Iron City being pitched as Premium Beer?

AKC

It's suprising what a few hundred miles and some smart marketing can do for a beer. Here in Youngstown, OH, Genny Scream Ale is considered "exotic" because it's rarely seen.

I remember in the 80's being at Lancaster Speedway, being forced to drink large cups of the Scream because it was the only beer that was available. But I guess when you're 24 years old and like to party, the taste just doesn't matter.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had it the other day and me and my roommate thought it was pretty damn good.

Better then the usual we get in Texas, natty ice and steel reserve.

604502[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding me.

In college I drank Natty Boh, American and Milwaukees Beast. And even *I* wouldn't have touched an IC.

That's quite possibly the worst beer ever brewed.

Dunno 'bout the rest of the country, but in SF, Pabst Blue Ribbon is swilled by young posers all over town.  Almost all the bars have it.  Pabst...really.

604460[/snapback]

One of the Chapel Hill bars I occasionally frequent has a PBR "special" all the time -- I think it's $1.25 a pop.

You must not understand how sh------- Texas is for beer.

A 6-pack of Molson Canadian costs 8 bucks at HEB.

604546[/snapback]

(you really didn't drink iron city did you?)

Nothin wrong with a nice Shiner Bock from deep in the heart of Texas. As for the "premium" beers Rolling Rock is marketed in that category. I haven't had it since high school though.

For those of you who may be sensitive in nature HEB is a grocery chain in these here parts.

You must not understand how sh------- Texas is for beer.

A 6-pack of Molson Canadian costs 8 bucks at HEB.

604546[/snapback]

There was a beer out of Austin called Celis. Started by a guy from one of the better Belgian breweries. I think they have since been bought out, but you can probably still find it.

You know they used to see Genny Cream Ale in the south as a premium... (and I must admit I still enjoy a green screamer every now and again).

True story about Iron City. When I went to Fredonia, the Quality Supermarket had mistakenly received a pallet of IC light. They had it on sale for 2.99 for a 12 pack.

We bought as many as we could carry, went home and got stewed.

A day or two later we returned to the store to get more, only to find the pallet was gone, so I asked one of the stock boys if there was any left. He pointed to a shopping cart filled with the remaining 12'ers. As we walked up to it we realized the price had gone down to $1.49 per 12 pack.

I wheeled the entire cart right up to the register and bought the whole damn thing! :doh:

When I lived in Pgh, for some reason, Stroh's was pretty popular. I never cared for IC, but there was a local brewery in Smithton, PA that made Stoney's. Didn't care for that, but they made a brew named "Esquire", that was sold in splits that was ok.

CTM is correct - the local pronunciation is "Arn" City.

But now I drink Mil. Best Ice - too much water over the "damn" at this point. :doh:

ahh, I love fredonia stories. when were you at fredonia, I was there 81-86

You know they used to see Genny Cream Ale in the south as a premium... (and I must admit I still enjoy a green screamer every now and again).

True story about Iron City. When I went to Fredonia, the Quality Supermarket had mistakenly received a pallet of IC light. They had it on sale for 2.99 for a 12 pack.

We bought as many as we could carry, went home and got stewed.

A day or two later we returned to the store to get more, only to find the pallet was gone, so I asked one of the stock boys if there was any left. He pointed to a shopping cart filled with the remaining 12'ers. As we walked up to it we realized the price had gone down to $1.49 per 12 pack.

I wheeled the entire cart right up to the register and bought the whole damn thing! :doh:

604648[/snapback]

ahh, I love fredonia stories.  when were you at fredonia, I was there 81-86

604656[/snapback]

My folks lived in Fredonia while I was in college. I had a few Olean friends who came over for a night on the 'town'. We called a girl we went to high school with and she said, "Hey perfect. We just got a keg." So we go over expecting a huge party, but it turns out it was just the 6 of us. We pre-gamed pretty hard there then hit the town (BJ's etc). Of course, we got separated. We hit a pizza joint and then headed back to her place. She wasn't home yet, so we broke in (credit card to open a window).

She was none too pleased as she shooed us out the next morning. I brought it up to her at a wedding last year and had good laugh about it.

Way back when I was in law school we had a study session poker night and the host bought the beer. Although many of them now are making a lot of money, no one was rich at the time and we found a cheap beer that we really liked...Rolling Rock. Recently I noticed that the Rock is not a bargain brew anymore so apparently a lot of people must have taken a liking to it.

reviews of IC by other beer snobs like me.  I can't say I have ever tried it, nor do I intend to.  My swill drinking days ended the day I got a decent paying job out of college.

604724[/snapback]

From 1861 to present, Pittsburgh Brewing Company continues to produce fine beers as legendary as the city they come from. Iron City Beer is proudly recognized as one of the finest true lager beers brewed in the United States.

:D

Iron City Beer is proudly recognized as one of the finest true lager beers brewed in the United States.

:D

Anyone in PA or surrounding states might want to do a side by side with IC and Victory Brewing Prima Pils. Victory is an outstanding microbrewery in PA. Since IC, Bud, Miller, Coors etc. are just dumbed down versions of the classic pilsner style, a side by side between any macro lager and prima pils will give you a good idea just how bad they really are.

:)

Anyone in PA or surrounding states might want to do a side by side with IC and Victory Brewing Prima Pils.  Victory is an outstanding microbrewery in PA.  Since IC, Bud, Miller, Coors etc. are just dumbed down versions of the classic pilsner style, a side by side between any macro lager and prima pils will give you a good idea just how bad they really are.

604733[/snapback]

Thanks, bastard. Now that you are mentioning Victory, I am craving Hop Devil. :D

Unfortunately, the place near the office only has Flying Fish IPA. Not as good, IMO, but it will do in a pinch. :)

Thanks, bastard. Now that you are mentioning Victory, I am craving Hop Devil.  :D

Unfortunately, the place near the office only has Flying Fish IPA. Not as good, IMO, but it will do in a pinch.  :)

604749[/snapback]

A local pub had $2.50 pints of Hop Devil a few weeks ago. I took full advantage. :)

What's brewing these days?