John Clayton:

Rico

The Great Gazoo Speaks

The Eric Moulds suspension -- that isn't quite a suspension right now -- appears to be poorly handled on the surface. Bills coach Mike Mularkey apparently told Moulds that he is going to be suspended for taking himself out of the game during the second half of Sunday's loss to the Dolphins. Moulds was upset because he wasn't having passes thrown his way. Lee Evans was getting all of the action. Over the past couple of months, Moulds' role has been lessened in the offense. He caught 29 passes in October and 17 in November. Bills quarterback J.P. Losman tends to look more toward Evans than Moulds. There was also a thought that Moulds had a sore Achilles.

The reason this is handled poorly is the apparent indecisiveness of the situation. Either he's suspended or not suspended. Moulds and his agent, Harry Henderson, will meet with owner Ralph Wilson, who is a big supporter of Moulds. A coach should have the power to suspend a player if he thinks the conduct is detrimental. The problem facing Mularkey is Moulds is a leader on the team and popular among his teammates. Mularkey recently had a run-in with defensive tackle Sam Adams and suddenly Adams playing time diminished. Not a good situation for Mularkey. Moulds is expected to be released after the season, but suddenly, these crises could affect Mularkey's status.

I think MM is handling it well. He first said ' EM and I ahve talked' , then he suspends him for a week. He did not go public abt all his discussions. What more can you ask for ?

524687[/snapback]

You don't expect much out of MM if you think he's handled this "well".

I think MM is handling it well. He first said ' EM and I ahve talked' , then he suspends him for a week. He did not go public abt all his discussions. What more can you ask for ?

524687[/snapback]

Except that's not what happened. Mularkey excused him from practice for two days, and there are rumors that he will be deactivated Sunday. it sounds like Mularkey wants to suspend Moulds but needs Ralph's permission first.

Except that's not what happened.  Mularkey excused him from practice for two days, and there are rumors that he will be deactivated Sunday.  it sounds like Mularkey wants to suspend Moulds but needs Ralph's permission first.

524713[/snapback]

And top it off with Mularkey then stating that he the word "suspension" has never come up. It sounds like he wanted to suspend him, found out that Ralph might not go for it and then backed off it for fear of looking like a coach with no power.

I can't believe his agent's name is Harry Henderson.  How big of a coincidence is that? For those who don't know what I mean, think about the movie "Harry and the Hendersons."  The one where John Lithgow lives with Sasquatch.

524721[/snapback]

And Lithgow was Born in Rochester...

Which has nothing to do with anything... :)

Bickering Bills Pt 2? it's been going on for a few years now

524710[/snapback]

Nothing on this scale, at least out in public.

I'm closer to 40 than 30. I remember the lean times as a kid, the really fun times as a young adult, and now the suck years.

I don't feel good about this team. I don't feel good about its direction and leadership. I will predict that if Donahoe returns next year as the GM that the season ticket sales will plummet at least 20%.

Less season tickets sold = more blackouts + a higher chance the Bills will relocate.

Donahoe must go if anything for the long term future of this team in WNY. Seriously. This is a very bad time for this team to look so bad.

this whole situation reminds me of 1994 when a new coach named Mario Tremblay who's only experience in the NHL was as a player and a radio host got hired, disliked Patrick Roy and the management chose Mario Tremblay over a guy who won two stanley cups single handedly, who went on to win another 2 with a new team. Till this day they still talk about that trade on the radio... my guess is Moulds did not win any championships with the bills but in this Nfl of little loyalty, it brings back the same memories.

Of course Clayton thinks this has been handled poorly. He "broke" the story that Moulds was going to be suspended, and not it's probably not true. It makes him (Clayton) look like a bad reporter.

From this blurb, it seems like Clayton has gotten all his facts wrong. Moulds is on record as getting into a fight with Tolbert about Aiken going in instead of him. Contrary to what Clayton says, this had nothing to do with Lee Evans catching balls. This was a bad piece of reporting, and now Clayton wants to criticize Mularkey to save face.

Of course Clayton thinks this has been handled poorly. He "broke" the story that Moulds was going to be suspended, and not it's probably not true. It makes him (Clayton) look like a bad reporter.

From this blurb, it seems like Clayton has gotten all his facts wrong. Moulds is on record as getting into a fight with Tolbert about Aiken going in instead of him. Contrary to what Clayton says, this had nothing to do with Lee Evans catching balls. This was a bad piece of reporting, and now Clayton wants to criticize Mularkey to save face.

524797[/snapback]

This seems to happen all too often with Clayton doesn't it?

Good post.