Iron City being pitched as Premium Beer?

AKC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had it the other day and me and my roommate thought it was pretty damn good.

Better then the usual we get in Texas, natty ice and steel reserve.

604502[/snapback]

You know, when funds are VERY low, a Steel Reserve can be a man's best friend (well...a man's good friend, anyway). 99 cents for a 22oz bottle of 7.1 proof beer. It actually has flavor (I'm not saying good flavor...but, it tastes of something, anyway). When I was too poor to pay attention, I drank a lot of that beer. It's one of your best buzz values.

As for Stroh's (mentioned by another poster) that was pretty good for mass produced beer, IMO, when it was fire-brewed in Detroit. It tasted particularly good on tap. I think Stroh's now is just a label on generic beer, though.

As for Stroh's (mentioned by another poster) that was pretty good for mass produced beer, IMO, when it was fire-brewed in Detroit.  It tasted particularly good on tap.  I think Stroh's now is just a label on generic beer, though.

604842[/snapback]

'Twas me. IIRC, they closed up in Detroit many years ago. I haven't seen it on the shelves for years.

'Twas me. IIRC, they closed up in Detroit many years ago. I haven't seen it on the shelves for years.

604854[/snapback]

It's made by someone else now. When I was in WNY last year it was the same price as Milwaukee's Best (or should I say, "Beast")...i think about $5 or $6 a 12-pack.

Way back when I was in law school we had a study session poker night and the host bought the beer.  Although many of them now are making a lot of money, no one was rich at the time and we found a cheap beer that we really liked...Rolling Rock.  Recently I noticed that the Rock is not a bargain brew anymore so apparently a lot of people must have taken a liking to it.

604720[/snapback]

I've been drinking Rock since the 60s. I like a hoppy Pilsner and the secret to that is always good water and hops, two ingredients that remain the staple of the product. Coors seems to have done just one thing and that's clean up the incidents of "bad" bottles that used to be like a Russian Roulette under the original management.

BTW- I actually know what the 66 on the reverse of the bottle means- any takers?

DOH! Of course-

I wonder if seeing it on 126,492 bottles has limited my memory?

604933[/snapback]

:D

When I lived in the area, I visited the Latrobe brewery. That was back before the GAA!!! alcohol for free! Oh No!, we will be sued!!! days...

I and my cohorts got pleasantly snockered thanks to the kind folks there. :)

The Vietnamese beer (called Bah Me Bahm) was the Vietnamese 99.  The Thai Beer, Singh Ha...was and is a magnificent Beer.  Erynthered and I will be drinking it tomorrow sometime!

604940[/snapback]

There's something metallic in the SingHa flavor, I can't figure out exactly where it comes from. It's OK but that one hint is a little unpleasant.

Hope you're drinking that with a great Larb Nuen.

The Vietnamese beer (called Bah Me Bahm) was the Vietnamese 99.  The Thai Beer, Singh Ha...was and is a magnificent Beer.  Erynthered and I will be drinking it tomorrow sometime!

604940[/snapback]

I hope to be swilling a Sing Ha at lunch today. I'm supposed to be taking 3 beautiful assistants to a good Thai restaurant in about 90 minutes. Ummmm, Sing Ha...

Now, there's talk of, perhaps, going to another place that serves a pretty decent quesadilla with homemade habenero salsa. If that's the case, ice-cold Negra Modela.

Either way, spicy food and cold beer. Beautiful!

I hope to be swilling a Sing Ha at lunch today.  I'm supposed to be taking 3 beautiful assistants to a good Thai restaurant in about 90 minutes.  Ummmm, Sing Ha...

Now, there's talk of, perhaps, going to another place that serves a pretty decent quesadilla with homemade habenero salsa.  If that's the case, ice-cold Negra Modela.

Either way, spicy food and cold beer.  Beautiful!

604971[/snapback]

Sahwahdee Kah

Old Ale is conditioning, Trippel is in secondary, Blonde up next, followed by a refinement of my Amber.

How about you?

604798[/snapback]

I just had a fantastic Ole Ale the other night that a friend brewed so that style might be coming up soon on my to-brew list. I have been very busy brewing the past few months. I currently have a weizenbock and an English brown ale on tap, an imperial pils lagering, two different IPA's in secondary and a blueberry wheat in secondary (gotta keep the wife happy!). I hope to squeeze in a brew this weekend, if I do I will use the Simcoe and Warrior hops that just arrived to try to make a Dogfish Head 90 clone.

I hope to squeeze in a brew this weekend, if I do I will use the Simcoe and Warrior hops that just arrived to try to make a Dogfish Head 90 clone.

605103[/snapback]

I know that they used Simcoe in that, but do they also use Warrior or is that just your interpretation?

I need to do an IPA or IIPA soon. I may start with Victory's Hop Devil as a basis, but "tweek" it. Centennial and Cascade seem to go real well together, which is what is in Hop Devil. I am also a fan of Magnum and Willamette together. Hmmm...

I was in Pittsburgh for work last year and I decided to bring back some IC to drink. It was the first beer I had ever had in aluminum cans so I figured I'd bring it back for my buddies to try. When I was carrying it through the airport one of the security guards told me to "take as much of that crap beer back with you as can. we hate it." All in all, I don't think it is that bad.

Round here it's not uncommon to see the boys have an ArnCity at kickoff (w/ salt if it's a big game) and then switch back to whatever they were drinking before.

As for the Rock, I always thought they were working with different recipes when they re-opened the brewery and were labeling the bottles to keep track of them. The last recipe they settled on was the 33rd they tried, so that's what was on the bottles when they finally put them out and they just decided to keep it on the bottles thereafter.

Cya

Round here it's not uncommon to see the boys have an ArnCity at kickoff (w/ salt if it's a big game) and then switch back to whatever they were drinking before.

As for the Rock, I always thought they were working with different recipes when they re-opened the brewery and were labeling the bottles to keep track of them. The last recipe they settled on was the 33rd they tried, so that's what was on the bottles when they finally put them out and they just decided to keep it on the bottles thereafter.

Cya

605183[/snapback]

The founding family once owned a thoroughbred named "Old 33", which was the original reverse name until some point in the last couple decades where it was shortened to "33". That's the story passed on by old family members from Renova who worked the rails and lived for beer legends.