Apple Being Sued For Green Bubble Shaming

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think you're being disingenuous as @Augie is.  "I don't care about stuff, buy I care about stuff" argument. 

Granted... If you just made the argument that sticking with Apple is just plain easier, you'd get no complaint out of me that their devices are easier to run. Like a standard shift vehicle vs. an automatic transmission.  A lotta people can run both, like 18% of the population... But you'd never catch 13% of that 18% running the harder machine again out of choice... Why I can respect @Gugny's point... BUT he was manipulated into that point.  They got his money for life and innovation will now go down.

ONLY Apple can make both machines run smoother... They possess the easier technology to do so.   It's solely up to them,  yet they won't.  It's all about getting everyone onto the same architecture.  To Apple, we should all be driving around with Apple automatic transmissions where they get a cut of everyone's money.  Maybe they should, but only for a certain amount of time.  

My, my, my…. someone is pretty prickly about his phone!   😋

Look, I agree Apple should adapt to make things more seamless when dealing with non-Apple devices if it can be done easily. It is probably a calculated and dirty business philosophy. But on the list of things that bother me, you will find this somewhere near the bottom, and you’ll have to dig for a while to get there. It’s a phone, and it does what I need it to do. I didn’t get an Apple phone to make a statement about anything. It’s what we got when cell phones became available, and it’s what we still use.  They piss me off when updates kill them, but I still have an iPhone. 

A cell phone, no matter who makes it, is just for convenience in life. It’s a tool, not a status symbol. I think of cars and a lot of other “stuff” the same way. As long as it does what I want it to do, it’s all good.  There is nothing disingenuous about that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Augie said:

My, my, my…. someone is pretty prickly about his phone!   😋

Look, I agree Apple should adapt to make things more seamless when dealing with non-Apple devices if it can be done easily. It is probably a calculated and dirty business philosophy. But on the list of things that bother me, you will find this somewhere near the bottom, and you’ll have to dig for a while to get there. It’s a phone, and it does what I need it to do. I didn’t get an Apple phone to make a statement about anything. It’s what we got when cell phones became available, and it’s what we still use.  They piss me off when updates kill them, but I still have an iPhone. 

A cell phone, no matter who makes it, is just for convenience in life. It’s a tool, not a status symbol. I think of cars and a lot of other “stuff” the same way. As long as it does what I want it to do, it’s all good.  There is nothing disingenuous about that. 

Isn't this everything in life? There really should be no status symbols or social stratification.  If there are any of these symbols or hierarchy in one's life, then they are being disingenuous claiming what you're claiming.  Evertning is basically a tool from where one lives, what they do, to what they use in life.

I am just poking fun at both sides. People love their logos.  Enjoy what you enjoy.

Apple is causing the standardization problem.  EU got them on board with their proprietary cables. US will get them onboard with how they talk to the world outside their walled garden. Apple is the one's causing the issues.

Again... Should they be paid for their innovation? Most definitely, but only for a limited time.

We were here before with Microsoft and IE.  What were people's take on that 25 years ago?  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I don’t understand how the government or the legal system has the right to tell any business how they have to offer their software.   If Apple was a monopoly, then sure.  But Android has a huge market share.  

Personally, I’m glad they added usb-c and I hope they integrate iMessage and sms.  But I believe that’s apples decision to make, no one else’s. 

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t understand how the government or the legal system has the right to tell any business how they have to offer their software.   If Apple was a monopoly, then sure.  But Android has a huge market share.  

Personally, I’m glad they added usb-c and I hope they integrate iMessage and sms.  But I believe that’s apples decision to make, no one else’s. 

What was your take on Microsoft & IE years ago?

It's an antitrust suit:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2024-03-21/apple-doj-lawsuit-consumers

Android has more market share throughout the world... But in US, it's flipped. Like 70/30 and growing.

The government has evert right to check monopolistic behavior... Especially when it's interstate communication. 

Standardization is good. Walled gardens bad.

Honestly I don't even fully understand the functional problem.  I've got an iphone and have never had an issue texting a soul on this planet.  Sorry to hear some people have issues, and I am very against monopolistic corporate moves

but

On Apple, a few notes.  I'm basically the opposite of most current Apple users- I've primarily used their products for hugely complex creative work in eras where the finest offerings from Microsoft and other platforms just absolutely didn't work for years after Apple products were fully functional, and then later were not reliable, or required as much time dealing with the temperamental operating systems as doing the actual work.  SGI had its moment for 3D, but beyond that you had the functional ecosystem of a Mac, or you had garbage.  

PC nerds would tout how fast their system was, as they produced nothing.  Of course that changed, and the hardware advances finally allowed the PC world to become functional, and certainly overtake the Mac, at times by quite a lot (still a crap operating system imho)

Tech is constantly evolving, people who wouldn't have a clue about what I know now have me over a barrel about how texting has been ruined by something-or-other.  Next week they'll say, 'google, make me an Oscar-winning film'.  

Funny this thread hit on the manual transmission.  I'm definitely in the top 95% of manual transmission-shifters worldwide.  Wanna race?

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What was your take on Microsoft & IE years ago?

It's an antitrust suit:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2024-03-21/apple-doj-lawsuit-consumers

Android has more market share throughout the world... But in US, it's flipped. Like 70/30 and growing.

The government has evert right to check monopolistic behavior... Especially when it's interstate communication. 

Standardization is good. Walled gardens bad.

Totally agree, though I don't recall the 96 million software developers having such a problem with all of this while Apple only had a consistent 4% of the market.   Funny how concerns and lawsuits emerge when you find out you've aligned with the wrong horse. 

A girlfriend of mine asked me what I thought she should invest in, I pointed to my edit system and said Apple's figured it out- It's the only legitimate thing that functions.  It's still true today, none of the other platforms come close to the consistent, simple and reliable platform Apple provides. 

We broke up after a while so no Idea how it worked out, but if she invested in Apple when she asked in the late 90's,  she'd have 130k for every $100 she'd invested.   I wasn't an investing type... oops. 

I think iPhone has easily won the battle of 'what is a phone'.  Just break up Apple's iPhone into 5 competing companies, like Ma Bell,  and let Android and the other clunky systems fall by the wayside.  

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Totally agree, though I don't recall the 96 million software developers having such a problem with all of this while Apple only had a consistent 4% of the market.   Funny how concerns and lawsuits emerge when you find out you've aligned with the wrong horse. 

I don't think it's about picking a wrong horse. Nothing to do with apps. It's standardization of the way two phones communicate.

Personally as an Android user, I don't mind... If you're in a group text with say iOS users and you're phone blows up... It's time to delete everything and get out of the conversation.  Or... Say a family thread, they send you all kinds of shi... 😆🤣

Still... Phones need to basically work the same and it's Apple that purposely breaks the standardization so they sell more phones and keep people hooked for life. It's predatory, especially on teenagers... They are more likely to fall for the silly status of such things.

Maybe in respect the way Apple communicate via text, media is better... They should get paid for it... But time should run out on the proprietary nature of such innovation and be open to standardization... We're going on 20 years of the smartphone.  That standardization will drive new innovation.  The almighty buck is a good driver of innovation. 

It's really the governments role to standardize the communication between the two gardens. Everything else can stay the same.

We don't drive on whatever side of the road a state chooses and then piecemeal in crossovers at each state line/border. Sure most of the time those crossovers would work... But the chaos it creates during peak times would be insane.

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't think it's about picking a wrong horse. Nothing to do with apps. It's standardization of the way two phones communicate.

Personally as an Android user, I don't mind... If you're in a group text with say iOS users and you're phone blows up... It's time to delete everything and get out of the conversation.  Or... Say a family thread, they send you all kinds of shi... 😆🤣

Still... Phones need to basically work the same and it's Apple that purposely breaks the standardization so they sell more phones and keep people hooked for life. It's predatory, especially on teenagers... They are more likely to fall for the silly status of such things.

Maybe in respect the way Apple communicate via text, media is better... They should get paid for it... But time should run out on the proprietary nature of such innovation and be open to standardization... We're going on 20 years of the smartphone.  That standardization will drive new innovation.  The almighty buck is a good driver of innovation. 

It's really the governments role to standardize the communication between the two gardens. Everything else can stay the same.

We don't drive on whatever side of the road a state chooses and then piecemeal in crossovers at each state line/border. Sure most of the time those crossovers would work... But the chaos it creates during peak times would be insane.

First and foremost, I have no idea what the issue is- I don't believe I've ever had a messed up text session with anyone due to the platform either of us uses. 

I'm really not an Apple crusader, but I'm a big fan of things that work... and British cars. 

Androids are the British cars in the US.  ***** happens when you're competing against Toyota. Sure you can put 4 wheels, an engine and a gearbox in the thing, but that doesn't mean we have to protect your competitive market.  

Posted (edited)

This is why I am team Android since day one. It has finally taken Apple 17 years to adapt this.  😆 

https://www.androidauthority.com/apple-copy-android-more-customizable-home-screen-3427873/

23 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

First and foremost, I have no idea what the issue is- I don't believe I've ever had a messed up text session with anyone due to the platform either of us uses. 

I'm really not an Apple crusader, but I'm a big fan of things that work... and British cars. 

Androids are the British cars in the US.  ***** happens when you're competing against Toyota. Sure you can put 4 wheels, an engine and a gearbox in the thing, but that doesn't mean we have to protect your competitive market.  

Apples "work" because they break others or limit things, take control. Read my above link. It's taken Apple 17 years to adapt customization.  They will release it and the iSheeple will eat it up as "new." 😆 

Oh, British cars leak oil like a sieve.  😆 

Toyota motors sludge. Frames rot. 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

About 5 years ago I tried to switch from apple to android.  I gave up after a year because non of the Android stuff worked consistently.   I mean none of it. 

I had to buy a new PC laptop to work with some Govt software, and I use it sparingly.  It’s always a nightmare to use with updates/spam Microsoft BS etc etc.  My aging MacBook and iPhone just cruise along without an issue-ever. 

why I’ll never go back to PC. 

as far as a status symbol none of this crap should be or intended to be.   Heck no don’t even use a case or anything on my phone because then what’s the point of a nice coloured phone?  Even though it’s scratched and beat to crap 

11 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

A girlfriend of mine asked me what I thought she should invest in, I pointed to my edit system and said Apple's figured it out- It's the only legitimate thing that functions.  It's still true today, none of the other platforms come close to the consistent, simple and reliable platform Apple provides. 

We broke up after a while so no Idea how it worked out, but if she invested in Apple when she asked in the late 90's,  she'd have 130k for every $100 she'd invested.   I wasn't an investing type... oops. 

I think iPhone has easily won the battle of 'what is a phone'.  Just break up Apple's iPhone into 5 competing companies, like Ma Bell,  and let Android and the other clunky systems fall by the wayside.  

I’m a freelance fcpX editor, but Premier Pro has the edge IMO, although I still have a soft spot for the Avid Media Composer, the system I cut my teeth on

On 3/24/2024 at 9:03 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

We were here before with Microsoft and IE.  What were people's take on that 25 years ago?  

I think the exact quote from people 25 years ago was, "The crap don't work anyhow, and my doctor can't help me get rid of these kind of viruses."

*****, Microsoft hadn't even blessed the world with Windows Vista at that point.  Everyone was running for cover and trying to discover the 'wonders' of running XP at home.  

meanwhile those of us on the evil Macintosh were playing an old copy of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.  

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is why I am team Android since day one. It has finally taken Apple 17 years to adapt this.  😆 

https://www.androidauthority.com/apple-copy-android-more-customizable-home-screen-3427873/

Apples "work" because they break others or limit things, take control. Read my above link. It's taken Apple 17 years to adapt customization.  They will release it and the iSheeple will eat it up as "new." 😆 

Oh, British cars leak oil like a sieve.  😆 

Toyota motors sludge. Frames rot. 😆 

whoa, so you're telling me I won't even have to remember if my grocery store club app is on the third right swipe, or is it the 4th?? .. what a powerful powerful feature.  )

In case I didn't mention it, I couldn't care less about the Apple/Android fight- II just want things that function... except for British cars... they don't have to function, they just have to be. 

*A note to our British friends, I truly do love the optimism of a people who live in one of the wettest countries on the planet, yet have made more convertibles per capita than any other nation,  relentlessly, and in good times and in bad.  I currently own a gem off your production lines and, allah willing, will own more of your lovely cars before I am done.  

**British electrical systems are significantly better than Bosch IMHO

On 3/23/2024 at 10:16 AM, Augie said:

Hey, it’s just a phone.  Who has such a personal relationship with a phone? Mine does what I want it to do, it works. It’s not special, it just works. 

This reminds me of someone I worked with years ago who bought a Saturn car. It was such a big deal to them they joined a Saturn car club. I don’t have that kind of relationship with……stuff. Get a life. 

The “iSheeple” thing is an odd way to label people. I’m not big on labels, but does everyone with an Apple product fit the silly, demeaning term? It’s what I have. I’m not married to it. 

You need an attitude adjustment. Report to the nearest iDucation center immediately.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Green text is God's way of indicating who is smart and who is poor.

the price of the galaxy ultra line is equal or beyond the iphone with better benchmark metrics.

the green text is the symbol of the children unable to grasp the technology of the future and cling to their boomer clutches.

Edited by boyst