BEST METAL VOCALIST OF ALL TIME

bbh10128

... WHO IS BEST HEAVY METAL VOCALIST EVER?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. ... WHO IS BEST HEAVY METAL VOCALIST EVER?

• RONNIE JAMES DIO
    • UDO DIRKSCHNEIDER
    • OZZIE OSBOURNE
    • AXEL ROSE
    • STEVEN TYLER
    • DAVID LEE ROTH
    • ROB HALFORD
    • BON SCOTT
    • ROBERT PLANT
    • JOE ELLIOTT
    • DAVID COVERDALE
    • OTHER (SPECIFY)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Sheehan... :doh:

Speaking of Talas... I can remember when they did a gig at my Jr. high... Yes, Jr. freakin high... :P  :doh:

606541[/snapback]

I got you beat - Talas played my ELEMENTARY school! They were using our school to practice for a show they were playing for the high school across the street (Buffalo Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts). As a thank you to our school they played a small show for us - damn that was loud.

On the list I'd have to go with Dio - best metal voice of all time. Both with Sabbath and solo, RJD brought the vocals every single time (huge voice for a little guy).

Off the list I'd have to say Bruce Dickinson (there's a reason he was nicknamed "the air raid siren").

I'm also a fan of lead singers who took their craft seriously and did vocal training like other singers (shocking concept):

-Geoff Tate of Queensryche - listen to stuff from the early days like Lady Wore Black and you can feel the power Tate has (can't wait for the sequel to Mindcrime due out in March - Dio actually sings on the record - he is Dr. X!).

-Chris Cornell - Yeah, you can argue about whether he's metal, but the guy has huge pipes. Older stuff from his Sub-Pop days and Badmotorfinger really show how he can sing.

-Warrel Dane, lead singer of a band called Sanctuary. Trained with the same vocal coach as Geoff Tate, and he had an amazing voice.

Sorry, wasn't aware they didn't rock anymore. They were fuggin awesome when I saw em last year...

606569[/snapback]

Vapor Trails, in terms of the writing, is by far, the best Rush album since Moving Pictures!

It's just too bad it sounds like mud...

I don't put Geddy in the Metal category. Geddy's voice has matured like a fine wine, but even as I am a very big Rush fan, I don't consider his vocal ability even in the top 10.

Bruce Dickinson HAS to be on this List!

Halford was great too...

Lizzy Bordon is awesome...

But for Metel...I'll go with Geoff Tate...I think the Vocals on "Queen Of The Ryche" are the All Time best in a Metal Song...Followed closely by Lizzy on "The Rod Of Iron."

:P

Sorry, wasn't aware they didn't rock anymore. They were fuggin awesome when I saw em last year...

606569[/snapback]

Their 1st 3 albums rocked. 2112 wasn't too bad either. But A Farewell to Kings was the beginning of the end. They went from power trio to prog rock: Geddy stopped wailing, synths started taking over, and Peart's lyrics got even funnier. Moving Pictures was the last hurrah... too bad. :P

maynard james keenan

606491[/snapback]

From an interview with MTV's Kurt Loder:

Loder: Are you a political person?

Keenan: I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before.

I think people in general have neglected to learn about history. But then it hasn't really been a focus of our government to make us an educated people. Just in general, any government throughout history hasn't really wanted its people to be educated, because then they couldn't control them as easily. If the education of our kids comes from radio, television, newspapers — if that's where they get most of their knowledge from, and not from the schools, then the powers that be are definitely in charge, because they own all those outlets.

Smart dude. Thanks for bringing his name in - he actually performs in the genre, unlike too many on the list.

From an interview with MTV's Kurt Loder:

Loder:  Are you a political person?

Keenan: I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before.

I think people in general have neglected to learn about history. But then it hasn't really been a focus of our government to make us an educated people. Just in general, any government throughout history hasn't really wanted its people to be educated, because then they couldn't control them as easily. If the education of our kids comes from radio, television, newspapers — if that's where they get most of their knowledge from, and not from the schools, then the powers that be are definitely in charge, because they own all those outlets.

Smart dude.  Thanks for bringing his name in - he actually performs in the genre, unlike too many on the list.

606605[/snapback]

Did you know Maynard went to West Point? In fact many Tool lyrics make direct references to West Point. "I will not lie, cheat or steal" for example is a code at the school and can be heard on Undertow

Did you know Maynard went to West Point?  In fact many Tool lyrics make direct references to West Point.  "I will not lie, cheat or steal" for example is a code at the school and can be heard on Undertow

606608[/snapback]

I knew he was in the Army, though not that he attended West Point.

I knew he was in the Army, though not that he attended West Point.

606609[/snapback]

very interesting sight-

http://toolshed.down.net/

check out the interpretations of Tools songs

Here is Tools reading list-

The following books have been listed as recommended reading in Tool's official newsletter over the past few years:

Behold the Protong! by Stanislav Szukaslsi

This artist/sculptor created and wrote more by age 30 than DaVinci did his whole life. Any collection of works you can find by this man is well worth the effort.

Love and Sleep and AEGYPT by John Crowley

John is a master of layering patterns and synchronicities. In these books he explores the possibilities of there being many histories to the world.

And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave

This is a twisted beautiful story of a mute, persecuted boy's view of the world outside a self-righteous religious community.

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

A macabre look at an adolescent's feeling that something is missing.

Squeak the Mouse by Massimo Mattioli

Sexual, homicidal rodents. Nothing more but certainly no less.

Nothing In This Book Is True ... by Bob Frissell

Sacred geometry and the evolution of human consciousness. I think this is a very important book in helping us understand our connection with the universe through mathematics.

Earth by David Brin

A frightening look at one possible future for man.

Art and Physics by Leonard Shlain

Diary Of A Genius by Salvador Dali

It's always interesting to slip into an overly creative person's thoughts

Interior Design with Feng Shui by Sarah Rossbach

Setting up your environment in order to take advantage of all available energies.

Archaic Revival by Terence McKenn

Enlightening perspectives on hallucinogens and culture.

The Dancing Wu Li Masters

The Mayan prophecies

The Legacy of the Beast ...

The Age Of Reason by Thomas Paine

Publisher: Promethus Books ISBN: 0879752734

Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baignet, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln

Publisher: Dell Publishing Co. ISBN: 0440136482

What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

Publisher: Grove Press ISBN: 080213031

Fourth Way by P. D. Ouspensky

Publisher: Random House ISBN: 0394716728

Four Treatises Of Theophratus Von Hohenheim Called Paracelus by Paracelus

Publisher: John Hopkins Univ. ISBN: 0801855233

The Origin Of Satan by Elaine Pagels

Publisher: Vintage Books ISBN: 0679731180

Dune by Frank Herbert

Publisher: Ace Books ISBN: 0441172717

One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Publisher: Knopf ISBN: 0679444653

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Publisher: Oxford Univ. Press ISBN: 0192823582

Black Spring by Henry Miller

Publisher: Grove Press ISBN: 0802131824

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Publisher: Random House ISBN: 0679735771

Hellboy: The Lost Army by Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics ISBN: 1569711852 (Also check out Hellboy on Dark Horse Comics)

High Priest by Timothy Leary

Publisher: Ronin Publishing ISBN: 1914171801

Sebastian Bach - Skid Row

There was also a band named "Kix" in the 80's that had a song called "Don't Close Your Eyes".....I don't know the lead singer's name, but I thought he had a killer voice.

very interesting sight-

check out the interpretations of Tools songs

Here is Tools reading list-

The following books have been listed as recommended reading in Tool's official newsletter over the past few years:

Behold the Protong! by Stanislav Szukaslsi

This artist/sculptor created and wrote more by age 30 than DaVinci did his whole life. Any collection of works you can find by this man is well worth the effort.

Love and Sleep and AEGYPT by John Crowley

John is a master of layering patterns and synchronicities. In these books he explores the possibilities of there being many histories to the world.

And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave

This is a twisted beautiful story of a mute, persecuted boy's view of the world outside a self-righteous religious community.

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

A macabre look at an adolescent's feeling that something is missing.

Squeak the Mouse by Massimo Mattioli

Sexual, homicidal rodents. Nothing more but certainly no less.

Nothing In This Book Is True ... by Bob Frissell

Sacred geometry and the evolution of human consciousness. I think this is a very important book in helping us understand our connection with the universe through mathematics.

Earth by David Brin

A frightening look at one possible future for man.

Art and Physics by Leonard Shlain

Diary Of A Genius by Salvador Dali

It's always interesting to slip into an overly creative person's thoughts

Interior Design with Feng Shui by Sarah Rossbach

Setting up your environment in order to take advantage of all available energies.

Archaic Revival by Terence McKenn

Enlightening perspectives on hallucinogens and culture.

The Dancing Wu Li Masters

The Mayan prophecies

The Legacy of the Beast ...

The Age Of Reason by Thomas Paine

Publisher: Promethus Books ISBN: 0879752734

Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baignet, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln

Publisher: Dell Publishing Co. ISBN: 0440136482

What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

Publisher: Grove Press ISBN: 080213031

Fourth Way by P. D. Ouspensky

Publisher: Random House ISBN: 0394716728

Four Treatises Of Theophratus Von Hohenheim Called Paracelus by Paracelus

Publisher: John Hopkins Univ. ISBN: 0801855233

The Origin Of Satan by Elaine Pagels

Publisher: Vintage Books ISBN: 0679731180

Dune by Frank Herbert

Publisher: Ace Books ISBN: 0441172717

One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Publisher: Knopf ISBN: 0679444653

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Publisher: Oxford Univ. Press ISBN: 0192823582

Black Spring by Henry Miller

Publisher: Grove Press ISBN: 0802131824

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Publisher: Random House ISBN: 0679735771

Hellboy: The Lost Army by Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics ISBN: 1569711852 (Also check out Hellboy on Dark Horse Comics)

High Priest by Timothy Leary

Publisher: Ronin Publishing ISBN: 1914171801

606610[/snapback]

Um. Take it your a fan, huh?