Where do you see this OL in a couple years?

I'd say I see the OL lined up in front of the QB in a couple of years barring any rule changes. 

If they can build on the depth while the line is pretty good they can create a easy path for turnover. This is definitely a wait and see type of question.

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm leaning towards neither unless Rousseau finally hits his ceiling this year. We can't afford a mid-tier EDGE rusher who will probably get paid $10M+ and I don't think RT is important enough to give out a massive contract extension. I would let both walk and use the resulting savings to pay for a true difference making EDGE, and hopefully it will go better than the last time we tried that.

I hear ya. 

problem is difference making EDGEs rarely hit FA unless they are old or injured. 

I also think with these scrambling QB’s, and the way defenses move their EDGE players around, good RT’s are becoming more and more valuable. I’d also like some long term stability at one of the book end positions if Dawkins doesn’t finish his extension (which I suspect may be likely).

100% agreement in Rousseau. He’s closer to prime Shaq Lawson than a difference maker and that’s a player you let the Panthers overpay for in FA. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm leaning towards neither unless Rousseau finally hits his ceiling this year. We can't afford a mid-tier EDGE rusher who will probably get paid $10M+ and I don't think RT is important enough to give out a massive contract extension. I would let both walk and use the resulting savings to pay for a true difference making EDGE, and hopefully it will go better than the last time we tried that.

In relation to Brown … let’s see how he goes this year …If his play warrants a second contract then I got no issues if the Bills pay him …

They can pay 2-3 guys on the line a year IMO…and have the other 2 on rookie deals ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Unless Rousseau puts up double digit sacks I let him go. He has not been a difference maker at all. He's better than Epenesa but that's a low bar.

If Brown has another good year I pay him. It took several years and several tries to find a competent RT to protect Allen. It is antiquated thinking that RT is less important than LT. 

They will need to move on from Dawkins in a year or two and that will require a high draft pick to replace. They can't afford to use two high draft picks on OT in the next few years. 

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:02 PM, GreggTX said:

We drafted a few OL in later rounds, but this was a deep draft for OL talent. What does the future look like? Will our OL be better than ever? They looked good last year, but not great. I think Josh's mobility made them look much better like when Flutie played vs Rob Johnson the sack magnet. Will we run a little more perhaps?

What's your prediction a couple years out?

I would also prefer that Grable takes the 9th spot. In my mind the only way La'el Collins should make the team is if he dramatically outperforms Van Demark or Grable. Otherwise, go with the guys who are younger, cheaper and controlled longer. 

I do recall the mention of Will Clapp, but I didn't take that as Beane alluding to a better chance of making the roster than we think. It felt more like him saying they didn't feel any pressure to take a C as insurance for McGovern because they had already brought Clapp in. Same thing here for me, go with Van Pran-Granger (VPG) and take your chances with trying to put Clapp on the practice squad if you want the insurance after roster cut downs. 

For the record, I'm hopeful that VPG is able to play well enough at C to allow McGovern to move back to LG. I'll feel so much better about our offensive line if we're just replacing the C position and the rest is status quo. 

Dawkins (2027) - McGovern (2025) - Van Pran-Granger (2027) - Torrence (2026) - Brown (2024)

Van Demark (2025) - Edwards (2025) - Anderson (2025) - Grable (2027)

There's a chance this could be your OL room for 2024 and 2025 (possibly longer). Although I'm still somewhat skeptical we pursue an extension with Brown until after the season. 

Spencer brown is not a pro bowler, but he's played pretty well here.  I do think savings from diggs can be put into a contract for a RT - Brown or someone else.  Either way i don't know that we draft this player either necessarily.  So... I'd see it as 

LT: Dawkins (He is 29, so i don't see him dropping off a cliff anytime soon and his contract is super adjustable with large 26, and 27 base salaries)

LG: Probably not here yet -- I think this is something you can fill in the draft without spending a 1st.  

C : Long name guy, i give him a year probably unless you need something different at the position

RG: Cyrus

RT: Brown or FA

On 5/1/2024 at 12:20 AM, gonzo1105 said:

A couple of years out?

LT- Dawkins

LG- McGovern

C- Van Pran

RG- Torrence

RT- Who knows (I think Spencer Brown gets transition tagged then is traded or gone)

Why would we get rid of Spencer Brown?

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Why would we get rid of Spencer Brown?

I didn’t say we were going to get rid of him but look at the escalation of salaries for RTs. You’re looking at between 15-20 Mill AAV for Brown. 

39 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I didn’t say we were going to get rid of him but look at the escalation of salaries for RTs. You’re looking at between 15-20 Mill AAV for Brown. 

They will be able to afford it. Torrence will still be on his rookie deal. If the Georgia kid is playing center he will be cheap. And Dawkins replacement will probably be on a rookie deal for several years. 

Then you pay Brown for a few years then as Torrence and the new LT need to get paid you move on from Brown.

Easier said than done but they can pay Brown if he earns an extension.

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Dawkins might be gone in 2026 …certainly they aren’t paying him what he signed for come 2027..

Like I said before … if Browns play warrants  it … extend him …

They have had years of bad play at this position…

4 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

LT: Dawkins (He is 29, so i don't see him dropping off a cliff anytime soon and his contract is super adjustable with large 26, and 27 base salaries)

Dawkins is 30…realistically he has 2-3 years ..