Hospitality Question

One thing I've always seen in RWS that gets the Bills fans pissed, is when there is one or two opposing team fans sitting in a sea of Bills blue, that after every good play, need to stand and scream. They aren't yelling at any of the people around them, but it still gets under peoples skin. So after good plays, clap, say "yea!" and don't poke the people around you. And after a couple of bad plays, shake your head like "I can't believe my team did something so stupid". Plus as others have noted, joke around with the other fans around you, but keep away for the "your team sucks" comments. We had an enjoyable time at Cincy last year, because the fans around us were making fun of thier own team.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just used to like watching Ken O'Brien play...still my favorite Jet of all time...even if he did spend half of his career laying under Bruce Smith!

417461[/snapback]

Please, no pics. In general you will be treated the way you deserve. Talk trash and trash will be given to you. Behave as an honored guest in someone else's house and things should go OK for you.

Repeating some of the comments above, if you don't act like an azz, you should be fine. Every time I go to the Bills games at RWS, I am near a couple of opposing fans. The only time I see trouble is when the opposing fans are obnoxious. Be civil and take to ribbing in stride. Show that you can laugh it off and people usually leave you alone.

I've seen the Bills play in the Meadowlands, wore my Bills gear in the endzone and had a pleasant day (of course the Bills won).   The negative image of the NYC fan is largely a myth.

417436[/snapback]

I wish I could agree with this story since I live in Hoboken, NJ, but last year while sitting with my wife I was jumped. I was not acting obnoxious - I sat and politely clapped. I was wearing a Bledsoe jersey, but fact is I do not think I stood once. This guy was just a drunken moron who thought he had to "step up on behalf of all Jet fans." He was kicked out and supposedly his season tickets were revoked.

Point is, factor in alcohol and I don't care where you are, there is also the possibility something will happen...

stevewin, i respectfully disagree.  with a few notable exceptions (oakland, philly come to mind), as long as a person doesn't deliberately taunt the home team fans it's absolutely fine to sport one's favorite team's gear.  i've worn bills' gear in visiting stadiums to watch buffalo play the jets, falcons, panthers, titans, and redskins...and never encountered a bit of difficulty.  and i do cheer, sometimes loudly, for good bills' plays.

417499[/snapback]

Eball, the only thing about most of those places id that they are filled with tons of transplants, and people are more used to having opposing fans in the stadium. Crimminy, half the stands for any east coast team visting DC in any of the sports are fans of the away team.

I have gone to at least 10 other stadiums and never had a problem. Only gear I wear is maybe a hat. Best thing a do is talk to the folks around me first, letting them know I'm a bills fan upfront and talking some football with them. Not just Bills are great, your team sucks, but some real football talk.

Course, I always scalp tickets and am willing to pay for good seats, so I am usually in some of the less rowdy parts of the stadiums

I just wanted to note that I live in North Jersey. I go to the Bills v. Jets game every year. I get decked out in all my fan gear. There are a fair amount of Bills fans there each year. I believe we have lost at the Meadowlands the past 2 or 3 years. I can't remember going to the game and them winning. :lol: We always beat the am the Ralph though.

Anyway, Jets fans are obnoxious and throw stuff at me and yell "Bledsoe sucks". I do agree with them, but it took up to Dec/Jan 04 for me to come to that conclusion. Jets fans are rude, arrogant, and obnoxious. I have been to games at Washington and even Philly. I have heard Philly is bad, but I have never seen the fans treat the opposition as horribly as they do at Jets games. Even while we are tailgating, Jets fans get more personal then they should. Calling you an "F-ing moron" and what not. Of course I give it back to them and all hell breaks loose. Well not really, but close.

In response to this post. I believe Bills fan are much more polite. To a Jets fan however, I hope they never can wear their girly green colors to our house and expect to have a good time. They don't deserve it. :o

I have gone to at least 10 other stadiums and never had a problem. Only gear I wear is maybe a hat. Best thing a do is talk to the folks around me first, letting them know I'm a bills fan upfront and talking some football with them. Not just Bills are great, your team sucks, but some real football talk.

417571[/snapback]

Probably the best advice so far. Since you're familiar with the Bills, make a little bit of small talk with the homers around you, "I think Losman will turn out to be a great player" "The Bills really have an advantage on ST b/c no one else respects it. MM is really smart for recognizing that" "I'm ready for a good game." blah blah blah, so on and so forth. It'll do wonders if an obnoxious/inebriated Bills fan gives you sh-- for the Bills fans sitting around you to tell him to leave you alone.

Sit in the family section, security was better there than in any other section I've sat in. No alcohol. Sorry, guys, but the jerk Bills fans who deserve to be tossed from the stadium for mixing it up with out-of-towners are ALWAYS drunk.

Eball, the only thing about most of those  places id that they are filled with tons of transplants, and people are more used to having opposing fans in the stadium. Crimminy, half the stands for any east coast team visting DC in any of the sports are fans of the away team.

Course, I always scalp tickets and am willing to pay for good seats, so I am usually in some of the less rowdy parts of the stadiums

417571[/snapback]

good point, paul. i too tend to pay for decent seats, so i'm not in rowdier sections. additionally, i normally have my wife with me -- she does a good job of "disarming" any potentially rowdy folks. we chit chat and talk w/ the people around us, so by the time i'm cheering for the bills i have fooled them into believing i'm not a complete jackass. :lol:

stevewin, i respectfully disagree.  with a few notable exceptions (oakland, philly come to mind), as long as a person doesn't deliberately taunt the home team fans it's absolutely fine to sport one's favorite team's gear.  i've worn bills' gear in visiting stadiums to watch buffalo play the jets, falcons, panthers, titans, and redskins...and never encountered a bit of difficulty.  and i do cheer, sometimes loudly, for good bills' plays.

417499[/snapback]

I don't disagree with what you are saying - all I am saying is if you are concerned about how you will be treated at an opposing stadium - one of the biggest ways to draw attention and paint a target on yourself is to deck yourself out in the gear of your opposing team. I am not saying that wearing the gear will automatically get you in trouble, just that NOT wearing it will make it much less likely for you to have an incident (make you not stand out and make you less of a target for drunks and over-zealous home fans).

It's a personal decision about wearing your team's colors - I understand the desire to show the support for your team - but for me personally I am more concerned with just seeing my team and watching and enjoying the game on the field than letting everyone else know what my allegiances are.

And I did not mean to imply that I think you should sit there mute - I don't believe there is anything wrong with cheering respectfully when good things happen - but as has been mentioned the last thing anyone wants to see is an opposing fan being obnoxious and standing and screaming at other fans every time something remotely positive happens for his team (or negative for the home team). Just common sense really.

stevewin, i respectfully disagree. with a few notable exceptions (oakland, philly come to mind), as long as a person doesn't deliberately taunt the home team fans it's absolutely fine to sport one's favorite team's gear. i've worn bills' gear in visiting stadiums to watch buffalo play the jets, falcons, panthers, titans, and redskins...and never encountered a bit of difficulty. and i do cheer, sometimes loudly, for good bills' plays.

I fully agree with eball (but I'd add punctuation) ;)

Wear you're colors proudly (even if they are that ugly green and white) and don't be obnoxious and you'll be just fine.

It's a personal decision about wearing your team's colors - I understand the desire to show the support for your team - but for me personally I am more concerned with just seeing my team and watching and enjoying the game on the field than letting everyone else know what my allegiances are. 

417648[/snapback]

That's a lot like going to France, Germany, etc. and not wearing an Old Navy U.S. flag T-shirt b/c they might say, "Yoooour grandmother smelled of eeeelderberrrries.... I faaaart in your gennnneraaal direeeectioon...." Don't be afraid of what might befall you for expressing who you are, your beliefs, likes, etc.

I take it back, be sure to wear the vintage "O'Brien" jersey.

417715[/snapback]

That may be a good defense mechanism. If everyone is filled with pity while simultaneously rolling on the cement laughing at you, no one will be able to pour beer over your head or shoot spitballs.

good point, paul.  i too tend to pay for decent seats, so i'm not in rowdier sections.  additionally, i normally have my wife with me -- she does a good job of "disarming" any potentially rowdy folks.  we chit chat and talk w/ the people around us, so by the time i'm cheering for the bills i have fooled them into believing i'm not a complete jackass.  :P

417590[/snapback]

Your wife is damn good liar then ;)

take a look around you when you get there...if you see some 6'2" crosseyed, cementhead, with a blood stained, ripped, Jim Kelly Jersey on...pointing at opposing teams fans, then pointing at his biceps, chew spit running off his chin, with 4 beers lined up in front of him....then i would go to the bathroom and take of the Johnny "Lam" Jones Jersey