Interview with Jim Mora Jr. on radio in ATL

He said that he talked to Mularkey about how it is impossible not to take fans criticism personally, especially when it affects your family. He said that his 11 year old son came home from school recently and was upset. He said "Dad for some reason everyone in school hates you now."

As far as Mularkey goes, he said that Mularkey told him that he has a child in elementary school in Buffalo. I guess about a week ago they had a substitute teacher in class who was taking role call and when he got to Mularkey, he said "as in the soon to be ex-coach of the Bills?" I don't know if the teacher knew that this was actually Mularkey's kid or not but Mularkey was pretty upset by this...can't say I blame him.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said that he talked to Mularkey about how it is impossible not to take fans criticism personally, especially when it affects your family.  He said that his 11 year old son came home from school recently and was upset.  He said "Dad for some reason everyone in school hates you now."

As far as Mularkey goes, he said that Mularkey told him that he has a child in elementary school in Buffalo. I guess about a week ago they had a substitute teacher in class who was taking role call and when he got to Mularkey, he said "as in the soon to be ex-coach of the Bills?"  I don't know if the teacher knew that this was actually Mularkey's kid or not but Mularkey was pretty upset by this...can't say I blame him.

559879[/snapback]

As much as I am disappointed in MM, it is totally irresponsible for anyone to drag his family into it. The same thing with TD and his family.

He said that he talked to Mularkey about how it is impossible not to take fans criticism personally, especially when it affects your family.  He said that his 11 year old son came home from school recently and was upset.  He said "Dad for some reason everyone in school hates you now."

As far as Mularkey goes, he said that Mularkey told him that he has a child in elementary school in Buffalo. I guess about a week ago they had a substitute teacher in class who was taking role call and when he got to Mularkey, he said "as in the soon to be ex-coach of the Bills?"  I don't know if the teacher knew that this was actually Mularkey's kid or not but Mularkey was pretty upset by this...can't say I blame him.

559879[/snapback]

Unless the substitute teacher also works for the Bills and knew something. Agreed, it was an insensitive statement, but that does not make it any less true.

Unless the substitute teacher also works for the Bills and knew something.  Agreed, it was an insensitive statement, but that does not make it any less true.

559887[/snapback]

He probably thought it was just someone with the same name and he thought he was being funny. If it was my kid I'd be having words with that teacher and they would probably not be very pleasant.

Fan is short for fanatic, which tells you all you need to know about expecting fans to be "sensitive" to the feelings of a coach and his family. That's the bottom line. If you're going to take a high-profile job, you have to understand this and learn to deal with it. That doesn't make it right, but it's reality.

Mularkey isn't the first coach to be ridiculed by his team's fan base. If he can't handle it, there's not a lot of hope for him, truthfully.

Unless the substitute teacher also works for the Bills and knew something.

Unless?

In which case it would be acceptable to say such a thing because it was "true"?

and people wonder why donohoe was embarrassed to be part of the community

And to make it even worse, since Mularkey is a front/center "part of the community", he can't even track the guy down and work out on him.

That would really suck.

and people wonder why donohoe was embarrassed to be part of the community...i'm telling you, people take this sh-- way to seriously.  that teacher is an assho*e

559899[/snapback]

It was an uncalled for statement, but the same B.S. happens everywhere, not just the Buff. In fact, just earlier this year, when Tommy Maddox threw that pick that was returned for a TD in OT (when Big Ben was hurt,) kids were all over Maddox's kid at school, and people even whipped a whole bunch of toilet paper into his trees and front yard.

Not saying it's right, just saying it happens everywhere. With all the job rumors, moving from city to city, and constant criticism, it cannot be easy to be an NFL coach's child, especially from the ages of 11-17, when kids can be the cruelest.

Dungy's son showed that what can be viewed from the outside as a priveledged life may not always be a bed of roses.

If Marv indeed does want to keep Mularkey, he needs to come out ASAP to show his support of him. If a legend in Buffalo thinks highly of Mularkey, it will be easier for fans to support him. Nobody in Buffalo ever was 100% behind Donahoe, but with Marv, fans would believe.

It was an uncalled for statement, but the same B.S. happens everywhere, not just the Buff. In fact, just earlier this year, when Tommy Maddox threw that pick that was returned for a TD in OT (when Big Ben was hurt,) kids were all over Maddox's kid at school, and people even whipped a whole bunch of toilet paper into his trees and front yard.

Following those "incidents", there were several published reports stating that they never actually happened and that Maddox had just made them up.

559879[/snapback]

Ouch...I'm no MM Fan...but that is completely uncalled for...Good God...You would think a Teacher, substitute or not, would know better... :doh:

Following those "incidents", there were several published reports stating that they never actually happened and that Maddox had just made them up.

559958[/snapback]

Really??? What a clown. That's pretty pathetic. Did Maddox actually fess up? I would've loved to have heard that apology.

If Marv indeed does want to keep Mularkey, he needs to come out ASAP to show his support of him.  If a legend in Buffalo thinks highly of Mularkey, it will be easier for fans to support him.  Nobody in Buffalo ever was 100% behind Donahoe, but with Marv, fans would believe.

559956[/snapback]

Agreed. The team needs to either get behind him or get rid of him. I believe that players and coaches who are considering coming to this team will be concerned about joining a lame duck coach. Players will be forced to learn a new system if he doesn't last and coaches will fear for their jobs or at least more changes. At this point Wilson and Levy need to support him 100% or let him go.

Ah yes another prime example in support of Donahoe's statement.

Anything said about Malarkey's performance to third pary sources is fair game. Anything said about Malarkey's performance to his family is just plain wrong.

If that teacher had commented to my kid about my job performance, I'd be in the school requesting an apology from that teacher or I just might take retribution myself. No sane person would think otherwise.

WAHHHHH

Cry me a river.

Get this assclown out of town on a rail.

Mularky HAS to be the least popular coach left with a job.

559985[/snapback]