Mort Chat

Rico

John (Buffalo): Mort....is there any rumors or fallout in the wake of the Bills debacle at San Diego about Tom Donahoe??? I assume Mike Williams will not be with the Bills next year...is he possibly the biggest bust for an O-Lineman in the past 20 yrs???

Chris Mortensen: First of all, there are not rumors about Tom Donahoe. I still hear other personnel folks around the league saying the Bills have enough talent to be a playoff team. They had 10 starters returning on maybe the top defense in football. Who would have anticipated that Drew Brees would have a career day against them? Nobody! That falls on the coaches and players for one day. As for Mike Williams, he is clearly a huge bust, but he was projected by everybody in that draft to be a top 5 or 7 pick.

John (Buffalo): Mort....is there any rumors or fallout in the wake of the Bills debacle at San Diego about Tom Donahoe??? I assume Mike Williams will not be with the Bills next year...is he possibly the biggest bust for an O-Lineman in the past 20 yrs???

Chris Mortensen: First of all, there are not rumors about Tom Donahoe. I still hear other personnel folks around the league saying the Bills have enough talent to be a playoff team. They had 10 starters returning on maybe the top defense in football. Who would have anticipated that Drew Brees would have a career day against them? Nobody! That falls on the coaches and players for one day. As for Mike Williams, he is clearly a huge bust, but he was projected by everybody in that draft to be a top 5 or 7 pick.

511183[/snapback]

I think by reading those quotes it is painfully obvious Mort is a good friend of TD. Everything is coming up roses.

I think by reading those quotes it is painfully obvious Mort is a good friend of TD. Everything is coming up roses.

511199[/snapback]

If so, then TD thinks MW is clearly a huge bust, and the OL moves since bye week make more sense.

If so, then TD thinks MW is clearly a huge bust, and the OL moves since bye week make more sense.

511204[/snapback]

I think it's a lot easier for a guy in Mort's position to come out and say those things than it would be for TD. I don't fall for the "public responses" TD makes to fans every week. I'm sure in private he's says Williams is a fat bust.

I think it's a lot easier for a guy in Mort's position to come out and say those things than it would be for TD. I don't fall for the "public responses" TD makes to fans every week. I'm sure in private he's says Williams is a fat bust.

511212[/snapback]

Re:Mort, I agree. And if TD feels that way in private, then we can pretty much confirm that MW is gone next year.

I for one like Mort- maybe its becuase he usually has something good to say about the Bills. Jaws is another one and because he is from Lackawanna he also talks highly of the Bills on national tv. Then ofcourse Boomer (Berman) not Esiason makes it known he is a huge fan. "Nobody circles the wagons" made famous by Berman is still my favorite quote.

511183[/snapback]

Totally agreethat it was coaching... We were blatantly outcoached that game

Chris Mortensen: First of all, there are not rumors about Tom Donahoe. I still hear other personnel folks around the league saying the Bills have enough talent to be a playoff team.

511183[/snapback]

Were these comments made with or without the hard liquor?

My guess was with.

I read that earlier.  If he and TD are still tight, it spells the end for some players and some coaches.

511305[/snapback]

Interesting insight, since in SI this week they make the "bust" comparison btwn Tony M and Fat Mike.

I believe mike has the skills, it just seems like he doesnt have the motivation. At this level, you have to have the killer insstinct in order to survive, much less excel.

I have not seen this discussed here much but I have always wondered why TD signed Mularkey to a 5 year deal. I always felt that was too long especially considering this was MM first time as head coach.

511429[/snapback]

Probably because all the club seats and suites were renewed at the same time that Mularkey signed. You had to sign on for 3 or 5 years. The revenue the Bills collect from luxury seating makes up over half of their total revenue at the stadium. This way, if Mularkey does well...he stays the full 5, since he hasn't and it will be renewal time at the end of next season...Donahoe will tell Ralph to eat the remaining 2 years and fire Mularkey next year so that it looks "progressive" and people will renew.

I see very little chance he gets fired at the end of this year since next year is still locked up $ for Ralph. If no playoffs next year...bye-bye.

Donahoe will tell Ralph to eat the remaining 2 years and fire Mularkey next year so that it looks "progressive" and people will renew.

512959[/snapback]

The day TD tells RW to fire MM, he will be the first one to be fired by RW.