Why aren't we air dropping supplies in NO?

I heard that this disaster is covering NINE THOUSAND SQUARE MILES! Think of an area of WNY out to almost Syracuse devestated.

Stevestojan and the others, get your heads out of your ass and think!

Drop food and water-? Even with parachutes, it hits the ground at 5-10 mph- all the bottles break. That is if it doesn't land in 20 ft deep water or on someone's roof and kills them inside.

The hospital ship is in port. It is a hospital ship. Probaly has only a heliport on deck and is not an aircraft carrier. The supplies meeded ned to loaded. The crew has to be rounded up . Cant resupply it while underway. God, there sending the Truman there.

You went through a hurricane. You'd think you would be one of the people to understand

about the aftermath. Or were you complaning because you couldn't play X-box?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday's argument aside, I realize the magnitude of the situation makes coordinating aid a slow and cumbersome process but it is Thursday and we're pushing 72 hours without with little to no relief for the poor bastards in metro New Orleans.  As a parent I can't image my rage if I had nothing to feed my son or daughter for 72 hours.

Why don't we simply fly a shitload of C-130's over the city and push a few hundred pallets of MRE"s and water out.  We do it in foriegn countries as part of relief efforts all the time?????

I would bet that the 82nd airborne could do a nice job of setting up a base camp and providing much needed order.  I'm pretty sure that can do it under the authority of the Governor.

It's just horrifying so see these people holding up infants begging for help in our own damn backyard.

425459[/snapback]

First you need to find a drop zone to perform the heavy drop at. It's an awesome site seeing hummers and stuff being pushed out of a C-17, but the sh-- falls fast and you don't want to be under it. If people see what they thing is water and food out of a plane, there will be a mad rush to get it.

Also heavy drop pallets take time to rig up, get inspected and get loaded on the plane. I've put hundreds of them together over the years and it's a time consuming process.

As for the 82nd being called in... Last time I recall them being called up for homeland duty was back in 98 (i think). Some sicko kidnapped a kindergartner from her bus stop, raped her and then chopped her into pieces. The 82nd was bused in to search the woods for the guy.

So is it doable, yeah. But I think it would be faster just to load up a C-141 and fly it in.

Am I the only one that heard the reports of rescue and assistance teams being assembled in Baton Rouge on Saturday and Sunday?  :blink:

425605[/snapback]

On top of which, there would have been manageable damage from the storm if the levee had held. When Katrina was still off-shore and losing some of its steam, most of the reports I read- the same ones I presume that FEMA was reading- were predicting less rainfall and that the levees would be able to hold back the water.

Given that scenario, there was only so much disaster-preparedness that we could do. Should we assemble a few hundred million dollars of equipment for every hurricaine?

Well if your town is about to be hit with a Cat 5 you might just want to do something.  Unfortunately I'm not talking about the police and fire deparments in Baton Rouge.  Did you hear any reports of teams assembling in oh say Texas or Utah or Ohio or New York??

425616[/snapback]

Why didn't the National Guard mobilize all over the country before our Blizzard of 77?

It never ceases to amaze me how quick some people are to stop taking action so they have plenty of time to point fingers at people who are not taking action as fast as they would like.

!@#$ing stunning.

425630[/snapback]

I propose establishing a "Camp Stadium Wall" outside the White House. We stay until the President and his cabinet meet with us personally and answer the question of why aren't they dropping water out of planes. Meet you there. I'm gonna have to stop and buy gas first.

On top of which, there would have been manageable damage from the storm if the levee had held. When Katrina was still off-shore and losing some of its steam, most of the reports I read- the same ones I presume that FEMA was reading- were predicting less rainfall and that the levees would be able to hold back the water.

Given that scenario, there was only so much disaster-preparedness that we could do. Should we assemble a few hundred million dollars of equipment for every hurricaine?

425620[/snapback]

No. Just the ones that would obviously cause disasters with the application of hindsight. :blink:

I propose establishing a "Camp Stadium Wall" outside the White House. We stay until the President and his cabinet meet with us personally and answer the question of why aren't they dropping water out of planes. Meet you there. I'm gonna have to stop and buy gas first.

425638[/snapback]

Good plan. Instead of sitting here doing nothing but complaining, let's go there and do nothing but complain.

We can play the blame game later. Right now, they need to figure out a way to get food and water to these people. If they can get empty busses to the Superdome to load people, why can't they get truckloads of water to the same place?

As for the people who did not evacuate, I'm sure that a lot of them were too poor or frail to go anywhere. The Superdome was billed as the main shelter, so I don't think that we can blame people for going there before the storm.

As frustrating as it is to watch on tv, it must be a million times more frustrating to be there and have no communications telling you when to expect food, water, or a ride out.

Well if your town is about to be hit with a Cat 5 you might just want to do something.  Unfortunately I'm not talking about the police and fire deparments in Baton Rouge.  Did you hear any reports of teams assembling in oh say Texas or Utah or Ohio or New York??

425616[/snapback]

I'm not talking about police or fire in Baton Rouge, either. FEMA was putting people in place inland of the coast to respond to the storm. Hell, they had people in New Orleans during the storm to get real-time feedback on conditions.

Why didn't the National Guard mobilize all over the country before our Blizzard of 77?

425625[/snapback]

It was 60 degrees days before the Bliz. Some people were wearing shorts and sneakers when they got stranded (idiots I know) They had no idea that it was coming and very local.

They did mobilze USACE units and equipment from as far as Chicago and the Quad Cites.

Why not placate some of the worry at the Superdome and Convention Center?... Seems those are the places that are the hot spots and show the potential for mass death.

Why resue them if you are just gonna send them to their grave somewhere else?

Time is ticking... I will give them another 24 hours to right this thing... To quote Mike Robitille "Katy bar the door" if the people at those two locations have to hold out any more than that.

:blink:<_<

We can play the blame game later.  Right now, they need to figure out a way to get food and water to these people.  If they can get empty busses to the Superdome to load people, why can't they get truckloads of water to the same place?

425642[/snapback]

Uhhh...maybe they don't have the water available? Same with this looney airdrop idea...you can't deliver what you don't have available.

And I know the next question would be "Why weren't they prepared with stocks of water?" Because no one stocks much of anything anymore...and even if they did, it'd probably be in a warehouse in Oregon and take just as long to get to NO as it would to order it from a regional bottler.

I'm not talking about police or fire in Baton Rouge, either.  FEMA was putting people in place inland of the coast to respond to the storm.  Hell, they had people in New Orleans during the storm to get real-time feedback on conditions.

425643[/snapback]

Well here's your quote:

"Am I the only one that heard the reports of rescue and assistance teams being assembled in Baton Rouge on Saturday and Sunday?"

So help me out here, are you talking about??? Find me a number of the number of NG and SnR mobilized and I'll shut up.

And I know the next question would be "Why weren't they prepared with stocks of water?"  Because no one stocks much of anything anymore...and even if they did, it'd probably be in a warehouse in Oregon and take just as long to get to NO as it would to order it from a regional bottler.

425653[/snapback]

Then why don't we have a national water reserve located right next to the national oil reserves?!?!? Stupid government! <_<:blink:

It never ceases to amaze me how quick some people are to stop taking action so they have plenty of time to point fingers at people who are not taking action as fast as they would like.

!@#$ing stunning.

425630[/snapback]

Some people look more inward than others.

:lol::P

ONLY KIDDING LA, ONLY KIDDING!

I am not pointing fingers... I know everybody is trying hard... There has just got to be a way to placate the GOOD people of NOLA before they turn BAD.

Well here's your quote:

"Am I the only one that heard the reports of rescue and assistance teams being assembled in Baton Rouge on Saturday and Sunday?"

So help me out here, are you talking about???  Find me a number of the number of NG and SnR mobilized and I'll shut up.

425658[/snapback]

In other words, you didn't hear it so it didn't happen. Just started following the story yesterday?

We can play the blame game later.  Right now, they need to figure out a way to get food and water to these people.  If they can get empty busses to the Superdome to load people, why can't they get truckloads of water to the same place?

As for the people who did not evacuate, I'm sure that a lot of them were too poor or frail to go anywhere.  The Superdome was billed as the main shelter, so I don't think that we can blame people for going there before the storm.

As frustrating as it is to watch on tv, it must be a million times more frustrating to be there and have no communications telling you when to expect food, water, or a ride out.

425642[/snapback]

So right, so right.

The problem they are saying is that more people are showing up at the Superdome.

Well, Mr. Sec. Where to you want them to go?

Uhhh...maybe they don't have the water available?  Same with this looney airdrop idea...you can't deliver what you don't have available. 

And I know the next question would be "Why weren't they prepared with stocks of water?"  Because no one stocks much of anything anymore...and even if they did, it'd probably be in a warehouse in Oregon and take just as long to get to NO as it would to order it from a regional bottler.

425653[/snapback]

Fair enough.

Show me the proof, show me ONE article??  I'll be waiting..........

425669[/snapback]

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=3774633&nav=0RY4dpvR

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/c..._csm/akatrina_1

"And FEMA, the federal disaster-response agency, moved its search-and-rescue teams - as well as stockpiles of ice, water, and food - as close as safety would permit."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/508280312

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../508290329/1011

http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/490972...ss=okl&psp=news

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=79244

note to self...never challenge the Monkey.

Uhhh...maybe they don't have the water available?  Same with this looney airdrop idea...you can't deliver what you don't have available. 

425653[/snapback]

There are distribution centers all over the country that supply grocery stores, Wal-marts etc. I know because I used to work for one. I remember sending truckloads of water and ice to the Gulf coast from our Alabama warehouse immediately after several hurricanes. The breakdown of I-10 to the east of NO restricts them to deliveries from the west. But there are Major wholesale grocery distribution facilities in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas that could have truckloads there in less than a day. They might have to curtail water shipments to their own stores to divert to NO but I'm sure that Wal-Mart stores in TX could just explain to their customers that bottled water is unavailable as it is being diverted to the damaged areas.

Still why are they even rescueing people the last couple of days only to put them  one spot where they can die en mass?

I rather die on my roof.

:blink:  <_<

425687[/snapback]

C'mon...do you think those people exausted and risking their own lives in rescue efforts have some sort of ulterior plan? Fact is, it's beyond the power of any governenment entity to solve the stupidity and just plain bull-headedness of a sector of the population.

There is nothing on Earth that is perfect..

Still why are they even rescuing people the last couple of days only to put them  in one spot where they can die en mass?

I rather die on my roof.

:blink:  <_<

425687[/snapback]

:lol::P<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

There, have I covered your next 8 posts? God you're becoming nauseating.

Grats to FEMA for being prepped. BTW, the Red Cross is NOT a government agency.

Ok, so it appears that FEMA was actually preparing before the disaster, kudos to them.  Other than that, all I see is a few phone calls from the President to the respective Governors, not a whole lot of action, just a lot of talk.  Pretty weak given the magnitude of the situation.

Grats to you for digging this up.

425702[/snapback]

Given the magnitude of the situation in hindsight. And did you notice that some of the articles I included written the day of the storm said New Orleans dodged the worst of it? But they were supposed to know it was going to be this bad, even though in hindsight they didn't think it was anyway? :blink:

Grats to FEMA for being prepped.  BTW, the Red Cross is NOT a government agency.

425711[/snapback]

"FEMA, meanwhile, had moved generators, ice, water, and food into the region for deployment after the storm. FEMA also brought in urban search and rescue teams from Tennessee, Missouri, and Texas, and set them up in Shreveport, La. Similar teams from Indiana and Ohio were staged in Meridian, Miss.

FEMA also deployed 18 disaster medical assistance teams to staging areas in Texas, Alabama, and Tennessee."

I think that about says it all...

which is why I urge getting the facts before forming an opinion. :blink:

Grats to FEMA for being prepped.  BTW, the Red Cross is NOT a government agency.

425711[/snapback]

No sh--, buckwheat. I linked to stories that demonstrated preparations by government agencies at state and federal levels throughout the region. Just because they list the Red Cross or christian charities doesn't mean I thought those were government. :blink:

"FEMA, meanwhile, had moved generators, ice, water, and food into the region for deployment after the storm. FEMA also brought in urban search and rescue teams from Tennessee, Missouri, and Texas, and set them up in Shreveport, La. Similar teams from Indiana and Ohio were staged in Meridian, Miss.

FEMA also deployed 18 disaster medical assistance teams to staging areas in Texas, Alabama, and Tennessee."

I think that about says it all...

which is why I urge getting the facts before forming an opinion. :blink:

425722[/snapback]

Which, by the way, I believe is more medical assistance teams than were sent after the fact to the areas hit by all four major hurricanes last year. The preparation for this, in many ways, is greater than the response to last year's storms.