Which is the MOST true?

Which of these statements is the MOST true regardless of how many or how of them you agree with  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these statements is the MOST true regardless of how many or how of them you agree with

• We must keep Nate Clements at all costs because there is not a chance in hell that Terrence McGee will ever be the player that Nate is.
    • Remarkably, and out of nowhere, Terrence McGee in his first three plus seasons is a better player than Nate Clements in his first 3.25 seasons, counting plays made, bonehead plays made, big plays, turnovers, tackling, total defensive play, and returning the ball. (Remember, this says in their first 3.25 seasons and not overall)
    • I first thought we had better tie up Nate Clements because he is a shutdown corner and one of the best in the league, but lately Terrence McGee is becoming close to Nate as a total DB, cover man and a tackler, doesn't make the mistakes and is simply the best return man in the league. Nate may be bigger but Mcgee is almost as good right now.
    • I never thought I'd say it but frankly, counting his playmaking AND return abilities, Terrence Mcgee is slightly a better overall player than Nate Clements is right now, and he is the one we need to lock up, as it will probably be cheaper.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it really doesn't depend on how much better Clements is than McGee. I think if we can find another CB as good as McGee (or if Eric King develops into a good player) for cheap, then goodbye Nate. If the alternative is starting a Chris Watson type player opposite McGee, then I guess you have to break the bank for Clements.

I really don't want to see Clements go, because I think he is a really good young corner. However, I will understand it given that his demands will be huge.

McGee, on the other hand, I will be extremely pissed if the Bills let him slip away. He's a player who seems to be coming in to his own, and I think the window of opportunity to extend him cheaply is closing.

To me it really doesn't depend on how much better Clements is than McGee.  I think if we can find another CB as good as McGee (or if Eric King develops into a good player) for cheap, then goodbye Nate.  If the alternative is starting a Chris Watson type player opposite McGee, then I guess you have to break the bank for Clements.

478449[/snapback]

I don't think that is the problem we will face. Look at the Winfield situation. TD decided, most people agreed, and it turned out to be true, that AW was a very good player but was going to ask for and receive more than he was worth. So we let him go. We simply went out and signed a Troy Vincent for (approximately) 20 mil instead of 35 mil, and we'd likely do it again if we don't resign Nate. We're not going to sign a Chris Watson or just rely on Eric King and Jabari Greer. We'd very, very likely go out and sign a Vincent kind of corner, in both talent and cash.

E) None of the Above.

We shoud keep both. This doesn't mean we should keep Nate at *all* costs...

Nate Clements and Terrence McGee are better than Terrence McGee and *rookie*... McGee isn't playing the #1 WR... I'm not saying he couldn't... but we aren't comparing apples to apples.

On the other note, I do NOT like that we have both our starting corners being return men - even with McGee being an awesome kick returner... It's just too easy to lose someone to injury on ST.

I don't think that is the problem we will face. Look at the Winfield situation. TD decided, most people agreed, and it turned out to be true, that AW was a very good player but was going to ask for and receive more than he was worth. So we let him go. We simply went out and signed a Troy Vincent for (approximately) 20 mil instead of 35 mil, and we'd likely do it again if we don't resign Nate. We're not going to sign a Chris Watson or just rely on Eric King and Jabari Greer. We'd very, very likely go out and sign a Vincent kind of corner, in both talent and cash.

478466[/snapback]

In that case goodbye Nate and hello line upgrade (either side).

I'd like somebody younger than Vincent though. Most of the black guys on our D seem to be pretty old.

Clements is always on the #1 receiver. If McGee were always on the #1 receiver, he may not look as effective as he does now. I'd still want to lock up Nate, because most games he owns the #1 receiver.

Still, I'm greedy. I vote for locking both up...

478457[/snapback]

While that is absolutely true right now, and we couldn't necessarily count on McGee to shut down #1 wide receivers the way Nate can right now, there are things in McGee's game that tell me it's possible. I didn't think anyone could compete with Nate physically because of his combintion of size and speed and quicks and strength. But watching him, McGee is everything Nate is except two inches shorter and doesn't make the monster hits. He has tremendous closing speed, as good as Clements already, and he uses it. He has great hands. He is a playmaker without self-proclaiming himself to be. He is always around the ball. He stops quick and breaks on the ball quick. He has very good fundamentals tackling and isn't afraid to stick his snoot into the fray. He doesn't take a lot of risks and doesn't get routinely burned like he used to. Nate is surely a better cornerback to me as of now but McGee is closing the gap very fast, doesn't make the mistakes and is an absolutely spellbinding return man. I think a year from now, we could be saying that Terrence McGee is a shut down corner, and will be at the point in his career that Nate is now (in years).

E)  None of the Above.

We shoud keep both.  This doesn't mean we should keep Nate at *all* costs...

Nate Clements and Terrence McGee are better than Terrence McGee and *rookie*...  McGee isn't playing the #1 WR...  I'm not saying he couldn't...  but we aren't comparing apples to apples.

On the other note, I do NOT like that we have both our starting corners being return men - even with McGee being an awesome kick returner...  It's just too easy to lose someone to injury on ST.

478471[/snapback]

Understood. I am finding it increasingly difficult to imagine that we will be able to re-sign both. They are too friggin' good. I never expected McGee to be this good. On the other point, I think Fast Freddie has become the #1 PR man and will remain so, until perhaps Parrish takes it over, and that Nate will just get one once in awhile. Smith is pretty good already, a huge threat every time he touches it and IMO as good as Clements is as a PR.

Not to quibble, but isn't this only McGee's third season (meaning he's played 2+ not 3+)? Right now, he's my favorite player on the team (not saying he's the best - though he's getting closer).

478481[/snapback]

Yes, it is. My mistake. I definitely think he is as good an overall player (because he's sooooo very good on returns) than Nate was a year and a half ago. Cannot flat out cover as well though. And Nate was a year younger coming out of school, so Nate is only a year older than Terrence.

Add your observations and comments on the specifics of the poll questions here, as well how many of the four, if any, you agree with.

478430[/snapback]

The Bills have a good chance to re-sign both Nate and Terrence so long they franchise Nate. As we would then have right of refusal with both (being Terrence is due to be a RFA). As good as Terrence looks I think is Nate far and away better in terms of coverage as evident by the way teams seeming throw more to the WRs on McGees side. That said McGee more than proves his worth as a return man. I think Clements' contract could be signed if we choose to release Eric Moulds which given he has definately lost a step and the hopes Evans does develop into a #1 WR. I would think we should be able to re-sign McGee for at most backloaded deal starting at $1 million the first few years and then hitting multi millions in the 3rd and 4th years.

:blink: I am sorry I busted your stones at the Miami Game. Your poll is really quite original and creative.

You expressed a thought that has been niggling at the back of my beer soaked brain for the last three games. McGee is a genuine playmaker and an all out sort of player. Clements is a more selfish player and does not apear to be willing to sacrafice his body on every play. Peace :D

The Bills have a good chance to re-sign both Nate and Terrence so long they franchise Nate. As we would then have right of refusal with both (being Terrence is due to be a RFA). As good as Terrence looks I think is Nate far and away better in terms of coverage as evident by the way teams seeming throw more to the WRs on McGees side. That said McGee more than proves his worth as a return man. I think Clements' contract could be signed if we choose to release Eric Moulds which given he has definately lost a step and the hopes Evans does develop into a #1 WR.  I would think we should be able to re-sign McGee for at most backloaded deal starting at $1 million the first few years and then hitting multi millions in the 3rd and 4th years.

478657[/snapback]

Jokeman, are you working on the draft yet? :D

Sorry, but I gotta disagree with you about what it would cost to renegotiate the contract of McGee.

The price of CBs has skyrocketed in the last few years. McGee is improving at CB, and he is one of the fastest men in the NFL from what I have seen. On kickoff returns, he is simply off the charts.

I am not up on the cost of signing RFAs in terms of compensatory draft picks (and would appreciate if some who does know would post it), but I see a strong possibility of another team offering big bucks to a healthy McGee. Again, I think that this is how Parcells got Curtis Martin from NE.

I care about the draft more than most because I believe it is the true way to build a football team, but what would you rather have, McGee or a late 1st round pick? He really might get some offer sheets as a RFA. :blink:

I could easily be quite wrong here, but I think that it would take "Schobel money" to get this kid to lock in for 5 years, because if he waits a year, GMS will be tripping over each other trying to sign him.

McGee is a player that the Bills cannot afford to lose.