Solving the BILLS problems is SIMPLE

VIPP

After reading a lot of posts, i can't help but disagree with some of the options that I'm hearing...

A few ppl have said that we need to go out and get L. Bentley© AND S. Hutchinson(OG)...LOL!!!!!!...are u kidding me. Its highly unlikely that we get hutchinson, cuz the hawks will probably franchise him, the same could be true for Bentley..however if lightinging does strike, and both become freeagents no way we get both for what they are really worth without somehow over paying and messing up our cap situation. Odds are we probably get one, and I say we got with Bentley!!...Hutch might want too much money, and remember the bills with R.Brown 5mill a year is juss too much for a OG.

Verdict- we sign Bentley

Free agency: we can bring in a couple of tier 2 players, like a Terrance Metcalf or a Stephen Neal tha we can plug into the o-line for a decent price.

Verdict- we sign a tier 2 o-lineman

As far as the draft is concerned...we take the best player available whether it be O-line or D-line with our first pick. We can plug in the player immediately, and they would hopefully be able to make an impact. Whether that becomes D'brick or Ngata doesn't matter to me..but I would like to prefer D'brick

verdict- fingers crossed we take d'brick wit our first, a Dlineman with our second, and we get a CB/S with our 3rd rounders

Bottom line our o-line problems gets solved quickly!

Scenario 1 - we sign bentley

LT- D'Brick

LG- M. Gandy or Metcalf/Neal

C- L. Bentley

*RG- MIKE WILLIAMS

RT- J. Peters

Scenario 2- bentley gets into a bidding war, and we go with hutch

LT- D'brick

LG- Hutch

C- Preston

RG- Williams

RT- Peters

The reason why i am not giving up on mike williams is b'cuz if we cut him, we take a huge hit in the cap and it simply isn't worth it. I really feel that if he loses some weight in the offseason, with his size, he's better suited for the Guard position. ANd since he has played his whole career on the right side, i think he should stay there. Villarial hasn't showed me anything, other than he's an old man and he's losing his ears(wit all those penalties he keeps taking). Preston can also use the offseason to bulk up a bit, he's got some weight in that belly, but he isn't working with any guns (those arms seemed a little flimsy to me)...so hopefully he comes into the upcoming season ready to compete

QB Situation: I think marv will agree, that JP gets the ball and its his to run with no matter what happens this season. If he fails miserably, maybe its our fault for messing around with him from the beginning...but he should get a clean slate and a new beginning.

WR Situation: we will probably lose moulds..and I HATE the sound of that. ANd i want to be clear that the next team he plays for will be officially my 2nd favourite team!! But i digress...there are a few nice WR's that might be available in the offseason. Rod Gardner is one, and he's been compared a lot to the way moulds plays. Um, David terrel, Antonio Bryant and a few other 2nd and 3rd tier players. And we keep reed

Verdict- We HAVE TO sign a FA wideout: i like Gardner

and the wideout's look like this.

WR- Evans , Parrish , Aiken,

WR- Gardner, Reed , Late draft pick

TE- Everitt and Campbell

THe cornerback situation: We franchise Clements, if a team wants him they better give something up. THis wasn't clements best season either, so i doubt he'll be getting the kind of money he hoped for at the beginning of the season. If the prices fall, i say don't franchise him, and try to bring him in cheap. We hopefully sign McGee in the offseason as well, and the 3rd round CB that I hope we draft can be plugged into the nickel situation

CB's look like

Clements, McGee, 3rd rounder, Greer/king

LineBackers: We let go of Posey, and but Crowell in his position, NOw we got

Takeo, Fletch, Crowell

DLINE- We keep Adams happy, and hopefully the 2nd round DL or the 1st rounder will be able to be plugged in and make an impact..

And thats it...

If those changes are made this is a 8-8 team for sure...9-7 if we get lucky

Yeah, real "simple" fix. Too many "if's" and assumptions.

First of all fixing the Oline with a 2nd tier free agent is exactly what we've been doing. See Chris V. and Bennie A.

You mention keeping Mike Williams for cap reasons. That'd be the reason we might have to cut him, because his hit is too big. If you plan on re-signing him, you better hope he restructures BIG time otherwise you're forced to cut him. You'd free up enough space to notice a difference.

Regarding the QB's: "I think marv will agree, that JP gets the ball" - I disagree. Levy's known to go with the veteran until the young guy proves himself. MM will most certainly want to go with Holcomb, because the veterans tell him what to do. I doubt JP starts even if he faired well in the supposed QB competition we'll see in the summer.

We'll have a much better shot at Ngata at the draft. And I'd much rather see us pick up the best available DT because we desperately need one especially if Adams' plans on packing his bags. I'm skeptical about drafting a top 10 offensive lineman, and not even because of Mike Williams.

Cutting Mike Williams is going to be a lock.  He's fat, he's lazy, he's constantly injured, and he saves us 4.9 million bucks if we release him.  We could get THREE players who play at MW's level for that money.

558397[/snapback]

hmm

i think a cut and re sign or a renegotiation of his contract and keeping him at RT is likely

i think we take in some young O linemen and have peters/Gandy at LT and bring in hutch/le'charles.

the main thing for me is that we can get better value with a top DL in the 1st and solid OL in the 2nd and 3rd than the other way around

Hold on, Gardner to replace Moulds?

I hope you are kidding? Eric Moulds will remain a Bill, for a simple reason, he knows he can redo his contract, where the end result is the same, and he is still the number 1 WR, and he doesn't have to go anywhere. I would on top of that sign Peerless Price, say what you want but in Buffalo he was good, if he doesn't pan out, release him, but he is better than Aiken.

I think we can get our starting LT in the 2nd, Colledge is very good, athletic and stronger than D'Brick, get Ngata in the first and DC in the 2nd, sign Bentley. I like the idea of moving Williams over, but only if he is willing to basically work his contract in the same way that Moulds will, where he doesn't hurt the team.

and I believe the best situation for the TE spot is to sign Matt Schobel, who has the speed to get deep on a safety or LB and works hard at blocking-it's just not great. I firmly believe that a TE that is a threat in the passing game is a better blocker, only because the covering LB has to respect the pass, and can't cheat up.

We could get THREE players who play at MW's level for that money.

558397[/snapback]

Who are those three players?

I don't disagree with what you said about what Williams hasn't done, but the free agency period ain't what it used to be. Teams don't get buried with unmanageable cap debt like they used to and because the cap has risen dramatically in recent years, teams have plenty of room to re-sign their guys. Very few quality players ever hit free agency anymore, and 5 years ago, interior lineman like Bentley and Hutchinson would very likely have been allowed to shop their skills, but it's much less likely nowadays.

That said, what good does saving cap money do if there is nobody to spend it on? In recent years, we've been the farm team, giving up Pat Williams, Jonas Jennings and Antoine Winfield. Are those guys deserving to be paid what they get? Not IMO, but times are different. Free agency is increasingly a sellers market and the cost of winning football games goes up every time that cap figure goes up. The edge gained by being frugal, is also lessened each time that figure goes up.

I think what all of this had lead to is one thing: coaching is far more important now than ever. You have to take yours and beat theirs, and vice versa. Coaching. It's just too competitive a market for talent to try to out-talent everybody like the Bills did back in the Polian years.

I think what all of this had lead to is one thing:  coaching is far more important now than ever.  You have to take yours and beat theirs, and vice versa.  Coaching.  It's just too competitive a market for talent to try to out-talent everybody like the Bills did back in the Polian years.

558536[/snapback]

Amen...Absolutely agree...

And the main reason why my pet slogan has me worried a bit...The slogan is, as best I can recall; MM in 2006=Doomed...or something like that...

Just my opinion though... :D

Cutting Mike Williams is going to be a lock.  He's fat, he's lazy, he's constantly injured, and he saves us 4.9 million bucks if we release him.  We could get THREE players who play at MW's level for that money.

558397[/snapback]

Yeah, and all three would be overpaid because Mike Williams sucks ass.

You want to solve the Bills problems? Start by hiring back Greg Williams. His team looks great. And Joe Gibbs knows when he has a good one. Any poster disagreeing with that, go talk to Gibbs and let him give you an education about football

You want to solve the Bills problems?  Start by hiring back Greg Williams.  His team looks great.  And Joe Gibbs knows when he has a good one.  Any poster disagreeing with that, go talk to Gibbs and let him give you an education about football

558583[/snapback]

Yeah, but he was terrible as the HC in Buffalo. Some coaches are amazing coordinators, but make horrible HC's.

558397[/snapback]

Yet, a motivated Mike Williams and a rengotiated contract might be our best option if he can agree to a number that will make him far more cap friendly.

Down the stretch last year he was looking pretty decent and seemed only a few steps away from being dominant in the run game especially. Yet, as we are all aware, he regressed tremendously. Injuries? Maybe. Conditioning? Supposedly he was in better shape for this years start of camp so who knows. Lack of fire seems to be the general perception and I can't say I've seen anything else that would otherwise contradict it.

He's already been quoted as knowing the Bills will want to re-do his deal, so maybe....

The again, maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Hold on, Gardner to replace Moulds?

I hope you are kidding?  Eric Moulds will remain a Bill, for a simple reason, he knows he can redo his contract, where the end result is the same, and he is still the number 1 WR, and he doesn't have to go anywhere. 

558479[/snapback]

I think that we should keep Moulds until he is 80 or thereabouts. He will always be the "number 1 receiver." I don't care if Evans is younger and twice as fast. It makes zero difference that the Bills invested the 14th pick of a draft in taking LE. If Moulds spits at other players or gets himself suspended again, big deal!

My point is that Eric should remain on the team forever regardless of age, rapidly fading skills, cost, nor attitude. It would be silly to even attempt to replace an old, slowing malcontent even if he will count 10.85 million towards our salary cap in 06.

Eric should stay right here for at least another 30 years.

Yet, a motivated Mike Williams and a rengotiated contract might be our best option if he can agree to a number that will make him far more cap friendly.

Down the stretch last year he was looking pretty decent and seemed only a few steps away from being dominant in the run game especially. Yet, as we are all aware, he regressed tremendously. Injuries? Maybe. Conditioning? Supposedly he was in better shape for this years start of camp so who knows. Lack of fire seems to be the general perception and I can't say I've seen anything else that would otherwise contradict it.

He's already been quoted as knowing the Bills will want to re-do his deal, so maybe....

The again, maybe I'm grasping at straws.

558768[/snapback]

Mike Williams is another player that we should keep by all means. OK, he IS the highest paid RT in NFL history and he stinks. Yes, he is a fat slob with issue after issue, BUT, we should at the very least let him finish out his cap crushing contract.

Why cut him and free up 5 mil. this year and 7 more in 07 which could be used to attract good football players?! No, he needs to stay and sort out whatever it is that prevents him from being a good football player, regardless of salary cap impact. It is also good for team morale for him to be the highest paid Bill, or at least one would think.

In the meantime, Marv should be thinking of a way to lock him up to a long term deal.

I think as fans we are way too concerned about the cap and because of it, keep applauding signing "second tier" talent while passing up top free agents like Corey Simon.

Let Marv worry about the cap, I want talent, guys who can play. I'd rather pay a guy 2 mil who is worth 1.8 who can play than pay a guy 1 mil who isn't worth the price of a basket of wings. Just because a guy comes cheap doesn't mean you haven't overpaid for him. I can't count the number of times Donahoe was hailed as a genius for "not overpaying" for players. Of course he is an unemployed genius now.

I think as fans we are way too concerned about the cap and because of it, keep applauding signing "second tier" talent while passing up top free agents like Corey Simon.

Let Marv worry about the cap, I want talent, guys who can play.  I'd rather pay a guy 2 mil who is worth 1.8 who can play than pay a guy 1 mil who isn't worth the price of a basket of wings.  Just because a guy comes cheap doesn't mean you haven't overpaid for him.  I can't count the number of times Donahoe was hailed as a genius for "not overpaying" for players.  Of course he is an unemployed genius now.

558825[/snapback]

I agree, but to TD's credit, the Bills DO have cap room AND the ability to overspend on a good player if need be.

I don't think that TD's cap management was a factor in what ledto his demise as GM.

Not at all.