Will Marv Look at M. Milliams the same way

Bruce had all the right tools but no motivation when Marv took over as head coach. He turned BS's game around... Can he do the same thing for Mike Williams?

Food for thought?  :D

or wishfull thinking?  :unsure:

558268[/snapback]

IMO the main problem with MW's injuries is that he is too heavy for his legs to support the demands of the game. If he can get in shape/lose weight I think he can still be a force. The motivation for this has to come from within, not from Marv or anyone else. This off season is critical, Mike has to be the one to decide if he wants to turn his career around.

IMO the main problem with MW's injuries is that he is too heavy for his legs to support the demands of the game.  If he can get in shape/lose weight I think he can still be a force.  The motivation for this has to come from within, not from Marv or anyone else.  This off season is critical, Mike has to be the one to decide if he wants to turn his career around.

558279[/snapback]

This could be a direct result of the Strength and Conditioning coach.

558286[/snapback]

To an extent I agree, you wouldn't taylor the same exercise routine to Roscoe Parrish and Mike Williams. If you do one or both are going to get injured. I'm just saying following the routine is up to the individual. If the S/C coach has you on a high protien / fiber diet and you you eat pizza and wings at home can't blame the coach. Same is true for working out. Its hard work to stay in shape. If coach has given you an off season routine of cardio 5 days a week and weight lifting 4, and you do cardio 3 days a week and lift 2, you won't realize your potential. This has largely been the case with big Mike IMO.

IMHO .......... the situation with Sam Adams and Bruce Smith are closer than the Smith/Williams situation.

I think what Marv did with Smith was to develop a defensive gameplan/philosophy/personality that played to Bruce's strengths, then made Bruce understand that with his level of talent, this system would make him a star ... while I don't feel Sam Adams will ever reach the level of Bruce Smith ... I do think Sam can be very VERY disruptive if he were used properly.

I also think, with Mike Williams ...... there needs to be some butt kicking by the conditioning coach, some ego smoothing by the head coach, and some confidence rebuilding (who I think Marv would excell at).

I totally whiffed on this post! I assumed that you were talking about Mario Williams. I think I read too much into this. Actually, I do believe that Marv will see hints of Bruce in Mario Williams, to complete my thought! Probably a case of looking ahead as opposed to looking behind....

Bruce had all the right tools but no motivation when Marv took over as head coach. He turned BS's game around... Can he do the same thing for Mike Williams?

Food for thought?  :D

or wishfull thinking?  :unsure:

558268[/snapback]

When did Bruce Smith have a bad year? I didn't think he ever did. I'd like to see Mike take a maximum paycut and try to play one more year with the Bills. With Marv leading the way, I would take the chance.

I totally whiffed on this post! I assumed that you were talking about Mario Williams.

I was wondering if I was the only who wasn't sure whether he meant Mike or Mario until I opened the thread. :D

I think what Marv did with Smith was to develop a defensive gameplan/philosophy/personality that played to Bruce's strengths

558338[/snapback]

I'm starting to think Marv is actually Chuck Norris. I guess I'm getting old, because I lived thru Marv's ENTIRE Bills coaching career, and he didn't do even half of the things he's being given credit for.

Marv was a hands-off delegator with regard to the offense and defense. His assistants ran their units with little interference from Marv. He hired some good ones and he hired even more bad ones. Check his coaching tree. None of Marv's coaches EVER became a HC (Wade and Marchibroda had already been HC's prior to working for Marv).

His teams are remembered for resiliency, but compared to the top teams of today, they were downright lazy and won a lot of games where they didn't come to play and routinely played down to their level of competition. One of his tactics was to not practice a lot in pads during the season and go very easy on players in camp, which gave them fresh legs during the season, but when they met the big hitters from the NFC on Super Bowl Sunday, their lack of physicality and focus was painfully obvious.

Fortunately, perception is reality in the NFL. Marv got into the HOF. To quote Marv, "if you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep till' noon". He has become that guy. If you get the people who work for you to buy into your program you are way ahead of the game. That has to be our hope with regard to Marv as GM. Gotta' hope they drink the Kool Aid this time.

Bruce's problem was more attitude than motivation.

Bruce had a fire in his belly that Marv was able to kindle

Mike Williams doesn't have room in his belly for fire, its too full of junk food

558299[/snapback]

Bruce Smith was pretty heavy when he came into the league- over 300 pounds. Bruce at his best was around 265. He certainly learned conditioning as he got older. I recall reading an SI article on Bruce. He broke many stairmasters from riding them too hard and would sniff peanuts offered to him on flights but never eat them. Bruce learned to become very disclipined

Marv was a hands-off delegator with regard to the offense and defense.  His assistants ran their units with little interference from Marv.  He hired some good ones and he hired even more bad ones.  Check his coaching tree.  None of Marv's coaches EVER became a HC (Wade and Marchibroda had already been HC's prior to working for Marv). 

558588[/snapback]

Bullseye. I've been calling Marv the great delegator all week. Gameday genius, he was not. That's my only hope for Mularkey. The right OC and DC are hired and he stays the F#*K out of the way on gameday, outside of screaming at the Refs.

Bullseye. I've been calling Marv the great delegator all week. Gameday genius, he was not. That's my only hope for Mularkey. The right OC and DC are hired and he stays the F#*K out of the way on gameday, outside of screaming at the Refs.

558596[/snapback]

[/quote

Double bullseye! The Bills immediate success will depend on the quality of the OC and DC(assuming Gray is gone) hires. I'd lke to see Ralph spend as much on them as he is on Mularkey. Then I'd feel a whole lot better.

Bruce Smith was pretty heavy when he came into the league- over 300 pounds.  Bruce at his best was around 265.  He certainly learned conditioning as he got older.  I recall reading an SI article on Bruce.  He broke many stairmasters from riding them too hard and would sniff peanuts offered to him on flights but never eat them.  Bruce learned to become very disclipined

558589[/snapback]

Bruce's game was NOT turned around by Marv. Believe it or not it was Hank Bullough who put "the sails in his wind". :D Seriously it was HB who rode him about his conditioning, and Bruce had his break out year in 1986 with 15 sacks under Hank, or at least as long as HB lasted that season

558286[/snapback]

The only problem with that, is Mike Williams (Buffalo Bills LT) came into the 2005 training camp in the best shape of his career. He had cut his body fat down noticably, and was "cut", by his previous standards. I think his problems are likely more mental than physical.

Remember how Rob Johnson used to get hurt, whenever it seemed there was external pressure on him? I am thinking this could be MW's mode of dealing with things too...some people are just wired that way. When the going gets tough, or they are challanged to hard, they look for a way out. I will bet everyone here has worked with someone like that at some point. I really think that someone like Levy could be a very positive influence on Williams. Williams is a good kid, but he needs to be a more mentally tough good guy....