Count Riemersma as one of many who was VERY bitter

Tipster19

In retrospect, there has been a large number of players that were shown the door without a whole lot of fanfare. Most of them have not come back to bite us in the butt. The idea of releasing older or non-productive players isn't new. The difference is that most clubs wait until they have replacements to do so, Donahoe didn't seem to care.

Perhaps he was more concerned about his draft picks getting playing time? You know, those second round gems Denney and Kelsay!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries. Unca Marv is here to make everybody feel better! And that's what it's all about right?

I'm sure Unca Marv would have found a way to pay Riemersma and keep him happy since he's such a swell fella. Who cares about the fact that he was arguably the worst blocking TE in the history of the Buffalo Bills. As long as we can all feel special, that's what's really important!

buftex, I appreciate your excellent insights. I don't have inside sources or profess that I know all the going ons that are involved in contract negoiating but I just think that there could have been more class and integrity involved. It's no secret that Donahoe is a big time controll freak. There were some very good aspects to this ego maniac but at the same time there were some that I loathed. Holecek was one that I forgot. I really liked this guy. I saw him down in the Miami game where he had a monster game. The best part of it I went with a Miami diehard. He was talking to himself on the way home after that game. I just appreciated the players who gave me fond memories with their great efforts. One dumping that really makes me unhappy is Rusty Jones. I didn't need time to unfold for me to regret this execution. No doubt, Donahoe made some strong moves but he also left some scars. Not everybody are going to be happy with some decisions but if it's done in a classy way they could respect it. I didn't see this being part of Donahoe's image.

RearSmegma dropped a lot of passes towards the end of his Bills run. 

I didn't know he was a Count, though.

582814[/snapback]

he did, but the reason a lot of people know his statistics for drops that year is because right after the season, donohoe told lenny p about the precise number and lenny p duly reported it. that was totally bush league by donohoe.

Tipster, Jay Riemersma was one those really, really overrated fan favorites.  He was a big, dumb white guy, with hands of stone, and a nice Buffalo kind of name. TD was right to let him walk. He should really be thankful that he lasted as long as he did, and made some nice money along the way.  The fact that the Bills have not had a better TE since, is anohter matter...

Tipster, I am in complete agreement with you.  I have been posting in this very subject, off and on, for as long as I have been a member of TSW.  When everyone assumed (self included) we were headed in the right direction, my posts were normally greeted with comments like "the guy was a loser, his best days are past, buh-bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Going all the way back to his handling of the Flutie/Johnson situtaion, all the way up to letting Pat Williams walk, TD has shown a propensity to speak out of both sides of his mouth.  He lectured Bills fans about the crappy way they treated Gregg Williams, upon his firing, but then, months later, all smug and clever, he takes thinly veiled shots at his former head coach. 

He let Drew Bledsoe go, and tells us he is grateful for what Drew did for the Bills.  A few months later, in SI, he tells them that people shouldn't get too excited about Drews' quick start in Dallas, because all the teams he is beating will get a chance to face him again. 

Pat Williams tells us that he wanted to stay in Buffalo, TD tells us Williams did not want to stay in Buffalo.  Rob Johnson wanted out of Buffalo, TD wanted him to take a pay-cut, but stay on.  When RJ forced his release, TD took shots at him too, never mentioned that he was trying to re-sign him.  The list is pretty long.  The franchise's all-time leading scorer, Steve Christie, was hauled to the trash heap with very little fanfare. 

TD always seemed to have an insatiable need to get the last word, and take unnecessary cheap shots at former players.  Almost like he had to reassure himself that he didn't make a mistake in letting them go. 

Players are suppoesed to be emotional. When they get cut from a team, they tend to say stupid things.  Exectuives, like TD, should take the high road.  TD never could, he always got his clever, subtle digs in at his ex-employees. I think his treatment of some of these guys (and I am not talking about just cutting guys, that is part of the game) speaks volumes about TD's character. 

I don't even hate TD, and in fact, I might be sleeping in my flannel Bills bed sheets a little easier tonight, if he was still the Bills GM.  However, I never liked the image he was building of the Bills franchise.  I looked the other way though, because I thought that was just the way things had to be done today in the NFL, and TD was building us a winner.

I have known someone who has worked at One Bills Drive for about 20 years.  For the last 3 or 4 years, this person has told me repeatedly, that the morale in the Bills front office has never been lower.  Most, if not all, of the bad vibes were attributed to TD.  Amongst his various executive skills, it seems, TD had a knack for making people feel small...he was apparently "stunned" that he was fired, he never thought it would happen.  Karma?

582984[/snapback]

great post - i'm in total agreement.

You know, the more I think about Rusty Jones the more it's making me seethe. W@hy did this have to happen? He has been here how many years? I'm taking a guess at 19. To me, a guy like this is more important than most players. Good players don't have the longest window of opportunity but a guy like Rusty CONDITIONS these players. He affects the WHOLE team. No, Donahoe definitely had some baggage too. Good riddance!

The attitude of the individual when faced with a new situation is a key to their character.

Read any "Dilbert" book to see what happens to people when are confronted with "change"

582865[/snapback]

No argument here. Human beings have always had, and will always continue to have, a resistance to change. Even when they see it coming. It's part of our pussification movement. It's how you react to the change that defines you, in many cases. So I don't provide justification for the Pat Williams, Rob Johnsons or Drew Bledsoes for taking their parting shots. I would have expected more from them...or anyone in that situation.

I just think that as the leader, it's important to find a way, any way, to treat your staff with respect...coming or going. When you don't, and the evidence seems to me that Donahoe didn't, then it doesn't create a favorable atmosphere regardless of what you do for a living or how much you make. In fact, in my opinion, the more you make, the less likely you are to accept working in that kind of environment.

In the end, it doesn't matter because all most anyone cares about is making the playoffs. The reality is, if we made a 13-3 run, made the playoffs and won the Super Bowl, most fans wouldn't care if each regular season game was following by a public flogging of everyone who caused a penalty or turnover. You'd probably be able to charge special admission just for the post-game activities.

Mularkey is part of Donahoe's entourage. Same dog food, different label. Good riddance to the whole Shitzburgh connection.

583185[/snapback]

The irony about TD's whole reputation, built in Pittsburgh, was that he was canned, when ownership had to choose between he and Cowher.

Initially at least, TD seem to have a sort of disdain for the Bills history. He only embraced it, when it became another tool to sell merchandise.

But, think about it. What did TD really achieve in Pittsburgh, that the Bills hadn't done 4 times? A Super Bowl loss, and some solid, but ulitimately, non-threatening teams. Were the Steelers of the TD era really that superior to the Bills of the 90's? I don't think so....

he did, but the reason a lot of people know his statistics for drops that year is because right after the season, donohoe told lenny p about the precise number and lenny p duly reported it. that was totally bush league by donohoe.

583151[/snapback]

You may be right about TD leaking the # of JR drops to the press. And, if he did, it IS bush league.

Actually, I don't recall reading the exact # of drops...so that's not what I wa referring to in my comments. Anyone with working eyes, who watched the games, saw Jay drop a LOT of big passes.

You may be right about TD leaking the # of JR drops to the press.  And, if he did, it IS bush league.

Actually, I don't recall reading the exact # of drops...so that's not what I wa referring to in my comments.  Anyone with working eyes, who watched the games, saw Jay drop a LOT of big passes.

583388[/snapback]

even the ones he caught he double-clutched... on his GOOD days.

Riermersma had a chance to re-up with the Bills, if I recall, but we didn't want to pony up the cash. So we let the Steelers sign him to a pretty big deal, watch him stink for a year, and now he's coaching high school football, probably still collecting $$ from the Pittsburgh contract (and probably still recovering from a lingering pulled groin suffered in 2001).

582937[/snapback]

He retired yesterday. He was released by the Steelers last Feb and was having serious problems rehabbing the achilles tear. Link

You know, the more I think about Rusty Jones the more it's making me seethe. W@hy did this have to happen? He has been here how many years? I'm taking a guess at 19. To me, a guy like this is more important than most players. Good players don't have the longest window of opportunity but a guy like Rusty CONDITIONS these players. He affects the WHOLE team. No, Donahoe definitely had some baggage too. Good riddance!

583179[/snapback]

My understanding of the Rusty Jones dumping was that it actually was initiated by the arrival of MM bexause he had his own strength, diet and conditioning guy that he brought with him and thus Rusty was out.

One can certainly blame TD if you want for this, since the buck stops with him. However, given that Rusty was here for several years under TD with him surviving Butler leaving and the transition to GW (I think he even ended with a new title and promotion in TD's first initial years. It doesn't seem like having the head of Rusty Jones on his soul is among the chief sins and failures as our GM one can reasonably lay on him.

In fact, if I hired a new HC whom I thought was the guy for the HC job, if he said he wanted to bring his strength coach with him as part of his team I would say adios to my holdover strength coach from the old GM regime.

There is something to be said for preserving tradition and if team player leaders stepped up an asked me to save the old guy who has been cleaning towels in the locker room for 40 years I would certainly save him our of tradition even if he is easily and towels are clean more cost effectively by some new machine. Tradition matters so you keep the old geezer around.

However, if it came down to my new HC wanting his conditioning coach as partof his team and keeping a valued but replceable guy hired by the old regime, the nice conditioning guy is gone unless enough players and local folks stand up for him.

If it is fact that MM brought in his own guy the fault probably lies with the players and local folks not standing up to keep Rusty around/

As far as Reimersma, he did seem to be a stand up guy who had deep religious beliefs. However, the public reports were that he was given a balloon salary payment on the back end of contract which would reward him for great play or could renegotiated down or the Bills would cut him if he did not play at great or very good level.

The Bills agreed to the contract so JR had a legal and practical right to make them pay. However, as the Bills never developed a quality TE, JR found himself in a situation where even though his play was not great or even good at TE (though he was a nice guy off the field) they could not cut him even though he was paid far beyind his worth for play on the field his last year.

JR was in his rights to stick it to the Bills and leave us fans rooting for a team which was paying a lot more for a TE than JR's play and stick it to the Bills he did. I hope he realizes that rather than being screwed by the agreement with the Bills he actually was paid far more than his play deserved.

Nice guy or not I think it is a little irrational to shed tears over JR being cut. he is crying all the way to the bank if he is whining about it (which since I think he was a quality guy I doubt he is).

There is one aspect that was overlooked- I wonder how Donahoe felt when he was the bootee and not the booter. How does that saying go, "What comes around, goes around". You think there were a few folks (mostly former Buffalo personnel I'm sure) around the league that had a smile on their faces with TD's demise?

There is one aspect that was overlooked- I wonder how Donahoe felt when he was the bootee and not the booter. How does that saying go, "What comes around, goes around". You think there were a few folks (mostly former Buffalo personnel I'm sure) around the league that had a smile on their faces with TD's demise?

584014[/snapback]

From what I understand, he was "shocked" that he was going to be fired, and went on a very desperate PR campaign, his last week in Buffalo, to win over staff members...it was too little too late....