Now we see who can play poker

Whether it's Modrak, Levy, or whoever, I think we will see who can win a staredown. Let's review the situation:

1) Philly, Denver, Houston, and Green Bay all look serious about acquiring Moulds.

2) Philly and Houston have floated the idea of a 4th rounder or lower for Moulds. Green Bay allegedly will "let us have" Walker for Moulds if we throw in some extra picks! (LOL!!!)

3) The Bills already got a 3rd rounder for a lesser player: Travis Henry.

4) Despite what the (misinformed) press says, the Bills are under no cap pressure to get rid of Moulds.

5) The Bills absolutely will NOT cut Moulds or allow him to leave without compensation, or allow him to go to an AFC East team.

It's obvious to me that teams are doing some negotiating through the press, talking about offering a second day (4th or lower) pick, trying to see how the Bills react. Stone cold silence is the perfect tack for the Bills.

Eric Moulds is not damaged goods like Javon Walker. He still can play, and these teams know it. The Bills have three goals:

1) Get maximum value for Moulds

2) Keep him away from any team in the AFC East

3) Free up cap space.

2 and 3 are a slam dunk. The Bills must stand firm on #1. Moulds is worth far more than a #4. Considering Peerless Price fetched a #1, Moulds is worth at least that! I think the Bills ought to get a #1, or a lower pick with a prime player, for Moulds.

But to get that, the Bills will have to play hard-to-get, so don't expect a quick deal unless one team caves early to beat they others out. So expect plenty of crying and name calling here at the Stadium Wall while the Moulds deal drags on.

PTR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether it's Modrak, Levy, or whoever, I think we will see who can win a staredown.  Let's review the situation:

1) Philly, Denver, Houston, and Green Bay all look serious about acquiring Moulds.

2) Philly and Houston have floated the idea of a 4th rounder or lower for Moulds.  Green Bay allegedly will "let us have" Walker for Moulds if we throw in some extra picks! (LOL!!!)

4) Despite what the (misinformed) press says, the Bills are under no cap pressure to get rid of Moulds.

5) The Bills absolutely will NOT cut Moulds or allow him to leave without compensation, or allow him to go to an AFC East team.

It's obvious to me that teams are doing some negotiating through the press, talking about offering a second day (4th or lower) pick, trying to see how the Bills react.  Stone cold silence is the perfect tack for the Bills.

Eric Moulds is not damaged goods like Javon Walker.  He still can play, and these teams know it.  The Bills have three goals:

3) Free up cap space.

2 and 3 are a slam dunk.  The Bills must stand firm on #1.  Moulds is worth far more than a #4.  Considering Peerless Price fetched a #1, Moulds is worth at least that!  I think the Bills ought to get a #1, or a lower pick with a prime player, for Moulds.

But to get that, the Bills will have to play hard-to-get, so don't expect a quick deal unless one team caves early to beat they others out.  So expect plenty of crying and name calling here at the Stadium Wall while the Moulds deal drags on.

PTR

643415[/snapback]

My only concern is that reportedly it was the Bills who were asking for a 4th rounder.

PTR, very nicely posted...with facts no less...how unique to this board!

That being said, I have said it before on this board and I will say it again...I think a 3rd round pick is in order. And I base this on two other facts: age (Moulds will be 33 in the middle of next season) and attitude (crying like a little baby against your biggest rival - Miami).

The other bonus to unloading him, which everyone is excited about from a Bills fan perspective, is getting rid of that big salary!

My only concern is that reportedly it was the Bills who were asking for a 4th rounder.

643435[/snapback]

I heard the same. While I would love to get a #1 for Mioulds I do not think that is realistic. I don't have time to look up past trades but I suspect that a #1 for a WR is probably rare. I think a 3rd would be more likely the norm for someone of Moulds ability and age.

PTR, very nicely posted...with facts no less...how unique to this board!

That being said, I have said it before on this board and I will say it again...I think a 3rd round pick is in order.  And I base this on two other facts: age (Moulds will be 33 in the middle of next season) and attitude (crying like a little baby against your biggest rival - Miami).

The other bonus to unloading him, which everyone is excited about from a Bills fan perspective, is getting rid of that big salary!

643441[/snapback]

I agree a third would be nice, but Moulds is really worth much more. To me the benchmark was set by Henry and Price. If they can fetch a #3 and #1 respectively, why can't Moulds get a #1? Wasn't he a better WR than Price at the time of that trade? I would be disappointed with anything less than a #2, unless someone offers a good player that fills our need.

PTR

643435[/snapback]

Could that be a ploy by Marv to get teams interested in taking a shot at EM? Once he has a few "fish" interested, he can play one against the other.

I heard the same. While I would love to get a #1 for Mioulds I do not think that is realistic. I don't have time to look up past trades but I suspect that a #1 for a WR is probably rare. I think a 3rd would be more likely the norm for someone of Moulds ability and age.

643442[/snapback]

Peerless Price fetched Atlanta's #1 pick. Who's a better WR, even at age 33? Don't forget there are at least 4 teams with serious interest in Moulds. The Bills have the luxury of waiting them out. That will only drive up the price.

PTR

Could that be a ploy by Marv to get teams interested in taking a shot at EM?  Once he has a few "fish" interested, he can play one against the other.

643448[/snapback]

You said "fish"...

I like the Green Bay ideas.

PTR

643415[/snapback]

That's where I think your big mistake is. The Bills will cut Moulds because they don't want to pay him $7 million. Otherwise, they would have no leverage to get him to take a pay cut. And if they wanted to keep him at that salary, then they wouldn't allow him to shop himself.

Price, when he was traded was 94-1252-9 and 26 years old.

Moulds last year was 81-816-4 and 32 years old. Their values are not comparable.

If you want to use an example like Travis Henry, I could throw back an example like Marshall Faulk. Entering his prime, the HOF running back got a 2nd and a 5th.

Over the hill WRs values who will be cut by their teams should not be overstated.

I agree a third would be nice, but Moulds is really worth much more.  To me the benchmark was set by Henry and Price.  If they can fetch a #3 and #1 respectively, why can't Moulds get a #1?  Wasn't he a better WR than Price at the time of that trade?  I would be disappointed with anything less than a #2, unless someone offers a good player that fills our need.

PTR

643447[/snapback]

Two other facts in regard to the Price argument: (1) Price was much younger and in the "upside" of his career; (2) Donahoe fleeced Atlanta on that one (and everyone knows it!).

One other fact in regard to the Henry argument: (1) Tenny had an injury-plagued running back (Chris Brown) and an NFL Europe running back (Jarret Payton) on its roster. It needed a workhorse badly and probably overpaid (slightly) the Bills with a 3rd rounder.

What?  Giving up Moulds for Walker and a bunch of OUR picks???  Marv would have to be senile to go for that!

PTR

643457[/snapback]

No, not the full monte by any stretch. But a modification to it. As you said, Poker. There's still a lot of time to play. I'm not adverse to trading ONE lower pick, plus Eric. Both teams will look at what is best for them, and each other.

No, not the full monte by any stretch. But a modification to it. As you said, Poker. There's still a lot of time to play. I'm not adverse to trading ONE lower pick, plus Eric. Both teams will look at what is best for them, and each other.

643464[/snapback]

If GB was offering some decent O or D-liner, I'd consider it. Definitely NOT for Javon Walker. He is coming off ACL sugery, not to mention he has an attitude Levy would not find appealing.

PTR

Who reported that?  One of the other teams?  If that were true, a deal would be done already.

PTR

643439[/snapback]

It was out of the Houston paper, which stated that the Bills "reportedly" were seeking a 4th rounder. As you say, maybe wishful thinking on the part of the Houston writers.

Whether it's Modrak, Levy, or whoever, I think we will see who can win a staredown.  Let's review the situation:

2) Philly and Houston have floated the idea of a 4th rounder or lower for Moulds.  Green Bay allegedly will "let us have" Walker for Moulds if we throw in some extra picks! (LOL!!!)

It's obvious to me that teams are doing some negotiating through the press, talking about offering a second day (4th or lower) pick, trying to see how the Bills react.  Stone cold silence is the perfect tack for the Bills.

Eric Moulds is not damaged goods like Javon Walker.  He still can play, and these teams know it.  The Bills have three goals:

3) Free up cap space.

2 and 3 are a slam dunk.  The Bills must stand firm on #1.  Moulds is worth far more than a #4.  Considering Peerless Price fetched a #1, Moulds is worth at least that!  I think the Bills ought to get a #1, or a lower pick with a prime player, for Moulds.

But to get that, the Bills will have to play hard-to-get, so don't expect a quick deal unless one team caves early to beat they others out.  So expect plenty of crying and name calling here at the Stadium Wall while the Moulds deal drags on.

PTR

643415[/snapback]

Sure, a declining old malcontent is worh at least a number one. What is he worth, 2 first rounders?

Why not post something worthy of discussion rather than sensationalized nonsense for the sake of effect?

I would think that Marv is holding out for something better than a 4th or he would have cut Moulds by now.

One of the other things about having Moulds shop himself is that he may find out that no one is willing to pay more than he stands to collect from the Bills.

I also would rather see a player traded to us for Moulds rather than a second day pick. Moulds for Walker straight up from GB, or Moulds for a OL or DL from someone else.

Two other facts in regard to the Price argument: (1) Price was much younger and in the "upside" of his career; (2) Donahoe fleeced Atlanta on that one (and everyone knows it!).

One other fact in regard to the Henry argument: (1) Tenny had an injury-plagued running back (Chris Brown) and an NFL Europe running back (Jarret Payton) on its roster.  It needed a workhorse badly and probably overpaid (slightly) the Bills with a 3rd rounder.

643463[/snapback]

Another point which influenced the PP market was that AT owner had stupidly shot off his mouth an publicly promised to go out and get a top flight WR that Michael Vick deserved.

Sincee PP was by far the most desirable WR in FA, wanted to go to AT near his childhood home and no other top flight WRs were even on the market in essence Blank would have been viewed by fans (and even worse potentially by Vick) of not living up to his word as an owner to spend what was necessary to bring a winner to AT.

This may fly if you are a felon like John Rigas to make such pledges, but in essence Blank set the market on this one and TD skewered him by tagging PP.

Why not post something worthy of discussion rather than sensationalized nonsense for the sake of effect?

643485[/snapback]

That would take the thrill out of refreashing his initial post and saying "Oh yeah, look at me, I got 20+ replys on this!!!!" 0:):P