Carucci says Bills looking to trade down

Meant to post this yesterday. Vic Carucci stated on the Channel 7 Sunday Night Sports Wrap show that the Bills were aggressively looking to trade down in Rd. 1 and pick up extra picks.

If that's the case, how far back would you be comfortable with them moving and who would you take in the 14-20 range?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14-20? That sounds like a big trade down. I'd have to wonder who would be the best players available there. I suspect Winston Justice MIGHT be there as MIGHT Bunkley or maybe Ngata but all three are really iffy. I was seeing us trade down to somewhere between 10 and 15. Boy that would be a risky trade down.

I would trade down to the 15-18, it almost guarantees an additional 2nd. I'll take the prospect of having 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and get solid depth with 2 starters this year, with the prospect of 2 starters next year and one guy who doesn't pan.

This team has 4 or 5 major holes, not 1 big one that can change a game. If the coaches are good they will put them into a system for them to excel hence the 2 immediate starters and 2 guys that could fit the system.

I would go OL first pick (Justice, who might be there 15-18), then a CB or a DT 2nd round, with an additional OL or DT pick for my other 2nd rounder.

I'll take that any day of the week over a big gamer in the 8th spot who is expensive, and only fills one hole (potentially). Basically I would have traded Vick for Tomlinson and Brees over Vick.

I don't mind Bills trading down. But I don't like the sound of the "aggressive" characterization.

Carucci isn't one to spread wild rumors, so there's got to be a touch of truth to it. If Bills are aggressively pursuing a trade one week before the draft, I'm guessing that the return may not be that good.

Meant to post this yesterday. Vic Carucci stated on the Channel 7 Sunday Night Sports Wrap show that the Bills were agressively looking to trade down in Rd. 1 and pick up extra picks.

If that's the case, how far back would you be comfortable with them moving and who would you take in the 14-20 range?

669748[/snapback]

Tough to give you exact answers CVM, because I would have to judge any random offer by what the other team is willing to give up.

Imo, trading down is one of the few ways that small franchises can stick it to the rich ones.

I would NOT go down to 14 for a mere 2nd, and I don't give a crap about the "chart" in that sense. A 2nd, plus a 2nd or 3rd in 07, and then we can talk. If not, I would rather stay put.

Jmo.

How does a move like that translate?

If we trade down to 14th do we get a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder?

Does anyone have a copy of the trade value chart to see...

669758[/snapback]

A second, provided the second was also the 14th in that round.

I would trade down to the 15-18, it almost guarantees an additional 2nd. I'll take the prospect of having 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and get solid depth with 2 starters this year, with the prospect of 2 starters next year and one guy who doesn't pan.

This team has 4 or 5 major holes, not 1 big one that can change a game. If the coaches are good they will put them into a system for them to excel hence the 2 immediate starters and 2 guys that could fit the system.

I would go OL first pick (Justice, who might be there 15-18), then a CB or a DT 2nd round, with an additional OL or DT pick for my other 2nd rounder.

I'll take that any day of the week over a big gamer in the 8th spot who is expensive, and only fills one hole (potentially). Basically I would have traded Vick for Tomlinson and Brees over Vick.

669766[/snapback]

I like your rationale.

tough question.... but this is the rumor i have been hoping to hear for the past month!

I don't think Justice, Nagta or Bunkley make it past either Detroit, St. Louis or Cleveland. So if they trade down past #12, they had better get GREAT value for the move. St. Louis might trade down to get Vernon Davis if the 49ers pass on him and the Raiders take Young. Allowing the Bills to still get one of those two DT's.

I would trade down to the 15-18, it almost guarantees an additional 2nd. I'll take the prospect of having 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds

669766[/snapback]

5 picks by pick #73, when most teams would only have 2 players off the board.

In this deep draft, that's huge.

I think trading down and getting another Day 1 pick is a good strategy given the state of the team. However, if you trade down past pick #12, you run the likely risk that Justice, Bunkley, and Ngata are gone. Most of the projections have all DB's, RB's, and WR's slotted 15-25.

I wouldnt mind trading down to 12-16 getting an additional 2nd, packaging that 2nd with one of our thirds to get another late prospect in the first round. This is where the draft gets interesting. We have plenty of picks I say we do it. Oh by the way with the late first we grab Mangold and move Fowler to LG. Just a thought though.

5 picks by pick #73, when most teams would only have 2 players off the board.

In this deep draft, that's huge.

669782[/snapback]

Carucci also said that from what he's hearing from GM's, the 1st round this year isn't that deep. As a whole, the draft is deep and you can get a talented guy in the late 3rd that would normally go in the second, but all in all there's only about 20 guys that have a "1st round grading." Further he said, that from a grading standpoint, pick #20 through the early 3rd isn't that far apart.

Heard it on his call in to one of the local Atlanta sports talk stations.

Tough to give you exact answers CVM, because I would have to judge any random offer by what the other team is willing to give up.

Imo, trading down is one of the few ways that small franchises can stick it to the rich ones.

I would NOT go down to 14 for a mere 2nd, and I don't give a crap about the "chart" in that sense. A 2nd, plus a 2nd or 3rd in 07, and then we can talk. If not, I would rather stay put.

Jmo.

669769[/snapback]

NE and PHI are a couple of teams that have done well by stockpiling future picks. In the '03 and '04 drafts, CIN obtained these starters with extra picks: FS Madieu Williams, pick #2b, FB Jeremi Johnson 4b, LB Landon Johnson 3b, DE Robert Geathers 4b. And also a useful G/T back-up, Scott Kooistra 7a. Plus a possible replacement for RT Willie Anderson - Shawn Andrew's younger brother, Stacey 4c.

Carucci also said that from what he's hearing from GM's, the 1st round this year isn't that deep. As a whole, the draft is deep and you can get a talented guy in the late 3rd that would normally go in the second, but all in all there's only about 20 guys that have a "1st round grading."  Further he said, that from a grading standpoint, pick #20 through the early 3rd isn't that far apart.

Heard it on his call in to one of the local Atlanta sports talk stations.

669800[/snapback]

That is true, after the top 25 there really isnt that much different talent wise. Just got to hope the guys you want will be there.

I don't mind Bills trading down.  But I don't like the sound of the "aggressive" characterization. 

Carucci isn't one to spread wild rumors, so there's got to be a touch of truth to it.  If Bills are aggressively pursuing a trade one week before the draft, I'm guessing that the return may not be that good.

669767[/snapback]

ol' vic was pretty tight with the marv-era bills, ghostwriting a couple of books. so i would assume he's at the front of the feeding trough with marv re tidbits. as for trading down, i expect that if the bills drop to 12 (trade with cleveland) and pick up an extra 3rd, everyone will be happy. cleveland will get ngata, who they openly covet, and we'll get bunkley. makes sense to me.

The more I think about it, I think that I'd trade down in a heartbeat if the right deal was on the table.

When you look at the percenatge of busts in the Top 10 picks it seems like a huge gamble $ wise when you have just as good of a shot of picking up a solid starter a few spots later. Not to mention that the Bills do have a lot of holes to fill.

That said, can you imagine the carping here if Levy pulls the trigger on a deal like this? Oh man, we could have had (fill in the blank) Ngata, Huff, Bunkley, Justice... Marv must go! :)

That said, can you imagine the carping here if Levy pulls the trigger on a deal like this? Oh man, we could have had (fill in the blank) Ngata, Huff, Bunkley, Justice... Marv must go!  ;)

669815[/snapback]

No matter what we do, that's a given. :)

ol' vic was pretty tight with the marv-era bills, ghostwriting a couple of books. so i would assume he's at the front of the feeding trough with marv re tidbits.

669812[/snapback]

Marv might be using Vic as his PR agent as well, to drum up awareness that the #8 is available. I'd be happy with a trade down to 18-22 to for an extra second rounder to get guys like Winston, Joseph or Giles.