Willis on NFL Total Access

I'll say it again. the workouts are Voluntary.

If your boss told you that tomorrow and friday were VOLUNTARY days of work, how many of you would show up? Exactly.

697116[/snapback]

I'm sure 80% of off-season posters would, since so many seem to have plenty of spare time on their hands....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to speak for others, but what bothers me the most about Willis is what appears to be a complete lack of understanding what it means to be a "professional".

Yeah he might get his 1300-1400 yds rushing and some TDs to boot, but he's never going to help this team get better. He lacks character, motivation, and any sense of team. The great players have that and it rubs off on those around them.

The motivation for Willis simply seems to be being in the spot light and making big bucks. The fear of losing out on all that money was what motivated him to do everything he did to make that big comeback after the knee injury. Now that he's had a few decent years he's just waiting to cash in on that mother of a contract when he becomes a free agent. That's why he's on all these sports shows, make himself popular in the media, have another decent year (doesn't matter what the team does), and cash in.

I'm serious when I say this team should look to trade him while they can get something for him. He's positioning himself big time for that departure anyway.

Sabres are an example of what "A Team" can do. Willis probably can't even spell TEAM.

At this point in time, you could argue (almost) that it's better to give the rooks more playing time. So having a few vets missing OTA's allows that. See...a little spin can make Willis McGahee look like Mother Theresa. He's just doin' it fo' da' rooks.

PTR

If your boss told you that tomorrow and friday were VOLUNTARY days of work, how many of you would show up? Exactly.

697116[/snapback]

Um. I would. If you only did the bare minimum to get your job done and not all you could then your not helping your team's (or boss') bottom line. They won't be looking at you to get a decent raise or promotion to if that is the case.

Just depends on what is import to you. You can tell me that Willis is comitted to being the absolute best he can be personally and as part of the team. It does not mean he is not a good back that could become very good- imo, he just is not what I prefer in my starting RB or way more importantly what marv wants in his back.

697116[/snapback]

Do you get a certain number of sick days in your line of work? Do you take all of them? I don't. There's a feeling of obligation that if I can work I will. So yes, I have the opportunity to take advantage of the system but I don't. I think most people have that mindset. If they didn't nothing would ever get done. If you want to skip work all the time, you're not doing something you enjoy. Sucks for you.

There are certain qualities I would like in team leaders. One is presence. It really helps if you're trying to build a championship team. There is a new offensive scheme, a new coaching staff and no "starter" at qb. If McGahee would be there as a team leader he just might get his raise. It's already been mentioned here that he's the top playmaker on a poor offense. That makes him the first candidate, but he seems to be turning the opportunity down. From everything I've heard from Marv, I would be shocked if he got an extension. Let the national media yap all they want.

If you don't want to make the commitment then don't expect the cash.

This nonsense can be ended by simply bringing back the

GREATEST RUNNING BACK IN BILLS HISTORY: O.J. SIMPSON!!!!

What a story! What a chance for redemption! Sit Willis behind The Juice for a season until he gets that KILLER INSTINCT!

"O.J. CUTS left! He SLICES through the line! He's MURDERING this Defense!"

:(

Show up at offseason workouts or no new contract.

696936[/snapback]

You can't do that, chief -- these are optional, the league wouldn't allow such a stance. Of course, you could 'unofficially' do that, but couldn't tell willis or his agent about it. The players are not required to be at the OTAs....it's in the contract.

Um.  I would.  If you only did the bare minimum to get your job done and not all you could then your not helping your team's (or boss') bottom line. 

698317[/snapback]

So i take it you wear more than the required 15 pieces of flair?

Look at the Patriots and you see a team of professionals. Do you think Tom Brady misses "voluntary" work-outs? And he is the best QB in the NFL. He is 20X the player McGahee will ever be and all he does is show up for the team, be a professional and work harder. He has been with the same team and coaching staff that has won 3 SBs by the way, and still comes back to work-out and to the camps.

Mr. T is absolutely right--the problem is the complete lack of professionalism. You'll go on TV and hang-out but won't come up to be with your teammates and practice? It's fine if he misses a couple but to not even show up for any is a lack of respect to his team and coaches. He really appears disinterested in the whole thing. He better come back better than ever after the season he had last year.

Look at the Patriots and you see a team of professionals.  Do you think Tom Brady misses "voluntary" work-outs?  And he is the best QB in the NFL.  He is 20X the player McGahee will ever be and all he does is show up for the team, be a professional and work harder.  He has been with the same team and coaching staff that has won 3 SBs by the way, and still comes back to work-out and to the camps. 

Mr. T is absolutely right--the problem is the complete lack of professionalism.  You'll go on TV and hang-out but won't come up to be with your teammates and practice?    It's fine if he misses a couple but to not even show up for any is a lack of respect to his team and coaches.  He really appears disinterested in the whole thing.  He better come back better than ever after the season he had last year.

698655[/snapback]

Is there any link that shows Brady shows up to all the voluntary mini camps every year?

I would be extremely dissapointed if the Bills buckled and gave Willis an extension based off of pro career where he has done so little. Especially after proclaiming yourself ot be the best....

696936[/snapback]

But don't be surpised. Look at the contract they gave to Peerless.

That's a good point.  However, being a NFL football palyer is different than a regular 9 to 5.  Obviously, the money is different.  There is a new coach and a new system to learn.  If you have a new boss, even though the meetings are considered voluntary, I'm sure you would show up if you wanted to keep job.  I have no problem with Willis on the field (though I would want to see some more explosiveness).  It just seems like he has gotten way to comfortable with his status as a starter.  I'm sure he would make more of an effort to be there if he was competiting for a he was competiting for a job.  Personally, I think he had a different mindset his first 2 years when he trying to get back and earn a job.    He was hungrier.  Obviously, OTAs doesn't necessary make you a better player.  However, it shows the coaches and fans that you are seriously committment to helping the team and being a leader.  And to miss these OTAs to go on Total Access or do some stupid wheel barrow race just seems like he really doesn't care.  Again, Willis isn't the problem on this team.  But he could be taking more steps to be more of a solution.

697297[/snapback]

I also seem to recall the offseason after Blesoe's 1st season with the Bills. They finished 8-8 and were excited about having a better season the following year. There was near 100% participation in the OTAs.

Obviously these players aren't too excited about the upcoming season. I also wonder if they're listening too much to comments from the outside. "Their new GM is 80 years old, he's being ridiculed in the media for his moves, the new coach has a losing record. "

Perhaps they find the whole situation negative and demoralizing?

He looked slimmed-down on the show.  That's good.  Maybe, he'll get some explosion back. 

This guy will show up this season.  Barring injury, he's the last thing I'm worried about on our offense.

698696[/snapback]

how could you tell? he was wearing a suit, not Under Armour <_<

This nonsense can be ended by simply bringing back the

GREATEST RUNNING BACK IN BILLS HISTORY: O.J. SIMPSON!!!!

What a story! What a chance for redemption! Sit Willis behind The Juice for a season until he gets that KILLER INSTINCT!

"O.J. CUTS left! He SLICES through the line! He's MURDERING this Defense!"

:o

698353[/snapback]

He may not have any character, but he is a character. :doh: