Does anyone feel they know what we got in JP?

The_Real

So many people are writing J.P off and I just can't understand it. There is no reason to assume that he is or isn't a good quarterback yet. He does in fact have happy feet but with the situation involving our offensive line, wouldn't you? I think he made a couple of bad reads and a couple more bad passes. I don't think he's got Hall of Fame written in his biography but I don't really think I see Rob Johnson either.

He had the whole season and community put on his back this year. Everyone rode him for every mistake he made. The coach showed no faith in him, the owner showed no faith in him. Very few quarterbacks come into the NFL and inherit such a disaster as he did. Bad Oline, tempermental rb and impatient community.

I haven't put him in the pro bowl but I haven't been convinced he's a bust either. It's pretty frustrating that so many people have already done so.

t-r

I agree, I think JP has a lot of upside with the proper coaching and offensive players surrounding him.

576089[/snapback]

I just don't know what people thought they were getting. Coming out of college people said he had a great arm and great wheels. I saw enough of both to think he can play at this level and I want to know what people saw that makes them feel differently.

8 interceptions isn't stellar but it's not 15 or 20. His completion percentage and yards have to come up, but I think it will with more time, ala better offensive line.

I just don't know what people thought they were getting.  Coming out of college people said he had a great arm and great wheels.  I saw enough of both to think he can play at this level and I want to know what people saw that makes them feel differently. 

8 interceptions isn't stellar but it's not 15 or 20.  His completion percentage and yards have to come up, but I think it will with more time, ala better offensive line.

576095[/snapback]

Agreed. He has an arm, mobility, and he works hard in the film room. There is no doubt he has been mismanaged by MM. Not playing him in the last 3 games made no sense.

It is amazing how poor OL play was the main story in the Indy game this weekend, yet JP is playing behind arguably the worst line in the league and that is not taken into consideration.

I believe if Sherman is hired, this guy could have a great career with Buffalo.

The only thing we know about JP for sure is this...

"I got the opportunity to go down there and play some golf and I said, 'Yeah, I'll play golf with Brett Favre,'" Losman said. "He invited me to the house to go pick him up, so I went to the house, and there he was with his tight little shorts, no shirt, his little red hat, and he was doing some farming or something, and he was covered in dirt. It was awesome, man. It was good to see that."

It's not that I've written him off ......... it's I haven't become enamored with him yet ......... he just hasn't given me much to get jazzed up about.

IMHO ....... at this point in time ...... he sucks

However ...... at this point in time we should EXPECT him to suck, he's young, he's green, he's inexperianced, the continuity hasn't been there for the team in years, the O-line stinks, etc, etc, etc.

Now as a Bills fan, I hope he improves ..... as far as how rapidly, I just don't know, but at this point I'm still willing to make excuses for his "suckatude". During the first four games I was ALMOST willing to throw in the towel on him because I didn't even see a glimmer of improvement ........ in the games he played after his benching I thought his play did in fact improve a bit from game to game, but I'm not willing to crown him the future of the franchise just yet.

Considering it takes most QB's several years to develop to their full potential, writing JP off now is plain stupid. Especially when you consider the O-line he has to play behind and the yo-yo treatment he got from Mularkey.

He has shown me enough to think he's got something. My big question: will he develop good field vision? Reading defenses and knowing where his receivers are?

Does he have an arm? Can he scramble? Can he lead? I believe so.

PTR

Does anyone feel they know what we got in JP?

I feel we've got ourselves a good young pro QB if he can stay on the field.

The talent is obviously there, the temperment will get there when he finds the maturity to calm himself down on Sundays, and I think he has the mind and the instincts but just needs the experience that hones them.

But he needs to stay healthy and that's my biggest concern about his game right now.

Cya

So many people are writing J.P off and I just can't understand it.  There is no reason to assume that he is or isn't a good quarterback yet.  He does in fact have happy feet but with the situation involving our offensive line, wouldn't you?  I think he made a couple of bad reads and a couple more bad passes.  I don't think he's got Hall of Fame written in his biography but I don't really think I see Rob Johnson either. 

He had the whole season and community put on his back this year.  Everyone rode him for every mistake he made.  The coach showed no faith in him, the owner showed no faith in him.  Very few quarterbacks come into the NFL and inherit such a disaster as he did.  Bad Oline, tempermental rb and impatient community. 

I haven't put him in the pro bowl but I haven't been convinced he's a bust either.  It's pretty frustrating that so many people have already done so. 

t-r

576087[/snapback]

I agree.....but he could go either way.Thanx a lot MM.

I feel we have a younger more physically talented version of jake plummer, and it will take a few years for him to reach plummers level of play. The reason I'm not all that enamored with losman is because Of the draft picks we gave up for him. I dont feel the risk will be worth the reward. Losman imo will never be the face of a franchise, but I feel if you build a team with a strong run game and defense ala denver you can win with him down the road, as long as he doesn't become the focal point of the offense.

Considering it takes most QB's several years to develop to their full potential, writing JP off now is plain stupid.  Especially when you consider the O-line he has to play behind and the yo-yo treatment he got from Mularkey. 

He has shown me enough to think he's got something.  My big question: will he develop good field vision? Reading defenses and knowing where his receivers are? 

Does he have an arm? Can he scramble?  Can he lead?  I believe so.

PTR

576114[/snapback]

The one concern I have, I heard this from Jaws on ESPN, is his accuracy. I was amazed how Big Ben was able to put some balls in very tight spots this past weekend and I have not seen that from JP yet. The quick slants in the red zone and the seam routes require a lot of accuracy in this league because of the speed on defense, thus accuracy is a concern to me.

The one concern I have, I heard this from Jaws on ESPN, is his accuracy. I was amazed how Big Ben was able to put some balls in very tight spots this past weekend and I have not seen that from JP yet. The quick slants in the red zone and the seam routes require a lot of accuracy in this league because of the speed on defense, thus accuracy is a concern to me.

576121[/snapback]

Accuracy can be comprimised when you are running for your life.

PTR

With a young QB, mistakes are inevitable. He will learn. What troubles me the most also is his inacuracy as a passer. Look at the best ones - they can thread the needle. To date, JP has demonstrated an inability to do that. Perhaps, he can improve, but accuracy seems like an innate ability (like the arm strength he has), something that cannot be taught. I hope I'm wrong .... B-)

At this point I'd limit the things that can be fairly assessed to:

A) We've got ourselves a bona fide athlete. Like they say about height- you can't teach that.

B) We've got a kid who has shown that he has the capacity to learn. He exhibited pocket discipline for the firs time in a Bill's uniform after the sitdown- not enough yet but still he had even consecutive plays of solid pocket discpline in his return.

C) We have someone who has embraced WNY and has expressed the intentions to make it his home for his football career; a kid with very strong family values and commitments.

D) We also appear to have a team player who while others are melting down around him has held his cool and accepted the team's decisions. He's weathered diversity at the college and now pro levels, and from my seat did it admirably.

Now if we can get the right influences working to match his skills with an effective NFL offensive philosophy we might just find we have a quarterback capable of competing in this league.

So many people are writing J.P off and I just can't understand it.  There is no reason to assume that he is or isn't a good quarterback yet.  He does in fact have happy feet but with the situation involving our offensive line, wouldn't you?  I think he made a couple of bad reads and a couple more bad passes.  I don't think he's got Hall of Fame written in his biography but I don't really think I see Rob Johnson either. 

He had the whole season and community put on his back this year.  Everyone rode him for every mistake he made.  The coach showed no faith in him, the owner showed no faith in him.  Very few quarterbacks come into the NFL and inherit such a disaster as he did.  Bad Oline, tempermental rb and impatient community. 

I haven't put him in the pro bowl but I haven't been convinced he's a bust either.  It's pretty frustrating that so many people have already done so. 

t-r

576087[/snapback]

We should see a major improvement this upcoming season. We don't really know until he's had 3 full years in this league.

A quitter. It was obvious that he had a lot of influence in the decision not to play the last three games. Stop blaming that all on TD and MM. If JPL wanted to play and could have he would have ensured it got leaked to the press. This goes in line with his whole college experience as well. When it was determined that he may never start at UCLA, he quit before he even tried to show them what he had and switched to a third tier school.

He has continued to show the pattern of just giving up and taking the easy road rather then proving himself. Talent can't always be taught but he is a coward to the bone.

A quitter.  It was obvious that he had a lot of influence in the decision not to play the last three games.  Stop blaming that all on TD and MM.  If JPL wanted to play and could have he would have ensured it got leaked to the press.  This goes in line with his whole college experience as well.  When it was determined that he may never start at UCLA, he quit before he even tried to show them what he had and switched to a third tier school. 

He has continued to show the pattern of just giving up and taking the easy road rather then proving himself.  Talent can't always be taught but he is a coward to the bone.

576171[/snapback]

O.K. it's friday night, put down the beer and step away from the key board .........I repeat

step away from the key board with your hands in the air slooooooowly very sloooooowly step away from the key board ................that post is out there dude............how the hell can you assume all that ?????

Guest BackInDaDay
Now if we can get the right influences working to match his skills with an effective NFL offensive philosophy we might just find we have a quarterback capable of competing in this league.

576158[/snapback]

Totally agree, but I wouldn't expect him to beat out a veteran QB as the '06 starter. That means there's either a commitment to his development (this being his 3rd year in the league) or there isn't. I don't think Marv's as enamored with his inexperienced QB, as Mike Sherman may be. If there's any credibility to the story that Marv favors Jauron over Sherman this may be a contributing factor.

What Simon and AKC said. He's got the stuff. The questions are:

1. Will he get the right training and handling (an O-line would be nice, too)?

2. Can he stay healthy?

Concerns about attitude and accuracy are BS, IMO.

I agree, I think JP has a lot of upside with the proper coaching and offensive players surrounding him.

576089[/snapback]

Agree! JP has nothing but upside. He is the future. Time for the team and the fans to get on board with that fact.

A quitter.  It was obvious that he had a lot of influence in the decision not to play the last three games.  Stop blaming that all on TD and MM.  If JPL wanted to play and could have he would have ensured it got leaked to the press.  This goes in line with his whole college experience as well.  When it was determined that he may never start at UCLA, he quit before he even tried to show them what he had and switched to a third tier school. 

He has continued to show the pattern of just giving up and taking the easy road rather then proving himself.  Talent can't always be taught but he is a coward to the bone.

576171[/snapback]

Some people might call that being a coward. However, it could just as easily be explained by his realization that aside from physical talent he brings nothing to the game, and he thus is basically "hiding" the fact he doesn't belong in the league.

576171[/snapback]

Fishing again? B-)

So how many "wash seasons" is JP gonna get? Is this his last one?

576639[/snapback]

He has yet to have even ONE full season. So, let's say we wait til he gets a REAL opportunity before we judge him to be the bust you already seem to think he is. <_<

he has a higher level of qb talent (wheels and deep ball arm, ability to scramble, ability to throw on the run, has thrown some very difficult passes with high accuracy) than many of the young qbs playing well today.

his problem is that he is green and gets dejected when he plays poorly.

he needs to learn to bounce back from an INT and come out gunning.

the thing is, our whole team was like that. MM and his loser crew moped and gave in at the first signs of a challange.

i remember after the denver game they asked him when the game turned, he said after that tipped pass for the TD. THAT WAS THE BRONCOS FIRST TD!!

so, jp might be a guy who gets beat too easy, but i think at this point we can assume that was a team thing and he can be re tooled

Some people might call that being a coward.  However, it could just as easily be explained by his realization that aside from physical talent he brings nothing to the game, and he thus is basically "hiding" the fact he doesn't belong in the league.

576580[/snapback]

Agreed.