Mack Hollins in the Locker Room

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Really really not trying to be a cynic but didn't Josh say the same things about Kumerow? 

The difference is that he was answering a question about Kumerow. No one had asked Josh, or Beane about Hollins when they brought him up. They've both mentioned Hollins several times now, without provocation. That's why I started this thread-- It really struck me that after acquiring so many WRs this offseason, that he would be the guy they would mention first. 

On 5/25/2024 at 4:08 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. If Hollins makes the 53, he'll be #4 on the depth chart at best, and a likely core special teamer. Somehow that long, and varied list of WRs has something to do with Hollins? If you're in search of some sort of confirmation bias on Beane's ability to build a roster, I'd say you have fallen short.

The point is simple.  The above guys were brought in by Beane to solve his WR room issues. All made the 53, all had at least one thread dedicated to the impact they were going to have.  How long did they last? One after another, they came and went, to be replaced by the next....

On 5/25/2024 at 9:49 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Beane bringing in "a veteran/leader" to the WR room, you say?

Now that I consider it, given Beane's track record at this, Hollis could well be the next Kelvin Benjamin/Andre Holmes/Deonte Thompson/Terelle Pryor/Jeremy Kerley/Andre Roberts/Duke Williams/Emanuel Sanders/Jameson Crowder/Brown+Beasely 2.0/Deonte Harty/Andy Isabella/Trent Sherfield...

... and that's just the list of jabronies who made the roster.

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point is simple.  The above guys were brought in by Beane to solve his WR room issues. All made the 53, all had at least one thread dedicated to the impact they were going to have.  How long did they last? One after another, they came and went, to be replaced by the next....

When Beane traded a 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin in his 4th year, and assumed his fully-guaranteed 5th year option (already picked up by CAR) he expected him to "solve his WR room issues".  Emmanuel Sanders was also brought in to start as a John Brown replacement, a guy fast enough to get open down field and be #2 opposite Diggs.  Jameson Crowder was brought in as Plan B in case McKenzie couldn't justify increased playing time.  Those 3 guys were, in fact, intended to be starters or potential starters ("solve issues in the WR room"). Benjamin got injured and lost motivation, Sanders and Crowder just got injured.  Bad on Beane that he couldn't predict that I guess?  Sanders and Crowder played well before they were injured.

Deonte Harty was a whiff by Beane, I grant that.

If you're trying to make a "simple" point that the rest of that gang were brought in to "solve our WR issues", your point sailed "wide right.  Andre Holmes, Andre Roberts, Jake Kumerow, Trent Sherfield, and now Mack Hollins were brought in as excellent ST who could "back up" the starters at WR.  That would be a very strange definition of "brought in to solve WR issues".   [Folks here can disagree that it's worthwhile to give a #5 or #6 slot to a ST player, but it's how Beane and McDermott roll, and that's different than pretending they were "brought in to solve our WR issues".  They weren't.

Duke Williams and Andy Isabella were both brought in as guys with the physical talent to succeed in the NFL, who could play on the Scout Team and maybe be elevated and fill in for a game or two if someone got hurt.  I know it fights the "narrative" here, but same is true of Brown and Beasley 2.0: they weren't brought in to "solve WR issues", they were signed to the PS to be elevated and available in case of injury to starters at the end of the season, when we had already lost 2 WR to IR.

Kerley Thompson, and Pryor were signed in 2018, when we didn't have a WR room beyond Fat Kelvin and Bath Salts Jones.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So much silliness in such a short response!

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

When Beane traded a 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin in his 4th year, and assumed his fully-guaranteed 5th year option (already picked up by CAR) he expected him to "solve his WR room issues".  Emmanuel Sanders was also brought in to start as a John Brown replacement, a guy fast enough to get open down field and be #2 opposite Diggs.  Jameson Crowder was brought in as Plan B in case McKenzie couldn't justify increased playing time.  Those 3 guys were, in fact, intended to be starters or potential starters ("solve issues in the WR room"). Benjamin got injured and lost motivation, Sanders and Crowder just got injured.  Bad on Beane that he couldn't predict that I guess?  Sanders and Crowder played well before they were injured.

If you're trying to make a "simple" point that the rest of that gang were brought in to "solve our WR issues", your point sailed "wide right.  Andre Holmes, Andre Roberts, Jake Kumerow, Trent Sherfield, and now Mack Hollins were brought in as excellent ST who could "back up" the starters at WR.  That would be a very strange definition of "brought in to solve WR issues".   [Folks here can disagree that it's worthwhile to give a #5 or #6 slot to a ST player, but it's how Beane and McDermott roll, and that's different than pretending they were "brought in to solve our WR issues".  They weren't.

Duke Williams and Andy Isabella were both brought in as guys with the physical talent to succeed in the NFL, who could play on the Scout Team and maybe be elevated and fill in for a game or two if someone got hurt.  I know it fights the "narrative" here, but same is true of Brown and Beasley 2.0: they weren't brought in to "solve WR issues", they were signed to the PS to be elevated and available in case of injury to starters at the end of the season, when we had already lost 2 WR to IR.

Kerley Thompson, and Pryor were signed in 2018, when we didn't have a WR room beyond Fat Kelvin and Bath Salts Jones.

Kerley joined a room that also included  Robert Foster in 2018...were Kerley and Pryor brought in for ST?

Sanders as a #2, "stretching the field"...on his 6th team in 12 years (4th in 3 seasons)?  At age 34?  Come on!  Anyway he sprained his knee in week 14, back in week 16. They released him at the end and he retired.

Andre Holmes and Andre Roberts were brought in as excellent ST players and "backup starters" at WRs?  They were backing up the star packed WR room of Benjamin, Bath Salt Jones, "Kerley Thompson and Pryor"??  good point!

Crowder was pushing 30 , sparing used in 4 games then got hurt. As a receiver in the NFl, he was pretty much done--except the inept Commanders couldn't resist giving him more money for nothing. 

As it turns out, Duke Williams clearly did not have the talent to play in the NFL---and he had never demonstrated such before Beane figured he would be good enough for the Bills.  Isabella has yet to make any impact at all in the NFL.  He touched the ball once for the Bills.  25 ST snaps.  2 Offensive snaps.  It's a waste of a roster spot--a guy you can't use anywhere.

Brown (32.0), despite being passed around by 3 teams the previous season (and recording zero catches), was "elevated" off the PS 5 days after signing and played in their next 2 games.  Other receivers in the game were Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Knox, Shakir.....

The draft was always available to address the WR room...

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Kerley joined a room that also included  Robert Foster in 2018...were Kerley and Pryor brought in for ST?

Sanders as a #2, "stretching the field"...on his 6th team in 12 years (4th in 3 seasons)?  At age 34?  Come on!  Anyway he sprained his knee in week 14, back in week 16. They released him at the end and he retired.

Andre Holmes and Andre Roberts were brought in as excellent ST players and "backup starters" at WRs?  They were backing up the star packed WR room of Benjamin, Bath Salt Jones, "Kerley Thompson and Pryor"??  good point!

Crowder was pushing 30 , sparing used in 4 games then got hurt. As a receiver in the NFl, he was pretty much done--except the inept Commanders couldn't resist giving him more money for nothing. 

As it turns out, Duke Williams clearly did not have the talent to play in the NFL---and he had never demonstrated such before Beane figured he would be good enough for the Bills.  Isabella has yet to make any impact at all in the NFL.  He touched the ball once for the Bills.  25 ST snaps.  2 Offensive snaps.  It's a waste of a roster spot--a guy you can't use anywhere.

Brown (32.0), despite being passed around by 3 teams the previous season (and recording zero catches), was "elevated" off the PS 5 days after signing and played in their next 2 games.  Other receivers in the game were Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Knox, Shakir.....

The draft was always available to address the WR room...

Good heavens. 

If your point is that every one of these WRs was brought in to fill some role as a... WR, then, uh... I guess I agree with you(?). But, if you're still trying to sell some point that all of these guys were brought in to fill the same role that Hollins will likely fill (which again, is a #4-#6 situational WR, and core ST, with the bonus of being a leader on the practice field) then you're still wrong.

Posted (edited)

IMO roster locks:

Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

MVS
Hollins

Claypool has the ability to get himself on the field as a starter if he works for it with the right attitude. 

In that scenario, maybe he alternates with Keon on the boundary. 

Or they both play outside with Samuel, Shakir, MVS moving around inside as well

I also think at the present, the depth won't be as much of a factor as previous years.   Unless we trade for someone next week,

I think the top 5 WR's will each get a fair amount of playing time 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO roster locks:

Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

MVS
Hollins

Claypool has the ability to get himself on the field as a starter if he works for it with the right attitude. 

I also think at the present, the depth won't be as much of a factor as previous years.   Unless we trade for someone next week,

First 4 definitely locks.  I give Hollins about a 90% chance of a lock going into camp.

It sure is going to be a dog fight for the 6th WR spot and the primary PS slot.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO roster locks:

Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

MVS
Hollins

Not sure why you would consider MVS a roster lock?

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

Not sure why you would consider MVS a roster lock?

I think he's a lock too.  $2.25M fully guaranteed.  If he shows any rhythm with Josh on the long ball in camp, he makes the team IMO.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think he's a lock too.  $2.25M fully guaranteed.  If he shows any rhythm with Josh on the long ball in camp, he makes the team IMO.

AS I understand (and I'm terrible with these contract issues), When a player is released after June 1, the team is again relieved of paying that player's base salary for the year in which he is released (and all future years) and the only amount that counts against the team's Cap in that year is the player's bonus proration for that year. Which I think means that the cap hit if MVS is cut before the regular season would be $225,000. IMO, that doesn't make him a lock.

36 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

AS I understand (and I'm terrible with these contract issues), When a player is released after June 1, the team is again relieved of paying that player's base salary for the year in which he is released (and all future years) and the only amount that counts against the team's Cap in that year is the player's bonus proration for that year. Which I think means that the cap hit if MVS is cut before the regular season would be $225,000. IMO, that doesn't make him a lock.

He was signed to a fully guaranteed 1 year contract.  It costs $2.25M if he is released anytime before the season.

Once the season starts it's still guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/25275/marquez-valdes-scantling

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Was any WR ever added to the roster for the purpose of improving the WR room?