Michigan getting ready to set the draft record

Don’t think there is better in terms of top to bottom drafted talent than that Miami Hurricanes team in 2002. 16 is an insane number, could build a 1/3 of an NFL roster lol

On 3/27/2024 at 9:21 PM, boyst said:

Like two of them will have NFL careers. McCarthy ain't gonna be one of them.

That's a pretty sweeping statement.

What, total as backups, role-players, ST-ers, etc.?

On 3/27/2024 at 9:50 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I almost feel like Roman Wilson is a potential Bills draft pick as he's one guy I see almost no one talk about.

I really like this kid as a sleeper pick in the second if we don't get one at 28.

25 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's a pretty sweeping statement.

What, total as backups, role-players, ST-ers, etc.?

Unfortunately it's not. Looking back at a lot of these national champion teams in the last several years it's hard to find more than two players to put together much more than a four to five year career versus the stardom everyone wants to anoint the Johnny come lately team up north

On 3/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

ESPNs latest 7 round mock draft has 16 Wolverines being selected this braking the previous record of the Joe Burrow LSU team and I admit there is some guys here who’d I love in Buffalo to add especially some of those day 3 guys 

Actually Georgia holds the record of 15 players taken in a 7 rd draft from just two years ago.

1st rd - 5 Dawgs - Walker (1st overall), Jordan Davis (13th), Quay Walker (22nd), Wyatt (28th) and Cine (32nd)

2nd rd - Pickens and Cook

3rd rd - Dean and Tindall

4th rd - White & Camarda

6th rd - Shaffer, Salyer, Kendrick & FitzPatrick

https://theathletic.com/4179169/2022/04/30/georgia-breaks-nfl-draft-modern-record-with-15-players-selected-in-2022-most-in-7-round-format/

LSU had 14 in Joe Burrows year with Burrow, Chase and Jefferson leading the way.

Go Dawgs! ;)

Edited by GASabresIUFan

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Unfortunately it's not. Looking back at a lot of these national champion teams in the last several years it's hard to find more than two players to put together much more than a four to five year career versus the stardom everyone wants to anoint the Johnny come lately team up north

Wow, just took a look.  Nice catch!  

Bama was like that for a bunch of years a while back too.  

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Oh I see you’re a Buckeye fan maybe since JJ isn’t there anymore you’ll get the next one. 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh I see you’re a Buckeye fan maybe since JJ isn’t there anymore you’ll get the next one. 

No, seriously. Go look at the last maybe ten national championship rosters and you'll see. I think Miami was the last that dressed a bunch of NFL starters. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Wow, just took a look.  Nice catch!  

Bama was like that for a bunch of years a while back too.  

It's amazing isn't it? 2018 with Alabama could be strong as there are several out there still going far but that's the most recent NCAA class to have a national championship team with more than a few starters for a few years. 

Before that it really makes you appreciate what Miami and U Florida had to have so much talent for a while

Just now, boyst said:

It's amazing isn't it? 2018 with Alabama could be strong as there are several out there still going far but that's the most recent NCAA class to have a national championship team with more than a few starters for a few years. 

Before that it really makes you appreciate what Miami and U Florida had to have so much talent for a while

It really is.

Miami's program isn't even a thing anymore.  Kinda sad.  

I've been pounding the table for Mike Sainristil since 2022. I would love to see how Sean McDermott could coach him up.

Kris Jenkins and Roman Wilson have very good potential, and Zak Zinter would be a higher draft pick had it not been for his leg injury.

12 hours ago, boyst said:

The 2016 Bama team is the exception. That had six guys who have gone on to be NFL all pros. Calvin Ridley, Ryan Kelly, Derrick Henry, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Marlon Humphrey and Eddie Jackson. And then there are a bunch of others who have had decent careers - Jonathan Allen, Jarran Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, OJ Howard and Cam Robinson. 

Those two Bama - Clemson national title games in 2016 and 2017 were chocked full of guys who have been good to great NFL players. I believe them to be the two best college football games in terms of standard I have ever watched.

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I've been pounding the table for Mike Sainristil since 2022. I would love to see how Sean McDermott could coach him up.

Kris Jenkins and Roman Wilson have very good potential, and Zak Zinter would be a higher draft pick had it not been for his leg injury.

I like Zak Zinter in terms of value where he will go and talent the best of all the Michigan guys. I think he could end up a starting guard for a decade and you can get him day 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The 2016 Bama team is the exception. That had six guys who have gone on to be NFL all pros. Calvin Ridley, Ryan Kelly, Derrick Henry, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Marlon Humphrey and Eddie Jackson. And then there are a bunch of others who have had decent careers - Jonathan Allen, Jarran Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, OJ Howard and Cam Robinson. 

Those two Bama - Clemson national title games in 2016 and 2017 were chocked full of guys who have been good to great NFL players. I believe them to be the two best college football games in terms of standard I have ever watched.

I like Zak Zinter in terms of value where he will go and talent the best of all the Michigan guys. I think he could end up a starting guard for a decade and you can get him day 3. 

I did miss that team somehow, hard to get good depth charts on older teams beyond just a roster. I had been going back on my cell phone for teams after 14-15ish. I had started after the early Miami run of the 00's on my work computer and needless to say I will never work on a computer without 3 screens. It has spoiled me.

I didn't factor in teams where a team had a guy go on to NFL success and he didn't start or get significant backup time. Like the years with najee Harris and others at Alabama - and I don't consider Harris a good NFL player.