My game day observations

Kelly the Dog

1. This game was lost, IMO, by one guy and one play because of one reason: Ego. If Nate Clements didnt want his name in the paper for an INT, the Bills win. You learn that in seventh grade. There are not a lot of plays in a game where it is a definite that if a play is made different the outcome is different. In this game there were two, the last play TD and the 4th down play. Nate is a jerk, and he cost us a win. That was unconscionable.

2. Anyone that blames this game anywhere close to Drew didnt see it. He played well. He didn't ty to force anything, he was very accurate, he stepped up in the pocket, he threw the ball away a couple times. He had nine total incompletions and Campbell dropped two, Shaw one, Neufeld one, and perhaps another. That fumble was all on Moulds (along with the design of the play that shouldnt have been backwards, there was no reason for it).

3. The offensive line was pretty good. Not great, but for the first game together with all the injuries and new faces and question marks, they held up well. The Villarial penalty, however, was obviously a killer. I didnt see it so I don't know if it was blatant, or if his hold allowed Willis to get the first down. Did they show a replay on it?

4. Seaking of Willis, he is getting his speed back slowly but surely. His stats may not reflect it but he accelerated better than I had seen him in pre-season. He is powerful and a very smart runner. He really could be a great one. I thought they should have used him more on third downs and in the backfield with Henry more.

5. Schobel made some very nice plays in the run game but didnt do much at all as a rusher. The defense, overall, was very much as advertised, except for Nate the Hot Dog. I was surprised that Gray had PP playing the fourth corner in dime packages instead of K. Thomas. I am not sure if that is a permanent thing.

6. For those who thought that the Bills should have gone deep, or that Evans wasn't a factor, you probably werent at the game. Almost every time Evans was wide, which was a lot, there was a safety WAY back, probably out of the TV screen view. I was shocked at how much cred they gave to his speed.

7. I think that if Lindell had made the 41 yarder, than MM would have chose to kick the 51 yarder. But at that point I had zero confidence in my kicker, too, and I though the punt there was the right call. This was also a Jax team, whose QB had struggled the whole game, against a defense that had given up two FGs, with one of the best punters in the game. That was a tough call, and I understand both sides, but I would have done what MM did under those precise circumstances.

8. The play-calling was fair to pretty good for me. The early reverse was totally unnecessary. You need to set that up a little more. There were a couple of very nicely designed plays, especially the reverse screen to Willis with TH in the backfield. The play-action at the one was not a bad call. There is ZERO, I repeat, ZERO problem with passing on 3rd and one or 3rd and two or three, the problem exists when you ALWAYS do it, or, say, like 56 times in a row. Those who say you should always run there are as big a stubborn bastard as Killdrive.

9. I didnt see the purpose of having Shelton in on third downs, which he was a few times. He didnt and doesnt do much for me, also I will have to watch the game on the tape to know for sure. campbell could be a real factor if he would hold onto the ball.

10. Nate Clements stinks. His coolguyitis outweighs his play-making at this point.

I agree about Macahee's burst. On the screen he was up to full speed in an instant. I actually at first didn't think it was him. It was a very encouraging sign.

By the way Kelly, it was funny that you identified yourself by your screen name on the radio before the game!

2. Anyone that blames this game anywhere close to Drew didnt see it. He played well. He didn't ty to force anything, he was very accurate, he stepped up in the pocket, he threw the ball away a couple times.

Maybe you can answer a Q that I asked and that got buried among the suicidal tendencies. Was there a safety trailing Shelton on the 3rd & goal play. We couldn't see the backfield on TV, but there must have been a reason that DB looked Shelton off.

3. The Villarial penalty, however, was obviously a killer. I didnt see it so I don't know if it was blatant, or if his hold allowed Willis to get the first down. Did they show a replay on it?

It was a marginal call. Villareal got a hold of the guy's jersey, but well after Willis was by the play. My only thinking is that the refs thought that if CV had the jersey, he pulled the DT out of the running lane in the first place. The replay, showed the original block was clean, but because Willis ran behind CV's block, the flag was thrown.

1. This game was lost, IMO, by one guy and one play because of one reason: Ego. If Nate Clements didnt want his name in the paper for an INT, the Bills win. You learn that in seventh grade. There are not a lot of plays in a game where it is a definite that if a play is made different the outcome is different. In this game there were two, the last play TD and the 4th down play. Nate is a jerk, and he cost us a win. That was unconscionable.

28727[/snapback]

I love Clements and all but he justed doesn't have "IT" yet....He is all show right now and no HEAD....

Worst part is watching the replay of that pass...you can see Clements hold the ball up(around his shoulder pad) and Smith just snatchin it away....very said that a NFL football player with his talent doesnt know in that situation you "KNOCK IT DOWN" and win the game...

That was one of a number of plays that could be singled out as THE key play. There's no excuse, of course, but I see all the time where a DB succumbs to the temptation of going for the interception when batting the ball down is actually more beneficial to the team. I think it might help if whoever is calling the defence on the field gives a reminder to everyone not to go for the int, just bat it down.

My gameday observation - HENRY SUCKS AND IS A MAJOR REASON WHY OUR OFFENSE SUCKS!!!! Henry ran the wrong way on at least two obvious plays causing major losses. The first was a screen, lineman go one way and wrongway Henry is all by himself, result loss of 8. Later on a handoff, hes not there and Bledsoe has to eat it for a big loss. WTF. I don't care how hard he runs, if he can't block and is too stupid to know the plays he is of no help to this team. Plus I bet Willis would of scored if givin the ball twice at the goal line.

One minor action that had a big impact was Fletcher's dumb move of kicking the ball after the Jimmy Smith catch, which resulted in a penalty which stopped the clock. If he didn't do that, at least 10 seconds would have come off the clock as the players lined up, and the Jags would have had at least 2 less plays at the end. A dumb move by a veteran.

2. Anyone that blames this game anywhere close to Drew didnt see it. He played well. He didn't ty to force anything, he was very accurate, he stepped up in the pocket, he threw the ball away a couple times. He had nine total incompletions and Campbell dropped two, Shaw one, Neufeld one, and perhaps another. That fumble was all on Moulds (along with the design of the play that shouldnt have been backwards, there was no reason for it).

3. The offensive line was pretty good. Not great, but for the first game together with all the injuries and new faces and question marks, they held up well. The Villarial penalty, however, was obviously a killer. I didnt see it so I don't know if it was blatant, or if his hold allowed Willis to get the first down. Did they show a replay on it?

4. Seaking of Willis, he is getting his speed back slowly but surely. His stats may not reflect it but he accelerated better than I had seen him in pre-season. He is powerful and a very smart runner. He really could be a great one. I thought they should have used him more on third downs and in the backfield with Henry more.

5. Schobel made some very nice plays in the run game but didnt do much at all as a rusher. The defense, overall, was very much as advertised, except for Nate the Hot Dog. I was surprised that Gray had PP playing the fourth corner in dime packages instead of K. Thomas. I am not sure if that is a permanent thing.

6. For those who thought that the Bills should have gone deep, or that Evans wasn't a factor, you probably werent at the game. Almost every time Evans was wide, which was a lot, there was a safety WAY back, probably out of the TV screen view. I was shocked at how much cred they gave to his speed.

7. I think that if Lindell had made the 41 yarder, than MM would have chose to kick the 51 yarder. But at that point I had zero confidence in my kicker, too, and I though the punt there was the right call. This was also a Jax team, whose QB had struggled the whole game, against a defense that had given up two FGs, with one of the best punters in the game. That was a tough call, and I understand both sides, but I would have done what MM did under those precise circumstances.

8. The play-calling was fair to pretty good for me. The early reverse was totally unnecessary. You need to set that up a little more. There were a couple of very nicely designed plays, especially the reverse screen to Willis with TH in the backfield. The play-action at the one was not a bad call. There is ZERO, I repeat, ZERO problem with passing on 3rd and one or 3rd and two or three, the problem exists when you ALWAYS do it, or, say, like 56 times in a row. Those who say you should always run there are as big a stubborn bastard as Killdrive.

9. I didnt see the purpose of having Shelton in on third downs, which he was a few times. He didnt and doesnt do much for me, also I will have to watch the game on the tape to know for sure. campbell could be a real factor if he would hold onto the ball.

10. Nate Clements stinks. His coolguyitis outweighs his play-making at this point.

28727[/snapback]

Good and accurate points Kelly. I agree with you on these accounts. It's amazing over the years how many corners you see going for picks on a long 4th down pass. It boggles the mind. Just plain stupid.

One minor action that had a big impact was Fletcher's dumb move of kicking the ball after the Jimmy Smith catch, which resulted in a penalty which stopped the clock.  If he didn't do that, at least 10 seconds would have come off the clock as the players lined up, and the Jags would have had at least 2 less plays at the end.  A dumb move by a veteran.

28858[/snapback]

Not only that, but it madeanother 4th down conversion much easier. When you have first and five, it makes it so much tougher on the D to make a stop of 4 downs. Even the Jags can make 5 yards in 4 downs!

Kelly, as always I appreciate your reasoned posts. I am a little less angry with Nate than you are however. I am not sure that it was so much ego as plain stupidity. There are certain times where an INT makes sense, but NOT on a 4th down play that will end the game obviously.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was his lack of clear thinking given the situtation rather than the need to feed his ego.

Villarial gave the guy a bear hug that resulted in McGahee getting the first down. That penalty killed them. You have a choice, tackle the opponent commiting an obvious penalty, or doing your best within the rules and at least have an attempt for a 36 yrd field goal to give your team a 7 point lead. Very bad choice. Hopefully they will learn from this.

That was one of a number of plays that could be singled out as THE key play.  There's no excuse, of course, but I see all the time where a DB succumbs to the temptation of going for the interception when batting the ball down is actually more beneficial to the team.  I think it might help if whoever is calling the defence on the field gives a reminder to everyone not to go for the int, just bat it down.

28834[/snapback]

This isn't in the same category as a "key" play. In 99% of the key plays in a game, it has a great affect on the outcome but one cannot say for sure that the win/loss would have been different. On the Clements play, the game was OVER. The Bills could have just fallen on the ball. He was in position to just make the simple play the way a shortstop in little league would think to himself just before the pitch, if the ball is hit to me, my play is to second base. It is a fundamental play that every single coach in the history of football would tell his team. On fourth and long, KNOCK IT DOWN. DO NOT TRY FOR AN INT. KNOCK IT DOWN.

One minor action that had a big impact was Fletcher's dumb move of kicking the ball after the Jimmy Smith catch, which resulted in a penalty which stopped the clock.  If he didn't do that, at least 10 seconds would have come off the clock as the players lined up, and the Jags would have had at least 2 less plays at the end.  A dumb move by a veteran.

28858[/snapback]

That was totally stupid, and gave them five unnecessary yards. But I don't think it had the affect on the game clock the way you stated because if I am not mistaken, the Jags still had an extra time-out they didnt use.

28858[/snapback]

I wonder if he made that move because it didn't appear the defense was set, so he tried to buy some time. If there were 10 less seconds, likely Jax would have used their last time out after I believe it was whe nthe ygot there last first down.

Even though we lost, I found some positives. Our D is still good. We stuffed Smith on a lot of runs. Drew was NOT SACKED and had much more time to throw the ball than last year. We also were not wedded to the pass like we were last year.

Guest Guest_BillsinDallas_*

With less than two minutes to go and on 4th down and 14 yards to go the Bills rushed three men at the quarterback and had eight men drop back into coverage. How is it that the bills end up with one on one coverage 40+ yards down the field? The Bills are using a prevent rush with a blitz coverage scheme. Seems like a poor scheme to me.

I also have to wonder if the holding call that on Chris Villari was as flagrant as the offensive pass interference push off penalty that Jimmy Smith got away with? The work of the referees in this league is aproaching the level in the World Wrestling Federation.

Overall the Bills played well. The offensive brain trust needs to cut down on the number of high risk play calls. Gerry Gray needs to understand that the prevent defense is overated. The coaching staff needs to instill more discipline into the players as far as complete mental lapses and the fans need to learn that they saw a very good game and that this team has alot of upside to it.

Even though we lost, I found some positives. Our D is still good. We stuffed Smith on a lot of runs.  Drew was NOT SACKED and had much more time to throw the ball than last year. We also were not wedded to the pass like we were last year.

29245[/snapback]

I agree. I thought the D was excellent. But it is also true that they need to make plays to WIN games and not lose them. We are close to being a very good team. The good teams win these type games, but they also snowball. If guys like Nate or Reese make a play to win a game like this instead of lose it, it goes a long way to turning the tide.