.  He is not very good at interviews and public speaking.

697001[/snapback]

Letting him play a few third downs each game plus red zone could be an added wrinkle as well. Meathead the genius who wasn't. :lol:

the NFL no. 1 running back! ya right...he hsn't earned the right to hold the top 10 jock straps... and that is from a huge Bills fan

696827[/snapback]

You know, this pisses me off right here.

If you really were a huge Bills fan, you would know that the young, cocky, Drew Rosenhaus-driven kid was interviewed by a reporter who asked him the loaded question "Who do you think is the best running back in the NFL?"

He's young. He's stupid. He's in new territory. He's spent his entire life around people telling him he is going to be the best back in the league. And so he says he thinks HE'S the best back. WHY DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS CONFIDENCE?

And here's a trivia question for all you HUGE Bills fans. Ya ready? Here we go.

For what time of the day did Willis call the press conference to announce he was the self-proclaimed best back in the NFL, and in front of what statue did he hold the press conference?

Is there a reason you guys B word and moan so much? You all act like he's the reason the Bills suck, when he's probably the last person to blame.

696814[/snapback]

I really didn't see any posts prior to yours in this thread that seemed like anyone was bitching too much and blaming the bills woes on Willis. Maybe you're commenting on other threads, i don't know.

Nevertheless, I look at the whole Willis McGahee package thus far. He's a unique player in a very unique situation. Let's examine.

-1st round draft choice, BUT would miss his 1st season rehabbing.

-1st HC was lame duck.

-2nd HC used him in almost every facet of offense, including gadget plays that actually worked! Result: Great stats, team almost made the playoffs, and Willis is given god-like status by Bills fans.

-this same coach would then completely pull a 180 and NOT utilize this same RB enough. Result: stats below everyone's expectations, Rookie QB starts season, Offense was completely "offensive" in a 5-11 season, and Willis was rightfully criticized by Bills fans. (I say this because he need not be running his mouth while the team was playing so badly. That does not endear you to the fans, so he shouldn't be surprised by any criticism.)

So, it's okay that fans get on Willis. He recieved great praise when the team was winning and performing well offensively. So now, its the other side of the coin. He (and his supporters) need to deal with the negative fan reaction.

So you see, just as he is getting slammed now after the TEAM'S shortcomings in 2005, he equally benefitted from the TEAM's success in 2004.

I don't think most of the criticism is crying for him to get out of Buffalo. He just needs to perform (and so does the rest of the offense) this year to improve these perceptions by the fans.

crap....this was my 3000 post. I wanted it to be something more special than this....

Ya...because this guy from the "U" has not shown talent other than to shoot his mouth off. He sounds more like his agent every day..."I want mine"

When he shows up on a Sunday afternoon in September in NE, or a Dec afternoon in NY then he has the right to shoot off his mouth...

the more he talks the more I think he has no talent left and he knows it...:the NFL no. 1 running back! ya right...he hsn't earned the right to hold the top 10 jock straps... and that is from a huge Bills fan

696827[/snapback]

I guess my problem with Willis is he comes across as being:

a) completely self absorbed, non-team oriented

b) completely stupid

I'd take less talent with more character and intelligence anyday. We need to find our next Thurman.

LEts throw him off the team for not coming out to optional mini camps that teams do not expect (but would be happy if they did) come out too. He can catch the next flight with Moorman for not showing up too. He should be forced to show up to optional mini camps where he could get seriously hurt (again) and ruin his career.

I'm glad he said he thinks he is the best back in the league, cause now he has something to show and prove to us. Would you all prefer he said he thinks Alexander, or Edge, or Ricky is the best back and he does not deserve to share the same field? I have yet to see him say anywhere that he is holding out for huge money, or that he will hold out in the future, this is all just because of who his agent is. Everyone expects him to run for 3000 yards a year, but not many are willing to take into account he was only on the field for 2 downs and pulled for 3rd downs, and still ran for over 1000+ yards.

Or maybe he is getting a bad wrap cause he is not married to the mother of his children and doesn't plan on it. (we all remember the debacle over Moulds having many children to different women) Damn him and his heathen ways, Moulds nad Willis are probably the only NFL players in situations like that. I'm sure theres probably not one little Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or Bruce Smith running around wondering who his real father is.

I think the vast majority of us want Willis to shut his trap and come play with his team. We all (except a few) want him to succedd, but cringe because whenever he opens his mouth he really looks like an idiot. He manages to say dumber and dumber things (it's harder to be a baby's momma!). He has shown flashes to date which gets most people excited. But he has been very average for most of his career to date. This is a make or break year for him.

I'll say it again. the workouts are Voluntary.

If your boss told you that tomorrow and friday were VOLUNTARY days of work, how many of you would show up? Exactly.

697116[/snapback]

Well said.

Just one difference with Willis and Moorman not reporting to OTA's. Moorman would not be learning one thing as the coach and system will be the same. Not so with Willis who must learn a new system with new coaches . I feel a lot of last years early games gaffs behind the line ( handoffs, running wrong route, confussion, etc. ) were partly from not enough repetitions. Some could have been JP's but it's all about being on the same page and practice, practice and practice.

And, how about doing a little more than is asked for. I worked plenty of extra , non required tme in an effort to make my company successful. What has happened to extra effort?

this doesn't only apply to Willis, because there others who did not show up either. for those who mention it, you are right....it is voluntary. But what's funny is that Willis showed up to the first VOLUNTARY off-season conditioning program and was saying in an interview that "This is a fresh start, it makes a difference when everyone is here because of the new staff and system" or somthing to that affect. He didn't get any credit for that. Anyone remember that? But on the flip side, he kinda looks like a hypocrate now.

I think everyone would agree that they would love to see evidence of him dedicating himself to the team and the new regime.....as fans in the offseason, it's hard to guage anything because news is so sparse. a lot is speculation right now.

When the real camps start, that's going to tell us a lot more than any OTA will.

Look, I think with every team and every star player, you are going to see supporters and critics, each weighing in on what they feel should be used to measure a player's abilities and character. I just don't understand why everyone gets so testy when someone criticises Willis. Who cares? Willis certainly doesn't care, so why should you? state your argument and let other state theirs as well without getting so defensive about it.

I think the vast majority of us want Willis to shut his trap and come play with his team.  We all (except a few) want him to succedd, but cringe because whenever he opens his mouth he really looks like an idiot.  He manages to say dumber and dumber things (it's harder to be a baby's momma!).    He has shown flashes to date which gets most people excited.  But he has been very average for most of his career to date.  This is a make or break year for him.

697091[/snapback]

1500 yards and 15 touchdowns cures all of this. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'll say it again. the workouts are Voluntary.

If your boss told you that tomorrow and friday were VOLUNTARY days of work, how many of you would show up? Exactly.

697116[/snapback]

That's a good point. However, being a NFL football palyer is different than a regular 9 to 5. Obviously, the money is different. There is a new coach and a new system to learn. If you have a new boss, even though the meetings are considered voluntary, I'm sure you would show up if you wanted to keep job. I have no problem with Willis on the field (though I would want to see some more explosiveness). It just seems like he has gotten way to comfortable with his status as a starter. I'm sure he would make more of an effort to be there if he was competiting for a he was competiting for a job. Personally, I think he had a different mindset his first 2 years when he trying to get back and earn a job. He was hungrier. Obviously, OTAs doesn't necessary make you a better player. However, it shows the coaches and fans that you are seriously committment to helping the team and being a leader. And to miss these OTAs to go on Total Access or do some stupid wheel barrow race just seems like he really doesn't care. Again, Willis isn't the problem on this team. But he could be taking more steps to be more of a solution.

Well if we cut Willis, Dick Jauron should be fired to, He just played a round of golf with a friend of mine at the golf course he works at in Niagara Falls.

He should be in Buffalo right now getting this team in shape and working on game plans, not playing golf, get rid of him :P:(

Not kidding...his effort was lacking and that has nothing to do with how good a team is...he has not shown the speed everyone thinks he has...I think he knows his talent is less than advertised and he wants his...him and Drew Rosenberg...joined at the hip for the big bucks.

Many games last year he didn't show up...when he shows up every week and for big games & plays like a star...I will say I was wrong, until then it is nothing but speculation that he has more talent than most backs in the league..."A" train had 1200 yeards too, so does that make him a star? I think not...

Willis may be too full of himself to put out...yr 2 he blocked and ran hard, yr 3, he mailed it in and everyone knows it...

696881[/snapback]

I'm sorry, mailing it in? He was barely given the ball! Yeah, he may have had his number of carries, but they came in all the wrong points in the game. I mean, what's with taking him out everytime on third downs?? He's not like Henry. He can catch and run. Also, if you look at the tape, you'll notice that everytime he was stopped for no gain, or only gained a couple, he wasn't given the rock again the next play. WM is a bruiser. I agree with you that he doesn't have the speed he once had, bit imo, he has something much more valuable. You ask any linebacker in the league, and they'll all tell you that Willis is a load! Willis is in the mold of an Eddie George and a Jerome Bettis, as far as his run style. He may just be picking up 3 or 4 yards here and there, but as the game winds on, all of a sudden he busts one for 20. He'll never be an LT type runningback, but he can be a darn good one!