Why aren't we air dropping supplies in NO?

Yesterday's argument aside, I realize the magnitude of the situation makes coordinating aid a slow and cumbersome process but it is Thursday and we're pushing 72 hours without with little to no relief for the poor bastards in metro New Orleans. As a parent I can't image my rage if I had nothing to feed my son or daughter for 72 hours.

Why don't we simply fly a shitload of C-130's over the city and push a few hundred pallets of MRE"s and water out. We do it in foriegn countries as part of relief efforts all the time?????

I would bet that the 82nd airborne could do a nice job of setting up a base camp and providing much needed order. I'm pretty sure that can do it under the authority of the Governor.

It's just horrifying so see these people holding up infants begging for help in our own damn backyard.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry Mike. I saw the President on Good Morning America today. He said he has a "plan". Quit complaining. Things like this take time. People are starving and have no water, but we need a plan! We can't just go randomly dropping a resource like bottled water. I mean, hell, something like that takes at LEAST 96 hours, didn't you know? Apparently you haven't been listening to the TBD "experts" on hurricane relief. Pay attention man!

Do you honestly think dropping some pallets of water from the sky will help? All it will do is cause a mass riot of people going for the water, probably ending with people getting shot or trampled.

And do you think most of the elderly, sick and children will get water? No, it will be horded by the young, able people who get to it first.

There is no good answer at this moment.

It amy come to that as they have suspended evac ops due to security concerns.  From the rescuers viewpoint that is.

425468[/snapback]

They say evac first... But where are they evacing to? It seems that they are pooling the people in concentrated places STILL WITHIN THE CITY.

Is that a situation that may blow up in their face with regards to civil unrest?

Literally, people seem to be dehydrating to death?

Time is passing...

Are camps being set up OUTSIDE the city?

Just tragic.

:D

Don't worry Mike. I saw the President on Good Morning America today. He said he has a "plan". Quit complaining. Things like this take time. People are starving and have no water, but we need a plan! We can't just go randomly dropping a resource like bottled water. I mean, hell, something like that takes at LEAST 96 hours, didn't you know?  Apparently you haven't been listening to the TBD "experts" on hurricane relief.  Pay attention man!

425472[/snapback]

Several Navy ships full of supplies are on the way to NO now. Actually, 96 hours to deliver a C-130 operation is probably pushing it.

I do get your point, though. A quick scan of PPP tells me that the agreed-on plan of action is to call Cindy Sheehan a loon. :D

Why don't we simply fly a shitload of C-130's over the city and push a few hundred pallets of MRE"s and water out.  We do it in foriegn countries as part of relief efforts all the time?????

425459[/snapback]

And when the pallets land in 10 feet of contaminated water, who is gonna go get it? I'm sure they are using all tools at their disposal to do this thing the quickest and best way.

Do you honestly think dropping some pallets of water from the sky will help? All it will do is cause a mass riot of people going for the water, probably ending with people getting shot or trampled.

And do you think most of the elderly, sick and children will get water? No, it will be horded by the young, able people who get to it first.

425475[/snapback]

Good points. The people least needing it would be the ones to get to it. Those that are in dire need (elderly, ill, children) would still be in the same situtation that they are now.

It sucks, but like you said, there just don't seem to be any easy solutions...

Don't worry Mike. I saw the President on Good Morning America today. He said he has a "plan". Quit complaining. Things like this take time. People are starving and have no water, but we need a plan! We can't just go randomly dropping a resource like bottled water. I mean, hell, something like that takes at LEAST 96 hours, didn't you know?  Apparently you haven't been listening to the TBD "experts" on hurricane relief.  Pay attention man!

425472[/snapback]

yet you are?

Funny how it is inconceivable to you that there may be reasons unknown to you and unknown to us why that is impracticle.

Yet, you seem to have all the answers. A 1400 on your SAT's does not make you an expert at anything you wish. Your arrogance is beyond comprehension.

Several Navy ships full of supplies are on the way to NO now. Actually, 96 hours to deliver a C-130 operation is probably pushing it.

I do get your point, though.  A quick scan of PPP tells me that the agreed-on plan of action is to call Cindy Sheehan a loon.    :D

425478[/snapback]

I'm sorry but that's simply a pathetic response to this situation. The USS Comfort HASN'T EVEN LEFT PORT! It's not going be anywhere near NO until NEXT FRIDAY!!

How bout ya sling some pallets of water under Huey's or Blackhawks and set them on the bridges that the thousands of people are standing on? Hell, fill Cessna's with supplies and let the pilots throw the freaking things out the window.

If I didn't have anything to eat or drink for 3 days my last concern would be if it landed in dirty water.

There has been one questioned answered by this disaster. If there is ever a catastrophic attack on a major US city you can expect to wait 4-5 days for assistance because "it takes time". Unfortunately, time is not a luxury you have.

425475[/snapback]

It is just a matter of time before the very same GOOD people a few days ago turn BAD now.

Just provide it and not let the negative ideas invade the plans. It is better than dehydrating to death for all.

You provide enough and things will work out.

If you take the same approach to this human calamity as when they designed the levees for cat 3 only surges you are gonna have problems.

Just as the levees needed to be OVERBUILT... This operation needs to be over done... NOT OVER ANALYIZED.

Unless they are overstretched... Just keep dropping the stuff.

Joe Scarbourough had a very good take on it from his experiences in Pennsecola, FLA... Last night he said, this might not be viewed by rescue ops as an appropiate thing to say but, if you live in the south east... Load your car up with water, diapers, what not essentials and drive to a hard hit area and drop it off and LEAVE fast... Still send cash to all the rest... But, the people close, come in drop off and leave! Drop it anywhere people may find it.

This flood of bottled water needs to be done in NO.

:D<_<

and yet there you(and others) sit less than a day away doing nothing more than bitching about it and sending $$ to charities that will never get them the money in time!

I'm sorry but that's simply a pathetic response to this situation.  The USS Comfort HASN'T EVEN LEFT PORT!  It's not going be anywhere near NO until NEXT FRIDAY!!

How bout ya sling some pallets of water under Huey's or Blackhawks and set them on the bridges that the thousands of people are standing on?  Hell, fill Cessna's with supplies and let the pilots throw the freaking things out the window.

If I didn't have anything to eat or drink for 3 days my last concern would be if it landed in dirty water.

There has been one questioned answered by this disaster.  If there is ever a catastrophic attack on a major US city you can expect to wait 4-5 days for assistance because "it takes time".  Unfortunately, time is not a luxury you have.

425494[/snapback]

It would be a lawyer's lovefest. "My looting client was killed by something dropped from the sky", or "My client slammed 5 people to the ground going for the goods, but the 6th guy would have never knifed him to death if this ill-conceived plan never occurred". ;)

425474[/snapback]

Who cares... Cross that bridge when we get to. Oh, boy!

I am so scared of litigation that I'd rather see thousands of people dehydrate to death in the summer heat of NOLA.

and yet there you(and others) sit less than a day away doing nothing more than bitching about it and sending $$ to charities that will never get them the money in time!

425501[/snapback]

What else can I do. If you live in the SE... Load the car up with essential and drive down and drop the goods off and leave.

In order to physicaly help you should be mobilized through a rescue unit.

Just going down there adds to the problem.

425501[/snapback]

I'm doing what the President told me to do! :D

Meanwhile, you sit in your chair making excuses, how typical.

lets not politicize this, the president is following the same steps any leader would follow. this whole mentality that it is the gov'ts responsibility to solve all of our problems(I Know this is a monumental problem), instead of doing something to solve it, sitting on a bridge with your dead husband under the guard rails is not doing anything. start walking to safety!! these people should not have been there to begin with, if I was facing a storm of this magnitude and I was told to leave, if I had to walk with my family to a safer place I would have. I know alot of these people are below the poverty line and can't afford to just pack up and go! I do not want to paint a wide picture here, but how many of these people below the poverty line have too many kids? how many below the poverty line have air jordans? how many below the poverty line get thier nails done or get tatoos? how many below the poverty line have x-box and/or ps2 and/or gamecube? I certainly do not have alot of money, but I live within my means and try to take care of the important things. it doesn't always happen that way, but common man... I am sorry, but after I saw some "lady" last night blaming the governor of LA for this, that was the end for me!

once again feel free to flame away!

I'm doing what the President told me to do!  :D

425510[/snapback]

lets not politicize this, the president is following the same steps any leader would follow.  this whole mentality that it is the gov'ts responsibility to solve all of our problems(I Know this is a monumental problem), instead of doing something to solve it, sitting on a bridge with your dead husband under the guard rails is not doing anything.  start walking to safety!!  these people should not have been there to begin with, if I was facing a storm of this magnitude and I was told to leave, if I had to walk with my family to a safer place I would have.  I know alot of these people are below the poverty line and can't afford to just pack up and go!  I do not want to paint a wide picture here, but how many of these people below the poverty line have too many kids?  how many below the poverty line have air jordans?  how many below the poverty line get thier nails done or get tatoos?  how many below the poverty line have x-box and/or ps2 and/or gamecube?  I certainly do not have alot of money, but I live within my means and try to take care of the important things.  it doesn't always happen that way, but common man... I am sorry, but after I saw some "lady" last night blaming the governor of LA for this, that was the end for me!

425529[/snapback]

I am not going to flame you. I generally agree with you. The thing that got me is that I would some how be on the I-10 expressway walking west. In the heat, I may make it... I am not sure how my kids kids would do?

instead of doing something to solve it, sitting on a bridge with your dead husband under the guard rails is not doing anything.  start walking to safety!!

425529[/snapback]

No offense, but if my wife was laying there and you came by and told me to start walking you would be laying there too. It is easy to monday morning quarterback this whole situation from the comfort of our own homes.

No offense, but if my wife was laying there and you came by and told me to start walking you would be laying there too. It is easy to monday morning quarterback this whole situation from the comfort of our own homes.

425562[/snapback]

It would probably look like a death march.

The find I feel is appalling is what is going on at the convention center... ALL AUTHORITY has left and abandoned the place. But, Harry Connick Jr. is there... What the eff?

425472[/snapback]

Because that's what a chaotic situation needs. More randomness. Jesus Christ, you're an idiot.

yeah i know, and i really do feel bad about being so synical, but ya feel how ya feel I guess and if ya can't express it here to let off a little steam, then I would probably 'splode!

425562[/snapback]

yeah i know, and i really do feel bad about being so synical, but ya feel how ya feel I guess and if ya can't express it here to let off a little steam, then I would probably 'splode!

425581[/snapback]

So true, so true.

It is a defense and coping mech we all use.

I like to think if I was in this unfortunate situation, I would fair better?

Anybody who doesn't think that the governments response to this disaster has been and continues to be slow is delusional. The thing that really gets me is that apparently one guy maybe more, but I've only seen one gunner confirmed, in a crowd randomly fired at a helicopter so all rescue attempts were halted at the dome. If that is the case, send in more guards, a few people with weapons is no excuse for the US gov/ military not to go in and assist those that need help. If that was a factor in decideding how we run business in the US we sure as hell wouldn't be spread all over the globe militarily today.

lets not politicize this, the president is following the same steps any leader would follow.  this whole mentality that it is the gov'ts responsibility to solve all of our problems(I Know this is a monumental problem), instead of doing something to solve it, sitting on a bridge with your dead husband under the guard rails is not doing anything.  start walking to safety!!  these people should not have been there to begin with, if I was facing a storm of this magnitude and I was told to leave, if I had to walk with my family to a safer place I would have.  I know alot of these people are below the poverty line and can't afford to just pack up and go!  I do not want to paint a wide picture here, but how many of these people below the poverty line have too many kids?  how many below the poverty line have air jordans?  how many below the poverty line get thier nails done or get tatoos?  how many below the poverty line have x-box and/or ps2 and/or gamecube?  I certainly do not have alot of money, but I live within my means and try to take care of the important things.  it doesn't always happen that way, but common man... I am sorry, but after I saw some "lady" last night blaming the governor of LA for this, that was the end for me!

425529[/snapback]

Poojer,

In many respects I agree with you. There was no possible way to prepare for an event of this magnitude. Perhaps in retrospect there should have been a mandatory forced evacuation and perhaps in the future there will be.

I don't want to politicize this either but I will say that this entire responsive effort is indicative of the failings our government. It's not about Republican, Democrat, Liberal or Conservative. It's about the health and safety of a nation. Our goverment has become so large and departmentalized that it takes them 48 hours to get anything moving. I would have preferred that the rescue and assistance teams begin assembling on Saturday. Martial law could have been declared on Sunday night and troops could have been on the ground Monday afternoon.

It's easy to second guess at this point, it's just terribly frustrating to watch people suffering.

Anybody who doesn't think that the governments response to this disaster has been and continues to be slow is delusional.  The thing that really gets me is that apparently one guy maybe more, but I've only seen one gunner confirmed, in a crowd randomly fired at a helicopter so all rescue attempts were halted at the dome.  If that is the case, send in more guards, a few people with weapons is no excuse for the US gov/ military not to go in and assist those that need help.  If that was a factor in decideding how we run business in the US we sure as hell wouldn't be spread all over the globe militarily today.

425589[/snapback]

Nicely said John.

I repeat... "We will not tolerate lawlessness."

Well, what is running from it?

Poojer,

In many respects I agree with you.  There was no possible way to prepare for an event of this magnitude.  Perhaps in retrospect there should have been a mandatory forced evacuation and perhaps in the future there will be.

I don't want to politicize this either but I will say that this entire responsive effort is indicative of the failings our government.  It's not about Republican, Democrat, Liberal or Conservative.  It's about the health and safety of a nation.  Our goverment  has become so large and departmentalized that it takes them 48 hours to get anything moving.  I would have preferred that the rescue and assistance teams begin assembling on Saturday.  Martial law could have been declared on Sunday night and troops could have been on the ground Monday afternoon.

It's easy to second guess at this point, it's just terribly frustrating to watch people suffering.

425592[/snapback]

Am I the only one that heard the reports of rescue and assistance teams being assembled in Baton Rouge on Saturday and Sunday? :D

Poojer,

In many respects I agree with you.  There was no possible way to prepare for an event of this magnitude.  Perhaps in retrospect there should have been a mandatory forced evacuation and perhaps in the future there will be.

I don't want to politicize this either but I will say that this entire responsive effort is indicative of the failings our government.  It's not about Republican, Democrat, Liberal or Conservative.  It's about the health and safety of a nation.  Our goverment  has become so large and departmentalized that it takes them 48 hours to get anything moving.  I would have preferred that the rescue and assistance teams begin assembling on Saturday.  Martial law could have been declared on Sunday night and troops could have been on the ground Monday afternoon.

425592[/snapback]

And if it doesn't hit (the Hurricane) that hard? All the tax-cheapos on the planet will be pissing and moaning a kidney stone how much a waste it was. To them I would say go eat a bowl of eff.

I agree with you... I could care less how much we spend in preperation.

I believe in preventive maintenance at all costs... I don't care if I use the plans or not. They ALWAYS lessen the randomness life throws at you.

Anybody who doesn't think that the governments response to this disaster has been and continues to be slow is delusional.  The thing that really gets me is that apparently one guy maybe more, but I've only seen one gunner confirmed, in a crowd randomly fired at a helicopter so all rescue attempts were halted at the dome.  If that is the case, send in more guards, a few people with weapons is no excuse for the US gov/ military not to go in and assist those that need help.  If that was a factor in decideding how we run business in the US we sure as hell wouldn't be spread all over the globe militarily today.

425589[/snapback]

With so many assets overseas I have to agree. THIS is the reason we have the national guard. With a majority of americans already opposing the war, I imagine this will add a considerable amount of fuel to the fire in the coming days.

Am I the only one that heard the reports of rescue and assistance teams being assembled in Baton Rouge on Saturday and Sunday?  :blink:

425605[/snapback]

Well if your town is about to be hit with a Cat 5 you might just want to do something. Unfortunately I'm not talking about the police and fire deparments in Baton Rouge. Did you hear any reports of teams assembling in oh say Texas or Utah or Ohio or New York??