Lenny P says Reed needs to deliver:

Here's a look at a half-dozen young wide receivers who, for various reasons, have not played up to expectations and could be running out of time:

• Josh Reed (Buffalo): After averaging 47.5 receptions in his first two seasons, Reed fell off to just 16 catches last year, in part because of injuries. But the former LSU star, a second-round pick in 2002, has suffered more than just physical setbacks. Reed has suffered mental lapses and also a lack of confidence. Last year, he was eclipsed by first-round pick Lee Evans. This year, the Bills chose Roscoe Parrish in the second round of the draft and spent much of the spring lauding his quickness. Many scouts always felt that Reed, when he came out of college, best projected to playing the slot position at the NFL level. He'll get that opportunity in 2005, but will have to step up and start delivering plays.

Sorry if already posted.

I don't think he makes it out of Rochester, unless he surprises everyone!

374653[/snapback]

I think he will be a Bill post camp because:

1. Even in his disappointing seasons the Josh Reed MO has been that he is a workout warrior who looks good in camo though he disappoints in regular season. I think he will likely look impressive in pre-season though he may well disappoint in regular season.

2. Reed has shown that there is a big difference between how you practice and how you perform, in addition to having a few key plays in pre-season games as mentioned above, he will likely look good from Friday to Saturday though this well may not translate to Sunday.

3. His contract is such that we have already paid him 400K + of his near million dollar salary, the braintrust will be reluctant to cut him as they have already spent above the rookie minimum for him and a cut would subsidize aniother team.

4. We likely will have the space for him despite the huge number of WRs in camp. I think we can keep up to 6 WRs with one space allocated to a WR who really is a KO guy. The 6 are definites Moulds/Evans/Parrish and likelies Reed/Aiken and Smith. Things can hapen like someone else (Brown perhaps) steps up and impresses and forces his way onto the roster as a scrub WR did a few years ago (Clarence something or other). However, even this possibility forces a choice between Reed and Aiken and Aiken is ahead of Reed last year based on performance since an injury riddled Reed did nothing last year, but Aiken did not take the position by the throat either.

In my mimd, the key to this is going to be ST performance for a player who I think is likely to be #4 on the depth chart if Parrish plays as advertised. Reed's mental lapses appear to be in regular season game performance where he has gotten the droppsies before. Mentally he stays in his lane and will pump iron in the locker room and with his cap hit whether you cut him or not that should keep him here.

Deliver Dominoes or Pizza Hut?

374655[/snapback]

damn, beat me to it. that was my first thought upon reading the thread title. ;)

reed is history unless he has had some sort of epiphany this offseason.

I totally agree with this assessment and prediction.

I also agree with the premise that Reed needs a big season to be resigned. I have my doubts that he can do this. Early in his career I was convinced he would be a great rec (not just a good one). Staring with his drop of the flea flicker in the 31-0 drubbing of the patriots 2 years ago, reed has done nothing but disappoint and my expectations are now low for him. Too bad. My cnjbbb friends bought me a Reed jersey 3 years ago.

;)

I think he will be a Bill post camp because:

1. Even in his disappointing seasons the Josh Reed MO has been that he is a workout warrior who looks good in camo though he disappoints in regular season.  I think he will likely look impressive in pre-season though he may well disappoint in regular season.

2. Reed has shown that there is a big difference between how you practice and how you perform, in addition to having a few key plays in pre-season games as mentioned above, he will likely look good from Friday to Saturday though this well may not translate to Sunday.

3. His contract is such that we have already paid him 400K + of his near million dollar salary, the braintrust will be reluctant to cut him as they have already spent above the rookie minimum for him and a cut would subsidize aniother team.

4. We likely will have the space for him despite the huge number of WRs in camp.  I think we can keep up to 6 WRs with one space allocated to a WR who really is a KO guy. The 6 are definites Moulds/Evans/Parrish and likelies Reed/Aiken and Smith.  Things can hapen like someone else (Brown perhaps) steps up and impresses and forces his way onto the roster as a scrub WR did a few years ago (Clarence something or other). However, even this possibility forces a choice between Reed and Aiken and Aiken is ahead of Reed last year based on performance since an injury riddled Reed did nothing last year, but Aiken did not take the position by the throat either.

In my mimd, the key to this is going to be ST performance for a player who I think is likely to be #4 on the depth chart if Parrish plays as advertised. Reed's mental lapses appear to be in regular season game performance where he has gotten the droppsies before. Mentally he stays in his lane and will pump iron in the locker room and with his cap hit whether you cut him or not that should keep him here.

374686[/snapback]

He will be the #4 WR in the league best rec. core!!!

Uh, no.

The League best receiver CORPS may be:

Oakland's (WR Ronald Curry joins Randy Moss and Jerry Porter)

or Indy's (Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne on the wings, Brandon Stokley in the slot and up-and-coming tight end Dallas Clark)

or Jacksonville (Jimmy Smith , Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford)

or maybe even the Lions (Mike Williams to go with Roy Williams and a healthy Charles Rogers )

or Texans (Andre Johnson, Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney along with rookie speedster Jerome Mathis).

Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and Reed would rate below Oakland, Detroit, and Indy, and for now above Jax and Texans.

I was at the Stadium last week (for business) and was told "it very quiet ....with many of the coaches and players gone until training camp begins." Then we bump into Josh Reed. He was the only player I saw, all day.

I don't think he makes it out of Rochester, unless he surprises everyone!

374653[/snapback]

I don't think so...We still need a 4th WR....I don't see any one else on this

roster who is better than Josh Reed for that 4th spot....Aiken has shown

nothing for me...At least we have seen two decent years of Josh Reed.

or Jacksonville (Jimmy Smith , Reggie Williams,  Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford)

374761[/snapback]

Hardly...jax is one of the most overrated teams in the NFL...jimmy smith is close to the end of his career, he was solid last year, but not dominating like he has been in the past, williams is only gonna be a second year player who has yet to show much, same goes for wilford...and matt jones, for all his athletic ability, is still a huge question mark...

smith was the only jag last season to catch more than 2 TD's

Hardly...jax is one of the most overrated teams in the NFL...jimmy smith is close to the end of his career, he was solid last year, but not dominating like he has been in the past, williams is only gonna be a second year player who has yet to show much, same goes for wilford...and matt jones, for all his athletic ability, is still a huge question mark...

smith was the only jag last season to catch more than 2 TD's

374825[/snapback]

Hmmm...finished '04 at 9 and 7, same as the Bills...

Uh, no.

The League best receiver CORPS may be:

Oakland's (WR Ronald Curry joins Randy Moss and Jerry Porter)

or Indy's (Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne on the wings, Brandon Stokley in the slot and up-and-coming tight end Dallas Clark)

or Jacksonville (Jimmy Smith , Reggie Williams,  Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford)

or maybe even the Lions (Mike Williams to go with Roy Williams and a healthy Charles Rogers )

or Texans (Andre Johnson, Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney along with rookie speedster Jerome Mathis).

Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and Reed would rate below Oakland, Detroit,  and Indy, and for now above Jax and Texans.

374761[/snapback]

must you forget about the Cardinals? (Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald) pretty young and solid core, with Johnson starting to come close to the first round value that he was drafted at

....in other startling news, Lenny proclaims that the sun came up today, and may very well do the same thing tomorrow. At least it better, if it wants to stay on the roster.

I wish Josh all the luck in the world.....but something is telling me that he just does not have the mental strength to get it done........

I think Parrish is going to take his job in camp......

374886[/snapback]

I think Parrish has already taken Reed's job as the slot/3rd wr. They want that speed and quickness. I think it's Roscoe's job to lose. Reed will probably make the roster though, because IMO, they haven't brought anyone else in to push Reed and Aiken.