WrestleMania 40-welcome to the Levesque era

TBBills Fan

Anyone else watch?

I've been a fan for close to 40 years.  That may have been the best one ever.

Vince was a monster, and the change of fresh leadership with HHH has made wrestling fun again!

I Gotta give HHH his flowers.  

They had some amazing matches and moments.  

Rollins Vs DM hunk was a banger. Great action. 

Both main events and how they did it, amazing. 

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Anyone else watch?

I've been a fan for close to 40 years.  That may have been the best one ever.

Vince was a monster, and the change of fresh leadership with HHH has made wrestling fun again!

They had some amazing matches and moments.  

Rollins Vs DM hunk was a banger. Great action. 

Both main events and how they did it, amazing. 

Night 2 better than night 1 but both were real good! 

The overbooking of the main event actually worked for me, though I thought Stone Cold would have fit better with his history with the Rock than the Undertaker did.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Night 2 better than night 1 but both were real good! 

The overbooking of the main event actually worked for me, though I thought Stone Cold would have fit better with his history with the Rock than the Undertaker did.

Night 2 but it's close for me.  

I loved the over booking.  We expected to see stars from the past, and this is the first WrestleMania where a old school stars role had some meaning in the story and the WWE universe as opposed to a token pop

I heard it was supposed to be stone cold, but there was a personal issue. His wife is I'll I guess.  Undertaker being the locker room leader, putting rocky in check was great.  All the extra in the main event made sense, had meaning. That was just entertaining and it made sense in a way we would have never seen before.  

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Agree 1

For me, it was all about Heyman. What a speech. Dreamer should have inducted him. 

And I'd be willing to bet Stone Cold was who they wanted but couldn't reach an agreement on $$$. A total shame because he would've blown that place sky high. 

I fell out of being a fan with the Cena/PG era. I think HHH has a way better pulse on what fans want to see. This could turn the tide back over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Fr. Jerk said:

For me, it was all about Heyman. What a speech. Dreamer should have inducted him. 

And I'd be willing to bet Stone Cold was who they wanted but couldn't reach an agreement on $$$. A total shame because he would've blown that place sky high. 

I fell out of being a fan with the Cena/PG era. I think HHH has a way better pulse on what fans want to see. This could turn the tide back over. 

Yeah the hall of fame speech was also the best ever given in my opinion.  

Yeah, that's when I fell out then I came back a bit starting maybe 2016

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

Night 2 but it's close for me.  

I loved the over booking.  We expected to see stars from the past, and this is the first WrestleMania where a old school stars role had some meaning in the story and the wee universe as opposed to a token pop

I heard it was supposed to be stone cold, but there was a personal issue. His wife is I'll I guess.  Undertaker being the locker room leader, putting rocky in check was great.  All the extra in the main event made sense, had meaning. That was just entertaining and it made sense in a way we would have never seen before.  

Didnt know that, but makes sense, plus Taker had lost to Roman at WM so it does make some sense for him, but all around great stuff. Cody winning was great to see. Also loved the Rollins Drew match too!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Didnt know that, but makes sense, plus Taker had lost to Roman at WM so it does make some sense for him, but all around great stuff. Cody winning was great to see. Also loved the Rollins Drew match too!

Match of the night in my opinion was Seth and Drew. (With a cash in!)  So well done

It was terrific.

I too was expecting stone cold, but I gotta say, for some reason, the undertaker wasn't even on my radar.

I too like how the legends were a part of the plot instead of fight in some sort of degrading battle Royale.

You could tell it was different.  It seemed edgier, and It seems everyone involved was having a blast.  

*I'm usually a modern wwe pessimist

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

Saw this video a long time ago.

Made me enjoy his story, guys an incredible heel.

Guy who made the video might be like an actual monster though just a disclaimer, not that there's anything in the video, just something that you go "well *****." when you read the YouTube comments after watching a video.

Edited by Warcodered

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Saw this video a long time ago.

Made me enjoy his story, guys an incredible heel.

Guy who made the video might be like an actual monster though just a disclaimer, not that there's anything in the video, just something that you go "well *****." when you read the YouTube comments after watching a video.

I'll check it out lol

46 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It was terrific.

I too was expecting stone cold, but I gotta say, for some reason, the undertaker wasn't even on my radar.

I too like how the legends were a part of the plot instead of fight in some sort of degrading battle Royale.

You could tell it was different.  It seemed edgier, and It seems everyone involved was having a blast.  

*I'm usually a modern wwe pessimist

I agree with everything you said.  Well stated

I caught the main events both nights, plus the Kelce cameo on night 1.  I haven't really watched or followed since the early-mid 2000's but have heard enough names to almost know who the newer/younger wrestlers are.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I caught the main events both nights, plus the Kelce cameo on night 1.  I haven't really watched or followed since the early-mid 2000's but have heard enough names to almost know who the newer/younger wrestlers are.  

What did you think?

9 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Most of the match outcomes were predictable which made it underwhelming. It would have been much more interesting if Cody had lost.

They did that last year, they could have mixed up some other results though if they wanted to make it unpredictable. That one was a given though, and needed to open up fresher story lines for the year

11 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Most of the match outcomes were predictable which made it underwhelming. It would have been much more interesting if Cody had lost.

Usually I hate predictable.  Wrestlemania was always really a predictable event, and it wasn't often my favorite PPV when I was a regular watcher.  

I will say though, even though all the predictable results came in, it was fun.  It was a great crowd, and as I mentioned earlier, everyone involved seemed to be having the time of their lives. 

The challenge for the WWE now is how to make it unpredictable and captivating, and getting their stars to stand on their own... and without an off the hook Philly crowd eating everything up.  

It does seem like there is more of a willingness to push the line a bit, as I see a lot of swearing and kind of edgier content which will help.  Not expecting Attitude Era or anything, but the audience needs to get that "anything can happen" feeling again.  

13 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

What did you think?

I liked it, but not enough to make me a regular viewer again.  I fully expected the run in's during the Roman/Cody match the second night, but the happiness/camaraderie after the match seemed genuine, especially Cody going around on the way out and thanking the camera crew.  Looked like they were not expecting that.  I would like to know what Hunter was whispering to him in the ring.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I liked it, but not enough to make me a regular viewer again.  I fully expected the run in's during the Roman/Cody match the second night, but the happiness/camaraderie after the match seemed genuine, especially Cody going around on the way out and thanking the camera crew.  Looked like they were not expecting that.  I would like to know what Hunter was whispering to him in the ring.  

I agree that was very real all those emotions. Samantha Irvin the announcer was crying 

50 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I agree that was very real all those emotions. Samantha Irvin the announcer was crying 

She is insufferable with her constant yelling. Someone needs to explain to her what a microphone does.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Loved it, I will say since Trips officially took over it’s been great to watch.

Is he really in charge of the WWE. I would think Stephanie or Shane is the real power behind the scenes.

I'm asking because I haven't watched the WWE in quite some time (I'm an AEW guy), and I'm legitimately curious...

Have the shows since 'Mania cut down on all the talking? Is there more of a focus on the actual, um...wrestling?

Because I had read that the first Raw after 'Mania opened with a 47 minute talk/promo segment between The Rock and Cody Rhodes. And if that's the case, I'm curious to know what feels different to people about the Levesque era than the era that proceeded it.

I'm not crapping on the WWE. I'm forever part of team "let people like things", and if people are enjoying the Fed right now, I'm happy for them. I'm just curious what people feel is separating Levesque's direction from what came before.

Edited by Logic

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Is he really in charge of the WWE. I would think Stephanie or Shane is the real power behind the scenes.

He’s the Chief Creative Officer, Shane and Steph are no longer with the company (although Steph is expected back).

The TKO board and the CEO really run WWE, but they give Trips freedom who gives the writers and performers freedom.

Funny enough, The Rock is a board member. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm asking because I haven't watched the WWE in quite some time (I'm an AEW guy), and I'm legitimately curious...

Have the shows since 'Mania cut down on all the talking? Is there more of a focus on the actual, um...wrestling?

Because I had read that the first Raw after 'Mania opened with a 47 minute talk/promo segment between The Rock and Cody Rhodes. And if that's the case, I'm curious to know what feels different to people about the Levesque era than the era that proceeded it.

I'm not pooping on the WWE. I'm forever part of team "let people like things", and if people are enjoying the Fed right now, I'm happy for them. I'm just curious what people feel is separating Levesque's direction from what came before.

There is still lots of talking, but it’s way more entertaining and it seems they are opening the show lately with really strong promo’s rather than matches. 

The whole presentation of the shows are just different now, hard to explain but I’m finding less boring periods to skip through. 

Storylines have been revamped and have much more depth and are intertwining with each other. 

I think this Era will go down as better than the Attitude Era. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Storylines have been revamped and have much more depth and are intertwining with each other. 

I think this Era will go down as better than the Attitude Era. 

Thanks for the response.

I read a fairly long article the other day on The Ringer that went into detail about the years-long Bloodline storyline, Paul Heyman's influence on long term storytelling, and the general pivot towards an approach that almost mimics serial drama TV series. I believe they sort of tongue-in-cheek referred to it as the "Succession Era" (after the TV show).

I do think layered, intertwining, long term storytelling makes pro wrestling better and more interesting. They have AEW beat by a country mile when it comes to that aspect of things. If you could combine the WWE's current storytelling and video packages with AEW's in-ring wrestling, you'd have the GOAT wrestling product.

Edited by Logic

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the response.

I read a fairly long article the other day on The Ringer that went into detail about the years-long Bloodline storyline, Paul Heyman's influence on long term storytelling, and the general pivot towards an approach that almost mimics serial drama TV series. I believe they sort of tongue-in-cheek referred to it as the "Succession Era" (after the TV show).

I do think layered, intertwining, long term storytelling makes pro wrestling better and more interesting. They have AEW beat by a country mile when it comes to that aspect of things. If you could combine the WWE's current storytelling and video packages with AEW's in-ring wrestling, you'd have the GOAT wrestling product.

Absolutely, I will say the quality of performers has gone through the roof as well. I think they are being given more in-ring creative freedom and it shows. 

I grew up a wrestling fan, but stoped watching around 2003 for a while. In 2011 or 2012 I got back into it, but man the product was just plain bad. I was more into the behind the scenes and production aspect. 

Selling to TKO, AEW competition,  McMahon getting forced out (twice), and honestly the Roman Reigns Bloodline Saga saved WWE and probably main stream pro wrestling. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Absolutely, I will say the quality of performers has gone through the roof as well. I think they are being given more in-ring creative freedom and it shows. 

I grew up a wrestling fan, but stoped watching around 2003 for a while. In 2011 or 2012 I got back into it, but man the product was just plain bad. I was more into the behind the scenes and production aspect. 

Selling to TKO, AEW competition,  McMahon getting forced out (twice), and honestly the Roman Reigns Bloodline Saga saved WWE and probably main stream pro wrestling. 

I was in the same boat, as far as growing up a (diehard) wrestling fan, but stopping around 2003. 

My re-entry into wrestling was more recent. Probably 2019 or so. I started out by subscribing to WWE Network and doing a chronological "re-watch" of 90s WWF and WCW. It reminded me how much I used to love it, but I just could NOT get into the modern WWE product at all. I was always into the WRESTLING aspect of pro wrestling, and modern WWE did absolutely nothing for me in that regard.

Then I started hearing about a guy named Kenny Omega and what he was doing over in Japan against Jericho. Watched a few matches and loved it. When I heard he was starting a promotion in the States, I had to check it out. I immediately loved the in-ring product, many of the new wrestlers I learned about, and things like win-loss record for each wrestler being displayed, rankings that determined title contenders, etc.. It made the product feel more like a legitimate sport, even though of course we all know it's not. Then they got a big TV deal, good production values, and brought in Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross, and I was hooked. It has brought me fully back into the fold of pro wrestling, and I'm so thankful for it.

The current AEW roster is one of the most stacked I've ever seen, particularly with the recent NJPW signings.

Kenny Omega, Bryan Danielson, Hangman Page, Adam Cole, MJF, Kazuchika Okada, Will Ospreay, Switchblade Jay White, Jon Moxley, FTR, Young Bucks, Takeshita, Samoa Joe, Swerve Strickland, Eddie Kingston, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara, Orange Cassidy, Claudio Castagnoli, Miro, etc, etc...

Just so, so much elite wrestling talent right now. I'd love for them to hire some old WWE creative hands to improve the storytelling aspects, but...nothing matches their in-ring product, IMO. I love it.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I was in the same boat, as far as growing up a (diehard) wrestling fan, but stopping around 2003. 

My re-entry into wrestling was more recent. Probably 2019 or so. I started out by subscribing to WWE Network and doing a chronological "re-watch" of 90s WWF and WCW. It reminded me how much I used to love it, but I just could NOT get into the modern WWE product at all. I was always into the WRESTLING aspect of pro wrestling, and modern WWE did absolutely nothing for me in that regard.

Then I started hearing about a guy named Kenny Omega and what he was doing over in Japan against Jericho. Watched a few matches and loved it. When I heard he was starting a promotion in the States, I had to check it out. I immediately loved the in-ring product, many of the new wrestlers I learned about, and things like win-loss record for each wrestler being displayed, rankings that determined title contenders, etc.. It made the product feel more like a legitimate sport, even though of course we all know it's not. Then they got a big TV deal, good production values, and brought in Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross, and I was hooked. It has brought me fully back into the fold of pro wrestling, and I'm so thankful for it.

The current AEW roster is one of the most stacked I've ever seen, particularly with the recent NJPW signings.

Kenny Omega, Bryan Danielson, Hangman Page, Adam Cole, MJF, Kazuchika Okada, Will Ospreay, Switchblade Jay White, Jon Moxley, FTR, Young Bucks, Takeshita, Samoa Joe, Swerve Strickland, Eddie Kingston, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara, Orange Cassidy, Claudio Castagnoli, Miro, etc, etc...

Just so, so much elite wrestling talent right now. I'd love for them to hire some old WWE creative hands to improve the storytelling aspects, but...nothing matches their in-ring product, IMO. I love it.

Have pretty much the same story bringing me into AEW as you. A few of the big names on your list are currently our and injured, (Omega, MJF, Cole), which is really hurting them at the moment but even so the roster is still pretty remarkable.

They just have really been struggling in the story department lately. Hopefully they can turn it around soon. WWE is really hot right now and it would be great for everyone to have some competition like the old "Monday Night Wars" days.

I am interested in checking out this past mania even though I haven't watched WWE in a while. From the sounds of it the show was pretty good.