What's your interest level in the Buffalo Bandits?

I recognize most of the posters on this side of the board are not currently living in WNY and they might not even know who the Bandits are LOL.  For those that still live in WNY what is your interest level in the Bandits?  I'm diehard when it comes to the Bills and Sabres but I just can't find myself getting into the Bandits even though they are about to play for their 2nd consecutive Championship tonight.  They do have a nice niche following around here but it's nothing like it would be if the Sabres were in the playoffs right now.  I believe the game is being aired live on some channel here tonight but I don't even know if I can sit through the entire game.  

*For those that don't know the Bandits are the professional indoor Lacrosse team we have in Buffalo.  To be fair they are the most successful professional sports franchise we have ever seen in Buffalo haha 

17 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I recognize most of the posters on this side of the board are not currently living in WNY and they might not even know who the Bandits are LOL.  For those that still live in WNY what is your interest level in the Bandits?  I'm diehard when it comes to the Bills and Sabres but I just can't find myself getting into the Bandits even though they are about to play for their 2nd consecutive Championship tonight.  They do have a nice niche following around here but it's nothing like it would be if the Sabres were in the playoffs right now.  I believe the game is being aired live on some channel here tonight but I don't even know if I can sit through the entire game.  

*For those that don't know the Bandits are the professional indoor Lacrosse team we have in Buffalo.  To be fair they are the most successful professional sports franchise we have ever seen in Buffalo haha 

I don't watch indoor but I've watched some college lax (Maryland) the past few years. Just saw them beat Duke today to make it to the semi's next weekend. It's a fun sport to watch even though I'm not 100% on all the rules. I think our local indoor team is relocating off Long Island, but that's a non-issue for me.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't watch indoor but I've watched some college lax (Maryland) the past few years. Just saw them beat Duke today to make it to the semi's next weekend. It's a fun sport to watch even though I'm not 100% on all the rules. I think our local indoor team is relocating off Long Island, but that's a non-issue for me.

Yeah I played a little lacrosse in high school so it's not an issue of not liking or appreciating the sport of lacrosse for me but I have trouble getting any emotions tied up over the Bandits.  I think a big part of being a Sports fan as an adult is the memories and feelings you associate it with childhood but I didn't pay any attention to the Bandits growing up 

27 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Same here. I like to watch outdoor lacrosse, but IMHO it does not translate well to indoors. The same applies to a number of sports. Indoor soccer is an atrocity, unless you need a sport for your kids in winter. Perhaps someone can come up with ideas for indoor polo - that would be a hoot.

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I started watching last year. Took a while to pick up the rules. If you love hitting this is your sport. It's nice that a Buffalo team is dominant in their sport.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yeah I played a little lacrosse in high school so it's not an issue of not liking or appreciating the sport of lacrosse for me but I have trouble getting any emotions tied up over the Bandits.  I think a big part of being a Sports fan as an adult is the memories and feelings you associate it with childhood but I didn't pay any attention to the Bandits growing up 

Agreed. Having an emotional tie to a team is huge for me. I got into UMD lacrosse when my son was a freshman and he was playing in the pep band so we went to a game and loved it. Turned out they were national champs that year which made it more fun to watch. My guess is that after my son graduates I'll drift away from lacrosse.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I started watching last year. Took a while to pick up the rules. If you love hitting this is your sport. It's nice that a Buffalo team is dominant in their sport.

I have a hard time figuring out what constitutes a penalty. As best as I can tell it's the difference between assault and felonious assault. And who the hell wants to play goalie?  Much respect for those that play the position without pads.

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I might have heard of them before your thread but my knowledge of the team and league is zilch.

That being said I did a little research on the league itself.  I feel like it might have some old school sports charm in that the players are most likely doing it as a labor of love.  Being what google has as the average salary for players in the league the players must all have other jobs in the offseason.   Especially if they have a family.

But pro baseball and football was like that at one time way way way back as well.  I think the Browns even have the numbers retired of some players that died in the off season doing other jobs.

The league isn't my thing and most likely won't ever be.  That being said I never played lacrosse.  And I don't dismiss the league at all.  

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The only Buffalo team that can actually close the deal.

Lou and the Bills did it twice... there was nowhere higher to go at that time.

Bandits have the best logo in the league imo...

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I might have heard of them before your thread but my knowledge of the team and league is zilch.

That being said I did a little research on the league itself.  I feel like it might have some old school sports charm in that the players are most likely doing it as a labor of love.  Being what google has as the average salary for players in the league the players must all have other jobs in the offseason.   Especially if they have a family.

But pro baseball and football was like that at one time way way way back as well.  I think the Browns even have the numbers retired of some players that died in the off season doing other jobs.

The league isn't my thing and most likely won't ever be.  That being said I never played lacrosse.  And I don't dismiss the league at all.  

Yeah like I said in my original post if you don't live in Buffalo I wouldn't expect you to know the Bandits especially with you being in the NYC/NJ sports market.  It's a very niche league and made up of mostly smaller area teams such as Albany and Rochester but I know places like Toronto and Philly have teams too so it's not all smaller cities.  Living around here you definitely know about the Bandits.  When I was running errands today there were people out and about wearing Bandits gear.  It's kind of a big deal today but nothing like it would be for the Bills or Sabres.  Although rare I know I have seen Bandits highlights on Sportscenter before

41 minutes ago, T&C said:

Lou and the Bills did it twice... there was nowhere higher to go at that time.

Bandits have the best logo in the league imo...

And then there was a higher place to go and they lost, at home.

1965 was a really long time ago and yeah it happened but I have zero emotional attachment to that. I was far from being born. My parents were 15 and 13 respectively. My mother's parents were alive, young, and had season tickets in the Rockpile. 

The Bandits are the only team that I've watched win. I've watched the others blow it several times. They are the only one I've watched actually win something. That gives them a special place.

McDermott should bring them in to talk to the boys about how to close out a game when it matters.

Adams should have them in for the Sabres too. I didn't see any crowd issues tonight. Lots of energy. Why? The team wins. Stop sulking like spoiled brats and play better. You'll get all the support you can ask for.

• Agree 1

Been a fan since their inception. Had seasons in the 90s before I left.

Bandits and their fans are envied and loathed by the rest of the league.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

4 hours ago, DrW said:

Same here. I like to watch outdoor lacrosse, but IMHO it does not translate well to indoors. The same applies to a number of sports. Indoor soccer is an atrocity, unless you need a sport for your kids in winter. Perhaps someone can come up with ideas for indoor polo - that would be a hoot.

I've lived in Richmond, Virginia since 1975, moved here when I was 5 years old. I still love all Buffalo teams. I don't know much about lacrosse but have fun with indoor and outdoor and actually I prefer indoor. It reminds me more of hockey for obvious reasons but I think outdoor is still way better than soccer.

Super happy for Buffalo.The place was packed.They love the team. It's s very exciting.I wish I was there to see it!

• Like (+1) 2

How many lacrosse teams are there? If there were at least 20 I’d start following it 

it kind of has the feel of minor league hockey. I grew up in Rochester as an Amerks fan. You can get excited but at the end of the day it’s not the main stage or the biggest thing around 

• Like (+1) 1