Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

The only way this pick makes sense is if they had Whitner rated way higher than anybody else left in the draft and didn't want to risk losing him in a trade down.  Otherwise they could have moved down and if Whitner isn't there you draft one of the other guys you have similarly rated.

674952[/snapback]

And that HAS to be what happened. I can live with it.

The Ravens were targeting Ngata all along.  ESPN interviewed him in his home and he was wearing a Ravens cap.  That was planned.  Of course, other teams could've sent him their gear but that's really unlikely.

674965[/snapback]

the Texans also told the world for the last 4 months they were taking reggie bush :(

Obviously this is a controversial pick. That goes without saying.

However, obviously 3 things happened here.

1) Whittner was clearly the highest player left on the Bills board when they were ont he clock. If they had several guys bunched in right then, they would have traded down and simply took whichever one was left. Obviously they feel so highly of Whitner that they didnt think it was worth an additional draft pick to chance losing him.

2) We all scream....TRADE DOWN!!!!. Obviously MArv Levy isn't a dumb man. I don't think he had Andy Reid on the phone and said " What's that Andy? A second round pick and the 14th pick in the draft? Well, that's all well and good....but I would feel better about paying Donte Whittner #8 money than trading down and paying him #14 money and getting an additional pick". Obviously there was a glitch there that caused the bills to balk at the idea of trading down.

3) They apparently didn't like either of the DT's left....and Winston Justice from everything I read may be a year or 2 away from even being ready to see the field.

Bottom line is......they took the player they wanted.....and while it sounds good to criticize on draft day.....the truth will come out once the pads come on in August. Not the guy I had penciled in for the Bills....but I don't think Marv Levy and the Bills simply negelected a chance to make this team better. They obviously feel Whitner was the best fit for the price of the 8th pick in the draft.

Is there anybody that likes this pick?

674839[/snapback]

YES. Emphatically Yes. Not sure I like it No. 8, but we'll be quite happy with his performance. As an OSU fan, I can tell you that this kid plays football ... doesn't take plays off and is going to be a good player in the NFL.

I hear the knock on his size and think how good Antoine Winfield was ... I know you expect a little different out of your free safety, but it is a need don't forget. And needs need filled.

Don't forget that he is only a junior and was expected to move up to a top-10 pick if he stayed in school ... I guess the Bills thought he should be a top-10 pick a year sooner (uh hmmm... McGahee).

Maybe the offers for the No. 8 simply weren't there. I'm not sure there were any teams really pushing to get in position for Leinart (aside from the Broncos who had their deal already made and knew the Bills were not a threat).

Would you rather have the Vince Young question marks or the Whitner sure thing? This kid is a starter on 3 downs right now. Plus he's a special teams' hawk (remember who's drafting here, OK?). The Bills need players, not question marks like Bunkley and Ngata.

Those guys might turn out to be better NFL players, but the Bills don't have the luxury of taking risks: they suck too badly to take a chance.

I don't love the pick at 8, but it's not the end of the world. He's a good kid, and a starter. He'll get right to work helping the Bills.

Analysis of Bills pick from Pro Football Weekly...........

Buffalo: S Donte Whitner, Ohio State

Some outsiders might consider this pick a bit of a reach. The reality is that a lot of teams were lining up to secure Whitner and he was graded as a consensus first-round talent around the league and would not have lasted much longer. He is very, very smart and instinctive and should replace Coy Wire in the starting lineup immediately. With intelligence and character being highly valued by new head coach Dick Jauron, a former NFL safety himself, Whitner was a natural fit.

Some outsiders might consider this pick a bit of a reach. The reality is that a lot of teams were lining up to secure Whitner and he was graded as a consensus first-round talent around the league and would not have lasted much longer. He is very, very smart and instinctive and should replace Coy Wire in the starting lineup and on the roster immediately. With intelligence and character being highly valued by new head coach Dick Jauron, a former NFL safety himself, Whitner was a natural fit.

675002[/snapback]

Fixed. :(

ESPN had Whitner rated as the 20th most-talented prospect. The only players ahead of him who could have helped the Bills were Bunkley (character and knee injuries), Ngata (2 down player with questions), and Justice (falling fast in this draft). Looks like Marv picked the sure thing: serious ball hawk who fills a need-position and plays special teams.

Check one Bills' need off the list.

Analysis of Bills pick from Pro Football Weekly...........

Some outsiders might consider this pick a bit of a reach. The reality is that a lot of teams were lining up to secure Whitner and he was graded as a consensus first-round talent around the league and would not have lasted much longer. He is very, very smart and instinctive and should replace Coy Wire in the starting lineup immediately. With intelligence and character being highly valued by new head coach Dick Jauron, a former NFL safety himself, Whitner was a natural fit.

675002[/snapback]

When Marv said the Player The Bills REALLY liked would likely be available midway through the 1st Round I thought it was Justice or Whitner for sure...Turns out it was Whitner...

To simplify this Pick I guess you could say Marv/Jauron/Modrak feel Donte Whitner = Ed Reed... :(

People were willing to reach for Ngata, Bunkley, and Justice, so whats the big deal?

674948[/snapback]

Here's my post:

"It's not about whether or not he's a good player, because he is. It's about value, and the Bills didn't get it with their pick. Although they needed a safety, OL and DL were higher priorities. A trade down would have been the way to go, regardless of whether or not they lost Whitner. Bottom line: this kid better be a stud because it was stupid to take him that high."

Where do I advocate reaching for any of those players? "A trade down would have been the way to go..." was my main point. That's the big deal. Maybe they couldn't find a partner, who knows? I just don't like this pick at #8.

I like the player i guess, but once again, like all the other people on the board, it was just a reach.

675036[/snapback]

Who was the better pick? Bunkley (knees and character), Ngata (2 down limitations), and Leinart (arm strength) all have bigger question marks. Whitner fills an immediate need.

YES. Emphatically Yes. Not sure I like it No. 8, but we'll be quite happy with his performance. As an OSU fan, I can tell you that this kid plays football ... doesn't take plays off and is going to be a good player in the NFL.

I hear the knock on his size and think how good Antoine Winfield was ... I know you expect a little different out of your free safety, but it is a need don't forget. And needs need filled.

Don't forget that he is only a junior and was expected to move up to a top-10 pick if he stayed in school ... I guess the Bills thought he should be a top-10 pick a year sooner (uh hmmm... McGahee).

Maybe the offers for the No. 8 simply weren't there. I'm not sure there were any teams really pushing to get in position for Leinart (aside from the Broncos who had their deal already made and knew the Bills were not a threat).

674974[/snapback]

Finally! Thanks for the input.