Levy on the verge of destroying his legacy.

The Bills failures in 2003 had nothing to do with the defense, where all the big moves were made.  The D played excellent football.  However, the offseason wasn't great because Donahoe destroyed the offense.  The Bills lost Peerless Price, Jay Riemersma and Larry Centers, 3 of the top 4 receiving threats on a pass driven offense.  It would have helped if Reed hadn't turned to dogschitt over night and Moulds hadn't gotten hurt, but letting those guys go and bringing in f'ing Bobby Shaw and Mark Campbell.....please.  But hey, we got Willis McGahee out of that Price trade, so it was a good offseason, right? :devil:

634619[/snapback]

I agree with this, badol. The D was very good after that offseason, and we've sucked for years due to defensive failures. Can't argue with facts. But I'm addressing the team as a whole instead of bisecting it. The point is the Bills went nuts in FA and it wasn't enough. It wasn't enough because Donahoe didn't know how to build a team. Good GMs can do it in 2-3 years. He couldn't do it in 5. I used to be on his side, through 3 years of it, but he wrote his own legacy.

My other point is simply that Levy is just getting started. I say this despite the fact that I wasn't thrilled with his hiring. It seemed sad and pathetic to me. But I like what he's done so far. I don't care about the fact that we haven't brought in any big names. Free agency is still young and there's a lot of team engineering left, cuts to be made across the league, etc.

I'd rather give Marv the benefit of my considerable doubt than whine and cry in week 2 of FA just because we didn't pull off some miracle signings...remember, you armchair GMs out there...players also have to WANT TO SIGN WITH BUFFALO. You have no idea who they contacted and who expressed no interest in joining the team. It's not in Buffalo's interest to publicize which players gave them the cold shoulder, is it?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. Marv is here and we are not. Why? Because he's Ralphs friend. Not any football related reason. Good thing Ralph's hairdresser didn;t have his ear.

As far TD? You just showed you have no idea what your talking about. Tom D came to the Bills in a time where they were 20 million over the cap, the two best players were UFA's and they had two crap QB's making over 10 million. But I guess you forgot all that.

What else did he do?

He turned Peerless Price (who played himself out of the NFL) who was an UFA into a first round pick which they used for Willis.

Sighed Spikes, Adams and Mallory. All of which made Bills fans wet themselves.

Brought in Bledsoe when they had nothing at QB at the time.

Drafted Evans, McGee and Schobel (46 sacks in 80 games).

I suggest many of you spend sometme and look over the history. :devil:

634721[/snapback]

Mr. Donahoe, i thought you had better things to do with your time then try to flame your former employers on a bills message board.

Free Agency was his chance. And apparently he can't get up from his mid-afternoon nap to participate. Maybe after 'Matlock' is over.

634373[/snapback]

Really?? Because he hasn't signed anyone that you've heard of before???When the fug did you ever run a pro football front office???! Get a grip, down some retatta, and give the man a chance to fail before you deem him a failure. The "ICE" mentality on this board these days is fugging unbelievable. :devil: Waaaaaaaaaay too many 13 year olds posting before learning how to develop a cognitive thought. Oops, am I guilty of reverse ageism? ;)

Sure.  It's always too early to show common sense on this board.  Marv Van Winkle and Ralph are out of touch with a sporting man's game.  This is a game of youth, power and intensity.  These fosils are kidding themselves and us they are up for the task.

634657[/snapback]

Oh schittt that is an instant classic! Way too early..........for common sense. You have angered the sheep. Stampede! :devil:

What Marv does (or dosen't) do as a GM should count towards his legacy. The early signs are that Marv is way over head in this.

He has yet to sign one player that makes this team better then they were last season. Then again, if you were a Free Agent why would you come pay for the Levy led Bills? The only players signed are those just happy to have a job.

This team was said to have Cap room. Then the Cap was increased. It appears that Marv is either unwilling (more likely unable) to do anything with it.

The saddest thing? Is that in a year and half or two years when Levy gets fired or forced to step down? We will then have a 93 year old clueless owner out there trying to hire another GM.

I hope Golisano plans on buying the Bills. Looking at what he has done with the Sabres? I think he can save this once proud franchise and save it from this downward spiral.  :devil:

634343[/snapback]

Get a grip. It's a football team, not the Presidency.

Really?? Because he hasn't signed anyone that you've heard of before???When the fug did you ever run a pro football front office???! Get a grip, down some retatta, and give the man a chance to fail before you deem him a failure. The "ICE" mentality on this board these days is fugging unbelievable.  :devil:  Waaaaaaaaaay too many 13 year olds posting before learning how to develop a cognitive thought. Oops, am I guilty of reverse ageism?  ;)

634762[/snapback]

Agreed, way to early for common sense. It's best to be horrified and disillusioned when Donald Royal and company don't stack up on Sundays, rather than realize they never did and expect more in the first place.

I agree with this, badol. The D was very good after that offseason, and we've sucked for years due to defensive failures. Can't argue with facts. But I'm addressing the team as a whole instead of bisecting it. The point is the Bills went nuts in FA and it wasn't enough. It wasn't enough because Donahoe didn't know how to build a team. Good GMs can do it in 2-3 years. He couldn't do it in 5. I used to be on his side, through 3 years of it, but he wrote his own legacy.

My other point is simply that Levy is just getting started. I say this despite the fact that I wasn't thrilled with his hiring. It seemed sad and pathetic to me. But I like what he's done so far. I don't care about the fact that we haven't brought in any big names. Free agency is still young and there's a lot of team engineering left, cuts to be made across the league, etc.

I'd rather give Marv the benefit of my considerable doubt than whine and cry in week 2 of FA just because we didn't pull off some miracle signings...remember, you armchair GMs out there...players also have to WANT TO SIGN WITH BUFFALO. You have no idea who they contacted and who expressed no interest in joining the team. It's not in Buffalo's interest to publicize which players gave them the cold shoulder, is it?

634732[/snapback]

I agree that Donahoe didn't know how to build a team. As for acquiring good players, that's Marv's job. If he can't get it done, he deserves to be criticized. And please don't start with the "miracle signings" stuff. Bentley and Hutchinson signed with Cleveland and Minnesota for chrissake. Two losing teams in cold climates.

After TWELVE years of terrible offensive line play, it was time that they made a bold move for the OL for the sake of all that they have invested at the playmaking positions. Without a greatly improved OL, that talent will be wasted.

Can they build a good OL out of guys like Duke Preston, Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson? Common sense says no. We've been down this road before. TWELVE TIMES, as a matter of fact. The Bills have been dicking around with free agent castoffs on the OL for years, it was high time they actually got ONE OL of quality in FA. Even if it meant vastly overpaying. $8M for Bentley? Show him the f'ing money instead of splitting it up between Robert Royal, Larry Triplett and Andre Davis. Sometimes you gotta' say Whatthe!@#$! :devil:

You are right. Marv is here and we are not. Why? Because he's Ralphs friend. Not any football related reason. Good thing Ralph's hairdresser didn;t have his ear.

As far TD? You just showed you have no idea what your talking about. Tom D came to the Bills in a time where they were 20 million over the cap, the two best players were UFA's and they had two crap QB's making over 10 million. But I guess you forgot all that.

What else did he do?

He turned Peerless Price (who played himself out of the NFL) who was an UFA into a first round pick which they used for Willis.

Sighed Spikes, Adams and Mallory. All of which made Bills fans wet themselves.

Brought in Bledsoe when they had nothing at QB at the time.

Drafted Evans, McGee and Schobel (46 sacks in 80 games).

I suggest many of you spend sometme and look over the history. :lol:

Last time i checked the only thing that matters in football is results so lets break the TD era down for you:

-Peerless' play on the field turned him into a first round pick that TD traded for willis even though we had an RB who was giving us the same production willis is giving us now. WM may turn out to be better than TH, but please tell how he's been better thus far in a Bills uni? Well i guess he THINKS he's the best RB in the game, though travis went out with a fractured leg and let his game do the talking. WM may turn into a top 5 RB but he sure as hell isn't right now and much of that is due to the brilliant "offensive line" that TD assembled.

-Spikes was a good signing, and Adams was good until he couldn't keep his mouth shut. I don't remember a signing of Mallory (maybe a new Jill?) but Milloy was part of the TD spin machine that made fans believers only to have the rug pulled out after he was played for a fool by the front office of the Patsies for what turned out to be the second time. Good job TD.

-2 crap QBs? Sure they may not have been great but they produced the same amount of playoff appearances as that shot of life Drew Bledsoe, and in less time, and that's zero. And we didn't even have to give up a first round pick to a division rival to get either of them. Bottom line for Drew: 23-25 no playoff appearances, an embarassing burger king commercial, and TD once again getting B word slapped by the patsies front office. The deal that got NE the 1st round pick for Drew was infinitely better than the move TD made for Peerless.

-Evans has not shown much yet. He was riding Moulds' double teamed coat tails much like Peerless, so saying that was a brilliant draft pick is idiotic because we have no idea what Evans will do in this league. He most definitely isn't a prototypical WR. McGee is and up and comer, but is still an unknown commodity, but I really like him as a player. Schobel has been solid but he is not a game changing DE, but his stats are solid. Good draft picks, also gotta give props for Mike Williams though and Roscoe.

So what does all of this equal??? How about 2 head coaches in 5 years, when Marvin Lewis, Charlie Weis, John Fox, and Jack Del Rio, were all overlooked by the much too smart for the common fan Tom Donahoe, in favor of the terrific Mike Mularkey and Gregggggg Williams. And an overall record of 31-49...wait i almost forgot to add in those playoff games to that overall record so lets see...the Bills were 31-49 under the guidance of the Son of Satan (you probably don't get that reference as you've been here for what 15 posts and already spouting off and making no sense).

So yeah if the measure of greatness of a GM is talking up and spinning his "product" with no results then TD was a master. I would much rather have a GM like Marv who's just out there signing players and adding depth and not bringing in washed up Patriots so we can get our ass kicked by them twice a year, than a GM who thought he was smarter than everyone else and a master of spinning questionable moves in a favorable light. Just remember that Marv hasn't even been at the helm for a season and he's matched TD's era for playoff appearances and division titles. I suggest you look at history before posting.

Oh and i forgot to add. You don't think that 4 consecutive SB berths are a good enough football reason to bring Marv in? He had to manage the Bickering Bills, and he also knows that they were as good as they were not only because of the skill positions (those are positions that supplied TD with an instant boner) but because the Bills of the early 90s had a dominant o-line. Gotta love the good ol boy system.

Oh schittt that is an instant classic!  Way too early..........for common sense.  You have angered the sheep.  Stampede! :lol:

634788[/snapback]

Oh look, how cute. Maybe you 2 can hold hands when you jump off the bridge.

Oh look, how cute. Maybe you 2 can hold hands when you jump off the bridge.

635206[/snapback]

If denial makes you feel better, you have issues to discuss with a therapist. The same goes for your incessant suicide rants. It's a GAME, enjoy it. Suicide shouldn't be in this picture. I'm just here, having fun, calling it like I see it. I wish the state of the team was better, but there is ALWAYS an upside.

If denial makes you feel better, you have issues to discuss with a therapist.  The same goes for your incessant suicide rants.  It's a GAME, enjoy it.  Suicide shouldn't be in this picture.  I'm just here, having fun, calling it like I see it.  I wish the state of the team was better, but there is ALWAYS an upside.

635311[/snapback]

MY incessant suicide rants? ME? I'm the one willing to give this team and Marv a chance before i make any conclusions. I'm willing to give JP more than 8 games before declaring him a hero/bust. I'm the one who will be watching them come spetember, not whining that we didnt spend 85 million on 2 o-linemen.

On the other hand, heres your typical post from the past week:

BADOLBILZ: "Waaaaaaah! We didnt sign hutch! Waaaaah! I need my diaper changed. Waaaahhh! Marv sucks. Waaaaah! I want my binky. Waaaaah

MY incessant suicide rants? ME? I'm the one willing to give this team and Marv a chance before i make any conclusions. I'm willing to give JP more than 8 games before declaring him a hero/bust. I'm the one who will be watching them come spetember, not whining that we didnt spend 85 million on 2 o-linemen.

On the other hand, heres your typical post from the past week:

BADOLBILZ: "Waaaaaaah! We didnt sign hutch! Waaaaah! I need my diaper changed. Waaaahhh! Marv sucks. Waaaaah! I want my binky. Waaaaah

635414[/snapback]

Pull yourself together, you're embarrassing yourself with your ill tempered exxagerated rants(Yes, YOU). Seriously, read what you wrote again and tell me that somehow makes sense. Just relax and next time you find it necessary to respond to something I write, be realistic.

Pull yourself together, you're embarrassing yourself with your ill tempered exxagerated rants(Yes, YOU). Seriously, read what you wrote again and tell me that somehow makes sense.  Just relax and next time you find it necessary to respond to something I write, be realistic.

635492[/snapback]

Perhaps your reading comprension isnt up to the 4th grade level that your little marv sucks temper tantrums are. I have been saying, not ranting, all along, give marv a chance, lets see whats going to turn out. You are the crazy one complaining that Marv sucks after 1 week of free agency because we havent signed big names.

*I* have sai dthat i'll take a wait and see approach., while you have already declared marv a bust who sucks as a GM. That was the point of my post. You are a doom and gloomer. Perhaps you should try reading some of your own posts for a change.

If denial makes you feel better, you have issues to discuss with a therapist.  The same goes for your incessant suicide rants.  It's a GAME, enjoy it.  Suicide shouldn't be in this picture.  I'm just here, having fun, calling it like I see it.  I wish the state of the team was better, but there is ALWAYS an upside.

635311[/snapback]

the way you see it ?? you must be on crack or some other sh-- .

Levy on the verge of destroying his legacy

634343[/snapback]

I don't think Marv cares right now, he's too busy signing more free agents & getting ready for the draft. :lol:

4 picks in the top 73 & #8 overall..... some good talent is on the way! :doh: