Melvin Fowler

As a recent Maryland grad who has watched virtually every Terps game over the last 7 years, I posted a glowing assessment of Vernon Davis recently. I'd like to also throw in my 2 cents on Melvin Fowler, although I admit to having little to no exposure to him since he got to the NFL.

Positives: Seen as a true leader of the offense throughout his Maryland career. Was a starter from very early on. Good character guy by all accounts. Moves very well for a lineman, which worked well with the Terps scheme. They would have him pull frequently on misdirection plays and option plays. Seen as the Terps best lineman while he was there.

Negatives: Always seemed to me to be a bit small, and does not have an overpowering-type game. I understand he put on about 20 lbs since leaving Maryland, so he may have improved in this regard. Obviously hasn't distinguished himself so far in the NFL as an entrenched starter.

In my view, given his contract size, he is our new starting center (barring something unforeseen). I'm excited to have him, not only because I was a fan when he was in college, but also because I believe he will be an upgrade over Teague and perhaps allow Preston to slide to guard permanently.

Great post Freddy, thanks for the info. I too like this signing, it gives us flexibility and options in the middle of the line.

638732[/snapback]

Honestly, I think Bills fans would be saying the same thing if we had just signed Trey Teauge, from another team....I was thinking Freddy's assesment sounded like he was talking about Teauge...it seems to me like we are just shuffling out the old, and getting the same, with different names....

FWIW. I watched him play in some of the Vikes games last year (I live in MN), and he didn't dominate and didn't stink. He was just there. However, MN's line was pretty poor as well in the middle (hence Hutch signing) so I think it is tough to judge him when he was surronded by poorness. Another wait till the season starts signing by Marv. Let's hope for the best.

Honestly, I think Bills fans would be saying the same thing if we had just signed Trey Teauge, from another team....I was thinking Freddy's assesment sounded like he was talking about Teauge...it seems to me like we are just shuffling out the old, and getting the same, with different names....

638758[/snapback]

The big difference between Fowler and Teague is that Fowler actually played center his whole career. Teague had to relearn the position as he hadn't played there since college.

638758[/snapback]

We signed Trey Teague to play LT, since he wasn't that good we paid him second tier money. But he was moved to OC, he then became not only inadequate but overpaided.

As I said earlier, I like this signing. He could start if he puts his mind into it, or he can be a hell of a back to Preston. If he starts, Preston becomes his back-up or play OG beside him.

The guy is not a high profile FA but IMO this signing gives us flexibility and options for the middle of the line.

It seems that Marv is going for the potential players route in building this team during the offseason. The recent signings are guys who can have the potential to shine under Coach Dick (hee hee) or the potential to be big-time busts. Only time will tell I guess.

It seems that Marv is going for the potential players route in building this team during the offseason.  The recent signings are guys who can have the potential to shine under Coach Dick (hee hee) or the potential to be big-time busts.  Only time will tell I guess.

638825[/snapback]

The key phrase is building this team!! He is not over spending for quick fixes, but is building the team. Unfortunately that translates to a dismal season next year, but does give us some hope for the future.

The key phrase is building this team!!  He is not over spending for quick fixes, but is building the team.  Unfortunately that translates to a dismal season next year, but does give us some hope for the future.

638829[/snapback]

Well said. But keep in mind that 75% of Bills Nation are more than tired of rebuilding years. They would be happy being cannon fodder as a low seed playoff team with no real chance for the Super Bowl. They would consider that progress.

638758[/snapback]

Except Fowler is a natural C, while Teague was a square peg (OT) forced into a round hole. If I'm recalling that incorrectly, please let me know.

Well said.  But keep in mind that 75% of Bills Nation are more than tired of rebuilding years.  They would be happy being cannon fodder as a low seed playoff team with no real chance for the Super Bowl. They would consider that progress.

638835[/snapback]

Believe me...I am in that 75%, but I am just stating the facts. Every year it seems its becoming a more difficult decision whether to renew my season tickets, but in the end I always do. I am willing to be somewhat patient with Marv, we can only hope his approach pays dividends. If not....well I'll just leave it at that and BILLIEVE.....

Believe me...I am in that 75%, but I am just stating the facts.  Every year it seems its becoming a more difficult decision whether to renew my season tickets, but in the end I always do.  I am willing to be somewhat patient with Marv, we can only hope his approach pays dividends.  If not....well I'll just leave it at that and BILLIEVE.....

638845[/snapback]

You don't know how envious I am that you can go see Bills games all season...

But you are exactly correct in your assessment. This team can turn it around. The talent is there.

We signed Trey Teague to play LT, since he wasn't that good we paid him second tier money. But he was moved to OC, he then became not only inadequate but overpaided.

As I said earlier, I like this signing. He could start if he puts his mind into it, or he can be a hell of a back to Preston. If he starts, Preston becomes his back-up or play OG beside him.

The guy is not a high profile FA but IMO this signing gives us flexibility and options for the middle of the line.

638814[/snapback]

Oh, sorry....I wasn't knocking Fowler. I am sure he will be decent. My point was that it just seemed like we are not actively seeking OL men who have really established themselves. Personally, I would just assume keep Teauge as a back-up tackle, than just let him go. I think when it comes to OL, experience is important. Teauge may not be stellar, but he had stretches of playing well. It seems like a lot of guys were mis-cast by the previous administration of the Bills. Say, four months from now, if Teauge signs with someone for nothing, that team will feel like they are getting a bargain...just as we would if we signed someone similar.

I admit to knowing practically nothing about the guy, but it seems like a fairly solid signing. The guy has plenty of experience at center, and he's started quite a few games. Plus, he's fairly young, so he'll have room to grow into the position.

I certainly would have preferred a name like Bentley, Mawae, or Flanigan, but Fowler sounds like a good player with many years ahead of him.

Bills | Ruegamer drawing interest; no visit planned

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:45:13 -0800

PackersNews.com reports free agent OL Grey Ruegamer (Packers) said he has drawn some interest from the Buffalo Bills, but no visit has been scheduled. The signing of OL Melvin Fowler by the Bills may end that interest.

Oh, sorry....I wasn't knocking Fowler.  I am sure he will be decent.  My point was that it just seemed like we are not actively seeking OL men who have really established themselves.  Personally, I would just assume keep Teauge as a back-up tackle, than just let him go.  I think when it comes to OL, experience is important.  Teauge may not be stellar, but he had stretches of playing well. It seems like a lot of guys were mis-cast by the previous administration of the Bills. Say, four months from now, if Teauge signs with someone for nothing, that team will feel like they are getting a bargain...just as we would if we signed someone similar.

638874[/snapback]

True, but it's a fine line knowing when it's best to clean house and start over with a new crop of similarly talented Joes and nursing along employees that have the baggage associated with the Downer Donahoe years. There were plenty of guys that TD could have kept in the first three years he was here, yet he tossed them away like an old pair of shoes.

I don't think Marv's doing anything exceptional here (meaning the process), but this team has a skanky roster and it's going to take awhile to overhaul it. Maybe that's the biggest thing he's going to change - the atmosphere at OBD. Let's face it, Donahoe turned The Bills into a losing organization. There's been a lot of damage done and only a few narrow alley ways to find a way out of the trash heap we found ourselves in at the end of last season.