The Wave

rockpile

Had a guy several rows in front of us who tried to get the wave going - all game long. The he expressed disgust when he got very little response from the crowd.

THEN, late in the game the whole stadium starts doing the wave. Problem was the Bills had the ball!!

I was screaming at this guy: "Sit down, WE have the ball!" but he was too pleased with himself to hear anything, and too ignorant to know the wave was intended to rattle the OTHER team with the ball. <_<

I was hoping the national media did not catch this. Made Buffalo fans look like complete maroons! ;)

Now I was next to Rock and the Wave guy was a fuggin' moron. Very annoying...also the way the crown taunted and threw peanuts and ice at two guys in our section wearing black Leftwich jerseys it was very low class ( bear prodding)......New England like.

Im there to watch the Bills... not to watch stupid ass crowd games.

I was at the game too and I could not friggin believe what I was seeing. Hey assclowns, for starters, 1984 called and they want the Wave back.

Doing the Wave is stupid to begin with. Doing it when your team has the ball in the fourth quarter of a tight game is just absolutely moronic. I was embarrassed.

There are so many fans who have no clue about what is going on during the game at anytime. They get so worked up and never used their heads. I was also at the game, and felt like the fans partaking in the wave while the Bills had the ball were like lemmings following each other off a cliff.

Also, after the first Moulds fumble (the backward lateral) this guy in front of me kept shouting at the top of his lungs complaining that it was a forward pass and not a fumble. He wanted Mularkey to review the play, but clearly it was a backward pass. Moulds had stepped behind the line about 5 yards. But this guy kept shouting at Mularkey, as if Mularkey could hear him. He continued to complain well into the Jaguars drive, even after people were explaining to him that it was clearly backwards. AND THEN, this guy kept getting up for every single play, trying to tell everyone who wasn't standing was less of a fan. I can make just as much noise while sitting down, and frankly the only time I stand up is when someone in front of me gets up and is in my way. Why do people have to make me get up? I'm going to cheer and make noise just as loud as you, but I'm sitting. That's why I paid for the seat.

I agree with you guys. It's almost embarassing and seems to happen at every game I go to. Noise on Offense, not enough noise on D. Then when I try to get my section going in the important moments on defense, people look strangely at me or tell me to sit down. It's a whole different fanbase than we had in the late eighties/early nineties.

Had a guy several rows in front of us who tried to get the wave going - all game long. The he expressed disgust when he got very little response from the crowd.

THEN, late in the game the whole stadium starts doing the wave. Problem was the Bills had the ball!!

I was screaming at this guy: "Sit down, WE have the ball!" but he was too pleased with himself to hear anything, and too ignorant to know the wave was intended to rattle the OTHER team with the ball.  :angry:

I was hoping the national media did not catch this. Made Buffalo fans look like complete maroons!  :blush:

28501[/snapback]

Well Rock this whole society is made up of wimps a panzies and its infiltrated the Bills fans .Next thing you know they will be selling cappachino (sp) in the stands ,like they do in SanFrancisco :w00t::blink: Oh and lets not for get the guy with the dog and frisbee at half time :blink:

Well Rock this whole society is made up of wimps a panzies and its infiltrated the Bills fans .Next thing you know they will be selling cappachino (sp) in the stands  ,like they do in SanFrancisco :blink:  :blush: Oh and lets not for get the guy with the dog and frisbee at half time :blink:

29107[/snapback]

Yeah who knows maybe the Bills will be selling imported beer in the stand like Labatts or something else. :angry:

The players on the sidelines were begging the fans to stop.  I was yelling at the people around me to stop it.  I was hoping they'd make an announcement over the PA but I guess that would be pretty unprecedented!

28567[/snapback]

I seem to remember one of the offensive lineman giving the "quiet down" signal to the crowd during one of the offensive series...I wonder if it was then....? :blush: What the heck, we've blamed everyone else for the loss, why not the crowd? :angry: So does that mean that on top of cutting half the starters and firing the coaching staff, the Bills will play the remainder of their home games "closed to the public?"

:blink:

No, just the ijits.

29121[/snapback]

So, what, you have to pass a test when you enter the stadium to be allowed in?

When is it appropriate to do "the Wave?"

a.) when our Offense is on the field

b.) when our Defense is on the field

c.) whenever I feel like stretching my legs

d.) whenever I feel nostalgic about fads that came and went in the '80's.

...or do they just not allow anyone in who's wearing Zubaz? :angry:

So, what, you have to pass a test when you enter the stadium to be allowed in?

When is it appropriate to do "the Wave?"

a.) when our Offense is on the field

b.) when our Defense is on the field

c.) whenever I feel like stretching my legs

d.) whenever I feel nostalgic about fads that came and went in the '80's.

...or do they just not allow anyone in who's wearing Zubaz?  :doh:

29137[/snapback]

You may be onto something here...

Of course, you have to administer the test at the gate. Then there's always the problem of people who get *more* plastered during the game.

There was a guy one section over from us who:

• could barely walk
  • looked like he had pissed down his leg
  • was trying to carry 2 more beers up the steps
  • forgot where his seats were

:angry::blush::blink::blink::w00t::w00t::doh:

This angered me as well. Absolutely un-fuggin-believeable that fans could be this dumb. The players on the sidelines were pleading with the fans to be quiet too, but to no avail.

I fuggin HATE the wave.

To all fans who participated in the wave at the Ralph yesterday..... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I'm making a sign for the next home game "Wave on DEFENSE idiots!"....And what's with some peoplle getting in with HUGE backpacks and then some of us having our small fanny packs searched for bottles?? Hopefully Guest Services will be calling me today as I filled out a complaint about all the hockey...cheerleaders...football kids selling candy and pepperoni and junk as a fundraiser. I know for a fact that Hunter's Hope asked to do some fundraising at the Ralph and was told NO!!!!! (and that was both times JK was honored!)

I do admit I love 80's music.  I would've thought the Wave was to cheer on our team, guess not.  Huh.

29338[/snapback]

NOT WHEN WE'VE GOT THE BALL, OUR QB IS TRYING TO CALL PLAYS, AND OUR OFFENSIVE PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO HEAR THE FRIGGIN' CADENCE !!!!!!!!!

Jeez. :doh:

first of all.....the wave really isnt that loud that its going to affect the players on the field. second of all.....i didnt participate because the wave is stupid. So tell me who is more stupid.....the people doing the wave on offense or the the offensive lineman taking a holding call on 3rd and 2????

first of all.....the wave really isnt that loud that its going to affect the players on the field. second of all.....i didnt participate because the wave is stupid. So tell me who is more stupid.....the people doing the wave on offense or the the offensive lineman taking a holding call on 3rd and 2????

29443[/snapback]

The people doing the wave on offense, of course. The lineman may not have had any other choice but to hold, and he may not have even held. The wave-doers, on the other hand, made a conscious decision to participate in an idiotic act. :doh:

These are the same people sitting in front of you who decide to make a beer/bathroom run at the exact moment the teams line up for a play, or worse, right in the MIDDLE of a play. If I were running things I would have gates at the end of each row and at each aisle entrance that lock shut except during timeouts and commercials. Imagine the business these guys could do with such a policy. :)

All this talk about the Wave got me a wondering...where did it orginate at?  I think that it was a college that started it, anybody know?

29452[/snapback]

First time I remember seeing it was during the 1984 baseball season. I remember the Padres fans were doing it in the NLCS at the Murph. It would explain a lot if it were true that Californians invented such a mindless activity.

All this talk about the Wave got me a wondering...where did it orginate at?  I think that it was a college that started it, anybody know?

29452[/snapback]

Not sure, but whoever it was should be shot and hung. I sometimes to do the "reverse" wave. Stand until the wave gets to me and then sit down when everyone else stands. Did I mention that I HATE the fuggin wave?

First time I remember seeing it was during the 1984 baseball season.  I remember the Padres fans were doing it in the NLCS at the Murph.  It would explain a lot if it were true that Californians invented such a mindless activity.

29463[/snapback]

I thought it started in Seattle

Info here: http://www.faqfarm.com/Sports/5561 seems to point at Husky Stadium in the late 70's.  Oakland lays claim on the first use of it in baseball (1981)....

29506[/snapback]

The Wave: Regardless of claims to the contrary, the very first "Wave," whereby fans form a wave going around the stadium by standing up, then sitting down, occurred at Husky Stadium -- the October 31, 1981 UW-Stanford game, to be precise, which the UW won 42-31 after reeling off 28 straight points to come from behind. Rob Weller, then UW yell-leader and later co-host of Entertainment Tonight, claims that the Wave was his invention. The story is that thw Wave was originally planned to rise from the lowest to the highest seats in the student section and then back down again, but it was found that this was impractical to coordinate. Instead, a left-to-right (east to west) wave was substituted, with the wave then running around the stadium's horseshoe. I personally doubt that the wave all around the stadium was actually planned -- it is much more likely, it seems to me, that the initial plan was the have the wave go left-to-right and then right-to-left within the student section, since one could hardly expect the remainder of fans (in the horseshoe end) to automatically pick up on it. That they did anyway is a credit to the enthusiasm of the typical Husky fan. Since then, practically every other place in the USA has claimed that it invented the Wave