Mularkey just turned the screws up a notch

DeeRay

Mularkey barred the press from the players yesterday. In doing so, at least to the local press, it might appear to be retribution for all of the negative (albeit accurate and true) press the team has been receiving. This can't make the press happy and will only serve to piss off these local press guys. So, unless the Bills make a dramatic turnaround, Mularkey can expect the press to turn up the heat even more on this team.

I don't think Mularkey has a clue as to what he's gotten himself into as HC under Donahoe and I think he's clueless as to what he's gotten himself into with the Bills press as well. Mularkey needs to pick his battles wisely, and shutting out the press this early in his first HC job and after two horrible offensive performances, is not a good call on his part. What he needs to do is to stop talking about all of the mistakes and start benching the players that are responsible for the miscues. Until he does that, he's not going to get the attention and respect of the players that a winning HC must have. And he certainly isn't going to make friends with the press or fans if this continues.

I like the move actually. It deflects all the critics and their comments directly to him. It's a focus on me not them move.

39523[/snapback]

I concur.

I wonder if the rumblings in KC had anything to do with the decision or if it was made independently. One of the DEs for the Chiefs really went off on a reporter who asked if the player thought that enough had been done to bolster the defense. Obviously the question here would go to an offensive player.

Very strange and curious move...and frankly, an indicator of a very POOR head coach.

Think about it....TWO games in to his career and two losses in a row and he is already got the team taking on a "bunker mentality"?

This is a clear indication that Mularkey either does not want to, or worse, cannot handle the pressure of being a head coach in the NFL.

Troubling.

I'd say it's more of an indication that the rampant negativity has gone way overboard, and has turned from constructive reporting to yellow journalism. Media entities who have no real understanding of the game making claims about positions on the team that they have no idea how to evaluate. Evaluating a qb is one thing, but things have leaked well beyond that.

Mularkey's problem isn't the press.  Its the the pressure.

39590[/snapback]

Mularkey's problem is that he is saddled with DB. It was a package deal when he signed on to be the HC.

TD....You want to be the next head coach of the Bills?

MM....Yes sir!

TD....DB will be your QB for at least a year are you OK with that?

MM....NO FUGGIN' WAY!

TD....I'll ask one more time...DB will be your QB for at least a year are you OK with that?

MM....I guess so, where do I sign?

TD....That's more like it. Now get out there and start "fixing" DB!

It's a great move. Basically you've got a bunch of idiots in the press trolling for bad quotes so they can write a nasty story. They'll bother the players until they get one.

The job of the press is to be objective in it's reporting. Currently, some aren't doing that. Some are editorializing and creating a situation that could be unhealthy for the team.

It also allows the team members to concentrate on football without worrying about what they'll say to the press.

Some of you guys are like vultures just waiting to hate the coach no matter what he does.  I think MM will be a very good coach.  He's saddled with a crap QB and a bad O-line and he has to work his way through it.  He'll be fine.

39654[/snapback]

Whose fault is that? Did MM misjudge Drew's ability? Did McNally misjudge the talent he had to work with? Did TD not put together a very good team? Somebody is at fault, and I think MM is afraid the press will find the culprit.

Maybe MM just sees that this team needs a kick on the ass, and making this move will get the players attention, and the timing IMO is good too...during a bye week, especially when you consider the next game is virtually a must-win if the Bills want any chance of being in the post-season, they cannot afford to fall to 0-3 in the AFC.