SuperBowl XL Game Thread

SDS

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The key point is hitting the pylon with ANY part of the body before another part touches OOB.  The pylon is part of the endzone and once touched, it's a TD.  I'll have to go back and see the play (somehow), but if DJ had the ball in his hands and wasn't bobbling it, as long as he touched the pylon first, it's a TD.

595395[/snapback]

Oh, for Pete's sake. The pylon is part of the endzone only in the infinite vertical direction. Hitting the pylon does not establish possession. Hitting the pylon after establishing possession would make a TD.

Oh, for Pete's sake.  The pylon is part of the endzone only in the infinite vertical direction.  Hitting the pylon does not establish possession.  Hitting the pylon after establishing possession would make a TD.

595418[/snapback]

Is the rule explicitly clear that you must hit the pylon with possession? Or is it only implied?

I mean, it makes sense to any rational person...but I've found NFL rules to occasionally be other than rational, particularly when it comes to possession and the plane of the goal line...

Is the rule explicitly clear that you must hit the pylon with possession?  Or is it only implied?

I mean, it makes sense to any rational person...but I've found NFL rules to occasionally be other than rational, particularly when it comes to possession and the plane of the goal line...

595420[/snapback]

I'm not even going to attempt to guess what the idiots will make up on the fly when they root for the Steelers on the field, but according to the written rule:

23. Possession: When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds.

I'm not even going to attempt to guess what the idiots will make up on the fly when they root for the Steelers on the field, but according to the written rule:

595422[/snapback]

Yes, that's the rule for possession, and yes, theoretically you should be required to have possession before you hit the pylon...but is that what the rule says. I mean, is there somewhere where it says "If you hit the pylon with possession of the ball, it's a score", or does it just say "If you hit the pylon, it's a score."

I could see them wording it either way.

Yes, that's the rule for possession, and yes, theoretically you should be required to have possession before you hit the pylon...but is that what the rule says.  I mean, is there somewhere where it says "If you hit the pylon with possession of the ball, it's a score", or does it just say "If you hit the pylon, it's a score."

I could see them wording it either way.

595427[/snapback]

Ask, and you shall receive:

31. Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

Thus, I read possession must be established before you rule a touchdown, and nowhere does it even imply that for possession the pylon = ground.

seattle starts at its own two, but rothlisberger seems hurt.  maybe there'll be an XFL MVP sighting soon.

595434[/snapback]

if that's true, you're going to hear intense crying of everyone who picked the steelers.

That would seem to close the issue, then.  No TD.

595435[/snapback]

I'm still seeking for the corollary of the rule that states that if the helmet of the player crosses the goal line, it is also a TD.