KFFL UPDATE

Saints | Team won't tag Bentley

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:00:17 -0800

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints are not planning to place a franchise or transition tag on free agent OC LeCharles Bentley. He almost certainly will find a new home when the NFL's free agency period begins March 3. "I'm not ruling out the idea of coming back," Bentley said. "But with that being said, New Orleans has had ample opportunity to put their bid on the table. And once the other bids start coming in, I have to make the best decision I can." He was disappointed that the team did not sign him to a long-term contract extension sooner. Bentley, who is now represented by Neil Schwartz, is expected to seek a contract similar to what the Carolina Panthers gave guard Mike Wahle last year, reportedly a five-year deal worth up to $28 million with $11.5 million in bonuses. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis also did not rule out the possibility that the Saints could re-sign Bentley, but they have allowed themselves the possibility to be outbid for his services.

It'll probably be a bidding war for Bentley, but better then giving up a pick. git er done marv.

I think it really comes down to how the Bills feel about Preston. If they're the least bit wary, then going after Bentley makes a lot of sense. Teague's days are certainly numbered; when you hear your OC talking about physical presence across the middle and athleticism on the ends, Teague at C doesn't fit that mold.

A great C can be the glue that holds a line together for years; for further clarification see: Kent Hull.

I think his asking price is high, someone will pay him, but I feel that's too much money for a Center.

If those numbers can be adjusted down some I'd bite.

Still have to find the cash

609271[/snapback]

Wahle was signed to that contract to play Tackle....Eventually though I thinkj

he ended up playing Guard....Paying 28M for a guard is a lot...May be we can

sign Pete Kendall.

We need Bentley. We really, really, really do. If we have another crappy season, please God, don't let it be because of the offensive line, again. Let it be the defense, let it be the receivers dropping passes, something, anything, just not the line again.

Wahle was signed to that contract to play Tackle....Eventually though I thinkj

sign Pete Kendall.

609333[/snapback]

actually, that was just media speculation -- from day one the panthers said wahle would remain at guard......

Mike Triplett, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints are not planning to place a franchise or transition tag on free agent OC LeCharles Bentley. He almost certainly will find a new home when the NFL's free agency period begins March 3. "I'm not ruling out the idea of coming back," Bentley said. "But with that being said, New Orleans has had ample opportunity to put their bid on the table. And once the other bids start coming in, I have to make the best decision I can." He was disappointed that the team did not sign him to a long-term contract extension sooner. Bentley, who is now represented by Neil Schwartz, is expected to seek a contract similar to what the Carolina Panthers gave guard Mike Wahle last year, reportedly a five-year deal worth up to $28 million with $11.5 million in bonuses. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis also did not rule out the possibility that the Saints could re-sign Bentley, but they have allowed themselves the possibility to be outbid for his services.

It'll probably be a bidding war for Bentley, but better then giving up a pick. git er done marv.

609246[/snapback]

I'm still sticking to my original thought. Nick Mangold center from the National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes in the second round. If the price is more than 5 million per year for Bentley, I'm not sure it's worth it in the long run.

609246[/snapback]

Stupid question of the day - do bonuses count towards the cap ? Else, $16.5 million/5 years amounts to $3.3 million/year and if our cap space with some cuts is in the $11-$12 million range, his price is affordable.

Wahle was signed to that contract to play Tackle....Eventually though I think

sign Pete Kendall.

609333[/snapback]

I'm almost positive that Wahle was a G at GB and was never signed to play T.

I haven't seen evidence that Preston can't do the job at OC. Ralph won't be paying $6M per year for a center. Would he?

609414[/snapback]

I haven't seen any evidence that he can. As bad as the OL was last year, he didn't get much action at all, especially at C... plus he's a day-2 pick, got a LOT to prove before I'm sold on him as a starter.

I would try for Bentley first, then Hartings once the Steelers let him go... or get Mangold in the 2nd if there.

Oh the cash is there.  They just have to clear it.

Again I laid-out a plan in the "These players must be released" thread.

609274[/snapback]

That thread is 4 pages long so you'll have to pardon me on that one. I also have to admit after 5 or so consecutive years of being an internet Bills fan I've grown mighty tired of many of the offseason plans people come up with, as well as the much of the pre-draft who-haa. So reading that thread will probably prove to be a painful experience.

But I'm interested in hearing your plan. We defintely need to get one HIGH QUALITY FA OL in here. We need someone like Bentley, the QB of our OL, our Kent Hull of 2006. Clements still puts the kink in all our offseason plans, but I'm sure thats included in your plan.

I would have to say we will know how much of player we will be in FA as soon as we see who and how many Bills get the ax, and seeing how there might be a flood of FA talent this year this might be the time to redesign a solid chunk of our lineup.

Stupid question of the day - do bonuses count towards the cap ? Else, $16.5 million/5 years amounts to $3.3 million/year and if our cap space with some cuts is in the $11-$12 million range, his price is affordable.

609426[/snapback]

Yes, they do, but as you said the cost is divided per year of the contract. So the player gets the money up front, but only a fraction of it counts against the cap each year.

Unless the player is released, at which point all remaining yearly cap bonuses are lumped together to count against the cap the year he is released (or is it spread out over two years?). Either way, this is all going to pot because of the uncapped year in 2007.

Yes, they do, but as you said the cost is divided per year of the contract. So the player gets the money up front, but only a fraction of it counts against the cap each year.

Unless the player is released, at which point all remaining yearly cap bonuses are lumped together to count against the cap the year he is released (or is it spread out over two years?). Either way, this is all going to pot because of the uncapped year in 2007.

609478[/snapback]

That's the problem facing the B'gals with Palmer. If he never plays again, he gets 24 million hard cash regardless, and they get assesed 15 millon+ against the cap. IIRC, it can be spread out over a couple of years. A downside of drafting a qb #1 at today's rates - a mortal wounding if they can't play.

I saw something in the local press about the Palmer hit, a while back - some sort of condideration of rule changes addressing a low hit on an unprotected qb. NE's Seymour got a good whack on the same knee in '04 and possibly cost the B'gals a playoff spot. The NFL is certainly not pleased about a marquee player (i.e, the ability to increase tv viewership and therefore increase advert rates) not suiting up.

The biggest problem on the O-Line IMHO, is that since Ruben Brown left, there's been no halfway decent player that's also a leader ala Kent Hull. I know Teague being the most "senior" was the de facto guy. But, really no one who could whip these guys into a frenzy.

I think Villarial, if he's healthy will step up, but we need someone with some experience and success to come in and act as the "glue." I see no one on our present roster capable on being "the man."

Same thing with D-Line. Adams is no leader by example. Schoebel maybe. But, again no leader.

I think as soon as we address the leadership factor, things will fall into place.

So eventhough Ruben was a sure bet for holding every other play, his locker room influence is sorely missed.

BTW, Chris Hovan I think would be a nice addition to our D line rotation.

Charles