Mort chat tidbit

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11604

(fyi, Mark Ellis = Coach Tuesday)

Mark Ellis (Oakland): Mort, explain why you keep saying the Bills had a horrible draft, when they got two guys they wanted in the first round who were gonna be picked by other clubs (Whitner by Baltimore, McCargo by the Giants).

Chris Mortensen: (11:51 AM ET ) First of all, Whitner was not going to be picked by Baltimore. Absolutely not. I never said they had a horrible draft. I said they had a "head scratching" draft. They did over-reach with their first round picks but I said they might end up being good football players. I know there was confusion in he Bills' draft room, too. I did think they did well their picks on the third, fourth and fifth rounds.

(also he's wrong, Billick admitted on Monday they were gonna take Whitner - what an ass.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11604

(fyi, Mark Ellis = Coach Tuesday)

Mark Ellis (Oakland): Mort, explain why you keep saying the Bills had a horrible draft, when they got two guys they wanted in the first round who were gonna be picked by other clubs (Whitner by Baltimore, McCargo by the Giants).

Chris Mortensen: (11:51 AM ET ) First of all, Whitner was not going to be picked by Baltimore. Absolutely not. I never said they had a horrible draft. I said they had a "head scratching" draft. They did over-reach with their first round picks but I said they might end up being good football players. I know there was confusion in he Bills' draft room, too. I did think they did well their picks on the third, fourth and fifth rounds.

(also he's wrong, Billick admitted on Monday they were gonna take Whitner - what an ass.)

682442[/snapback]

Holy sh-- coach, you play 2B for the A's?

Oh, you should have been more harsh on him than that. The guy obviously despises the Bills. You know what? If Detroit took Whitner at 9, no one would have said a thing. The "experts" say they should have taken Bunkley. When Marv interviewed him, maybe he didn't like the guy. Mort is on my sh-- list.

Oh, you should have been more harsh on him than that.  The guy obviously despises the Bills.

682449[/snapback]

In Mort's business, stirring up things and dissing this club or that one is a requisite. You'll be dropped like a rock if you think you can get away with reasoned analysis. The powers that be will judge you as dull and replace you post haste.

Oh, you should have been more harsh on him than that.  The guy obviously despises the Bills.  You know what?  If Detroit took Whitner at 9, no one would have said a thing.  The "experts" say they should have taken Bunkley.  When Marv interviewed him, maybe he didn't like the guy.  Mort is on my sh-- list.

682449[/snapback]

Detroit would definitely have been ridiculed - something along the lines of "maybe they can convert him to WR."

I don't think Baltimore would've been as likely to pick him as Detroit or Cleveland. Someone should've asked about those teams.

Holy sh-- coach, you play 2B for the A's?

682445[/snapback]

Nick Swisher (East Bay): Mort, explain your statement that the Ravens were "absolutely not" gonna take Whitner at 13, when Billick admitted on Monday that they were? Also, the Dolphins wanted him at 16.

Chris Mortensen: (12:12 PM ET ) The Ravens might have taken Whitner if Ngata was no there. He was one of their considerations if Ngata was gone. Ngata was there and that's who they took.

(and 1B and RF :P )

Nick Swisher (East Bay): Mort, explain your statement that the Ravens were "absolutely not" gonna take Whitner at 13, when Billick admitted on Monday that they were? Also, the Dolphins wanted him at 16.

Chris Mortensen: (12:12 PM ET ) The Ravens might have taken Whitner if Ngata was no there. He was one of their considerations if Ngata was gone. Ngata was there and that's who they took.

(and 1B and RF  :P )

682464[/snapback]

So if we were "good boys" and picked Ngata then Baltimore would have picked Whitner, but there was no chance anyone would take him in the first round and so it was a reach for us to do so... :lol:

So if we were "good boys" and picked Ngata then Baltimore would have picked Whitner, but there was no chance anyone would take him in the first round and so it was a reach for us to do so...  :P

682469[/snapback]

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

(this one wasn't me)

Mat (Scottsdale, AZ): Can you expound on the *there was confusion in the Bills draft room"...

Chris Mortensen: (12:16 PM ET ) They were set to take Bunkley and switched. They also could have traded back and still ended up with Whitner.

Here is my question to that pig faced satan!!!

So your source said that there was confusion in Buffalo's draft room?

Was there confusion when your buddy Tom Donahoe picked Mike Williams with the fourth overall pick?

Was there confusion when Donahoe traded away three picks for Losman?

How about last years draft when the Bills picked an undersized wr wth our second round choice when we needed to bolster both lines? Who really is confused?

(neither was this one!!!)

Dan: So the Ravens had strong interest in taking Whitner at 13 acording to Billick? Why dont you admit your error regarding the Bills taking him at 8...I think NFL fans might have more respect for you and think even your buddy Tom Donahoe might have more respect for you!

Chris Mortensen: (12:20 PM ET ) Strong interest does not mean they were taking him, especially with Ngata there. The Ravens never deviate from their board. Ngata was ahead of Whitner. What I told you is the truth. You can accept it or not.

(this one wasn't me)

Mat (Scottsdale, AZ): Can you expound on the *there was confusion in the Bills draft room"...

Chris Mortensen: (12:16 PM ET ) They were set to take Bunkley and switched. They also could have traded back and still ended up with Whitner.

682478[/snapback]

Ask his the source of his War Room info...

(this one wasn't me)

682478[/snapback]

No, Mort, the confusion was cleared up by the firing of your a**hole buddy.

Why is everyone so obsessed with what Chris Morenson had to say? Just like so many criticize anyone here who criticized the Bills draft ("oh, so now you know more about football than Marv Levy, Dick Jauron and Tom Modrak?" you scoff), isn't it possible that Mort knows more about what went on in the individual "war rooms" than any of us too? I mean, it is his job...I don't have a problem with the picks, and neither do the Bills. I think Mortenson, agenda or not, is likely right that the Bills could have gotten the same guys, and given up less. They wouldn't be the first team to make that mistake. Everyone just settle down. If Mort didn't "hate Buffalo" before, he likely does now....