Some Facts about Kelly Holcomb

AKC

In a Wildcard Playoff against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003, Kelly Holcomb threw for the third most passing yards in NFL postseason history.

A) His running game featured William Green, a career disappointment who has even today never run for 1000 yards in a season over his career.

B) He was throwing to a receiving corps of Kevin Johnson, Dennis Northcut, Quincy Morgan plus our very own Mark Campbell at TE.

C) He was protected by an offensive line consisting of Ryan Tucker, Paul Zakauskas, a twilight Dave Wohlabaugh, Ross Verba and Barry Stokes. (Lori- feel free to correct me here)

D) It was Holcomb’s first start in 14 games for the Browns.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a Wildcard Playoff against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003, Kelly Holcomb threw for the third most passing yards in NFL postseason history.

A) His running game featured William Green, a career disappointment who has even today never run for 1000 yards in a season over his career.

B) He was throwing to a receiving corps of Kevin Johnson, Dennis Northcut, Quincy Morgan plus our very own Mark Campbell at TE.

C) He was protected by an offensive line consisting of Ryan Tucker, Paul Zakauskas, a twilight Dave Wohlabaugh, Ross Verba and Barry Stokes. (Lori- feel free to correct me here)

467970[/snapback]

I'm more interested in his career totals, thanks.

One game, BFD. Let's see what the stiff Holcomb has done his whole NFL career.

One game, BFD.

467976[/snapback]

One game- exactly- the one this coming Sunday is the important game to me.

That makes the history of how he can play being thrown into the pressure cooker important. At least we know he's played good ball before under even more trying circumstances.

Exactly. You can pull out one of Bledsoe's early games here and use that to justify why he should still be the starter in Buffalo.

You have to look at the whole to see the sum of the parts. And right now, these parts are adding up to a whole lot of mess.

Exactly.  You can pull out one of Bledsoe's early games here and use that to justify why he should still be the starter in Buffalo. 

You have to look at the whole to see the sum of the parts.  And right now, these parts are adding up to a whole lot of mess.

467984[/snapback]

OK, you all seem to agree we can weigh Mr. Losman's career stats as an important and critical part of the debate.

467976[/snapback]

If you interpolate the average based on the career stats, it's still better than what we've been getting

here ya go

Nope. Because JP hasn't had a career yet. In a rookie's case, you have to weigh his potential not his past. If we had a superbowl team now, I may agree with you about dumping JP. But we clearly are not a Superbowl team. So why not let the kid develop and waste a year to have a brighter future?

Nope.  Because JP hasn't had a career yet.  In a rookie's case, you have to weigh his potential not his past.     If we had a superbowl team now, I may agree with you about dumping JP.  But we clearly are not a Superbowl team.  So why not let the kid develop and waste a year to have a brighter future?

467999[/snapback]

Throw away opportunity for potential? Not this fan. Opportunity is fleeting, potential is omnipresent.

Win football games. Now.

The admin at OBD pretty much threw away our oppurtunity for potential when they named a virtual rookie as our starter back in Feb. All I'm saying is lets follow through and see how could he can be before we throw him aside.

So, since it's his first NFL start in a while, should we expect him to light it up? And, will the bottom line change? Even though Holcomb had a great game, his team still lost. And... I believe that he may have thrown a pick late in that game to seal the deal.

Holcomb is, without a doubt, the better option for the Bills at QB right now. But, that might not be saying much and we shouldn't expect a quantum leap in offensive production. This offensive line is, well ... offensive.

perhaps we could watch him play a game before passing judgement?

468008[/snapback]

The discussion is about the decison to start Holcomb, not about predictions of the outcome of the game. I can find a lot of ways to justify a temporary change at QB, and when studying the backgound of Mr. Holcomb the supporting evidence becomes even more compelling.

So, since it's his first NFL start in a while, should we expect him to light it up?  And, will the bottom line change?  Even though Holcomb had a great game, his team still lost. And... I believe that he may have thrown a pick late in that game to seal the deal.

Holcomb is, without a doubt, the better option for the Bills at QB right now.  But, that might not be saying much and we shouldn't expect a quantum leap in offensive production.  This offensive line is, well ... offensive.

468021[/snapback]

22 first downs from our offense would make our defense FAR more effective. It's not a huge leap from our season average. We've got more to gain than we have to lose at this stage of the season.

I don't understand. If KH was such a great player, why was he here as a backup? Why has he never led a team to the playoffs? Why all of a sudden does he become the best QB option out there?

I'm afraid anyone that thinks KH will get us into the playoffs this year is closing their eyes on reality. He's not done it elsewhere. Why is today and this team any different?

Everyone saw that game (because it was playoffs) and automatically assumed that Holcomb was awesome.  He's not.

Please edit and include "Cleveland had a big lead, but their offense couldn't keep the ball, and they lost."

467980[/snapback]

No reflection on KH intended here (let's just see what happens on Sunday), but wasn't there a dropped first down pass, or a bad spot or somthing late in that game that killed Cleveland and forced their last punt?

The discussion is about the decison to start Holcomb, not about predictions of the outcome of the game. I can find a lot of ways to justify a temporary change at QB, and when studying the backgound of Mr. Holcomb the supporting evidence becomes even more compelling.

468025[/snapback]

The only question that matters: Can Kelley Holcomb lead us to the Super Bowl this year? If he can't then we're just wasting time.

I remember that HUGE friggin Holcomb thread that started up when we signed him in the off season. Lots of people were happy then. :unsure:

Good pickup. Smart vet without the ego.

263444[/snapback]

Times change though. :huh:

467976[/snapback]

Kelly H. is going to be getting the reps this week in practice

and

He is going against a good Defense

perhaps we could watch him play a game before passing judgement?

468008[/snapback]

That's one comment I've heard a few times that I don't get....people have said that Kelly hasn't fared any better this year than JP.....WTF? The guy hasn't even hardly played but a series for gosh sakes. Who knows how well he'd do with all these weapons?

The only question that matters: Can Kelley Holcomb lead us to the Super Bowl this year?  If he can't then we're just wasting time.

468039[/snapback]

Otto Graham couldn't lead us to the Super Bowl this year. If that is the only criteria for what matters, wake me up when we actually get capable lines on both sides of the ball.

Apparently, we've fallen so low we don't even care about making the Superbowl. I'm not even sure that we even care about making te playoffs. Everyone just wants us to be contending for a playoff spot. So let's do all we can to pretend we have a shot at the playoffs and ignore the obvious.

well said ajzepp. i wholeheartedly agree. in fact many people do not take into consideration how many better offensive options holcomb has at his disposal here in buffalo in comparison to cleveland. Our receiver corps is by far greater than theirs. Im not guaranteeing he will save us from the pits of despair. but c'mon. just give the guy a chance. If he had our weapons in cleveland while he started there i would bet some money that he would have done a lot better. and like someone said, the day he was acquired some not all of you but a lot of you were very pleased.

Huh?

I thought he'd be a good BACKUP.

I had no idea he'd be the starter.

468052[/snapback]

I wasn't pleased with the Bills signing Holcomb at all. I knew the moment JP struggled people would be screaming to put in Holcomb because they have the patience of a 2 year old. I would have liked to have seen complete stiffs behind Losman. That way there wouldn’t have been an option to pull him.

...or not, let's get on his bandwagon. I'm mad, and can echo a lot of the sentiments around here today (especially JSP's), but it's not Kelly's fault.

He didn't pull a Flutie, and seems to be a class act. I for one will be screaming my ass off for him Sunday, because he's the starting QB for my Bills. Let's be serious, last season at this time some of us would have given our left nut to have him as QB instead of Drew, not because he is better, but because he's ABD. (Anybody But Drew)

He's a solid QB, and I still think there is hope for the playoffs.

467970[/snapback]

And...

E) Benching your starting QB will not magically establish the run.

The issue isn't so much Holcomb's performance vs. Losman's, it's the piss-poor coaching this decision represents.

Everyone saw that game (because it was playoffs) and automatically assumed that Holcomb was awesome.  He's not.

Please edit and include "Cleveland had a big lead, but their offense couldn't keep the ball, and they lost."

467980[/snapback]

Actually, Northcutt dropped a perfect 3rd down pass in the final minutes that would've allowed the Browns to take a knee....Kelly was awesome in that game from start to finish, and it's ridiculous to make up things to diminish his performance that day.

If you want to say it was only 1 game and Pitt's defense stunk then, fine.

And...

E) Benching your starting QB will not magically establish the run. 

The issue isn't so much Holcomb's performance vs. Losman's, it's the piss-poor coaching this decision represents.

468067[/snapback]

I think we've established the run just fine.....what we haven't done is continue to rely on it.

Apparently, we've fallen so low we don't even care about making the Superbowl.  I'm not even sure that we even care about making te playoffs.  Everyone just wants us to be contending for a playoff spot.    So let's do all we can to pretend we have a shot at the playoffs and ignore the obvious.

468049[/snapback]

Maybe, just maybe, Kelly will show us that Holcomb magic and lead the team (through the toughest part of the schedule) to a 7-5 record, thus finishing at 8-8. Maybe a sniff of the playoff hunt for a weekend or two. We can then pick 17th in the draft and save money on the draftee's signing bonus. I see what TD is up to...

well said ajzepp. i wholeheartedly agree. in fact many people do not take into consideration how many better offensive options holcomb has at his disposal here in buffalo in comparison to cleveland. Our receiver corps is by far greater than theirs. Im not guaranteeing he will save us from the pits of despair. but c'mon. just give the guy a chance. If he had our weapons in cleveland while he started there i would bet some money that he would have done a lot better. and like someone said, the day he was acquired some not all of you but a lot of you were very pleased.

468064[/snapback]

Yep, I think people forget the fact that we have DAMN good weapons on this team. I love our skill positions, with the exception of TE. Before the season started, the whole idea was to have a "caretaker" at QB more than anything. That strategy went to sh*t when the defense started playing like crap, but it's not too late to get things back on track. Either way, it's worth it for Kelly to start at least one game so we can see what we have with the guy.

...or not,  let's get on his bandwagon.  I'm mad,  and can echo a lot of the sentiments around here today (especially JSP's),  but it's not Kelly's fault.

He didn't pull a Flutie,  and seems to be a class act.  I for one will be screaming my ass off for him Sunday,  because he's the starting QB for my Bills.  Let's be serious,  last season at this time some of us would have given our left nut to have him as QB instead of Drew,  not because he is better,  but because he's ABD.  (Anybody But Drew)

He's a solid QB,  and I still think there is hope for the playoffs.

468066[/snapback]

I'd like to know where the magical talent on defense and offensive line is going to come from to make this a playoff team. Anyone who believes this sh-- is delusional. I can't !@#$ing believe that Mularkey has brought another QB controversy upon us.

This is why we're going to be sitting with our thumbs up our asses in the next few years wondering how we start over while the Giants and Bengals improve and become contenders.

Who wants to start making bets on who will be named our third coach under TD?

And for the record, I'm sure Holcomb's a great guy, he's played a few exciting games, but his record as a starter is proven. If we wanted what he brings to an offense, we should have kept Bledsoe.

This is why we're going to be sitting with our thumbs up our asses in the next few years wondering how we start over while the Giants and Bengals improve and become contenders.

468076[/snapback]

And all the while the Texans/Lions/Redskins/49ers/Packers will all fade into oblivion. Not every first round QB is a homerun. I'm not saying JP is a flop either, but you can't tell me that you really think if we just mindlessly start him all year that he'll automatically be a stud next year. Sorry thats not how it works.

Its a tough decision to make, and I as a Bills fan am suporting MM on whichever way he goes.

Yep, I think people forget the fact that we have DAMN good weapons on this team. I love our skill positions, with the exception of TE. Before the season started, the whole idea was to have a "caretaker" at QB more than anything. That strategy went to sh*t when the defense started playing like crap, but it's not too late to get things back on track. Either way, it's worth it for Kelly to start at least one game so we can see what we have with the guy.

468072[/snapback]

MIA has had some improbable success, but even the most rabid 'fins fan would likely admit (under torture) that the team is a work in progress, no more.

They have a road date to a stadium where they have been beaten bloody in recent years.

Anything's possible, but I think the Bills chalk one up.

MIA has had some improbable success, but even the most rabid 'fins fan would likely admit (under torture) that the team is a work in progress, no more.

They have a road date to a stadium where they have been beaten bloody in recent years.

Anything's possible, but I think the Bills chalk one up.

468091[/snapback]

If they can't beat the Jets, they're not going to beat us. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :unsure:

I'd like to know where the magical talent on defense and offensive line is going to come from to make this a playoff team.  Anyone who believes this sh-- is delusional.  I can't !@#$ing believe that Mularkey has brought another QB controversy upon us.

468076[/snapback]

It is only a QB controversy if the "fans" make it one! What an unbelievably thin skinned bunch we have here...

Say what you will about the defense, they are clearly not as good as we expected. However, they have kept us in 3 games that could have been much worse, just waiting for the offense to make a play. They couldn't, under JP. Why not give the other guy a chance?

I can't remember this many drama queens on TSW over any one topic in ages...if Holcomb sucks, as 90% of the board here seems to assume/hope he will, the JP experiment will continue. If we don't win 3 of the next 4, or if Holcomb stinks it up like Losman has, you can be sure that Losman will have the rest of the season to learn. Get a grip people! This was the right decision. I am sure JP will be just fine, and maybe, the rest of the offense will get a lift.

So, since it's his first NFL start in a while, should we expect him to light it up?  And, will the bottom line change?  Even though Holcomb had a great game, his team still lost. And... I believe that he may have thrown a pick late in that game to seal the deal.

Holcomb is, without a doubt, the better option for the Bills at QB right now.  But, that might not be saying much and we shouldn't expect a quantum leap in offensive production.  This offensive line is, well ... offensive.

468021[/snapback]

Take a look at his start off the bench last season against Cincinnati, playing with the same group of guys our defense kicked the living crap out of. Holcomb knows how to read a defense and get rid of the ball. The question is truly whether or not Trey Teague can put a friggin' hat on somebody (anybody) long enough to keep dude upright.