Now we see who can play poker

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If GB was offering some decent O or D-liner, I'd consider it.  Definitely NOT for Javon Walker.  He is coming off ACL sugery, not to mention he has an attitude Levy would not find appealing.

PTR

643480[/snapback]

Half of pro football is coming off ACL surgery at one time or another. I don't know about attitude, I've never had a beer with the guy. I'm in the camp that if Moulds is gone, better find a good receiver somewhere to pair with Evans. Either take the freak TE prospect at 8, if available, or trade around to balance needs. I'd be more concerned about publicly annointed perfect college linemen going first round this year if it weren't for the draft being pretty deep in good (not spectacular) linemen. After watching Teague get run over and looking baffled for quite a while, I was most concerned about center, and although I had other choices, what we got is an upgrade. I'll be among the first to say, agree, and jump up and down that both lines have to be seriously improved. But improved doesn't have to mean going off the deep end in the other direction. Last I heard, it's a team sport and folks actually responsible for such have to make 22 pieces plus plug ins fit whatever it is they want to do. Moulds is gone. Go to Philly? Whatever. If that happens so be it. What does Philly have that you want? Walker has at least shown he can play.

Whether it's Modrak, Levy, or whoever, I think we will see who can win a staredown.  Let's review the situation:

1) Philly, Denver, Houston, and Green Bay all look serious about acquiring Moulds.

2) Philly and Houston have floated the idea of a 4th rounder or lower for Moulds.  Green Bay allegedly will "let us have" Walker for Moulds if we throw in some extra picks! (LOL!!!)

3) The Bills already got a 3rd rounder for a lesser player: Travis Henry.

4) Despite what the (misinformed) press says, the Bills are under no cap pressure to get rid of Moulds.

5) The Bills absolutely will NOT cut Moulds or allow him to leave without compensation, or allow him to go to an AFC East team.

It's obvious to me that teams are doing some negotiating through the press, talking about offering a second day (4th or lower) pick, trying to see how the Bills react.  Stone cold silence is the perfect tack for the Bills.

Eric Moulds is not damaged goods like Javon Walker.  He still can play, and these teams know it.  The Bills have three goals:

1) Get maximum value for Moulds

2) Keep him away from any team in the AFC East

3) Free up cap space.

2 and 3 are a slam dunk.  The Bills must stand firm on #1.  Moulds is worth far more than a #4.  Considering Peerless Price fetched a #1, Moulds is worth at least that!  I think the Bills ought to get a #1, or a lower pick with a prime player, for Moulds.

But to get that, the Bills will have to play hard-to-get, so don't expect a quick deal unless one team caves early to beat they others out.  So expect plenty of crying and name calling here at the Stadium Wall while the Moulds deal drags on.

PTR

643415[/snapback]

Good post up until the asking for a #1 came up. There is no team in the that will give us a #1 for EM or a #2 for that matter. The problem is EM wants to go to a contender. He wont play for a mediocre team, he feels he has earned the right to play for a SB, which is going to make negotiating with other teams that are successful tougher.

They will be the ones to hold the cards knowing how bad EM wants out and that the Bills want that salary off the books, no matter what people say trimming his salary is goal #1, if they really wanted EM they would pay him. We all know how frugal the brain trust is.I like your post and I see where you make the point about Price and Henry, but look what happened to Price when he went to ATL. He thrived in our system because of EM he had one good year and banked on it, good for him.Had this been 2 or 3 years ago I would agree with you he is worthy of a #1. I mean T.O. was traded for a #2, EM isnt in that league anymore. 0:)

Whether it's Modrak, Levy, or whoever, I think we will see who can win a staredown.  Let's review the situation:

1) Philly, Denver, Houston, and Green Bay all look serious about acquiring Moulds.

2) Philly and Houston have floated the idea of a 4th rounder or lower for Moulds.  Green Bay allegedly will "let us have" Walker for Moulds if we throw in some extra picks! (LOL!!!)

3) The Bills already got a 3rd rounder for a lesser player: Travis Henry.

4) Despite what the (misinformed) press says, the Bills are under no cap pressure to get rid of Moulds.

5) The Bills absolutely will NOT cut Moulds or allow him to leave without compensation, or allow him to go to an AFC East team.

It's obvious to me that teams are doing some negotiating through the press, talking about offering a second day (4th or lower) pick, trying to see how the Bills react.  Stone cold silence is the perfect tack for the Bills.

Eric Moulds is not damaged goods like Javon Walker.  He still can play, and these teams know it.  The Bills have three goals:

1) Get maximum value for Moulds

2) Keep him away from any team in the AFC East

3) Free up cap space.

2 and 3 are a slam dunk.  The Bills must stand firm on #1.  Moulds is worth far more than a #4.  Considering Peerless Price fetched a #1, Moulds is worth at least that!  I think the Bills ought to get a #1, or a lower pick with a prime player, for Moulds.

But to get that, the Bills will have to play hard-to-get, so don't expect a quick deal unless one team caves early to beat they others out.  So expect plenty of crying and name calling here at the Stadium Wall while the Moulds deal drags on.

PTR

643415[/snapback]

You don't know much about football if you think a 32 year old malcontent with an inflated contract will fetch a #1. Pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before that happens.

You don't know much about football if you think a 32 year old malcontent with an inflated contract will fetch a #1.  Pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before that happens.

643553[/snapback]

if those flying pigs can catch, I'd sign them up. 0:)

Every article I have read about the "interest" in Moulds is from the same source: Moulds agents.

Who knows what is true? The only thing we know is that Moulds agents overestimate his value in salary and underestimate the amount of leverage the Bills have and what the Bills can demand. That's ok because it is part of their job, but it still doesn't change the facts.

Moulds salary demands + his price in a trade = his value. Therefore, it is to Moulds benefit if the Bills asking price is low; therefore "reports" of the Bills asking for a 4th rounder are floated.

In real life the thing that matters is that Moulds has no reason to want off the Bills other than reasons that make him look like a bad team player. If he has problems with management, they are all gone now. He has been quoted in the past with glowing praise and admiration for Levy. All of a sudden he can't imagine ever playing for the Bills again? What did they do that was so bad? This ought to send up a red flag to potential suitors. His recent play ought to be another red flag, or at least a yellow. A high asking price would be a third. That's not a good equation for an agent. They are trying to manipulate the market in their own favor. There is only so far they can go before the risk of a holdout or sitting out a season is a risk the Bills will be able to take.

Um, I was not looking for attention when I posted that....we can take that discussion over to that thread

Obviously, you want me to respond to your post in that thread so YOU can get your much needed attention

643507[/snapback]

Nah. But one man's "discussion" is another's "attention." That pesky glass house thingy's a B word.

You don't know much about football if you think a 32 year old malcontent with an inflated contract will fetch a #1.  Pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before that happens.

643553[/snapback]

Didn't it happen when the Bills got Bledsoe? 0:)

Green Bay allegedly will "let us have" Walker for Moulds if we throw in some extra picks! (LOL!!!)

PTR

643415[/snapback]

This is the most ridiulous list ever. First off, Moulds is OLD. Walker is a top 10 receiver when healthy. Poker face? we''re going to CUT Moulds and wind up with nothing. You are the kind of moron that buys a tv, then tries to sell it at a yard sale for $5 less than you bought it for and still contend firmly that it is a good offer. No one is giving a 1st rounder for a soon to be 33 yr old receiver who will be on the waiver wire in a month anyway. Get a grip.

Didn't it happen when the Bills got Bledsoe? 0:)

643624[/snapback]

The difference between Bledsoe and Moulds is the nature of the position. At 32 a QB still has some life left in him, particularly if he was never known as a guy who could run. At 32 a WR is on the downside of his career and all he has to do is lose 1/2 step in terms of speed and he goes from being a Pro Bowl guy to a #3 WR for an average team.

Because Moulds is on the downside of his career and he plays a position where speed and agility are tops his value isn't what it once was, particularly if he's already said that he won't play another game for the Bills.

I like the original post. EM is better (even at this stage of his career) than any WR in the draft. If a team, like Philly or the others who really need a WR, wants a number one WR who can produce immediately, they should pay the piper.

There is no reason to cut or give up EM for less than adequate compensation. We hold all the cards. We are under no cap pressure to let him go right now. Let's play chicken with these teams and EM. If necessary, we can force EM's hands by retaining him.

Promo,

I have some nice real estate for you to buy on the moon. This guy is 33 years old, clearly on the backside of his career. Levy would stand on his head to get a 4th rounder. His cap figure is completely out of touch with reality, thus he will be cut. So instead of letting him walk for free, any second day draft pick-up would be a positive deal for the Bills.

Remember they got a third round for Henry for the following year. Typically a draft pick one year out is looked at as one round lower, so essentially was the same as getting a 4th rounder for Henry. Henry also had a reasonable contract which benefited both the team getting him, and was reasonable for the Bills to keep if a deal wasn't worked out.

A 1st rounder would be great, but I doubt it will happen.

Plus Beldsoe wasin in the early cap friendly years of his contract. We didn't have to pay the bonus and his base salary first couple of years was reasonable.

The difference between Bledsoe and Moulds is the nature of the position. At 32 a QB still has some life left in him, particularly if he was never known as a guy who could run. At 32 a WR is on the downside of his career and all he has to do is lose 1/2 step in terms of speed and he goes from being a Pro Bowl guy to a #3 WR for an average team.

Because Moulds is on the downside of his career and he plays a position where speed and agility are tops his value isn't what it once was, particularly if he's already said that he won't play another game for the Bills.

643691[/snapback]

There is no reason to cut or give up EM for less than adequate compensation.  We hold all the cards.  We are under no cap pressure to let him go right now.  Let's play chicken with these teams and EM.  If necessary, we can force EM's hands by retaining him.

643692[/snapback]

I've seen this reference to the Bills "holding all the cards" a few times, and I just don't understand it.

According to clumping platelets contract details, we probably have to give Moulds a $1,000,000 at the start of camp. For a player who won't renegotiate and isn't interested in being here, I don't understand why the Bills would pay it, so I'm assuming that Moulds will get cut before camp.

If my assumption is correct, or even if the GMs thinking about Moulds believe it's correct, why would they trade for him? Is it really worth a draft pick to have him attend off-season workouts?

The only benefit to trading for Moulds is if he's willing to accept a reasonable contract - but I think he would rather see what he can get on the open market before signing as a second-level receiver.

If the Bills don't cut him before camp, Moulds gets a $1,000,000 for showing up. If we don't cut him before the start of the season, we owe him another $6,000,000.

It appears the only threat we have is that we cut him late in the off-season when other teams don't have any cap room left, unfortunately with the increase in the cap this year, I'm sure there will still be several teams able to sign him to a cap-friendly contract up to the start of the season.

Hopefully the Bills don't get caught playing poker and chicken while everyone is playing football.

643553[/snapback]

Yeah, and a malcontent of the same age who disses his teammates publicly and fights with coaches to the point he gets kicked off the team (his second in 3 years) can become the hottest FA commodity and signed a few minutes after he is released, welcome to America, anything can happen no matter how much of a d*ck you are

Look, as I said prior, we shouldn't let this drag on. A way to get things off center is to work with GB ( where I'm pretty sure EM doesn't want to go ) in earnest to come up with a deal we can both live with. The Bills may have to eat some of the salary, exchange picks or players or combinations. It has to be good for both or it will not happen. EM knowing that we can trade him without his acceptance and to a place he is not going to get a ring will work with Philly or Denver and the Bills to rework his contract to get a trade to a team he wants or he ends up in GB. The choice is EM's. You can replace GB with any team having WR needs. The object is to get a deal done in principle with a deadline for EM to make or break the deal. This will get the EM issue resolved before the draft so we can fill in the blanks on draft day.

Yeah, and a malcontent of the same age who disses his teammates publicly and fights with coaches to the point he gets kicked off the team (his second in 3 years) can become the hottest FA commodity and signed a few minutes after he is released, welcome to America, anything can happen no matter how much of a d*ck you are

643720[/snapback]

Ummmmmm, you are comparing Moulds to one of the best pure receivers the game has seen. Not a good comparison, plus Dallas didn't have to give up a pick for Owens.