Greatest Bills Safety of All Time

bbh10128

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Objectively, he was probably a bit overrated.....Subjectively, he's my favorite cause I met him in person and he's just a great guy....one Mr. Leonard Smith.

One of my very favorite all-time Bills....

603884[/snapback]

Loved Freeman tooo...great anticipation,super smart,could read what the QB wanted to do...all this with mediocre speed...Loved watching him play...always the right place at the right time.

..... Tony Greene.  The guy dominated the secondary when the Bills had nothing on defense (unless of course you consider Walt Patalski something.)  He had several multiple interception games.  He was so good in fact it justified keeping his brother - Donnie Greene - on the team, even though he wasn't that good.

603630[/snapback]

tony greene, he seemed to be a factor in every game. and you didnt specify strong or free safety but it doesn't really matter because in my opinion the bills have never had a true standout at strong safety - jones was the most consistent, but in any given year he was not a standout.

its too bad too because in my opinion its the most under rated position in football. it's why bellicheck went after rodney harrison and cut milloy. and would the bucs have won a super bowl without lynch? steelers without polamolu? and it makes sense when u consider the SS covers the tight end, rushes the passer, stops the run and, most importantly, is the enforcer in the secondary.

Mine is Tony Greene, with Saimes a close second. I always thought Kazoo and Shultz sucked.

603747[/snapback]

While Tony Greene was a very good ball hawk, Saimes brought the whole package.

Sorry, Greene was not a strong tackler. Saimes was very good, if not outstanding at it.

For those who aren't aware, Saimes (along with Johnny Robinson) were voted the All-Time best Safeties in the AFL.

All-Time AFL Team

That's not a raise, that's a downgrade. Bill Simpson was on the downside of his career, and had 6 int in 1980, but the entire secondary led the league. Adv. Freeman.

603966[/snapback]

But Simpson had that interception in the Jets playoff game that preserved a win that would have gone down as one of the worst choke jobs in the NFL playoff history, just adding to the Bills great reputation.

For that one pick, and one pick only, ole Billy Simpson is my favorite

If you want one play I'd have to make that Hagood Clarke, who was a safety with Saimes. With a minute or less left and Houston holding the ball, Blanda decided to throw for a first down. Clarke intercepts, runs for a touchdown and the Bills continue to the Afl championship. Add Hagood Clarke to the mix.

If you want one play I'd have to make that Hagood Clarke, who was a safety with Saimes.  With a minute or less left and Houston holding the ball, Blanda decided to throw for a first down.  Clarke intercepts, runs for a touchdown and the Bills continue to the Afl championship.  Add Hagood Clarke to the mix.

604947[/snapback]

That, my friend, is before my time, lordy tennesee, I'm old, but you gotta be older than dirt, <_<

My Bills memories start in 1971