The Wave

rockpile

I'm making a sign for the next home game  "Wave on DEFENSE idiots!"....And what's with some peoplle getting in with HUGE backpacks and then some of us having our small fanny packs searched for bottles??  Hopefully Guest Services will be calling me today as I filled out a complaint about all the hockey...cheerleaders...football kids selling candy and pepperoni and junk as a fundraiser.    I know for a fact that Hunter's Hope asked to do some fundraising at the Ralph and was told NO!!!!! (and that was both times JK was honored!)

29378[/snapback]

Problem was, you asked! :doh:

SOMEONE is always selling something or fund raising. Just do it... I know you are legit and have a very worthy cause. No one will hassle you.

These are the same people sitting in front of you who decide to make a beer/bathroom run at the exact moment the teams line up for a play, or worse, right in the MIDDLE of a play.  If I were running things I would have gates at the end of each row and at each aisle entrance that lock shut except during timeouts and commercials.  Imagine the business these guys could do with such a policy.  :devil:

29461[/snapback]

First game I ever went to was Miami in December of 95. The usher in our section would not let you in the aisle until the a play was over. And there were people that if they were heading up/down the stairs when a play was about to go off, they would stop and sit on the stairs until the play was over, then continue on.

Ahh.... the good old days of common courtesy.

I agree with you guys. It's almost embarassing and seems to happen at every game I go to. Noise on Offense, not enough noise on D.

29094[/snapback]

I noticed, even on TV, that when the Bills went to a no-huddle for a few plays that crowd went crazy (I guess they were having early 90s flashbacks)...like the fans didnt' realize they shouldn't be making noise when the Bills have the ball.

Had a guy several rows in front of us who tried to get the wave going - all game long. The he expressed disgust when he got very little response from the crowd.

THEN, late in the game the whole stadium starts doing the wave. Problem was the Bills had the ball!!

I was screaming at this guy: "Sit down, WE have the ball!" but he was too pleased with himself to hear anything, and too ignorant to know the wave was intended to rattle the OTHER team with the ball.  :devil:

I was hoping the national media did not catch this. Made Buffalo fans look like complete maroons!  :P

28501[/snapback]

It's hard to believe that anything was more annoying than my commentary :)

We should have thrown the fat tard off the upper deck.

The wave was lame 20 years ago. Some a-hole gets a few beers in him and the coolest thing ever becomes starting a wave. I hate the f-in wave. I hate it even more when a bunch of morons do it when the home team has the ball. That dude should have gotten flung off the upper deck and had his Zubaz revoked for life.

What has happened to Bills fans? I didn't see more than 2 fights, nobody was passed out in or around the stadium and the fans did the wave when the Bills had the ball. The fans performance was just as bad as the Bills performance was. Let's hope we all regroup in time for the NE game.

It's the same a$$holes that *cheered* when Rob Johnson went down with his last injury as a Bill.(Regardless if you liked,or hated Johnson,it was still classless)

If this crap continues,I'll stay at home next year.

30302[/snapback]

I will not let let the morons ruin my tailgate with TSW. It would be less of a party without you Bart!

Our section was actually pretty well behaved, and loud when we needed to be. B)

Listen doing the wave while your team has the ball is wrong to a point. I've been a season ticket holder since 85 and i think our fans suck. The ralph is becoming the aud were no one will want to cheer for anything. The last drive that stadium was way to quiet in the kelly era you wouldnt have been able to hear yourself think. Truly disappointed in the fans hey if you dont want to stand up at the end of the game and make some noise stay at home and sit on your couch. I will give someone credit to the wave at least they were into the game with some spirit. I really dont think doing the wave throws the offense off by any stretch of the imagination so relax have some fun lets not make this place the aud.

Anyone that does the wave when our team has the ball should be forcibly removed from the stadium.  Having said that, if our defense can't move the ball at home with a few idiots doing the wave, then we haven't a prayer on the road where the other team's fans are making noise for real.

30450[/snapback]

Why would our defense be moving the ball. I believe Fletcher got a penalty for that this weekend.

Mike in Syr. ..your commentary was too funny...Don't ever stop. Regarding the wave idiot in front of the TDB section..The radio guys on WGR commented on the Wave while the Bills had the ball and thought it was pretty stupid..Again,it is not 1985...

And the Stadium noise was at a high level...On the TV broadcast Don Criqui (sp?) commented on the high level of noise when the Jags had the ball.

I am still amazed at the start of the game and the bald eagle...That was cool.

First time I remember seeing it was during the 1984 baseball season.  I remember the Padres fans were doing it in the NLCS at the Murph.  It would explain a lot if it were true that Californians invented such a mindless activity.

29463[/snapback]

Yup, that's when I first saw it... 1984 Padres at Jack Murphy Stadium. But this Californian was ticked off seeing it during our Offense on sunday. I stayed in my seat and couldn't believe all those knuckleheads... :huh:

First time I remember seeing it was during the 1984 baseball season.  I remember the Padres fans were doing it in the NLCS at the Murph.  It would explain a lot if it were true that Californians invented such a mindless activity.

29463[/snapback]

I believe the credit for " Inventing the Wave " goes to the University of Washington football fans, around 1981-82...I've read that several times..

I believe the credit for " Inventing the Wave " goes to the University of Washington football fans, around 1981-82...I've read that several times..

32040[/snapback]

So they're the knuckleheads :huh:

And yes, Challenger the Eagle was very cool...the planes were awesome...

Ahhhh, there's nothing like opening day :(

Come to think of it.  Folks, I understand the eagle and plane flying around was cool.  Why are you cheering during the Anthem.  Please show some respect next time.  Stand stright and proud.  And be quiet.

32057[/snapback]

Because there was a timing mixup and the planes were coming over the stadium during the anthem, rather than right after it.

Alright! Cindy.  :)

Are ya sure the mountains didn't block the shot ?  :)

33355[/snapback]

Think about it Harriet -I can look up and see just fine, it's when I look down :(:doh: Was that a Blonde moment? :):angry:

I am so glad that ROCK pointed this out. I hate the Freaking wave. My interests at a Bills game are to watch whats happening on the field! I can give two stevestojans what everyone else in the crowd is doing. Im not sure who stated this on the first page of this thread, but you're right, some people have no reason to be at a Bills game. DO THE FREAKING WAVE FROM YOUR COUCH AT HOME WHEN YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT WATCHING A FOOTBALL GAME THAT YOU GOT FREE TICKETS TO.

-OUT

The Wave: Regardless of claims to the contrary, the very first "Wave," whereby fans form a wave going around the stadium by standing up, then sitting down, occurred at Husky Stadium -- the October 31, 1981 UW-Stanford game, to be precise, which the UW won 42-31 after reeling off 28 straight points to come from behind. Rob Weller, then UW yell-leader and later co-host of Entertainment Tonight, claims that the Wave was his invention. The story is that thw Wave was originally planned to rise from the lowest to the highest seats in the student section and then back down again, but it was found that this was impractical to coordinate. Instead, a left-to-right (east to west) wave was substituted, with the wave then running around the stadium's horseshoe. I personally doubt that the wave all around the stadium was actually planned -- it is much more likely, it seems to me, that the initial plan was the have the wave go left-to-right and then right-to-left within the student section, since one could hardly expect the remainder of fans (in the horseshoe end) to automatically pick up on it. That they did anyway is a credit to the enthusiasm of the typical Husky fan. Since then, practically every other place in the USA has claimed that it invented the Wave

29522[/snapback]

For fuggs sake - like the USA ACTUCALLY made up the wave. Sometimes your nation is pathetic.

The Wave originated in Mexico gaining prominence in the World Cup finals in 1970. It was then used internationally at sporting events (incl. College Football, Hockey and Pro-Football in the US). It was first seen (internationally) in Mexico City in the Azteca Stadium in 1968 during the Mexico Olympics. Mexico's right of ownership was confirmed during the Mexico World Cup two years later. It gained a 'craze' status in 184 when used in the Olyimpics Opening Ceremony in LA in 1984 which spawned the Mexican Wave craze of the 1986 world cup.

Other anecdotal, unconfirmed reports claim that the wave has long been a staple of the huge crowds at south american soccer matches for decades.

Much as I love you guys - America did NOT come up with the wave idea - though they did have a large part to play in drawing it into international conciousness.

snipped...

Much as I love you guys - America did NOT come up with the wave idea - though they did have a large part to play in drawing it into international conciousness.

33413[/snapback]

Nonsense. America invented everything. Hell, we invented gravity. :)

NOT WHEN WE'VE GOT THE BALL, OUR QB IS TRYING TO CALL PLAYS, AND OUR OFFENSIVE PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO HEAR THE FRIGGIN' CADENCE !!!!!!!!!

Jeez.  :huh:

29384[/snapback]

I think the Wave is fun and represents support for our team. Still, I can see it could be distracting to the audience and the players. Making alot of noise when our players need to hear each other is a no no, I get that. What logic!