Mort chat tidbit

Bummer, my q never got answered.

GG -

Mort, if Buffalo had traded down to get Whitner, and if Detroit had traded down to get Whitner, and if Baltimore had traded down to get Whitner, then if he dropped to second round, would he be a value pick?

682520[/snapback]

that right there would probably have been the greatest question ever posted on one of those chat sessions -- if espn had had the cajones to do it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11604

(fyi, Mark Ellis = Coach Tuesday)

Mark Ellis (Oakland): Mort, explain why you keep saying the Bills had a horrible draft, when they got two guys they wanted in the first round who were gonna be picked by other clubs (Whitner by Baltimore, McCargo by the Giants).

Chris Mortensen: (11:51 AM ET ) First of all, Whitner was not going to be picked by Baltimore. Absolutely not. I never said they had a horrible draft. I said they had a "head scratching" draft. They did over-reach with their first round picks but I said they might end up being good football players. I know there was confusion in he Bills' draft room, too. I did think they did well their picks on the third, fourth and fifth rounds.

(also he's wrong, Billick admitted on Monday they were gonna take Whitner - what an ass.)

682442[/snapback]

note the deafening silence about mccargo -- maybe he knows now that he wasn't going to last until the early third round after all!

it would have been nice if he admitted it ...

Because he singled Buffalo out as picking guys who were not "rated" high enough to warrant the pick.  I didn't hear him say a thing when Dallas picked Bobby Carpenter in the 1st when no one had him going in the first round.  He singled Buffalo out and kept going back to it over and over again.  The guy is a prick.

682494[/snapback]

I thought exactly the same thing....Dallas took a guy who most had going in the 2nd. Nobody seemed to have a problem with that.

Maybe his point should be that the Bills had Leinart in their laps and didn't utilize that strength. But neither did Oakland or Detroit.

Get a grip, people. Who cares what Mortenson thinks about this? It bespeaks a lack of self-confidence that we need to have outside observers validate our opinions, and we get our panties in a knot if they disagree.

Mortenson doesn't hate the Bills. He probably doesn't care one way or another about them. He just expressed an opinion.

Get a grip, people.  Who cares what Mortenson thinks about this?  It bespeaks a lack of self-confidence that we need to have outside observers validate our opinions, and we get our panties in a knot if they disagree. 

Mortenson doesn't hate the Bills.  He probably doesn't care one way or another about them.  He just expressed an opinion.

683309[/snapback]

Exactly

Get a grip, people.  Who cares what Mortenson thinks about this?  It bespeaks a lack of self-confidence that we need to have outside observers validate our opinions, and we get our panties in a knot if they disagree. 

Mortenson doesn't hate the Bills.  He probably doesn't care one way or another about them.  He just expressed an opinion.

683309[/snapback]

I generally agree that it's not a big deal, and I doubt Mort has it in for the Bills or any other team, but I for one am tired of bad, lazy journalism from the MSM (mainstream media), and Mort has become a good example of that.

683309[/snapback]

There's a difference in being neutral (Kiper) and getting cheap shots in at every available opportunity (Mortensen). Hate directed towards Mort is entirely justified until Mort gets over his snit.

I thought exactly the same thing....Dallas took a guy who most had going in the 2nd.  Nobody seemed to have a problem with that.

682991[/snapback]

:w00t:

MOCK DRAFT LINK 1

MOCK DRAFT LINK 2

MOCK DRAFT LINK 3

MOCK DRAFT LINK 4

I can't find a mock draft without Carpenter, but hey don't let the facts stop you! It sounds good!

Actually, if I remember correctly there was no mention of the taxi last year when Donahoe picked Parrish.

Though- he did make his taxi reference when the Chargers picked.

Mort probably screwed this fun arrangement up for us also!!

683231[/snapback]

Right before the Bills pick was announced Berman said " we may have our first curveball, the taxi driver must have got caught at the light"

I have this on Tivo and have listened to it several times. Berman Knew we were going to pick whitner about 5 seconds before it happened.

Right before the Bills pick was announced Berman said " we may have our first curveball, the taxi driver must have got caught at the light"

I have this on Tivo and have listened to it several times. Berman Knew we were going to pick whitner about 5 seconds before it happened.

683391[/snapback]

That is because, as the NYTimes disclosed yesterday, ESPN finds out about EVERY pick 15 seconds before it is announced. THERE IS NO CABDRIVER.