Iron City being pitched as Premium Beer?

AKC

Thanks!!

I just racked my trippel to secondary. Nailed the FG (1.017) and the taste is wonderful. Clarity is superb, but the color is a little dark (brown to copper). This would probably kill me if I entered it as a trippel. Do you think that it should be entered as a Belgian Specialty (16E)? Everything else fits the trippel style but the color.

Best of luck to you on your entry. Let us know how you do.

607629[/snapback]

I'd enter this in both categories and see what happens. I know this would stir up a lot of extract vs. all grain debate if posted on a brewing forum, but the biggest difference I noticed when making the switch to all grain brewing was that I was able to hit the color much better, especially with lighter colored beers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd enter this in both categories and see what happens.  I know this would stir up a lot of extract vs. all grain debate if posted on a brewing forum, but the biggest difference I noticed when making the switch to all grain brewing was that I was able to hit the color much better, especially with lighter colored beers.

609394[/snapback]

When you are dealing with a golden color, you pretty much need to go AG. That is what I will be doing with my blonde. The recipe I had for the trippel was extract. It added some crystal malts, making the color darker. The problem is that the style guidelines say that caramel flavors are acceptable. The problem is that to get those caramel flavors, you will be adding color. Catch-22.

When you are dealing with a golden color, you pretty much need to go AG. That is what I will be doing with my blonde. The recipe I had for the trippel was extract. It added some crystal malts, making the color darker. The problem is that the style guidelines say that caramel flavors are acceptable. The problem is that to get those caramel flavors, you will be adding color. Catch-22.

609443[/snapback]

KRC - Caramel technology reference:

http://www.caramel.com/in_the_news/?hid=6

Milwaukee Best Ice-drinking stuckincincy knows nada about brewing of course - just thought you might find this interesting... :D

I do not believe it is any relation, gotta love kochs anniversary ale. Spent many a weekend at the fountain grill in fredonia playing pool, talking and drinking Kochs!!!!

You can say that again.

Question... That I never truly got an answer.  Is Jim Koch (Sam Adams) related to the family that used to brew Koch's beer (Dunkirk, New York)?  Didn't they (Koch's) used to sell the "no name" "beer" in the plain yellow packaging?

606202[/snapback]