Would a trade for DK Metcalf be possible given his current contract??

47 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Stats are for losers. Watch how differently they catch the ball

...how differently they run after catch how much more open he gets...how much attention he gets from def and still produces.  

These players aren't in the same stratosphere. 

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

We could do that, I’m hoping we follow the Rousseau/Basham approach. This draft is lucratively deep at wideout. I’m hoping for a Brian Thomas Jr/Xavier Legette type of approach with a few OL/bodyguards for Josh in the 4th/5th RD.

I think we need an eventual replacement for Da'Quan Jones that can't take later than Round 2. We also need to shore up some depth in the secondary and at RB which to me more important than getting two WRs. I'm okay getting one in the first 2 rounds but not both.

21 hours ago, Billl said:

81 targets for 45 catches, 746 yards, 7 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.2 yards per target

119 targets for 66 catches, 1114 yards, 8 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.4 yards per target

That’s Gabe and DK. 

Wow they are literally the exact same player lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Billl said:

81 targets for 45 catches, 746 yards, 7 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.2 yards per target

119 targets for 66 catches, 1114 yards, 8 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.4 yards per target

That’s Gabe and DK. 

Uh yeah, that's Gabe and DK. DK regularly gets himself in more favorable positions which means he gets 2.67 more targets per game than Gabe which is a whopping difference in NFL terms. He produces like this despite teams specifically game planning to stop him and with a much worse QB than Allen throwing him the ball.

How did you think this post made the point you were trying to make?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Uh yeah, that's Gabe and DK. DK regularly gets himself in more favorable positions which means he gets 2.67 more targets per game than Gabe which is a whopping difference in NFL terms. He produces like this despite teams specifically game planning to stop him and with a much worse QB than Allen throwing him the ball.

How did you think this post made the point you were trying to make?

Yes, he gets a ton more targets but he doesn’t put up all that much more production.  In 2022, Metcalf had 50 more targets.  He wound up with 200 more yards and one fewer TD than Davis.  I’m pretty sure Davis could have equaled his yardage total had he been forcefed the ball the way Metcalf was.  

Last season, Metcalf had 30 more targets.  He had 350 more yards and 1 more TD.  So over the past 2 seasons, Metcalf has had 550 more yards and the same number of TDs on 80 more targets.  

I’m not trying to say that they’re equal players.  Metcalf is significantly better than Davis, but the margin isn’t nearly as wide as people here think.  DK is wildly over-rated here and Davis was always wildly under appreciated.  Guys who put up 7 TDs a season don’t grow on trees.

There isn't a "Keep some cap like the Bills did" in the NFL. 

This isn't the NHL. There is no "negotiating' cap space in roster movement. For the most part teams can either restructure existing contracts which is a predetermined formula, cut, or extend (to move some things around). There are no Jeff Skinner situations in the NFL where you try and move a player and negotiate what you keep and what you don't. 

That said DK's dead cap number is much higher than his cap hit on the roster. It wouldn't make any sense for Seattle to move on before June 1 if at all. 

Edited by Mango

23 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He is somewhat living off of his 2020 season still, which was close to elite. 

But his yards per target over the last 4 years is actually higher than Diggs 4 years here in Buffalo.

DK would be a Davis replacement not a Diggs replacement. You don't pay DK the kind of money he will likely command when you pay your QB top tier money.

That said, if DK is willing to take ~$12M-ish when his contract is up.*

(He won't)

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

If Keenan Allen was traded for a 4th, DHop isn’t going for anything more than a 5th and it would think even that’s pushing it 

I would gladly take DHop for a 5th, but I don't think you are considering the salary's of the two.  Keenan is a $20M underperformer, kind of like Diggs.  DHop is a $13M WR outperforming his contract.  Part of the value for trading for DHop is he has a desirable contract in place - although you would juice that up a bit but are able to craft it in a way that you like.

Personally in terms of expected performance for next year, in my mind DHop > Diggs (at least in Buff, overall DHop = Diggs).

• Agree 1

We need some dudes.  Metcalf is one of those.  He steps up in the playoffs.  He doesn’t get bullied by DB’s when the refs let everything go in the playoffs.  He does the bullying.  All our skill players are cost controlled for at least 2 years.  Trade next years 1st and give him $20m per year over next 3 years.  Then draft an O-Lineman at 28 and a WR at 60.  

9 hours ago, Billl said:

Yes, he gets a ton more targets but he doesn’t put up all that much more production.  In 2022, Metcalf had 50 more targets.  He wound up with 200 more yards and one fewer TD than Davis.  I’m pretty sure Davis could have equaled his yardage total had he been forcefed the ball the way Metcalf was.  

Last season, Metcalf had 30 more targets.  He had 350 more yards and 1 more TD.  So over the past 2 seasons, Metcalf has had 550 more yards and the same number of TDs on 80 more targets.  

I’m not trying to say that they’re equal players.  Metcalf is significantly better than Davis, but the margin isn’t nearly as wide as people here think.  DK is wildly over-rated here and Davis was always wildly under appreciated.  Guys who put up 7 TDs a season don’t grow on trees.

Gabe is much more of a Marquez Valdes Scantling comp than he is a comp to Metcalf.    

Gabe and MVS have benefitted immensely from playing their entire careers with elite QB's and being a complementary option.

When given opportunities to step up in class........they have both wilted.

Metcalf is similar stylistically,  but he's clearly on a different level.   He is often tasked with going against the opponents top CB and has produced despite non-elite QB play.   Btw.....as you know, you cherry picked Metcalf's catch %........which is over 60% for his career versus Gabe's  career 54.5%.   

And as @BuffaloRebound also noted.........due to his physicality DK becomes a much more effective player in the playoffs when the yellow hankies get tucked away.    Gabe gets called "playoff Gabe" as he has put up 68 yards per game and 6 TD in 7 games..........but Metcalf has averaged 113 yards per game and scored 5 TD in 4 games.  

Is DK worth the top of the market $ for a WR?   No, but he's probably worth somewhere in the middle of that and what Gabe and MVS have been paid on their 2nd contracts.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1