Per ESPN Radio...Russ Grimm

Gardinier

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ there are some real idiots around here.

90% of this thread is focused on either Grimm's name, his low salary/lack of OC experience, or his Pittsburgh connection. That is simply ridiculous. This guy anchored one of the best offensive lines in NFL history, and then went on to coach one of the toughest, most physical lines in recent NFL history. ISN'T THIS EXACTLY WHAT WE'RE ALWAYS COMPLAINING WE DON'T HAVE? God forbid we bring in someone who can instill toughness in our offense and running game.

Anyway, again, it's academic, because he's gonna be the Lions head coach.

90% of this thread is focused on either Grimm's name, his low salary/lack of OC experience, or his Pittsburgh connection.  That is simply ridiculous.  This guy anchored one of the best offensive lines in NFL history, and then went on to coach one of the toughest, most physical lines in recent NFL history.  ISN'T THIS EXACTLY WHAT WE'RE ALWAYS COMPLAINING WE DON'T HAVE?  God forbid we bring in someone who can instill toughness in our offense and running game.

561695[/snapback]

OK mister smarty holier than thou pants...A proven commodity would be a very good thing. We have an inexperienced head coach who has proven that he doesn't understand how to call a ballgame. Putting another inexperienced coordinator along side him is not my idea of a day at the beach.

Oh, BTW...saying that he'll be the Lion's next HC isn't exactly something to hang your hat on is it? Millen has shown that he's a poorer decision maker than Mularkey.

Feel better now?

At least Grimm is an offensive lineman who had great success as a player in the NFL.  I'd rather have him than friggin' retread Norv Turner, whose offensive genius turned Randy Moss into a pedestrian.

561647[/snapback]

Exactly

I'm sure Grimm wasn't just sitting around picking his nose watching Pittsburgh succeed. If we're going with Mularkey, and for the record I'm not happy about that, we should have a guy who knows how to set up successful blocking schemes and personnel in his system. Grimm comes highly recommended and touted by a lot of people, not just Pittsburgh people. I'd definitely rather give him a shot than a lot of others, and it just might be the only kind of situation that works (promoting a guy who's never held the post). Other, "name" candidates may see the job as either below them (ie they're looking for a HC job and that's it) or perceive less benefit to taking this job when Mularkey's skating on thin ice anyway.

I dont know: Mularky, Grimm, Wyche, McNally.......It looks like a pretty good coaching group to me. Look we have pretty darn good skilled playersa dn a pretty creative offensive mind in Mularky. Our weakness has been O-line, and TE's. The Bills would benefit from Grimm as much in the off season as during the season. With Grimm and McNally looking at FA's and potential draftees, I for one will have a much better feeling about the players we bring in and dare I say cut loose.

With Grimm and McNally looking at FA's and potential draftees, I for one will have a much better feeling about the players we bring in and dare I say cut loose.

561714[/snapback]

This is an excellent point. There are huge decisions to be made up front, and it would be great to have Grimm involved in the decision making process.

Hopefully, Marv will be a better listener than was TD.

At least Grimm is an offensive lineman who had great success as a player in the NFL.  I'd rather have him than friggin' retread Norv Turner, whose offensive genius turned Randy Moss into a pedestrian.

561647[/snapback]

I thought Moss being hurt turned Moss into a pedestrian. :w00t:

I've always liked Norv's offensive philosophy of featuring the run and the vertical passing game...he's kind of an anti west coast guy.

I think Norv Turner would be the best candidate.

Norv "I got fired from the Raiders' Turner?

561764[/snapback]

A guy who could not run an offense with Jerry Porter/Randy Moss and

Lamant Jordan with a huge offensive line (2 1st round talent)....

No thanks....I think Norv Turners tenure in the NFL is about to end....

Russ Grimm has been a pretty good coach with the steelers....His OL

has been always big in setting up the Run....Plus he will like to play

smash mouth football rather than some stupid gadget plays that never

seem to work...

I honestly don't believe Marv is trying to do this "on the cheap."  He knows that the pressure is on to turn the Bills' ship around quickly.  Which leads me to point out another reason why Marv is such a great hire -- because Ralph trusts him implicitly.  Even if Ralph doesn't "want" to spend the bucks, if Marv tells him that's what is needed I believe he'll open the purse strings.

561679[/snapback]

yeah - that must be why they're considering Brett Maxie instead of Dom Capers

A guy who could not run an offense with Jerry Porter/Randy Moss and

Lamant Jordan with a huge offensive line (2 1st round talent)....

No thanks....I think Norv Turners tenure in the NFL is about to end....

561772[/snapback]

Moss was injured. Their OL stinks. Is Lamant Jordan even an average starter? I bet I can name 16 better RB's.

You're just figuring that out???

90% of this thread is focused on either Grimm's name, his low salary/lack of OC experience, or his Pittsburgh connection. That is simply ridiculous. This guy anchored one of the best offensive lines in NFL history, and then went on to coach one of the toughest, most physical lines in recent NFL history. ISN'T THIS EXACTLY WHAT WE'RE ALWAYS COMPLAINING WE DON'T HAVE? God forbid we bring in someone who can instill toughness in our offense and running game.

I couldn't agree more. He'd be a great choice for OC. He'd run the ball and make the line physical.

I really hope not.

I think Grimm would be an excellent addition, if he doesn't sign on as HC with the Lions.

Grimm has a reputation as one tough SOB, which is exactly what this team needs, as even MM has commented on the team's lack of mental toughness. That also happens to be why the Lions are interested in him and why he will likely wind up as their head coach, especially considering that he and Millen were once teammates.

Even if you are worried about his ability to call plays, the fact that he joins a staff with MM, Wyche, and McNally should mitigate some of those concerns.