MY TAKE ON OUR 2006-2007 BUFFALO BILLS DEFENSE!

sven233

Our DEFENSE is solid now. I know we may have not made the most popular picks with a lot of people, but we drafted quality players on Day 1.

Here is what we have (in terms of Starters) as of the end of Day 1 of the draft:

DEFENSE

DE - Kelsay: Here is a guy that did show improvement last year. I thought we would get a little more out of him last year than we did after watching training camp and the preseason, but he really started to improve last year. Besides, he really didn't have any help in the middle last year. This year, with Tripplet and McCargo, we got 2 guys that are quick and can create a new line of scrimmage. This will in turn help Kelsay progress nicely. He is not an All-Pro, probably never will be, but I like the fit for this defense.

DE - Schobel: Had another productive year last year. Quietly, he is a solid playmaker and showed that he can make plays on his own. There is no reason to think that his play will get nothing but better as time goes on. He is coming into his prime and I expect another solid year from him this year. He is easily one of our most consistant players on defense and will make a lot of plays for us this year,

DT - Larry Tripplet: A new type of DT than we are used to around here. Both he and McCargo are very quick and athletic and that is what this new defensive scheme is all about. While he will not clog up the middle of the defensive line, he will create a new line of scrimmage beating a lot of centers and guards. He may not have a lot of tackles, but that will not be his job. He will put pressure on the backs and force them to change direction in the backfield. He will force them to change direction right into our aggressive, fast, and hard hitting linebackers. All in all, he, along with the rest of the defensive line will force plays to happen more quickly which plays right into the hands of our fantastic LB core and our aggressive and fast secondary.

DT- McCargo: See Tripplet. Very similar in style. We are not going to plug up the middle to stop the run, but rather stop the run in waves.....He, long with Tripplet will get penatration and force the play right into our linebackers hands.

LB - Spikes: We all know that, when healthy, is one of the top 3 linebackers in the league. Perfect for this defense if he comes back 100%. With his desire and work ethic, there is no reason to doubt that this is possible.

LB - Fletcher: Our most consistant LB. He is just a tackling machine. No reason to doubt that he will have another big year.

LB - Crowell: I think he is better than Posey and will find himself starting this year. He showed improvement every game he played last year and is very athletic. I think he is a good fit for this fast, athletic, and aggressive style of defense.

CB - McGee: Might be the best all around player on the team. He is a solid #2 corner and has playmaking ability. He might just be the best corner on the team this year! I know he gets burned once in a while, but he is a guy that will get better every snap. He is a game changer with his spped and aggressive approach!

CB - Clements: Say what you want about him. He does get toasted at times. But at other times, he is a gamebreaker! All corners do get beat, and he had his share of moments last year, but I expect him to bounce back with a solid year. He is a gamebreaker when he plays him game and a true shutdown corner, most of the time. Too bad it will probably be his last year in Buffalo because I really think this new defense will play to his strengths. I believe his replacement was drafted today in Youboty. He is a first round talent that we picked up in the 3rd. He will play nickle this year and complete one of the best, if not the best, trio of CBs in the league!

FS - Vincent: Here is where I believe our biggest weakness is on defense. He has lost a step and it was quite notable last year. However, I believe with this new defense, that weakness might be covered up a little bit due to the fact that that our opponents might have to make quicker decisions which will allow Vincent to keep up. Also, he is a leader back there and a smart player. He might not be the best player we have on defense, but I think he will be good enough.

SS - Whitner: A younger, stronger, faster version of Laywer Milloy. That is the way London Fletcher described him in his press conference today. He is a guy and film rat. His work ethic is second to none according to Fletcher, Spikes and others on this defense. He has a winning attitude that puts the team first. Yeah, he is a rookie and will make mistakes. But he is a playmaker and will make this team better. He will improve the SS position. Yes.....I said he will improve it over Lawyer Milloy. With 4.36 speed and a 40" vertical jump, he more than makes up for his lack of size. He is good in run support and can cover TEs and WRs (slot guys). He is a hard hitting, sure tackler. Think a younger version of Lawyer Milloy or even a safety version of Winfield. He will make plays for us this year and is perfect for this new fast, aggressive style of defense!

Well, that is my review of our 2006-2007 defense. I will give you my offensive projections tomorrow after the draft is complete!!!

Let's get ready for Day 2 of the draft in just about 11 hours!

Our DEFENSE is solid now.  I know we may have not made the most popular picks with a lot of people, but we drafted quality players on Day 1.

Here is what we have (in terms of Starters) as of the end of Day 1 of the draft:

DEFENSE

DE - Kelsay:  Here is a guy that did show improvement last year.  I thought we would get a little more out of him last year than we did after watching training camp and the preseason, but he really started to improve last year.  Besides, he really didn't have any help in the middle last year.  This year, with Tripplet and McCargo, we got 2 guys that are quick and can create a new line of scrimmage.  This will in turn help Kelsay progress nicely.  He is not an All-Pro, probably never will be, but I like the fit for this defense.

DE - Schobel:  Had another productive year last year.  Quietly, he is a solid playmaker and showed that he can make plays on his own.  There is no reason to think that his play will get nothing but better as time goes on.  He is coming into his prime and I expect another solid year from him this year.  He is easily one of our most consistant players on defense and will make a lot of plays for us this year,

DT - Larry Tripplet:  A new type of DT than we are used to around here.  Both he and McCargo are very quick and athletic and that is what this new defensive scheme is all about.  While he will not clog up the middle of the defensive line, he will create a new line of scrimmage beating a lot of centers and guards.  He may not have a lot of tackles, but that will not be his job.  He will put pressure on the backs and force them to change direction in the backfield.  He will force them to change direction right into our aggressive, fast, and hard hitting linebackers.  All in all, he, along with the rest of the defensive line will force plays to happen more quickly which plays right into the hands of our fantastic LB core and our aggressive and fast secondary.

DT- McCargo:  See Tripplet. Very similar in style.  We are not going to plug up the middle to stop the run, but rather stop the run in waves.....He, long with Tripplet will get penatration and force the play right into our linebackers hands.

LB - Spikes:  We all know that, when healthy, is one of the top 3 linebackers in the league.  Perfect for this defense if he comes back 100%.  With his desire and work ethic, there is no reason to doubt that this is possible.

LB - Fletcher:  Our most consistant LB.  He is just a tackling machine.  No reason to doubt that he will have another big year.

LB - Crowell:  I think he is better than Posey and will find himself starting this year.  He showed improvement every game he played last year and is very athletic.  I think he is a good fit for this fast, athletic, and aggressive style of defense.

CB - McGee:  Might be the best all around player on the team.  He is a solid #2 corner and has playmaking ability.  He might just be the best corner on the team this year!  I know he gets burned once in a while, but he is a guy that will get better every snap.  He is a game changer with his spped and aggressive approach!

CB - Clements:  Say what you want about him.  He does get toasted at times.  But at other times, he is a gamebreaker!  All corners do get beat, and he had his share of moments last year, but I expect him to bounce back with a solid year.  He is a gamebreaker when he plays him game and a true shutdown corner, most of the time.  Too bad it will probably be his last year in Buffalo because I really think this new defense will play to his strengths.  I believe his replacement was drafted today in Youboty.  He is a first round talent that we picked up in the 3rd.  He will play nickle this year and complete one of the best, if not the best, trio of CBs in the league!

FS - Vincent:  Here is where I believe our biggest weakness is on defense.  He has lost a step and it was quite notable last year.  However, I believe with this new defense, that weakness might be covered up a little bit due to the fact that that our opponents might have to make quicker decisions which will allow Vincent to keep up. Also, he is a leader back there and a smart player.  He might not be the best player we have on defense, but I think he will be good enough.

SS - Whitner:  A younger, stronger, faster version of Laywer Milloy.  That is the way London Fletcher described him in his press conference today.  He is a guy and film rat.  His work ethic is second to none according to Fletcher, Spikes and others on this defense.  He has a winning attitude that puts the team first.  Yeah, he is a rookie and will make mistakes.  But he is a playmaker and will make this team better.  He will improve the SS position.  Yes.....I said he will improve it over Lawyer Milloy.  With 4.36 speed and a 40" vertical jump, he more than makes up for his lack of size.  He is good in run support and can cover TEs and WRs (slot guys).  He is a hard hitting, sure tackler.  Think a younger version of Lawyer Milloy or even a safety version of Winfield.  He will make plays for us this year and is perfect for this new fast, aggressive style of defense!

Well, that is my review of our 2006-2007 defense.  I will give you my offensive projections tomorrow after the draft is complete!!!

677263[/snapback]

Thank you! :):devil:;):P:D You are definitely someone who knows what they're talking about.

DT - Larry Tripplet:  A new type of DT than we are used to around here.  Both he and McCargo are very quick and athletic and that is what this new defensive scheme is all about.  While he will not clog up the middle of the defensive line, he will create a new line of scrimmage beating a lot of centers and guards.  He may not have a lot of tackles, but that will not be his job.  He will put pressure on the backs and force them to change direction in the backfield.  He will force them to change direction right into our aggressive, fast, and hard hitting linebackers.  All in all, he, along with the rest of the defensive line will force plays to happen more quickly which plays right into the hands of our fantastic LB core and our aggressive and fast secondary.

DT- McCargo:  See Tripplet. Very similar in style.  We are not going to plug up the middle to stop the run, but rather stop the run in waves.....He, long with Tripplet will get penatration and force the play right into our linebackers hands.

677263[/snapback]

They are not both starting, they play the same position, 3-tech DT (see Jauron quote in McCargo thread).

Our DEFENSE is solid now.  I know we may have not made the most popular picks with a lot of people, but we drafted quality players on Day 1.

DEFENSE

DE - Kelsay:  Here is a guy that did show improvement last year.  I thought we would get a little more out of him last year than we did after watching training camp and the preseason, but he really started to improve last year.  Besides, he really didn't have any help in the middle last year.  This year, with Tripplet and McCargo, we got 2 guys that are quick and can create a new line of scrimmage.  This will in turn help Kelsay progress nicely.  He is not an All-Pro, probably never will be, but I like the fit for this defense.

DE - Schobel:  Had another productive year last year.  Quietly, he is a solid playmaker and showed that he can make plays on his own.  There is no reason to think that his play will get nothing but better as time goes on.  He is coming into his prime and I expect another solid year from him this year.  He is easily one of our most consistant players on defense and will make a lot of plays for us this year,

They need a better pass-rushing DE. They have just been getting by with a "solid playmaker" like Schobel. They need somebody that demands attention. Most of the better than average OTs neutralize Schobel.

They need a better pass-rushing DE.  They have just been getting by with a "solid playmaker" like Schobel.  They need somebody that demands attention.  Most of the better than average OTs neutralize Schobel.

677271[/snapback]

WHO? Were fine with our DE and besides Denney looks better than Kelsay.

They are not both starting, they play the same position, 3-tech DT (see Jauron quote in McCargo thread).

677270[/snapback]

We'll need to take turns explaining this over and over and over again... Maybe we can work out a schedule... I'll handle tomorrow, you the next day, etc.

Trips and Cargo will play together... on passing downs. They will rotate at the 3-tech otherwise.

It's a faster Defense than Last Year at the very least...And the Depth looks better too...I know most will say it's going to be hard to be worse than Last Years Defense regardless, and that's probably true...But there is also a chance that on some 3rd Down situations this Year The Bills will have 3 Rookies on the Field...2 in the Secondary...so growing pains are assured as well...

I think the key is still TKO...If The Bills get 90% of the old Spikes for 16 Games the Defense will be MUCH better overall in 2006... :)

We'll need to take turns explaining this over and over and over again... Maybe we can work out a schedule... I'll handle tomorrow, you the next day, etc.

Trips and Cargo will play together... on passing downs.  They will rotate at the 3-tech otherwise.

677273[/snapback]

I don't think any explaining will work in here, at least not while the draft day haze is still thick. Maybe when reality sets in during training camp. ;):devil:

Tim Anderson... :)

BTW, thanks for the heads-up, I would've thought the same thing as everyone else.

677270[/snapback]

Granted, they do play a similar technique, but if you listen to the player (McCargo) in his interview, he did state that he played all over inside. With naturally he is a 3, he did say he lined up at nose alot as well. He said he played over center, on the inside and outside of the guards. NC State moved him all over inside. So, to say they both won't start might be a mistake.

Also, you have to remember that the DT position is constantly rotating. There really may not be "starters" so to speak. You will see many different combinations on the field. As of right now though, until training cam says different, these are the best 2 DTs we have on this team. So, that is why I deem them the "starters."

Thank you! :)  :devil:  ;)  :P  :D  You are definitely someone who knows what they're talking about.

677268[/snapback]

Thank you...I appreciate the compliment. However, this is how I see them now. After training camp, it may be different. But, for now, knowing what I know about the style of defense they plan on running, I think we are putting the right players in the right places.

One of the things which the HC and his coordinators do is put the players into the best positions for them to make plays.

I think folks are out to lunch simply assuming that this player or that player fits into our D scheme this particular way when excuse me THERE IS NO DEFINED BILLS D SCHEME FOR THEM TO FIT INTO YET.

True, Jauron has said we are going to run a Cover-2 and I think that is true to the extent that we are not gonna have the zone-bkitz as our base sheme as it was the last three years.

However, the scheme which our DC ran in his last job was actually a Cover-3 which divided the field into thirds for DB coverage rather than halves for safety coverage in the Cover 2.

Off the bat, I will be somewhat surprised (particularly after draftins an SS with CB speed who should play better pass coverage than the aging Milloy and stumbling upon a 3rd round drafted CB who some pundits had deserving a pick in the 1st) that our D doesn't tend toward some Cover 3 because we will have the DB talent to do this.

In addition, folks seem to invest in the fantasy that there was no way we considering Ngota because he is a one gap guy and we needed a two gap in our alleged Bills 06 D. There is talk (though much of these conclusions as to whether a player is 1 gap, 2 gap, 3 tech or whatever is just talk quite frankly) that actually McCargo and Ngata share this same flaw that made us no interested in Ngata.

It seems to me that while the '06 D will certainly be biased toward what has traditionally worked for Jauron with an overlay of what traditionally worked for Fenell, between now and camp Fenell will develop with strong guidance from Jauron a D which outs our two most effective DTs on the field at the same time with a rotation to buttress them. Just as Big Ted and Phat Pat had the same body and played the same way in our base 3-4, the Bills made liberal use of a D scheme known as the package that really was a 4-3 in order to get these two good players on the field at the same time.

If McCargo proves to be a good plater, I have few doubts that the Bills will employ a D scheme which allows him and Triplett to take the field together.

seven...a couple of comments....

I actually thought that Kelsay regressed a little bit last year.....the year before he looked like he might make a huge step forward into the full time role but it didn't happen.....one of the things I didn't like is it looked like he got pushed out of position on run plays (the year before he used his quickness to get in on plays) but I am not ready to give up on him....

I think with McCargo and Tripplett we will see a different type of defense....I can see us getting beaten now and again on runs but I also think that the bills defense could turn into a HUGE turnover creating machine because of Tripplett and McCargo's ability to get pressure up the middle of the field....this will allow the linebackers and defensive ends to get very disruptive without giving up containment and turn it into a shark feeding frenzy....either creating more sacks or fumbles OR creating more opportunities for our cornerbacks and safties (all of which now appear to be ballhawks especially with the insertion of Dante and Labooty)

More turnovers means more chances for our offense......

You know...I am actually starting to get excited about the season again..... :)

DEFENSE

LB - Spikes:  We all know that, when healthy, is one of the top 3 linebackers in the league.  Perfect for this defense if he comes back 100%.  With his desire and work ethic, there is no reason to doubt that this is possible.

LB - Fletcher:  Our most consistant LB.  He is just a tackling machine.  No reason to doubt that he will have another big year.

LB - Crowell:  I think he is better than Posey and will find himself starting this year.  He showed improvement every game he played last year and is very athletic.  I think he is a good fit for this fast, athletic, and aggressive style of defense.

CB - McGee:  Might be the best all around player on the team.  He is a solid #2 corner and has playmaking ability.  He might just be the best corner on the team this year!  I know he gets burned once in a while, but he is a guy that will get better every snap.  He is a game changer with his spped and aggressive approach!

CB - Clements:  Say what you want about him.  He does get toasted at times.  But at other times, he is a gamebreaker!  All corners do get beat, and he had his share of moments last year, but I expect him to bounce back with a solid year.  He is a gamebreaker when he plays him game and a true shutdown corner, most of the time.  Too bad it will probably be his last year in Buffalo because I really think this new defense will play to his strengths.  I believe his replacement was drafted today in Youboty.  He is a first round talent that we picked up in the 3rd.  He will play nickle this year and complete one of the best, if not the best, trio of CBs in the league!

FS - Vincent:  Here is where I believe our biggest weakness is on defense.  He has lost a step and it was quite notable last year.  However, I believe with this new defense, that weakness might be covered up a little bit due to the fact that that our opponents might have to make quicker decisions which will allow Vincent to keep up. Also, he is a leader back there and a smart player.  He might not be the best player we have on defense, but I think he will be good enough.

SS - Whitner:  A younger, stronger, faster version of Laywer Milloy.  That is the way London Fletcher described him in his press conference today.  He is a guy and film rat.  His work ethic is second to none according to Fletcher, Spikes and others on this defense.  He has a winning attitude that puts the team first.  Yeah, he is a rookie and will make mistakes.  But he is a playmaker and will make this team better.  He will improve the SS position.  Yes.....I said he will improve it over Lawyer Milloy.  With 4.36 speed and a 40" vertical jump, he more than makes up for his lack of size.  He is good in run support and can cover TEs and WRs (slot guys).  He is a hard hitting, sure tackler.  Think a younger version of Lawyer Milloy or even a safety version of Winfield.  He will make plays for us this year and is perfect for this new fast, aggressive style of defense!

Well, that is my review of our 2006-2007 defense.  I will give you my offensive projections tomorrow after the draft is complete!!!

677263[/snapback]

I disagree with your assessment that he was out biggest weakness and think you also may underestimate how much more appropriate Cover-2 is for a player of his type at this point in his career.

If you want to peg him as our weak link then the splainin' you will need to do is how this weak link tied for the team lead in INTs (he and McGee both had 5) and also in fumble recoveries (his realtively platry 2 actually tied him for the team lead.

The zone blitz as we played it actually used the safeties relatively interchangeably. He showed no fear of making a hit, but the centerfielder duties critical to a safety in a Cover 2 by far more fits his skillset than the run support mandated of safeties in the zone blitz.

He certainly has lost a step from his younger Pro Bowl days at CB. Yet, he covered this career wise by moving to safett from CB where there us less of a speed mandate. He lost a step yes, but he had a step to lose and still be more than adequate for centerfielder rather than pinch cover duty.

In fact, diagnosing the play to work on coberage or run support will be the primary factor in determing the quality of his play and here his experiences will be quite useful in performing well.

Someone mentioned the role he can play as a mentor to the young Whitmer. I think he nat wekk prove to be one of the more valuable defenders on this team in 06.

677263[/snapback]

Do not post things like this about Whitner. We must understand this was a horrific pick.

And you want to know the REAL reason why???

Because 99 percent of te 'experts' have their panties in a bunch because they had no idea Whitner was shooting up the board so they are gonna act like bitches and call the Bills out because they NEED to have a "winners and losers" section.

What a joke THAT is.

DEFENSE

677263[/snapback]

I disagree on Kelsay completely. I thought he would step up last year after a promising rookie campaign. Instead he was invisible for the majority of the season.

DEFENSE

677263[/snapback]

We still need a real DE--not Mike Lodish JR with a high motor

I'm also in the group that says we need a pass rushing DE. There isn't going to be much blitzing out of this defensive scheme, so the pressure is on the DL to rush the QB. Unfortunately, Schobel is the only player we have that has shown that he's remotely up to the task. Ideally, we need a new LDE, but this late in the draft, I'll settle for a long yardage pass rushing specialist. If we don't improve here I think every QB in the league is going to have all day to pick this secondary apart.

OK, I can see where you guys are coming from on Kelsay. I was also expecting more from him last year. The way I saw him last year was this.....He had an OK start to the season. He slumped in the middle and then picked up his game in the last 3 -4 games or so. Granted, I think we need more there, but I am hoping that this new style of defense helps him use his strengths a little bit more.

As for Vincent, I never said he had a bad year last year, I just think out of everyone in the secondary, he might be the worst (and that is relatively speaking....the guy can still make plays. He is by no means a bad player). I just don't think he is as talented as Clements, McGee, or Whitner. That is all I am saying. Also, he did struggle at times last year. He got burned in coverage a bit. Was run over and by a few times. However, our entire secondary struggled last year and a lot of that had to do with not getting pressure on the QB and not being able to stop the run. I do expect all of that to be much better this year and I expect a good year from Vincent.

DEFENSE

677263[/snapback]

I think the defense will be improved, but can we stop the run? I sure hope we can.

Trips and Cargo will play together... on passing downs.  They will rotate at the 3-tech otherwise.

677273[/snapback]

Here's a thought.

What if they don;t always line up on the nose but put both DTs on the Gs and let them shoot the gaps. Make the C guess which side to help on.

Sure seemed that;s what teams have beeen doing that to the Bills for the last few years.

Attack the offense

Here's a thought.

What if they don;t always line up on the nose but put both DTs on the Gs and let them shoot the gaps. Make the C guess which side to help on.

Sure seemed that;s what teams have beeen doing that to the Bills for the last few years. 

Attack the offense

677988[/snapback]

I think that you will see a lot of different combinations on the field.

Here's a thought.

Attack the offense

677988[/snapback]

Trips and Cargo will play together on passing downs. My only point has been that on running downs, i.e. starting downs, Anderson/Williams will be on the field. Trips and Anderson will the starters.

I disagree on Kelsay completely.  I thought he would step up last year after a promising rookie campaign.  Instead he was invisible for the majority of the season.

677441[/snapback]

The runningback doesn't have to bounce outside when he can run right up your gut.